Sulzer Employee Reviews

Don't apply for a job there!
Electrical Fitter/Wireman (Former Employee) –  Larbert, Falkirk27 November 2019
Terrible management, haven't got a clue on man management, don't listen to employees, 2 faced workers, like working in a snakepit. No real health and safety either. Horrendous place to work!!
Comfortable but unpredictable
Mechanical Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Portishead, Somerset26 June 2019
Working as part of a smaller team (around 14 engineers) was, for the most part, enjoyable. Occasionally the workshop became overcrowded but it did feel like we were a closely knit team and got along well as colleagues.

The scope of work I saw and worked with was vast and challenging in a positive way.

With the nature of the service industry came unpredictable hours when the was and emergency or a job that was running behind schedule.

the communication between departments and the general management system always an issue.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
productif and fun workplace
MIG Welder (Former Employee) –  TIG, UK11 April 2019
the most pleasant on this job was good relationship with colleagues . the most difficult is physical fatigue because of work for 12 hours.
I learned new technics of welding.
also I liked to roabotat on departure. to happen in the different countries
Pros
free lunches
Cons
overtime
Work experience (Former Employee) –  Southampton24 January 2019
Enjoyed the work environment and all aspects of the company. It was a great challenges and accomplishments with a rewarding career and roles. Nothing but a positive place.
Pros
Great people, perks, work atmosphere
High turnover of staff. bad management .
Mechanical (Former Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk11 December 2018
This is a company that treats people with very little respect. Would recommend you stay well clear, high turn over of staff and low morale amongst it shop floor workers
Horrible
Fitter/Turner (Former Employee) –  Falkirk7 December 2018
Full of false promises and blatent lies from management.
Progression is dependant on how cosy you are with management and nothing to do with skill or experience.
Morale in the works is through the floor, with a them and us atmosphere between management and workers.
Pressured to do overtime and no real work/life balance.
High turnover of staff other than old school workers from dowding and mills days.
Pros
Offshore possible, few good guys.
Cons
Everything else
Recent decline from HQ
Works Manager (Current Employee) –  Sulzer6 November 2018
From a local point of view the workplace is great however the lack of support and poor management from Head office make the role near impossible.
i did learn everything i know from sulzer/Dowding and mills however there has definitely been a recent decline it morale due to HQ
People i worked with were nice
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Hungerford, Berkshire18 October 2018
The wages are horrendous £7.83 an hour. People that have been there for 29 years are only on a little more. I seen that whilst I was there the majority of the workforce consists of foreign labour. They were also treated better and promoted more within the company. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of safety either. The First day I was sent in with no safety induction and given my first job. Didn't get shown fire exits, toilets or assembly points. I spotted the assembly point whilst sitting in the car for break one day. You wouldn't have been able to use it as people were let to park their cars there.
Pros
Non
Cons
Too many to list.
Go else where
Winder fitter (Current Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk16 August 2018
Management are bullies and are only interested in making profit or themselves look good.
Penny pinching offer great deals to start but don't follow through. Good at short paying employee's even long term workers.
Offer pay rises then don't live up to there promises.
Pros
Overtime
ok
Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Midlands13 January 2018
job and company were capable. made redundant though with many others. Generally enjoyed the work a d most the people. Got to go to many companies which was enjoyable.
learned my trade
ELECTRICAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City21 August 2017
a typical day
working around Aberdeen, learning my apprenticeship and furthering my skills. meeting clients.
what i learned
i spent 4 years learning to be an electrician in offshore, industrial and domestic environments.
hardest part of the job
learning multiple skills at once without slowing down the team.
most enjoyable part
challenging my self, working on boat and rigs and meeting new people.
Pros
working on boats and rigs
Cons
jumping from job to job without completing them
Generally very poor support from senior management.
Mechanical Works Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham14 October 2016
What ever you do for Sulzer it is never enough, Dowding & Mills were a different company altogether. Early starts, no lunch breaks and late finishes. Constantly bombarded by e-mails out of hours by colleagues working overseas.
None of this was a problem to me it was just that it was always the same few people who could be relied on.
Pros
Cons
Too long hours and little support.
SULZER Dowding & Mills (Aberdeen) has a strong & committed workforce.
Divisional Manager (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen19 April 2016
Typical Day:

Meetings with Team Leaders/ Engineers for progress updates or issues needing my attention. Reviewing of project budgets / Quotations & Contracts. Customer liaison, preparation of financial reports. General daily management of two Manufacturing, Production & Service orientated Electro / Mechanical Divisions.

Skills Learned:

SULZER Corporate management training.
IOSH Management.
LEAN facilitator.
ATEX awareness & Ex Authorised person.
Gained a strong commercial acumen in the fast paced Oil & Gas Sector.

Management:

Reported directly to the GM, and part of the QESH management team.

Co-workers:

A strong and committed workforce with a varied mix of skills and personalities.

The hardest part of the job:

Maintaining targets and tight customer deadlines.

Most enjoyable part of the Job:

Developing and improving the work processes, seeing projects through from design concept to implementation.

Achieving production and P&L targets
Customer liaison and account management

Striving to improve on the high standards and quality of work, in both myself and colleagues whom I am responsible for.
Pros
Good work / life balance
Cons
Underinvestment in equipment / facilities and staff training
Messy But An Interesting Inside Look
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ENG5 June 2015
Working in the Oil and Gas industry, especially as a Project Manager means everything is always going wrong and needs to be handled.

A typical day was from 8am to 6pm and split between cubical desks and the work floor with intermittent international travel.

I learned what it takes to lead teams and manage many people from different discipline and a wide range of age groups.

The hardest part of the job is staying on top of things as there are too many moving parts as part of my £7.2m portfoilio under management that can go wrong. Staying calm under pressure and great people skills is critical.
Pros
International Travel, Experience, Responsability
Cons
Stressful, Isolating.
bad place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ENG9 May 2015
not a good place to work. bad management .could not run a pub allways coving their backs and passing the buck. allways cutting back on tools that you need. to do the job
Pros
Cons
all
Electrical / Mechanical Maintenance Fitter (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG15 March 2015
After completing my apprenticeship at the company I was pleased to have been rewarded with a full time job as an electrical / mechanical maintenance fitter working on a variety of equipment in the workshop and on site.
Very good place to work, i have learned a lot
Winder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  Wisbech, ENG15 January 2015
currently i enjoy my job at Sulzer, the team i work within work and get along very well which creates a better working environment. the management within my job role i could not fault.