Suffolk County Council

United Kingdom96 reviews
Featured review
Suffolk County Council selected this as a representative review
Best year of my life!!
I was employed for a fixed term of 1 year on a graduate trainee scheme. I gained a wealth of experience and knowledge in my job role and the team that I worked within went above and beyond to ensure I gained the most out of the year I spent with them. Could not recommend the scheme enough and would encourage anyone that can to apply and work with Suffolk
Supportive employer
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time working in education.Now I need a change. I am fit and healthy and have a lot of work left in me. Suffolk county council are the best employers in the country..
Good
I enjoyed the work. It was a supportive and interesting position working with young people. It was well managed.
It was stressful at times when the young person presented with challenging behaviour but I felt supportive.

I enjoyed designing a programme of study which matched the young person I was teaching. It was a creative and interesting role.
Not good
SCC do not appreciate their workers in the care sector nor do. They understand the challenges faced in care work. Staff are overworked and underpaid and not listened to.
Dedicated staff
Generally, the staff are dedicated to the services provided so in that respect it’s a good place to work.
I think the renumeration is fair and Ts and C’s pretty good but there are no perks and austerity has affected and limited what can be done which is frustrating.
A full on role
Work can be interesting. A Very busy environment sometimes quite challenging. However if you want to get on good training opportunities to increase your qualifications.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Always short staffed
Productive andfun workplace
a lovelyplace to work,it was a disagreement with a colleaugue that caused me to leave
I enjoyed working with the children during my time there, supporting them with their lunch
enjoyable job
friendly staff. good enviroment, fun workplace. worked a morning and evening shift. duties include all aspects of cleaning, light maintainance duties and opening and closing of the premises.
Some offices are fun but some of very serious. Every body busy. Nothing wrong. people working hard. I like it. Hard to find out friends for me.
Very good place to work. I enjoyed every offices. Different cultures. Have to adapt It. Flexible work. I really like this. Also. Other advantage is travel facilities. Some buses are free.
Amazing Management
Staff who are looked after by their managers, if something is wrong then it will be sorted asap, even if its a visit from supervisor to assist, regular training.
Not just a job, a great place to work
If you ask me about Suffolk County Council, then I would say:

- my worklife balance is great

- they support working parents like me

- they support my #FlexibleWorking

- pay is good in Suffolk

- apprenticeships are available

In this role and authority I work with great colleagues who are my friends and that makes it a great place to work.
Pay not great but other benefits
Variety, Good Team, Lots of support,
Not so much inhouse training, sometimes do not feel valued.

Like variety and flexible hours

Open plan working environment sometimes difficult
Enjoyable
Temporary employment only for 3 months, which was fortunately extended to allow me to progress in my learning within the small team I worked with. Manager and other staff were always helpful and courteous and were more than willing to pass on their expertise. Flexi working was also a positive aspect of the job.
Varied workload

Big, friendly team

Varied workload

Progression opportunities
social care
management brilliant, no incitements which makes it challenging to remain in a job with responsibilities expand all the time.

there is a good level of training.
Pros
brilliant work team
Cons
money
Enjoyable role but underpaid
I enjoyed my time working for Suffolk County Council. I enjoyed my job role and found my management team to be supportive and knowledgeable. However, the pay was relatively low and there was no opportunity for it to go up in increments depending on experience and performance. There was also little opportunity to progress within the organisation.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
chef apprentice
the workplace environment was an alright place to work every safe. the people where okay also. but i didn't just do cheffing i also worked along with my mum to do e-safety and am a peer ambassador to help teach and make young children and adults about online.
Pros
Cons
8.9 hours
Standard Office Job
Standard office environment. Not much opportunity to progress, but interesting sometimes. Call centre environment is stressful and you sometimes feel like you are being constantly monitored. Managers will come and grill you if you have been inactive for too long (even if your status is set to after call work which states you are doing online admin/note taking and data input from a previous call). Lunch is monitored and if you go 1 second over your allotted hour your name will flash up in red on a tv screen for everyone to see, and is embarrassing. You are also required to even tell them when you are going to the toilet and they will question if you have been gone for too long. Stressful environment but I guess it is nice to speak to a range of different people. Training is poorly managed and often advisors are put on the phones after only a few days of training which results in you feeling like you have been "thrown in at the deep end" and out of your depth whe customers call with complicated queries.
Flexible working schemes
This job became very administration based due to evolution of the post. The best parts of the job were in relation to developing a network of community Emergency Planning Groups of community volunteers across towns and villages of Suffolk. Running rest centre training for community volunteers, Babergh & Mid Suffolk district Council staff, managers & members. Running the training for Babergh & Mid Suffolk staff in running an emergency control centre and checking the equipment required to do this on a monthly basis was also a large part of the job. maintaing and writing emergency plans for the district council & overseeing the local authority role in certain multi agency plan was also a large part of the post. When an incident occurred then overseeing the running of the district emergency control centres, rest centres and coordinating with the various agencies involved and community volunteers was a critical role & the real reason why the post exists. This post has increased my networking and training skills, remaining calm & clear in a crisis and respecting volunteers.
Pros
mileage if working away from your normal place of work
Cons
Long hours during an incident, but otherwise a good work life balance & on call duties
satisfying work
I enjoyed working for SCC. They treated their employees with respect and believed in good training. Like most industry I suppose they are no longer using their depleted budgets to do this.
A great place to work
I have thoroughly enjoyed working at Suffolk County Council. Work/life balance and flexible working arrangements are excellent and I have enjoyed a long and varied career at the council.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suffolk County Council. Our community is ready to answer.