Suffolk County Council Employee Reviews

satisfying work
project worker (Former Employee) –  bury st eds7 January 2019
I enjoyed working for SCC. They treated their employees with respect and believed in good training. Like most industry I suppose they are no longer using their depleted budgets to do this.
A great place to work
Information Change Manager (Current Employee) –  Ipswich25 November 2018
I have thoroughly enjoyed working at Suffolk County Council. Work/life balance and flexible working arrangements are excellent and I have enjoyed a long and varied career at the council.
Enough responsibility to make job satisfying
Information Librarian (Former Employee) –  Ipswich24 October 2018
Varied post with a supportive manager and a structure that allowed for that support. I met many different clients, was allowed freedom to develop my role and given the opportunity to travel around Suffolk using the company car.
Pros
working flexible hours
Cons
Unnecessary bureaucracy
Fun place to work socially
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Stowmarket, Suffolk10 October 2018
- This was a tough job dealing with incoming calls from the general public all day and took a lot of patience and a caring temperament.
- Break times and lunch times were monitored heavily and it felt like you were back in school
Former Employee SCPHN Lecturer & trainer
Trainer and Assessor (Former Employee) –  Student Health Visitors17 September 2018
I am an extremely experienced Health Visitor, previously a Senior H.V Manager and trainer, who has repeatedly struggled to obtain regular permanent work with Suffolk County Council who currently hold the tender for the Healthy Child Programme in Suffolk.

Not only do they pay their Band 6 Community Nurses £5,000 less than the rest of the U.K. but many of the interviews I have attended have been chaotic, and a "tick-box" mentality has been applied whereby there appears to be little room for creativity or "blue-sky" thinking and you are marked according to a set of "model" answers, even when some of these so-called "model" answers are in fact, clinically & factually incorrect!

As a result most of my experienced H.V colleagues are leaving Suffolk in their droves. I myself have been offered several Band 7 jobs in other parts of the country such as Essex and North London, but never in Suffolk which is frankly ridiculous considering my twenty years' experience as an HV, CPT Practice Teacher and SCPHN Lecturer and Trainer. Shame on you Suffolk County Council !
Pros
Most employees can find work near to where they live.
Cons
Managed by staff who have no experience of the roles they manage
job satisfaction
Adult Education Administrator and Creche Worker (Former Employee) –  Haverhill12 September 2018
I loved working here, the fun and the satisfaction of dealing with people who wanted to improve themselves in whatever class they had enrolled in was inspiring.
2nd Server Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk30 July 2018
Dealing with Server Administration, customer support calls, assisting helpdesk and other teams. Management of hardware and all supported software.
Monitoring of Active Directory products and services, administration of Exchange servers and services.
Group Policy deployment, DHCP, DNS changes.

The most enjoyment part of the job was assisting the customers and colleagues and seeing them happy. Working as a team when things went all wrong like a P1 situation where related teams will get together to fix the issue/fault.

I learned all my IT skills from here, the hardest part for me was writing documentations.
Pros
Flexiable hours
Rated people
Decorator (Former Employee) –  Suffolk28 April 2018
Good at what I do and love decorating just need more now I used to work at R a f military airbase and loved it there at Mildenhall Suffolk great place
never a dull moment
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Suffolk county council25 April 2018
its never a dull moment, with a varied day to day job. Always argument and a lack of team moral. Management never seen on important day. Welcome to a great place.....
Pros
flex time
Cons
nasty team colleagues
Local Government
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk17 April 2018
Standard local government with the same issues and perks as any other county with budget cuts being the ultimate driver of priorities as in ever county.
Not what it used to be
Business Support (Former Employee) –  Suffolk17 April 2018
The council is a very different beast to what it used to be. There are no longer any perks to being a council employee. There has been a pay freeze since 2012 and constant restructuring.
Pros
Cons
Many
Good colleagues
Assistant Special Educational Needs (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk14 March 2018
Flexible working and the excellent food and drink facilities are a bonus. Management were very supportive and there are many support networks within the organisation.
Pros
Walking to work
Cons
Tough decisions
Very harsh and unfriendly workplace
Business Support Administrator / Officer (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft13 March 2018
I would never recommend anyone to work in this local authority as it is a very harsh workplace. There is no freedom to be yourself. You must conform to all their really petty little rules.
Cons
Restrictive
Positive place to work and live
Independent Reviewing Officer (Current Employee) –  Lowestoft21 February 2018
I have worked for Suffolk County Council on many occasions.

Overall it has always been a positive experience and I have met a lot of fantastic colleagues, there is a great emphasis on supporting staff and also making staff feel valued within the work place and within their jobs.

There has always been opportunity to progress and develop, and there have always been opportunities for career progression if this is what you want, and this is also strongly encouraged and supported.

Suffolk is positive about Social Work and has a huge commitment to supporting vulnerable families, and ensuring the workforce is suitably skilled and equipped to do this.

As I have mentioned, I have worked for Suffolk County Council on several occasions over the years and I have always found if a really good place to work, and a really good employer.
Cleaning
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ipswich14 February 2018
Cleaning offices in around ipswich at different places like the registry office and St Helens court. It was an easy job everything supplied and was nice as you were given a 2hr slot and left alone to get on with it.
Cons
It's good work if you can get it!
Highways Technician (Current Employee) –  East Suffolk9 February 2018
When I first started with the council the work as great. I was able to get things done effectively and felt like a valued member of the team. During recent big changes the aspect of the job I enjoy most, serving the public and solving problems, has been made more difficult by removing action I was able to undertake and adding complication to what I am still able to do.
Anyone coming from the private sector or office based role will be amazed at he freedom and variation of this role.
Pros
flexible, great hours, good pension
Cons
Job satisfaction levels have plummeted.
Fun and Adaptable
Apprentice Road Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Ipswich6 February 2018
This was not only just a fun place to work but also a great team to work learn with during my apprenticeship, it was great to work with such a supportive team.
Business Support Officer
e-Safety Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk22 January 2018
General clerical support. The workplace was friendly and supportive as was management. The hardest part of the job was learning all the different processes. The best part is the canteen at Endeavour House.
Pros
Canteen
Cons
No parking
Was a fun job
Midday Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk5 January 2018
I enjoyed working for Suffolk county council it was a rewarding job. I really enjoyed getting out with the play ground with the children, watching them learn and grow was very rewarding for me
Supportive and sensitive employer.
Teacher of Geography/Head of Geography (Former Employee) –  Ipswich20 December 2017
A valued employer. As a teacher the county was second to none in the support and opportunity it provided. The economic downturn in 2008 and previous budget cuts did however impact the quality of services provided by the counties education department.
Pros
Good range of support services
Cons
Working conditons and stress levels excessive.