Sue Ryder Employee Reviews

Started as volunteer, then employed rising to Assistant Manager
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne11 September 2018
This was a good position. Unusually the company gave me a paid job and I rose to be Assistant Manager. (Many charities are loth to give paid work to existing volunteers as the volunteer then needs to be replaced.
Organised and Determined
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire7 September 2018
I have enjoyed my time working at Sue Ryder. The staff are wonderful and the work ethic is straightforward and achievable for all. It is a very passionate place of work and all needs are accounted for.
Pros
Caring Staff
Wonderful Community Spirit
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Petersfield6 September 2018
When working for the charity shops of Sue Ryder you gaina wonderful sense of community within the team you work with. You also gain immense support with daily tasks.
Pros
Community Spirit
Fun and Welcoming Environment
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 September 2018
My volunteer work at this company allowed me an insight into working life, as well as work on and further develop my communication and team working skills. I was able to form relationships with customers and the surrounding community to create a better environment.
productive
Part-Time worker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire5 September 2018
nice atmosphere within warehouse always busy , no 2 days the same as always lots of stock to sort and people to speak to regarding shop requirements/stock.
Fun workplace
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire5 September 2018
Good and fun place to work, meeting new people as volunteers join. Also gives a chance to improve communication skills as you help people with their queries.
Fun Work Experience
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Dewsbury30 August 2018
I had fun in the work experience. I had to make sure that all the items are placed in the correct place and allowed me to understand how to increase customer satisfaction.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port29 August 2018
I have been working here for quiet a while and i find it rewarding and beneficial to my possible career progression within the retail sector. I have gained valuable experience i my short time here.
Friendly and welcoming environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex29 August 2018
Before I volunteered at Sue Ryder I was very nervous around people, I didn't think I'd be able to keep a regular job because of it. Since volunteering I've found a confidence I never knew I had, with the help of my manager and all the other volunteers I now feel like I'm capable enough to get a paying job and get my life on track! Thank you Sue Ryder Care!
Pros
Friendly staff and volunteers, plenty of time for lunch, very welcoming!
Cons
None!
good place to work
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Barnstaple29 August 2018
its a good place to start if you want a good reference on your CV I've been working for Sue Ryder for 3 1/2 years and its the best experience that i could ever make i love the environment there.
Fun work environment
Charity Shop Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Manchester28 August 2018
Everyday its something different there are lots od new donations that need to be organised, labeled, priced and put on the shelf to find its way to someone else, it a wonderful cycle that provides the great charity the donations they need to pay for nurses to do hospice care. To know that you are part of that cycle for a great cause, makes every moment enjoyable.
Pros
knowing that the work that you do goes to great causes for hospice care for people.
Cons
The stores are not as big so everything does get clogged up.
productive warm enviroment
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 August 2018
Whilst working on the sue ryder charity shop work van it was good collecting furniture and goods donated buy people all across Manchester and delivering those good to multiple different Sue Ryder charity shops.
Pros
man and van on your own time
Cons
unhappy customers
productive and fun workplace
volunteer staff member (Former Employee) –  8 Stewartby Ave, Peterborough PE7 8NJ28 August 2018
always had things to do in the shop and to help with, staff were kind as well as very helpful during my work for 3 days. it could get less busy on some days which slowed the work flow down.
Pros
Had a lot of work to do.
Cons
some hours were slow or had no customers.
sales assisstant
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen26 August 2018
Worked here as part of duke of Edinburgh. learned a lot of basic skills here and the value of money while working in a charity shop. Really helpful management
Love it
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chatham, Kent20 August 2018
I love volunteering at Sue ryder the people are so lovely and it's great to know I'm helping people going through tough and scary times... I am proud to be part of this
Pros
People
Cons
Tiring
Fun work place
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Hersham20 August 2018
People are very nice. the work might get repetitive after a while but nothing is difficult or hugely challenging. The hardest part about the job, in my opinion, could be the repetitiveness of it or sometimes the lifting of heavy items.
Pros
Friendly people, not too difficult
Cons
Repretative
Avarage
Shop Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Mirfield19 August 2018
Very lovely to work for and extremely inclusive however the manager at the Mirfield branch is very overbearing. Despite this they are a lovely place to work for.
Loved meeting People
Assistant Manager (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Wells next the Sea, Norfolk18 August 2018
Great Job Loved everything about it Sad to leave as my position was made redundant. Sue Ryder are a charity who provide incredible care through their care homes and Hospices. Many Customers came to tell us how their loved ones were helped by the Charity which gave you a good feeling knowing we were making a difference. A normal day would be taking in donations, making sure shop was well stocked and looking its best. Catching up with paper work, serving . We had a diverse volunteer base and it was great to help them become confident and much valued members of the team. Worst part was losing my job
Pros
Cons
Long days when on your own.
Great company
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire17 August 2018
As a charity the company provides excellent services, which are extended to the employees and everything is done to make the staff feel happy in their roles.
I love it there
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Catford, Greater London16 August 2018
I am very a very hard worker and i like working on the van and i am very polite two customers and i am always on time and i also stay behind too close up and all the other stuff like me there and they appreciate me
Pros
8: 30 till 5 anyway I had to I would have to do over time and keep everything up to date to help out
Cons
15. Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sue Ryder. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2