Sue Ryder
Coronavirus update

Sue Ryder Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,032 reviews
Found 1,032 reviews matching the search
fun workplace whilst also professional
I worked from 11am - 5 pm on Saturdays.
I sorted donations and tidied the shop floor.

when needed I would also work on the till

I would also help bring in everything at the end of the day.
Ok but for the area managers
Area managers would sack store managers to give jobs to there mates, it was common practice.
Some where ok to work fir other not good, Sue Ryder head office didn’t care.
Great company
Absolutely love my job and can’t imagine ever wanting to work anywhere else.
No 2 days are ever the same, it’s a fantastic place to work and I work with some great people
Sue ryder
It was a volunteer job, really enjoyed it, the team is really cool and always smiling to each other ready to help each other good management team morning tasks assigned to everyone
Rewarding job and friendly workplace
Great experience working for a charity
Busy environment & a good place to learn new skills

Friendly and helpful people

Caring culture encourage personal learning and development
Relaxed, supportive, environment.
Overall Sue Ryder's is not just somewhere one works or volunteers it is a place that they can grow and learn in an environment that is perfect for it. It also has a strong community and family environment where one can help out the community and feel rewarded.
Pros
Ample tea and biscuit brakes.
Cons
Variable hours
Excellent company
Excellent company .
Manager very helpful

All queries answered

Many situations to get used to but always had support from manager.

Would recommend this to anyone looking for a good and fulfilling role in society.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Area
Great Atmosphere.
Colleagues make this a place to be, we have a great group of people that I will miss when leaving.
The communication is poor and tends to trickle down to the lower people which in current circumstances is very unsettling.
Poor management
Very poor management in Gloucester/Wales area, bully tactics are the normal and nothing is done when internal complaints are made about her. Told to hardsell lottery tickets for Sue Ryder even the volunteers who don't feel comfortable are made to sell. Was told that sue ryder is a business and not a charity. Told to throw a lot of decent stuff away because it didn't suit her criteria, so a lot of decent donations are thrown away.
Avoid
Beware of volunteering with this company nothing is confidential you get talked about behind your back there's favorites in this job if you're not one you get pushed out when you report anything nothing gets done
Senior Managers need to focus in the right areas
Senior managers need to manage the Regional and Area Managers, some of whom are not up to the job. At store level the atmosphere is really good, with supportive peers and colleges.
Best job ever
Love working there would , definitely recommend Sue Ryder's to anyone who wants a job as a volunteer as they are mainly looking for volunteers still , shop is always clean and tidy but very busy out the back
Simple and boring work place
I tagged and hung clothes and served customers at the till. It was boring and not many customers came in. Sometimes I sat there for hours doing nothing.
No help or support
Area manager rude, unhelpful, would rarely answer emails etc. Never delivered promised support, ie more staff, better advertising.
Always staff fault.
demanding
Quite a hard place to work with lots going on at all times of day and night, it is very busy most of the time with RT, Physio and the hydro pool on offer for residents.
Mostly enjoyed my time
Very fast paced. A tiring busy day.
I did learn some new skills

A lot of the colleagues are nice, though it can be very clicky.

Management aren't hands on and critical.
Staff are ok
The staff are decent , it’s a good experience and the hours are good. You get till trained and the staff will show you how to use the till . You can have a break as well
Poorl managed
The rate of pay is very low for shop managers. The work is very Labour intense, penny pinching all the time, constant negative feed back and they expect volunteers to do far more than they should. If you're not in with the cliques and voice your opinion then higher management can make life very difficult
Residents came last.
Did not like using the cheapest of products and freezing leftovers for residents meals. Coffee shop was closed down as management couldn't be bothered it was a lovely place for residents and families.
Very good
Every day is different. One day I might be inviting our donors to see a production created by our students at the end of term, and the next I could be writing an application to a potential donor, telling them about the lasting changes we are bringing about to women in prison.
Very fast pace with donations
Need to be hands on.working with vulnerable adults as volunteers.need to do fundraising. Need to be well organised and get donations sorted and out onto shop floor.1000 garments per week target.
Pros
Well experienced store managers in area
Cons
Hard to get volunteers.