Subway

Subway Employee Reviews for Team Leader

Team Leader78 reviews
United Kingdom78 reviews
Great job if you're stuck for things to do. The pay is shocking, and there's no much room for growth. But it was stress free, and you get to eat great food.
Pros
Not stressful, friendly, good food
Cons
Shocking pay
This was my first job after college and it was perfect for introducing me to the working world and meeting new people. The teams are small enough that you become close to all your colleagues and you learn alot of skills that can be used in many careers further on.

My only complaints come from how certain franchise owners can treat staff sometimes. They have a habit of prioritizing profits over things such as quality of training. Most of the time they are fair to work around your life with your work schedule however
Pros
Learn lots, retail experience, food hygeine experience
Cons
Low pay, can be alot of work when busy, occasional bad customers
Once you get used to the job you can do it with your eyes shut, although I always felt like timings were very tight and had to be strictly followed, a lot of the time we were understaffed which made the time restrictions a little hard to follow, but all in all I really enjoyed working at Subway and would still be there if circumstances were different.
Company are okay to work for however not concerned for health both physical and mental. Keep staff member alone of shift for opens and close. Had to go on sick leave for two weeks was threatened with losing my job forms where not put through despite being told constantly they have still not been paid sick pay and this was a few months ago!! Not to mention I was never once made to sign a contract 😬
Pros
Food, friendly staff
Cons
No concern for wellbeing
The Wrexham stores are the worst I've ever worked in. The owners have no disregard for their staff, barely even know any of their names even though some people had been there around 5 years. You are constantly left on your own by management sometimes doing a 9 hour shift on your own, doesn't matter if it's busy and the customers are angry because there is nothing you can do because you are on your own. Managers barely ever order the right amount of stock or just don't order at all. If you have a child you can get an amazing 9 hours a week doing three 11am-2pm shifts, despite being told you would be guaranteed 16 hours per week. If you are between the age of 16-18 you may as well say goodbye to the weekends and hello to a whopping £4.20 an hour. If you are above 18 and able to do the close shifts then say hello to working every single day non stop for minimum wage and the owners slave mentality. You never get praise for the good work you do or practically running the shop because the manager is nowhere to be seen. Also if you happen to get sick and take a day or two off welcome to you're not getting any hours for the next two weeks, as a punishment. So overall I rate Subway Wrexham a big fat 10/10 for not recommended and will never recommend. - Xoxo gossip girl
The job is not very demanding, however they do not provide a fair salary or any benefits. It is easy to communicate with management staff, however they do not care about any issues presented to them.
The franchisees that I worked for was really good and understanding people. The only trouble I found with the company is that, they only offer zero our contracts, so you are not guaranteed full-time hours. you could be working 30 hours one week and then working nothing the next.
Working as a team leader at Subway has been by far the worst job I've ever had. The job involves mostly being in the store alone, making and serving food, working the till, cashing up at the end of the night, cleaning and setting the alarms at the end of the night.

-Essentially doing managing the store for minimum wage
During my time I have learnt numerous skills such as handling the cash and safe, dealing with complaints, opening the store, checking deliveries, meat and vegetable prep. Which has helped me gain a lot of skills that i haven't had before.
I have worked at Subway for just under 3 years and I started when I was 16 years old. I became Team Leader and the whole team have been like a family to me. A typical day consist of cleaning and serving customers. the team leader will prep food and do cash handling. I learnt that team work is one of the most important parts of working at subway. My manager has looked after me and always made sure I was welcome. There is always a variety of staff, age variation and culture variation. The hardest part of the job for beginners is dealing with how busy it can get. However the most enjoyable part is that I have now got a family for life.
Pros
Free Food for breaks
Cons
0 hour contracts for some
As this was my first job at a young age i was worried about what it would be like, but the management team there and all of the staff made it real easy to settle in and start learning new things.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours and late nights
every day is different. some days are very busy but when its less busy there is more time to interact with regular customers. there is always something to be done if not serving.
A typical work day included leading the shift
dealing with customer complaints

ordering supplies

handling cash/cashing up

food preparation

Hardest part was stock control.

Enjoyable part was meeting lots of different people.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
paid less than a team member because of my age
Working long hours for a rubbish pay, management was poor, never any communication with the owner, non flexible hours, would be doing a 3-4 hour shift at silly hours of the day. Because of the silly swing shifts, it was hard to plan your days and have a decent social life as well as going to Sixth form most days. Fun if you get on with the people you work with but otherwise your life is a misery.
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
No time for a social life, long hours, rubbish pay
I’ve worked at subway for over 2 years now and I never planned to be there that long. Mines quite a busy store so there’s always lots to do which I suppose is good as it makes the shift go quicker, however with the company that mine is owned by, there have been lots of labour cuts, so I find myself struggling to keep up with the workload, and taking on two or three people jobs at once. Management are strict, and there’s not a lot of team morale going around. There’s not a lot of praise given if you do something well, but heaven forbid you make a mistake. It’s aleight if you’re looking for something to get you by until something better comes along, but I wouldn’t recommend it for a long term job. The work, the customers, the management team, all wear you down and lower your mood.
Pros
Good for gaining experience with customers, free lunch on shift, opportunities to progress onto team leader
Cons
A lot of pressure, especially for team leaders to complete a lot of work in a short space of time, scared to make a single mistake, they deliberately put less staff on than you need to save in wages, and make you do several employees worth of work and expect it to be done in the same amount of time
This is job build a lot of skills, due to the main function of the business which is to sell fresh food. Firstly hygiene, reduction of cross-contamination is highly monitored constantly, this includes cleanliness of the store its self.
Timekeeping is a factor also as it allows, one to be vigilant on the sell-by date of products include vegetables, meat and baked goods.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Very busy on event days and nights
Only enjoyable part was working with fellow employees. Other than that not treated well as staff members. Learn stock control and management and how to deal with deliveries etc.
Working at subway has its perks however i think when working there for 5 years it really starts to take its toll. It is not a forever job and it is definitley not where I would want to spend my career.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours and the managers have a habit of changing your shifts without notice or consultation.
Meant to have 1 day off between Friday and Sunday but hardly happens. You can garuntee the managers take days off though.

Lots of negative feedback, very little positive or constructive. Your fault when something goes wrong but it was all them when something went right.

Staff aren't so bad with them banding together of a hatred for the managers.
Pros
1 free 6 inch, free hot and cold drinks, 25% discount
Cons
Long hours, no consultation for schedule changes, no weekends off
I worked at Subway for more than two years and during my time there I had a passion for providing excellent customer service. While I worked in Subway I also had a variety of rules including greeting costumers, helping with the requests, cleaning up, taking payment, accepting deliveries, safe checks and organising the restaurant.
Pros
Free meals
Bad hours. Bad management. No work/life balance. Draining and constantly working. Rude customers. Working to fit almost impossible time lines. Pressure off management, franchise owners and evaluations. An okay job for a 16 year old in college. Anyone older steer clear as managers belittle you.
Pros
Free lunches