Subway Employee Reviews for Sandwich Maker

Found 201 reviews matching the search See all 38,312 reviews
Good Place to Work!
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Sandwich2 April 2019
A typical day would consist of 8+ hour days, but in a fun environment with friendly people! Great if you like to work as part of a team, as this is beneficial to make sure that the store runs smoothly.
Great management with changes to progress further if you want to.
Lunch time rushes are difficult but the job itself is very rewarding and if you like sandwiches, then you get a free one on your lunch which is a bonus!
Pros
Working as part of a team, free sandwich, good atmosphere!
Cons
Long Hours
Fantastic work placement, incredible staff and management.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough31 March 2019
Had a really good time working there, had to leave due to having a work experience contract allowing only 2 weeks of work unpaid. Overall good experience despite not being paid.
Pros
Free lunch, friendly staff
Cons
Low pay
fun place to work
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Glasgow31 March 2019
i have worked at subway for 7 years amd it is a great company to work for.
i hae really enojoyed my time at this company and i will miss it derarly.
you can get free lunches evry shift you work.
Pros
free lunch
Soul draining
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Sandwich, UK31 March 2019
Working for subway at first was amazing; I’ve worked for two subways overall - and the job itself is not difficult yet what is, is the unbearable hours, poor pay and horrible franchisees and management. There is hardly any support, with franchisees solely focused on money and not the welfare of their employees which is disgusting.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long hours, horrible pay, bad management and horrible franchisees
Awful place to work
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Seacroft31 March 2019
I felt extremely uncomfortable working at Subway. I found that staff members quite intimidating and rude. Long hours with only a short break and a very busy environment.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Minimum wage
Under-appreciated and poorly trained
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Gloucester23 March 2019
Starting at this job i received no training and was expected to get on with the job straight away with no guidance. Help was only given if it was clear you were really struggling, by this point customers were unsatisfied with your service and irritable. The management of the stores was almost always unorganised causing problems with stock which often led to customers complaining to you about something that is out of your control. Perhaps the most irritating thing is none of the hard work you put in, including working through breaks or over time, is appreciated which often caused me to feel extremely unmotivated. The hours are long and strenuous which is not helped by the fact the pay is so low (£5.90 and hour for 18 year olds). The company lost employees on a weekly basis due to dissatisfaction with the work environment not to mention the rude and unprofessional manner of the owner who proceeds to push blame on people without having all the facts.
Pros
£1-£2 sandwiches
Cons
Low pay, long hours, short breaks, stressful and unorganised working envrionment
fun workplace
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire23 March 2019
good place. was my work experience for 2 weeks. staff members were very helpful and encouraging. I was given guidance through each task that i was given.
Pros
free lunches
Horrible.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Dalkeith22 March 2019
Management a shambles; constantly harassing you to work more shifts and changing shifts on the rota without letting you know. Shifts are taken away from you with no notice or communication from anyone.

Often too busy to have any lunch break or break at all. No aircon at all and working with hot ovens all day.

Expected to supervise with no experience or training. Holidays are not noted down when requested on the sheets.

Toxic work environment with gossiping etc.

Expected to work alone on shifts over opening times, closing times and weekends.
Pros
6 inch sub if you get a break
Cons
Bad Management
4 of 5
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom17 March 2019
I did enjoy my time here and helped me develop more skills. However the management was a problem at the time of me working there. This resulted in a bit of conflict between some workers.
Pros
Free Lunch
Easy and safe job
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  Digbeth, UK14 March 2019
I think they were good, but they could have been better with the management. While working at subway I was able to gain more confident by dealing with all sorts of clients.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Less hours
Easy Job, gets boring and monotonous pretty quickly
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire13 March 2019
depending on franchise owner you could any between 4 and 32 hours a week

can get borrowing during slow periods. you get bored of eating free subway pretty quickly
Pros
easy way to kill 5 hours and a make a few quid
Cons
even free subs get boring
Overall good staring job
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 March 2019
I will never forget subway, a wonderful place to start. But with its limited ways to advance it means that if you want to advance you have to look elsewhere.
Pros
Decent pay, nice lunch perks
Cons
no advancement, only two roles: artiest and manager
Subway is awesome!
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Royal Tunbridge Wells13 March 2019
Subway is an excellent opportunity to get into the world of work.
Very flexible shifts, but comes at the cost of a fairly low salary.
There is free food, but be careful of just taking stuff without putting it through the till or telling your manager.
The culture is very sociable, but it may be challenging for people who would consider themselves 'overqualified'. Common sense is a must.
I love working there, and I love serving people beautiful sandwiches. All my colleagues and management are amazing.
Pros
Free food, very flexible hours, relaxed, lovely management, hygienic.
Cons
Insufficient in-store training, not hugely challenging.
My review
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow11 March 2019
Subway was a good work place overall bar a few things that happened to me while working there, good hours, good environment and fairly easy work. The higher management could of been a lot better though.
Not stimulating enough
Sandwich 'artist (Former Employee) –  Ringwood10 March 2019
While the salary was good, the management lacked in order and guidance. I learnt a lot of valuable skills there such as handling petty cash and stock rotation.
Pros
Good pay
Poor
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Sandwich10 March 2019
Was not fun, was underpaid first job. Did not enjoy working at subway at all. However this is a franchise so it will vary from branch to branch so who knows
Cons
Pay
Friendly environment
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2019
Subway Sandwich Artists work in Subway restaurants and are responsible for greeting guests, preparing food, ensuring sanitation standards, explaining menu items to guests, collecting payments, restocking supplies at the sandwich unit area, and doing basic paperwork duties. Based on our selection of example resumes, essential qualifications for the job are a professional appearance, dexterity, customer focus, effective communication, food hygiene knowledge, and teamwork. Most resumes for Subway Sandwich Artists showcase a high school or general education diploma. The employer provides on-the-job training.Good place , friendly atmosphere, good food.As far as fast food goes, Subway is great. They have an excellent system for delivery of the product to the customer.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Insufficient labour
Charity shop
SANDWICH ARTIST (Former Employee) –  Ripon6 March 2019
I learned how to tagg clothes and pricing also did steaming the hardest part off the job were working in a fast pace when busy and the best part was commutating with customers and helping them with any enquiries they wanted
Pros
Communicating with public
Cons
Not enough hours and not paid work
Fun workplace
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 March 2019
It can sometime be enjoyable and productive but it depends on your team. I personally dont enjoy working at subway. The customers are the main reason I enjoy working at subway.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Dont expect benefits or job security
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough2 March 2019
Zero hour contracts, they give you a rota then deduct your 30min unpaid break regardless of if you were able to take it or not, so your actual hours worked are always less than your rota. No staff discount. Poor management. High expectations with unrealistic targets.
Most shifts i was left completly alone, worst time i was alone 12 hours, very busy, card machine was not working and had just 5ps and 1ps to serve customers on the till, management did not care.
There selling style is very pushy, each customer you have at least 10 different offers to push on them, e.g extra cheese, chorizo ect. By the end of serving you and the customer are fed up.
And dont get me started on cutting over 100 onions a day....ouch
Some customers were nice and you can have good relationships with them.
Pros
Some customers were nice, with the right team you could enjoy the job
Cons
Poor pay, unpaid breaks, no free food, no discounts, zero hour contract, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.

511.3K