Subway Employee Reviews for Sandwich Maker

Found 204 reviews matching the search See all 38,424 reviews
An alright place
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Daventry, Northamptonshire7 June 2019
My typical days at Subway were either a 12pm to 4pm or 11:30am till close (7:30pm) which consisted of me making and serving sandwiches to customers, making sure the place was clean and then opening and closing the store properly.

I have learnt a few things while working there, such as how to open and close the store, doing stock count and operating the tills.

The hardest part for me was having to work on my own from 3:30pm till close due to it being stressful when there were small ques and only one person to serve them all, which would take a while.
Pros
cheaper lunches
Cons
Not enough hours
Not a job for me!
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire4 June 2019
Paying minimum wage at the time for the amount of work you put in is horrendous. Preparing bread, making subs and management putting pressure on you if you don't make a sub within 2 minutes. I do not recommend this job.
Cons
Low pay
Work
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 June 2019
A typical day of work would be working at evening shift working on the till, serving customers, and cleaning tasks and filling in the paperwork and doing the order pads..
Pros
free cookies and sandwiches
Cons
Working on your feet all day
Work ethics and policy to focus on
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Chatham4 June 2019
N/a I wouldnt like to discuss through this I left on a personal and became ill and ended up on sick due to the job and the environment that I walked into
Pros
Free lunches
Absolute joke
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Newtownabbey28 May 2019
Spent a year here and the manager was a horrible man. Wasn't given a contract at the start of my employment (was given it about 4 months in) was working my own shifts, holiday cover and sick cover as there was no staff to do the shifts. Staff turnover was high because of the managers attitude and every day there was another issue with what I had done the night before from the manager, regardless of how the shop was left.
Knowledgeable Workplace
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester23 May 2019
As it was my first job, I found this job quite knowledgeable andfunfull.
As a sandwich artist I have to open and close the shop, prep food, display product or food, cleaning and washing, cash handling and customer service were typical day tasks of the job.

As part of a team I learned how to be a good team player, people person, retail lover, professional and proactive. Management was quite nice they all were very friendly and kind with their employee.

Making suds for people is a lot of fun to get to meet new people everyday and some regular customers too. Difficult part was for me that the work place was to far away from my house but it all worth it because when you meet with different people and your friend. they fill up your day with joy and laughter.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
To away from my house
Challenging and never the same day !
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Newquay21 May 2019
In my particular store , there isn’t two the same days , every single day is a surprise . It could be really busy or even really quiet, but it’s all the time something to do . It’s fun environment with small team , that in time becomes a family . Company as well appreciate the hard working employees, provides all material to improve and helps as much as they can .
Pros
Opportunity’s to get better carrier
Not a fun place to work at
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Sydenham, Greater London20 May 2019
Job overall is not bad as it's taught me a lot. However the managment is the worst. Multiple laws are being broken. Refusal of holiday pay on top of paying other staff below minimum wage.
Busy working environment
Sandwich Artist & Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Preston19 May 2019
All aspects of being a sandwich artist including working the oven and preparing food. Food hygiene was very important. Cleanliness of the premises was a key part of the job.
Pros
When working a 4 hour shift or longer provided with food
Cons
Unrealistic expectations of staff
Productive and fun place
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  King's Cross, Greater London18 May 2019
Nice collegues but not enough money.the managment think we are always more than enough.people always changing sometimes there is not even people to work with
Pros
Free food
Cons
No money
Quite bad..... don’t go there
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire15 May 2019
Hours were not proportional to the hours I agreed to work, especially for an A Level student.

Wage not terrible but may feel better due to amount of hours I was making.

Job security was not too good. No regular reviews on how you was doing ... leading me on too....

Management.. very poor and unprofessional. Taking holidays every week despite HO warnings. Regularly swear at you. Not liked by other employees. Very controlling.

Not good job. Very repetitive and no advancements. Very stressful at times. Couldn’t wait to clock out. Other team members swear and shout at you, take kick as your young and ‘minimal’. Strict on portion sizes and your job is on the line if overserving.

Wouldn’t go back to be fair.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Fast Pace work, but really enjoyable
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk15 May 2019
Majority of the time was very busy, I learnt how to make sandwiches fast, management are amazing! hardest part of the job was to keep up the fast pace, most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with as well as the skills I had gained.
Pros
Free Lunch over 4 hours
Cons
Washing Up, always stay on top of it!
Dont do it
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Kempston15 May 2019
Pay was awful, left alone all the time to close the store at night with no help, never enough staff..management dont care..long hours and underpaid all the time..allowed free lunch every day but your not allowed to eat your own food there..
Terrible place to work!
Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Porthcawl, Bridgend14 May 2019
Terrible place to work in. The owners were there 24/7 making sure you were constantly busy and when they weren't they would watch the cctv all the time. We we always under staffed and the shifts were terrible. Never work in subway they don't pay well and don't give breaks.
Pros
No benefits
Cons
No breaks, terrible pay and horrible work environment
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Runcorn, Cheshire14 May 2019
I enjoyed my time working at subway, I learnt a lot about customer service and how important is was to do orders correctly in a timely manner. The culture of subway is relaxed and a fun place to work with your colleagues. It is hard work but enjoyable due to the people I worked with.
Pros
free dinner
Cons
wage is low
I would not recommend
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Ormskirk11 May 2019
I worked in Subway for over 6 months and I would not recommend it to anyone. The hours were fine but we did not have a store manager for months and the company did not provide any security for their workers.
Worst place to work
Sandwich Artist Subway (Former Employee) –  Manchester10 May 2019
When I first started I never got any sort of training. Staff that worked there were leaving and if you didn’t get on with the manager you would hardly get any hours. The pay was also rubbish for what you do. Wouldn’t recommend
Pros
Free employee meal
Cons
Horrible staff
No say no smile
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater10 May 2019
I currently left subway bridgwater my job was ok but quickly got stressful lack of staff lack of commensense from managements and owners it was a fun filled experience but wasnt for me i wanted to work my way up but quickly noticed no back up support from owners i felt my job role was taken for granted like trainning up other team members when it wasnt in my job description there was 1 rule for 1 and 1 rule for others when pay day come god help us all if we was lucky to get payed that day let alone it to be correct but i have made some good friends and i didnt always have a laugh that was only the positive thing about it
Pros
Discounted
Cons
Stressful god help us if it was payday
Worst Management Ive ever had
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire8 May 2019
The Subway part of the job was good it was a fast paced evironment and taught me some skills. However, if you do want to work for Subway make sure they are not owned by Valli Forecourts LTD. Management only care about themselves, have favorites, and give little to no shifts to staff they do not like. As all of their Subways are in garages, they like to put women on their own on night shifts while they put 2 men in the store area of the garage. Also, you can be sacked with no warning or reason whenever they feel like it. On top of that,if you leave within a year or get fired, they take back the money they gave you while training! Its a scam to keep you working with a company that treats you like trash.
Pros
Discount good pay
Cons
Do not recommend to work in any store of this company
Sandwich artist (Former Employee) –  Bedford7 May 2019
It mostly depends on the owner of that store however, you would be mostly struggling with getting enough shifts. You´re on minimum wage never allowed to sit down, also constantly watched by CCTV by the owner. You get a 10% discount and a 6inch if your shift is 6 hours or longer. Not worth it!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.

511.4K