Subway Employee Reviews for Sandwich Maker

Found 181 reviews matching the search See all 37,777 reviews
no the best place.
Sandwich Artist, Leicester Cheapside (Former Employee) –  Cheapside, UK23 June 2019
i now know what not to eat from subway. eat fresh is a lie, they simply replace the stickers on the sides of the containers to make it appear fresher. management and senior staff members pocketing money from the till. unclean and unhygenic. i was the youngest there and the cheapest to have work so i was often working very long shifts just to say money.
Pros
nothing
Cons
disgusting enviroment, staff and pay
Alright
Sandwich Artist at the fast food chain (Former Employee) –  Doncaster19 June 2019
Was 0 hours but meant I could pick my hours as to not clash with anything. Got messed about a bit and called in randomly. Good experience and quite fun.
Pros
Free 6 inch sub. Friendly coworkers.
Cons
Unreliable
boring, horrible place to work
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Caterham19 June 2019
absolutely awful place to work, staff are bad and so are the customers and the pay and the working conditions - do not work here even if it is your last chance at a job
Save yourself
Sandwhich Artist (Former Employee) –  Poole18 June 2019
Subway is extremely fast pacing and you’ll find that the team is quite tight knit! Subway gets a lot of drama like annoying kids and fights with drunk people. The security is quite powerless and the police gave up on us after a while. I’m sure it will start to get better though! The pay is absolutely horrendous and you’ll find that you only stay for the people and the easy jobs. The job is so easy that you can do it with your eyes closed. You’ll find that your life will be consumed by Subway if you have nothing else going on other than work.
Pros
Staff are really close, banter (but that’s subjective), light hearted atmosphere
Cons
No free food, you only work with 1 or 2 people - boring people = boring shift
Poor management
SANDWICH ARTIST (Former Employee) –  Nairn17 June 2019
The typical day at Subway would be clocking in and serving customers their sandwiches. However due to poor and horrible managers you would be forced to work on your own during rush hour whilst the managers in the back on their phone and because other sandwich artists would constantly quit the only one there would tend to be just you and the manager.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long Hours, Bad Management, Miserable work
If I could leave 0 stars I would
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Southampton17 June 2019
Worked here for a couple months early last year, my fellow employees were amazing! But the manager of the garage was horrible! I had a customer shout at me one day, I got pretty scared, told management about it and the next day I heard them playing the cctv, I could tell it was me as I heard my voice, and they were all stood laughing, the manager, assistant manager, subway manager, all in one room laughing. Then I was meant to be paid weekly, didn’t one week without any explanation, another week paid me less than I was meant to get, forever dropped and gained hours nothing ever regular. Told my close was bad even though the place was sparkling, they just didn’t like the fact it was done in time for me to leave when my shift ended 🤷‍♀️
Pros
Fellow employees of subway
Cons
Pay, management, hours
Staff are not bad, good laugh
Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  King's Cross St. Pancras Station14 June 2019
can not believe how appalling the recruitment process was. £200 fine is you do not commit to a minimum of 2 months???so I had to stay on and miss out on other opportunities like an apprenticeship I was going to start. Slavery does exist today and Subway Kings-cross st p is an advocate of this.

franchise owners get away with treating their employees like faeces and slaves. Appalling! I Will discourage anyone to work for Subway! especially Kings Cross...just look at the workers, they are terrified of their boss and miserable, I would of left sooner if I had choice!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, poor salaries, free labor
Good company to work for
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent14 June 2019
I enjoyed my time at Subway and would like to work for this company if the opportunity arouse in the future due to experience I gained as the opportunities it afforded me.
good
SANDWICH ARTIST (Former Employee) –  Sandwich14 June 2019
Working at Subway was my first role. I enjoyed learning how to work in a busy environment, and how to serve guests in the appropriate and best way.
Subway was fun, and not too difficult.
Good
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Scotland13 June 2019
Every day was different. It's a good place to work at if you enjoy meeting new people and enjoy working in a fast paced environment. There are many different things involved in this job.
Good part-time job
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Bromborough, Merseyside13 June 2019
Subway was fun, and not too difficult.
Pros
Discounted lunch
Cons
Short hours
subway hemel
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Sandwich13 June 2019
its a zero hours contract, they wont tell you your next shift until the evening before. So many labor law violations, forced to work while sick.

The owners will make up excuses to deduct your wages, missing hours recorded. Paid cash in hand, sometimes some money is missing. you are unlikely to get paid the full min wage.

Expected to work like a labor camp for little pay, get the blame for everything that goes wrong. Understaffed, expected to work harder for the same pay.
Pros
free food
Cons
not being paid
Still work here
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne13 June 2019
Is a fun, lively work environment but totally depends on location you work at as employees are subject to move about store to store the manager i have currently is amazing
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Drunk Customers
Sandwich Artist
SANDWICH ARTIST (Former Employee) –  Witham11 June 2019
Its vital when working in a business, every important factor is taken into consideration. Subway always made sure of this and businesses always have to do this to ensure success.
Benefits
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 June 2019
there weren't many benefits to be honest, the work hours were long for little pay. For people looking to work a subway make sure you're comfortable with spending majority of your tie behind the store cleaning.
Pros
free lunch
Generally, poorly trained.
SANDWICH ARTIST (Former Employee) –  Handforth10 June 2019
While working at Subway, I must commend the atmosphere and collegiality, however I was poorly trained to prepare foods and was given late shifts constantly. My manager seemed unapproachable since I never saw her so communication was difficult.
Pros
Good products, lovely people.
Cons
Bad shifts and communication.
food hygiene terrible, bullied by managers, employees and shouted at by customers
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire10 June 2019
I worked at Subway part-time as a Sandwich Artist for 2 months whilst in full-time education.

It was a new 'prototype' store so we all had high hopes.
Training was very short, with two shifts in a different store then left alone.
All the staff had no idea what they were doing ,especially the manager who started, then after a month went on her management course.

She was too tight and trying to save money, and so never ordered in enough food. This meant that by lunchtime, we had run out of the essentials. Due to the typical demographic eating with Subway, they didn't take that well and chose to abuse staff for it. This tightness on stock lead to food hygiene practices that the manager tried to teach me, for example quick defrosting the chicken by dropping it into a tub of hot water.

With myself only working around 10 hours a week, in the time I was there I was still inexperienced. On my last shift my manager had left me alone, after telling her I was not confident closing down. When I was due to leave she arrived and accused me of theft, which ultimately was untrue, she just couldn't get low enough to look into the safe and find loose notes. This ended with me finishing half an hour late- a typical evening.

My last pay check resulted in myself being paid a £100 deficit to what I had worked. That last month I had worked for £3.80 per hour based on what they have paid me.

You weren't allowed free food as such, only one, plain 6-inch at lunch. To enforce this the manager told us she was watching us on CCTV. This is a reflection of the culture, with food being
  more... stolen along with money out of the till- with us all being threatened with having our pay docked over it

I am a level-headed person, I am trying to be reasonable, as this looks like an all out attack on the store. I just cannot say any positives. I just feel extremely sorry for the people who have to work there, and based of the practices that I saw, I will never eat there again.
Pros
Free cookies at end of shift, that you weren't allowed to take
Cons
Threatened, overwoked, incompetent management, food hygiene
An alright place
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Daventry, Northamptonshire7 June 2019
My typical days at Subway were either a 12pm to 4pm or 11:30am till close (7:30pm) which consisted of me making and serving sandwiches to customers, making sure the place was clean and then opening and closing the store properly.

I have learnt a few things while working there, such as how to open and close the store, doing stock count and operating the tills.

The hardest part for me was having to work on my own from 3:30pm till close due to it being stressful when there were small ques and only one person to serve them all, which would take a while.
Pros
cheaper lunches
Cons
Not enough hours
Not a job for me!
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire4 June 2019
Paying minimum wage at the time for the amount of work you put in is horrendous. Preparing bread, making subs and management putting pressure on you if you don't make a sub within 2 minutes. I do not recommend this job.
Cons
Low pay
Work
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 June 2019
A typical day of work would be working at evening shift working on the till, serving customers, and cleaning tasks and filling in the paperwork and doing the order pads..
Pros
free cookies and sandwiches
Cons
Working on your feet all day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.

511.2K