Student Roost Employee Reviews

Do not trst the hr team
Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands6 October 2019
Wht do they do who knows but you cannot trst them. do not work in head office because if you are nt a favourite they dnt care and backstab. they should be ashamed of themself.
Balancing up the figures
Head Office Person (Former Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands26 September 2019
It seems pretty clear to me from the influx of 5* in June that this typifies the culture. There is a problem so we will mask it with fake reviews to push the rating up
You can see straight through it
I worked in head office so I saw it all
Bought by a rapacious greedy Canadian investment company who have no idea what hospitality is for them it’s based on buying assets, pushing profits and selling to make more money. Horrible backstabbing group except for one person in property. Steer well clear.
Something for everyone!
People Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 September 2019
I have worked for Student Roost for just over a year now and have been lucky enough to see it grow, while also growing with it.

Student Roost provide a service to students who live with us 24/7 so there are a range of roles to suit anyone's life style. Working 12 hours 4 nights on 4 nights off might not be for everyone, however to others you might be a natural night owl so this timing will suit you perfectly. Likewise with rota's 5 days over 7 for day shifts this means you will work some weekends, but not all, so the rota is fair across the team.

I develop in my role every day through a range of methods. There is e-learning provided to all, with content from mandatory health and safety, to videos on how to use our internal systems to the best of their ability. I also learn from my colleagues, no question is too big or small and if someone doesn't know the answer they will point you in the right direction. Finally I learn day to day as no two days are the same, there is always something for you to review what went well, what could we do to improve, and one of the things I love the most about working at Student Roost is that when you think something can be done better, you will be heard.

It is great to see how many people have developed within their own role and progressed within Student Roost, if you are interested in developing with your role or another position within the company speak to your manager and they will work through a development plan with you.
Pros
Perk box - a range of discounts and freebies, Above statutory annual leave entitlement, High support working environment
Hopefully not around much longer
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside30 August 2019
No respect for staff or it’s customers, they do nothing for the students and no funding for anything! No loyalty, overtime given to agency before their own staff.
Shameful
Slave (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom29 August 2019
Student Roost should be ashamed of themselves for the way they treat people. For such a high turnover of staff, they victimise employees and say “it must be them, not right for the job” when really it’s the managers on site who make it an unworkable and toxic environment with the constant back stabbing, bad and unfair rotas, bullying and just insensitivity to when a staff member is going through something. And when staff take the issues further they are told “what do you want me to do about it”. Absolute joke of a company.
Very bad company to work for
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside27 August 2019
Management very poor and very rude to staff , also not very friendly to students . Never work for them you will be sorry nothing positive to say about student roost
Absolutely terrible
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom26 August 2019
Absolutely terrible work culture. Head office have no clue what’s going on in this company. There are hardly any set policies and procedures in line. they claim that they are a “start up company” for over 3 years now because it’s an easier way to say “We don’t know what we’re doing here”. Management will sell false hopes and promise you the world however it’s short lived as once you sign their contract you are now under their command. The only up was working alongside some good co-workers to keep your spirits up. There is no relaxed atmosphere when the managers are only happy when employees are working like dogs day in and day out. Night or day. Or every single weekend so that they don’t have to. Save yourself the headache, if you want to have a good work-life balance you should look elsewhere.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Soul destroying
self-serving, greedy and corrupt company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 August 2019
The role itself is rewarding simply by working to improve student's welfare. The company, however, is awful. The management, i.e. not the site manager, but those above in command, are inept and motivated by nothing but greed. Their combination of ignorance and arrogance would be amusing if not for the negative consequences it has on staff and students. You will work long hours for incredibly low pay, and be at the bottom rung of a tiered system where you are held to a different standard in terms of behavior, uniform, working hours, etc., than the one that they apply to themselves. They exploit students through their prices and treat staff as expendable. People are paid different salaries for the same jobs, too.
Pros
working to benefit students
Cons
Working for literal morons.
Lousy
Night owl (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom18 August 2019
The lousiest company I have ever worked for. Managers only care about themselves and could care less about the wellbeing of their staff. HR have no sense of compassion. No progression opportunities as they will fire anyone who disagrees with how they are treated. Payroll never get it right either so you’ll be lucky if you get paid.
Pros
Hardly any
Cons
Unsociable hours, bad management, no job satisfaction and no credit
Avoid Avoid Avoid
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Scotland24 June 2019
Senior management do not have a clue about working in the sector! They do not give a monkeys about student or staff wellbeing! Rats, cockroaches, bed bugs on site in student rooms, staff office and kitchen areas etc, these all reported to the COO and other senior members and brushed under the carpet. Senior team are only interested in looking after themselves and their bonus package. All senior team are friends of friends and have their own little click! If you are looking for a new opportunity look elsewhere! All front line staff are now being made redundant and are wanting to provide an ‘excellent service ‘ on a shoe string!
Avoid like the plague
Night owl (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom13 June 2019
If you want to be ignored, mistreated, exploited, underpaid, unsupported and victimised then this is the job for you! The way management treat staff across the whole board is diabolical and HR are as useless as a concrete parachute. Avoid avoid avoid.
Pros
If you get good work colleagues this is a plus because you will need support
Cons
Too many to name
Best Place To Be!!
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 June 2019
I have been with Student Roost for the past 12 months and I must admit this is the best decision i have ever made by far! People are absolutely superb and that is from the CEO all the way down to the property teams! There is a genuine care and support from all and always there for advise / support / personal development / work-life balance as well as great benefits & most importantly Pay! Privileged to be part of the Student Roost family and Thank You All so very much for all you support you have given me so far and very much looking forward to being part of our great achievements!
Pros
Competitive Salary, flexible working patterns, additional day off to celebrate Birthday, All the Amazing people!
Cons
None!!
If Carlsberg did jobs......
People Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 June 2019
Student Roost is a fantastic company that has given my career the boost it needed.

I work with an amazing bunch of people across the company who have a true "lets succeed together" attitude.

My job is challenging (in the best way) and provides opportunities for me to develop in my role.

On top of that I have a brilliant line manager; they show great trust and give me just the right amount of direction.

If you are looking for a new career look no further.
Pros
You get an extra day off for your birthday, great culture, excellent people
Excellent Company
Talent Acquisition Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London13 June 2019
Student Roost are an excellent company, offering an refreshing approach to student accommodation.

Made up of really good people and are a business who will endeavour, always, to do the right thing, in the right way – truly putting students’ experience, welfare and safety at the top of the agenda.
Fun work environment and job perks
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 June 2019
I have been working for Student Roost for nearly 8 months now and I really enjoy it.

Interacting with the Students is the best part of the job role.

Student Roost also offer good benefits for their staff, e.g. they had a motivational speaker for mental health awareness week which was really good.
Pros
Salary & Interacting with students
Cons
Having to work some weekends
An awesome place to work!
Senior Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire13 June 2019
There are such and amazing group of people that work here and a fantastic vibe through all the sites all the way up to HQ. A community spirit across all levels, from site level all the way up to the CEO.

Such and exciting place to work and just a great place to be!

There is soooo much more ahead for Student Roost and the Brand, and I am so excited to be a part of this journey.

No two days are ever the same and that is why I love working here! It is a fast paced environment, but a great industry to be in! You will always have somebody that you call into for support and an abundance of knowledge across the sites.

The benefits keep getting better the longer you stay.

Student Roost are always improving and developing, they listen when we speak and are continually making changes for the better.
Pros
Great Culture and Ethics * Development * Benefits
Truly forward thinking organisation
People Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Regional13 June 2019
I am new to the PBSA (Student Accommodation) but, wow what a company. Its a forward thinking organisation who truly puts its trust in its employees to deliver a great service to our residents.

Working with the property teams is a joy, as the team members are so caring and enthusiastic about the service they provide.

The Snr management team are massively experience in the sector, but they want to break the mold on traditional student accommodation service. It is a really exciting place to work
Pros
Great teams, Sensible Snr Management team
Bad.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire25 May 2019
Terrible culture. Speak out though and you’ll get sacked!
They pay higher than normal wage though which is the only positive. Seems to be a “start up” and “new” company for the past 3 years now.. hm...
Pros
Wage
Cons
Everything else haha
Excellent place to work and progress
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire11 April 2019
Student Accommodation is often hard work with occasional long hours but the rewards and benefits of working for a company like Student Roost make it worthwhile. An excellent company that has support in place to assist you both within the region and centrally. Sheffield has a particularly close working culture that encourages and rewards the staff that put the work in.
The work is varied and never boring with every day presenting fresh opportunities and challenges.
Those who are willing to work hard, wish to progress in the Student Accommodation business and value variety in their roles will find this the ideal place to build a career.
Pros
Excellent Senior, Central, Area and City Management Team to offer support
fun however, staff above can speak very rude to their staff members
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 April 2019
I enjoyed working here, the only problem is that sometimes management can be very rude to their staff. On multiple occasions I have been made to feel that I am not worthy of my job.
Pros
Nice students
Cons
Attitude of management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Roost. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6