STROKE ASSOCIATION

STROKE ASSOCIATION Employee Reviews

United Kingdom45 reviews
I worked here for a University Placement- I did some 1-1 lone working as well as participating in support groups. Everyone was welcoming, there was obviously no salary but they covered travel expenses.
Pros
Welcoming
Cons
Difficult to complete placement hours
I have worked for the Stroke Association for over 10 years. That is the longest time I have worked for any organisation which must say it all! The culture is totally customer based and everyone is really committed to the values and the vision of the organisation.
The only criticism I have is that in my first few years we had some poor management but this is now sorted. A lovely place to work.
Office duties included typing and entering data. I also answered the phones and asked how i could help. I phoned the technician if i had a problem with my computer.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
No pay
Lovely people and organisation, very rewarding, but under resourced to the extent that you are doing 2-3 people's jobs and working over so as to not let service users down. Poor work life balance.
An excellent place to work. The organisation is driven to make its organisation work better for people affected by stroke and the wider research and support community. It is lively, experimental and trying to do things differently and better. The organisation wanted your input and views and encourage individual initiative and actions. The office culture was friendly and warm, regardless of which function you worked in.
working at stroke association was good for me because it was very hands on and mostly physical work on a day to day basis typical day consist in moving heavy furniture and serving customers wile keeping everything clean and tidy.
I found it absolutely amazing how much hard work goes into running a charity.

The Health & Safety Team was very small, but a joy to work in.

They are a firm believer in equality and diversity and acts on any requests for adaptations to workstations extremely quickly.
I enjoyed my internship here. I experienced lots of different positions and grew to understand how charities work as a whole. The people who I came across were all very kind.
Where do I even begin to start with my time at Stroke Association?

I had the most amazing time working for Stroke association and warmest welcoming I think I've ever experienced anywhere I have worked.

Everyone there is on the same page, everyone is lovely. Miss you guys!!
Great workplace, nice job, I spend all time there with smile, no problems at all. Strongly recommend. It helped me to improve communication skills and working as a team.
Very busy place with a lot of campaigns - results are important

Need to be able to be flexible and adaptable and to be dedicated .

Good place to work - rewarding
2 October 2019
Thank you for taking the time to feed back to us, it's great to hear you found it was a good place to work.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this company albeit very short. The staff were very friendly and management very helpful. good atmosphere . It was close to home and the hours suitable with good parking and close to the town centre. I would have liked to have stayed on a permanent basis .
Pros
good offices and parking, close to town, friendly staff and management
Cons
it was a short term position
2 October 2019
Thank you for your positive review. I'm glad you enjoyed working here.
customer service . team work learned different skills. management helped staff out. Once i could do the jobs was happy with environment The most enjoyable part was helping the customer to be satisfied.
Pros
bus fares
Cons
worked any hours.
If you want a job that makes a difference this is it. Varied and challenging, it can be stressful, but when someone thanks you for increasing their income, or getting them out again its all worth it.

Not many promotion opportunities unless you work in a HO but there are opportunities to gain skills and try out new ideas.

Good holiday allowance and flexible about appointments etc.
Pros
Varied and flexible
Cons
Not many promotional prospects
20 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It's great to hear your feedback.
The Stroke association is hands down the best organisation I worked for. I have been here two years now, in that time there has been a lot of positive change and development. everyone I have had contact with within the organisation has been easy to get on with and passionate about what they do.
Pros
Great cause, Great people
20 June 2019
What a great review! Thanks for taking the time to feed back to us.
significant investment in leadership and improving reward and benefits and ways of working . new strategy about to start with great engagement and communication. open senior leadership
Pros
open senior leadership, passion
Cons
culture still improving
Enjoyable, happy staff and happy patients
Lots of different activities and workshops

Interesting side to fundraising and making people aware of strokes
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Repetitive
I worked here for many years and the culture of blame from managers down is horrific. Many are very unqualified and unskilled and so borderline bullying managerial techniques were common place. I had a lucky escape from this organisation and now use my skills in a very supportive progressive environment.
Pros
Cons
No time for lunch and unrealistic targets set up to fail
I have been with the Stroke Association for over four years, working as a volunteer. During this period I have gained so much, my daily work involves supporting stroke patients, families and healthcare professionals in a hospital ward. Working with the outside stroke team to pass information and request resources such as information leaflets.

I have gained the skills to communicate and listen to people from different cultural background and religions. Respecting equality, diversity and right of people. Promoting independent and the safety of patients. Also, providing information that would support families and patient after hospital discharge. Liaising with community coordinators and other services to provide valuable information.

The hardest part of the job is to see upsetting patients and families due to having stork, yet I can not do anything to stop it from happening. This is the reason why we need to raise more stroke awareness because, stroke affect the whole family.

The best part of the job is to provide useful advice to patients and families, also observing patients recovery progress.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
I enjoy volunteering at The Stroke Association as it is a positive surrounding and they work around my needs.
I am a volunteer so do not get paid for this role
Pros
communication skills
Cons
rarely needed
The company is not familiar with software development and has serious problems in mid-level management.
It seems there is not an opportunity for progress in the company as mid-level managers try their best to control employees via asking personal development (irrelevant to the role)!