Stonegate Pub Company Employee Reviews

Breaks?
Front of House Manager (Former Employee) –  Newquay, Cornwall12 February 2018
Asked to complete hours of online training for no pay, when working they would deduct 20mins out your wages and not receive a break. Austerity measures meant often short staffed and difficult to deliver a quality service
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Not paid correctly
Great company to work for
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside8 February 2018
Worked 6 years with the company great place to work great benefits, great environment to work in they allow you to progress your experience it feels like a family based company
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Split shifts
Rewarding and fun place to work.
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire8 February 2018
Cannot fault my employment at Stonegate. Everyone is welcomed and I have been supported throughout my career. It is a great team environment and everyone wants to have fun whilst working.
Pros
Discount card, fun, good manager.
Cons
None really!
Good Staff, Bad Managment
Bar Member (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex7 February 2018
You're just thrown into working here, there isn't any training. If you do something wrong you're often made to feel awful about it, despite not being trained at all. Team leaders get rude and stressy at you when you ask for a break or ask a question. Higher staff members are often very blunt with customers and don't look happy at all. When a higher member of staff is in a bad mood, it has a massive impact on everyone else and I think they fail to see that. I really enjoyed working here, but the staff attitude is absolutely awful - it wouldn't hurt to smile. Ontop of all of that, I wasn't paid on time and when I was, it wasn't all of the money I was owed. The working hours are ridiculous, I often felt it would be better to just move into the Hostel above Walkabout because I was there all the time over the weekends. Starting at 6pm and leaving at 6am most times I worked here is just not okay. Being given one break as well, in a 12 hour shift? It's absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't just effect you in tiredness, it also affects your work motivation and it doesn't help if you're absolutely knackered and you've worked your hardest and best. The pay needs to go up and everyone needs to be happier, other than that, it was great. Most of the time.
Pros
Small discount on drinks
Cons
Extremely long hours and one break
Poor management and terrible kitchen practice.
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire5 February 2018
The head of the kitchen was sarcastic and impatient for someone they didn't train properly. There's no respect for management and kitchen practice is lazy and of low quality.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor management, bad practice
Good and friendly place to work
Barmaid/waitress (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands5 February 2018
This job is hard for anybody it is long hours into the morning and stressful with all the work that you have to do sometimes the team with me help clean and serve drinks but most of the time they go and do other less important things
Pros
Nice atmosphere, friendly customer
Cons
No/short lunches, Low pay
Awful
Barmaid/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire4 February 2018
Made me work rediculous shifts where I would do
12pm till 12am Saturday (with one 20min break!) then be back in at 8am the Sunday to open up! The wage is awful and the management poor, really wouldn’t recommend working for them! you sign away your rights about time between shifts and breaks
Slow work days.
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Darlington1 February 2018
Management constantly taking sides with other members of staff who do not work as many hours as others, and getting paid more for doing so. Customers complaining about certain members of staff makes it difficult to enjoy a shift.
Engaging Company.
Bar Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Harpenden, Hertfordshire27 January 2018
The company have programs for progression encouraging people to make the next step in their potential careers for the people who show their committed to the role.

Pay rises are frequent as progression furthers. No matter how small your role is within a site management are encouraged to help you progress in your role. At my site my Deputy Manager came to the site as a Full Time Pot Wash but was encouraged to progress.

Shifts are typically 10hrs onwards and the weekends depending on your venue are usually very busy.

Personally feel like the company is a very beneficial company to work for. The company is always expanding, opening new venues nationwide there is plenty of opportunity for transfers.

Genuinely a great company to work for, Great way to get experience in the industry.
Pros
Year round 25% discount as well as career progression and an engaging work life.
Awful
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside27 January 2018
Most nights we would be there for at least half an hour up to an hour and a half after the hours we would be paid for, meaning u do not get paid for that extra time. This is appaling after working for a measly 5.60 an hour until 6AM. Unfair seeing as the bar staff do all the hard work and make thousands for the company.
Cons
Terrible hours, terrible pay
Good for students
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bristol26 January 2018
They treat staff like numbers and money. Don’t care about people at all. Managers are always under a massive pressure. Wouldn’t recommend to anybody. Pay is a big joke and you never get paid as you should so better note all of the hours worked during the month
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Long hours, bad money
Fun place to work
Bar Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sheffield26 January 2018
Worked in a nightclub and it was such a fun place to work, management were great and I didn't want to leave! It's a shame I couldn't be offered more hours otherwise I would've never left!!
Would not recommend
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Formby, Lancashire18 January 2018
From working there management is rude, underpayment on every pay check with our fail. Horrible work environment. The staff working with me where all very nice. Shame about the manager
Pros
Pay above minimum wage
Cons
Can be with the correct management.
Bar staff (Current Employee) –  North East15 January 2018
Typical day at work is the setting up of the bar if your on early and closing down if on late. Making sure everything is ready to open ie tills in bar set up ice bar mats drip trays etc and on a close cleaning down of bar and the customer tables ready for the next day.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with abusive customers when they are told they can not be served any alcohol again but to be honest most are ok and just walk away and say nothing.
You meet new people every day most of the time which is fun but you also have your regular characters who are in the place as much as you may be.
Management can be good if you get the right one.
Pros
25% discount on food and drinks when off and also subdised meals while at work.
Cons
Only time you can get long hours is when people on holiday or sick.
fun an active learning place
Chef/Bar Staff/mixolgey (Former Employee) –  Manchester Central14 January 2018
I loved working here learned a lot off life skills an the management team are fantastic happy to help an even gore for you to lean new things that will set you up in life such as commination skills
Pros
discount an couses
Progressive and Supportive Company
Trainer (Current Employee) –  National9 January 2018
Stonegate allows me to have a varied and exciting role in training, no 2 days are the same. Our leaders do so by example and are committed to progressing people from within the business up through the ranks.
hard work
Bar/Restaurant Staff (Former Employee) –  Canvey Island9 January 2018
first i was very happy to work for this company, but with time its just gone downhill.. short of staff and unorganized. asking for specific hours not getting it.for hard work as it is , very unappreciative.
Great company to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fife7 January 2018
Good place to work, encourages training.Nice friendly atmosphere, good team spirit,Establishments are usually decorated to a high standard. Lots of opportunity's available.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Late nights
Worst job I've ever had.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Blackpool7 January 2018
The team I had to work with were very uninviting. The hours were awful, even through the party season and the pay even worse. Best thing about the job was the atmosphere of being in a nightclub.
Pros
Atmosphere of being in a nightclub.
Cons
poor hours, pay, teamwork
Fun place to work
Bar manager/Team leader (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey3 January 2018
Enjoyed my time at stonegate in various venues, would work there again.

Fun seeing people having a laugh, delivering good customer service has it's peaks and working in a bar has to top that

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stonegate Pub Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8