Stonegate Pub Company Employee Reviews

Horrible
Bar Team Member (Former Employee) –  Uk20 October 2018
Went into the job excited to work on the bar, but because of health issues I was deemed too unreliable and ended up collecting glasses for five months, constantly being promised bar experience but never being given it. The pub I worked at was horrendously run, staff turnover was ridiculous and nobody got legal breaks or gaps between shifts. Zero chance of progression, and for how hard the staff worked they were treated terribly by the managers. For minimum wage, it’s just not worth it. One good thing is the other staff were really friendly and lots of fun, and I met lots of lovely people in my time there. Would probably be alright working as a manager/bartender, but I’d discourage anyone from applying for Waiting/KP/barback jobs.
Pros
If it was quiet the bar shut early, friendly supportive staff
Cons
Low wages, favouritism, unfriendly managers, loooooong shifts, always understaffed, stressful, boring
a fun place to work
Kitchen Team Member (Former Employee) –  Coventry16 October 2018
Overall Stonegate is a fun company to work for although the management is not the best i was often left alone in the kitchen to work when i was just recruited as a new chef
Pros
Good working hours
you dont get paid!!
Barmaid (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull15 October 2018
manager uses her role as a weapon.
chooses when to pay you as and when of her choice.
bad communication and poor team work.
if you ask for help you don't get it
Bar Team Member (Former Employee) –  Horley, Surrey14 October 2018
I applied for part time but I got full time hours but I didn’t mind, I loved every second.
It really felt like a second family to me, everyone helping each other and having a great time doing it.
Never had a problem with management, they were very fair and professional.
I wish I didn’t have to leave, I’m at another stonegate site now, hopefully they’ll be just as good!
Pros
Lots of hours, made loads of friends, discounts
Cons
Could be tiring at times
Not a good place to work.
Bar Supervisor/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Popworld Plymouth8 October 2018
To begin with I really enjoyed my time working for stone gate, mainly because the original manager was amazing and looked after his staff, however since he left the venue and new management came in to replace him everything changed. I felt bullied out of the business, and higher up in the company wouldn't do anything about it until I was too late and I had walked out on shift.
Pros
Day times to yourself
Cons
unsociable hours, bad pay, poor management.
Was underpaid on several occasions
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  Chester7 October 2018
Although Stonegate is a huge company to work for, I felt like I was just a number and disposable of. I had several issues regarding my pay which we're not dealt with by GM. Later discovered he was dismissed for gross misconduct. He was fiddling labour
Pros
social hours
Cons
incorrect pay on 3 occasions
Great Company
Msrketing (Former Employee) –  Luton26 September 2018
Travelling long distances. A great company to work for, very professional. Daily tasks would be organising daily routes to reach all locations and then fill out reports.
Great place to work poor management
Bartender and Waitress (Former Employee) –  Brighton25 September 2018
I loved to work here although the management was very bad and the pay is also not adaqute for the role that you do, serving customers
Running food
cleaning
fun workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Camberley19 September 2018
I enjoyed working at the Surrey arms, the staff and management were very friendly and we all got on very well. The hours that i worked were long, however I wanted to do long hours so that's why i undertook a management role, so this is why i became a team leader.
Pros
very welcoming
Like family
Bar Staff and Waitress (Former Employee) –  Andover17 September 2018
My small team in small town was fun to work with until management gave up on being he fun selfless person she now just doesn’t care who works there or how it’s done her under management are even worse for it due to this I no longer work there
Pros
Forever friends
Cons
No freebies or bonus
One Great Manager
Senior Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Sussex16 September 2018
Had one great manager in my time at Stonegate, was bullied by a Team Leader and then got dismissed which was orchestrated by them, would always dread going to work I always put a lot of my own time and effort into doing work at home to better the business which went unpaid, having the General Manager make you cry midshift and degrade you in front of customers and other staff. No support from Area Management
Pros
Cons
Worst Company to work for
I enjoyed my time working here
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham11 September 2018
I made a lot of friends working for this company. It was fun most work days, weekend night shifts were very busy like non stop but there was always a great atmosphere. I also became good friends with regular customers that I still talk to now after leaving. As a mother the managers were always flexible with the hours I worked and were understanding of this which made working a lot less stressful.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Cleaning on a Saturday night after a long shift
Decent job
Bar staff (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear19 August 2018
Pros
- Fair and friendly staff
- Good work environment
- Easy to get along with management
- Good training
- Given complimentary drinks on very profitable nights
- 25% drinks in all stonegate pubs

Cons
- Long hours, sometimes from 10 in the morning till 1 at night
- Proper breaks not always given on very busy nights
- Occasionally understaffed during shifts
- Awful holiday system, works on a first come first served basis. Management always given priority choice and will often not work very busy shifts (bank holidays) Have been denied requested holidays multiple times.
- Rota only published on the weekend before next shift, work hours not very flexible when it comes to weekend shifts.
- Obvious favouritism in shifts given. Staff who are friends with managers likely to get easier shifts when the pub is less busy
can only say goodish
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East London, Greater London18 August 2018
if u have a good manger u will have happy staff. poor manager u will want to leave. good thing tho u can always transfer within the company. they will push u further if u get a good manager
Pros
staff discount
Cons
long\late hours
Horrible
Chef/ Barman (Current Employee) –  Birmingham3 August 2018
The worst job I've ever had, I'm 21 and 16 year old's was on a higher wage than me, yet I was still there longer. Don't apply here. I have been her for around a year, I worked at multiple locations and did what I could to help better my position and more, I even became a technical guy to help fix bank cards, ATM's and tills that had broken mid shift, and my thank you was getting a disciplinary for forgetting to put a bag in the bin.

Honestly I sacrificed a 25K PA job for a 9K PA as it seemed a nicer place to work, that was until I found out they all wore masks.

Furthermore, after travelling from location to location I have found out I am not the only one to get treatments such as this, I can't even count how many people say they want to quit because they can't afford their bills, because they were being abused and facing organised dismissal.

If you enjoy going through possibly the worst time of your life, apply, otherwise stay away from the company as much as possible. I made that mistake, I wish I never had.
Pros
N/a
Cons
no breaks, pay, attitudes, other staff, management, the whole lot really
Fun workplace but always understaffed
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Liverpool2 August 2018
BAD
- rotas don't come out until day before working week and can change at a moments notice
- don't always get legal breaks
- requesting holiday time has no system
- head office always cutting labour so never enough staff on
- head office doesn't authorise necessary purchases unless begged
- GM gets away with slacking, being late, messing up etc

GOOD
- can be flexible hours
- 25% off in all stonegate venues (50% in January)
- fun culture and people generally nice
An amazing opportunity
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canterbury1 August 2018
I absolutely loved working at the penny theatre in canterbury. I worked here for just over a year and after never having stepped foot behind a bar before in my life, I progressed all the way up to being a manager in the space of a year because my managers believed in me. I met loads of amazing people, and could not have asked for a better team. Everyone worked hard and supported each other whenever needed, and this job has given me experiences I never would have had which have changed me as a person. I never knew what it meant to truly enjoy your job until I worked here, I left an incredible team and I hope they carry on being amazing without me!
Pros
Social life
Cons
Leaving
Great place for students
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Dorset24 July 2018
A great place for part time work. Pay is industry standard, which is quite low. Opportunities to transfer to other branches within the company. Management is OK. A nice place to work.
Productive and fun work place
Banking Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire24 July 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Stonegate Pub Company, everyone I worked with was easy to get along with whilst being busy, and the management were friendly
What you'd expect
Bar Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kent2 July 2018
Shifts went pretty quickly due to how busy the pub was, however the work was tiring as you were standing for hours on end and were sometimes working late into the night.
Pros
discounted food and drink
Cons
tiring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stonegate Pub Company. Our community is ready to answer.