Stonegate Pub Company Employee Reviews

Good for career development
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland18 May 2018
Great company for career development. Good management structure in pace. The hours can be long and maintaining a good work/life balance can be hard at management level. Very flexible with working hours for bar staff.
Pros
Career development opportunities
Cons
Unsociable Hours
Murdos Pub; Aberdeen
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen15 May 2018
I went to Aberdeen as a relief manager initially for 2 weeks and ended up being there for 2 years...
It was a trouble pub when I took over, but managed to turn it around with the help of the team and the locals, who wanted the pub back to what it was known for.
Stonegate has a great training and development programme and the team became more confident, and more aware because of this.
There was a great working culture within the team, everyone did look after one another.
Fun
Bar Staff/Waiter (Former Employee) –  North cheam25 April 2018
Extremely fun place to work very friendly and bubbly customers pay is reasonable and hour can be made flexible if need be can’t fault the company in any way
Pros
Discount
fun place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Walton-on-Thames16 April 2018
during my time at the regent i had alot of fun and met alot of people i would like to call freinds, as it was my local before i started working there i had already known the managment and had become freindly with the staff prior to this
Pros
freindly work enviroment
Cons
Don't get paid properly, no breaks
Bar team member (Former Employee) –  Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire9 April 2018
13 hour shifts with one half hour break. Colleagues doing 7am-5am with 2 half an hour breaks and expected to be back in at midday.

Management are unprofessional. Aim to embarrass you if you do something wrong. I asked for part time day shifts (student), I was given 38 hour weeks consisting of exclusively night shifts.

No organisation
Often putting our jobs at risk, consistently operating without a licence holder for hours on end.
Pros
25% off food and drinks
Cons
Long hours, poor management, no breaks, not paid for full shifts
Excellent
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  The hoppoles Hammersmith4 April 2018
Very flexible and it gave me more opportunity to know more about kitchen , gave me the confident to work without pressure and a good communication skills
Fast paced enviroment
Catering Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Field Based26 March 2018
Extremely fast paced company which has expanded steadily over the last few years and continually looking at other businesses to further expand. Quite reactive with regards to ways of working which can be a frustration.
Pros
Discount card and reward scheme
Long hours, low pay
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Blackpool19 March 2018
Whilst being a bartender is fun and the hours go quite quickly, management seems to differ greatly amongst pubs and can leave staff feeling unappreciated and overworked for low pay.
Fun workplace
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire14 March 2018
Stonegate pubs always have something going on. It’s a lively workplace at full pace during the season. Great colleagues and management team always happy to help one another.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Busy and quiet times
Fun but hard
Bar staff (Current Employee) –  Liverpool9 March 2018
Low wage, but fun place to work with the possibility of progression
Meet a lot of new friends from a lot of different people
A diverse and accepting company
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Low wage
Not a Fan.
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough5 March 2018
The management left it too late for my personal training to be continued which is why I left personally as well as seeking more hours and pay. The management would always tell me to see them after my shift but they would've went home before I had the chance to chat to them about anything.
Shifts too inconsistent
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Leicestershire4 March 2018
When I first started, everything was great, the team leaders were caring, management was so friendly and wanted you to grow in the company, the shift were good and i was able to pay my bills. But now, im barely surviving, being told i would get more shifts in february, but now i can barely afford rent, its great for students, but not as a full time job
Pros
Amazing food
Cons
Lack of shifts
Good for part time work
Bar & Restaurant Team Leader / Events Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent2 March 2018
If you want a part time job that pays the nmw then go for it.
I was lucky to have good managers but other staff were lazy. Always calling in sick with no other staff to cover.
Pros
Managers
Cons
Hours and pay
great
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Phoenix26 February 2018
fun workplace, friendly staff, management team fair and easy to work with.
nights get busy but its fun and makes the shift go quicker. majority customers are friendly, hardest part the job is busy nights such as boxing or sports events the pub will get packed and customers to tend to get rude occassionally.
no two days are ever the same
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester21 February 2018
This is the best pub company that i have worked for and i have worked for a few. Yes it can be long hours, but the work is fun, the teams are great, we have fun competitions amongst our teams and other sites. There is definite career opportunities so long as you do the training. You get out what you put in.
Pros
reward card, career pathway
Cons
Staff is friendly but too long hours for minimum wage
Bar Team Member (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire19 February 2018
My first day was a nice pace working as bar staff in the afternoon. During weekends you are expected to work from 17:00 to 4 AM Friday and Saturday (2 nights in a row) with no breaks and for minimum wage. Bar work is strenuous and we are putting ourselves at risk when collecting glasses, cleaning up broken glasses and vomit and also lifting heavy trays.

If you are okay with the long hours and not getting more pay then I would say give it a go as like I said, staff get on well. But I can't continue to put myself through the stress.
Pros
Fun and friendly staff and management
Cons
too long night shift hours, no breaks, minimum wage, back to back long hout shifts
Breaks?
Front of House Manager (Former Employee) –  Newquay, Cornwall12 February 2018
Asked to complete hours of online training for no pay, when working they would deduct 20mins out your wages and not receive a break. Austerity measures meant often short staffed and difficult to deliver a quality service
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Not paid correctly
Great company to work for
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside8 February 2018
Worked 6 years with the company great place to work great benefits, great environment to work in they allow you to progress your experience it feels like a family based company
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Split shifts
Rewarding and fun place to work.
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire8 February 2018
Cannot fault my employment at Stonegate. Everyone is welcomed and I have been supported throughout my career. It is a great team environment and everyone wants to have fun whilst working.
Pros
Discount card, fun, good manager.
Cons
None really!
Good Staff, Bad Managment
Bar Member (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex7 February 2018
You're just thrown into working here, there isn't any training. If you do something wrong you're often made to feel awful about it, despite not being trained at all. Team leaders get rude and stressy at you when you ask for a break or ask a question. Higher staff members are often very blunt with customers and don't look happy at all. When a higher member of staff is in a bad mood, it has a massive impact on everyone else and I think they fail to see that. I really enjoyed working here, but the staff attitude is absolutely awful - it wouldn't hurt to smile. Ontop of all of that, I wasn't paid on time and when I was, it wasn't all of the money I was owed. The working hours are ridiculous, I often felt it would be better to just move into the Hostel above Walkabout because I was there all the time over the weekends. Starting at 6pm and leaving at 6am most times I worked here is just not okay. Being given one break as well, in a 12 hour shift? It's absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't just effect you in tiredness, it also affects your work motivation and it doesn't help if you're absolutely knackered and you've worked your hardest and best. The pay needs to go up and everyone needs to be happier, other than that, it was great. Most of the time.
Pros
Small discount on drinks
Cons
Extremely long hours and one break

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stonegate Pub Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9