Starbucks Employee Reviews

Found 1,140 reviews matching the search See all 30,973 reviews
Fun but hardwork
Barista Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire22 January 2019
Good company to work for, you usually start early in a morning getting your shift sorted.

Then drive thru and Cafe opens at 6am for service (Drive Thru is 24 Hours)

If on nights its all about the cleaning and prepping for the next day.

Management are pretty good in trying to keep the shifts rolling and try to be as accommodating as possible.

Hardest part is staying nice and polite to rude customers and the most enjoyable is the nice customers which make up 99%
Pros
free coffee to take home every week, Free drinks in Shift, 50% off Food on shift, 30% off drinks when not on shift, Shares in starbucks
Cons
Can be tiring on your feet, breaks can be a bit haphazard (but nature of the role and peak periods)
Wouldn't work for them.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Notting Hill24 January 2019
Wouldn't work for the company. Management looks after management only (even in different stores) was definitely bullied, dreaded going to work. I'd avoid working at the Notting Hill Starbucks (only if the same management is there) she definitely discriminated against myself and some customers.. how is that good for business? management looks after management and they'll do anything to persuade you not to go to higher complaints but they didn't care about bullying I received. Never heard anything back after this.
Pros
Free drink day of work, most customers
Cons
Management 100%
Nice!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vauxhall, Greater London6 February 2019
I enjoy every moment in Starbucks since when I started working there.
Every single person always tried to teach me everything they know about the job, and when you become a good team member they appreciate the job that you do.
The hardest part of the job seems to be the pick time in the morning, but even if is the hardest you can do it if you have the wright team supporting you, and the supervisors that always speak to you in a polite way and that at the end of the pick time congratulate everyone and is happy and proud of his team.
Don't work for 23.5 degrees!
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire1 February 2019
This is a shocking business, they treat staff with little respect. They expect you to be able to do hours that you said you couldn't do in your initial interview, to which they agreed.

I worked with this company for 2 years and helped out unpaid on numerous occasions, in repayment the managers would talk behind my back to other members of staff and treat you horribly.
Pros
decent pay for a supervisor
Cons
Managers that act like teenagers.
Fun place to work, supportive environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex15 January 2019
Starbucks is a great place to work with many benefits. Opens include setting up the shop by yourself or with 1 other and as well as serving and crafting beverages, cleaning the cafe and doing deep cleaning jobs. Closing involves cleaning the whole cafe and closing things down and setting up ready for the open in the morning.
Pros
Discounted food and drink, free beverages
Cons
Long hours, broken shift structure
great experience
barista (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 January 2019
My job was mostly crafting coffees, maintaining the cleanliness of the store but there were other benefits to working there. One of my unique (and more fun) roles in the store was store advertising and decorating the walls with temporary art and event headlines. Starbucks have also made the change to being more eco-friendly, offering coffee grounds as compost for locals, making a recycling program for the very popular Nespresso pods and reducing plastic overall. The staff were lovely, even when there would be disagreements, we would never leave the store without resolving any issues. The hardest part of the job was leaving it honestly, after two years of working there I had made many loyal friends and my Manager had been wonderful.
Pros
good management
Cons
busy shop
Rubbish management and atmosphere
Barista (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset22 January 2019
Management always acted as tho they were the best thing that's ever happened to the company. Even the shift managers looked down on me. The amount of work you have to do, cleaning, serving customers, mopping the floor, washing up is not worth it for minimum wage. The only way you advance in the company is if your face fits. Not to mention It took me 2 months to get my reference for my new job.
Fun work place and Productive
Barista (Former Employee) –  London, UK19 December 2018
The time of work is various from 4 am to 11 pm, therefore I can manage time or I can have my free time day or night depends on what shift I have. Always guaranteed 2 days off on the full-time contract and annual leave. after became a shift supervisor, I learned much responsibilities apart from the duty of barista. one of the best part if this job is you can meet people from around the world, learn various cultures.
Pros
Free beverage
Cons
Cover shift
No Job Security
Barista (Former Employee) –  Poole28 January 2019
Whilst I did enjoy my time working at Starbucks (making drinks and talking to customers is fun), the poor management was incredibly frustrating - I was given next to no training, and after 2 x 3 hour shifts I was placed on an all day Saturday shift (busy) without a manager and with only one other barista. I was hired alongside 2 other Baristas who were both working around 35 hours a week, whilst I had had several weeks where my shifts had been cut so i was wokrking 0-10 hours a week (0 hours on several occassions). I was called into the management office and told I hadn't improved as much as the other two baristas (despite working a fraction of the time they had and having no training) and so they fired me. A similar situation happened to a friend who also worked at Starbcuks. Would not recommend
Staff are great, higher management are a disgrace.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire14 December 2018
I have nothing to say than don't bother applying unless you don't mind being treated as nothing but a number.
The staff and manager of the store are incredible. Higher management? Disgusting to the point I can't even word how horrendous they are. Great to know they don't care for the well being, mental health or safety of their staff.

Good luck.
Pros
30% - 50% off on shift. Manager and staff are incredible.
Cons
You're only a number, head office are horrendous.
Horrible establishment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Oswestry11 December 2018
Staff is unprofessional, didn’t even finish my training all the way to the end and would complain unprofessionally when asked how I execute a certain task, shifts were cut due to the manager just not liking me because of another staff members opinion of me, only good thing is the pay, but they don’t even pay your full months wage all at once and instead in bitparts over the course of a few months, wouldn’t recommend unless desperate for a job, barista work was pleasant, but it’s highly unlikely you’ll be placed on bar. Got stung by wasps several times as they have an infestation inside the business in oswestry.
Pros
Free drinks, but they taste like garbage
Cons
Horrible staff, wasp infestation
N/a
Barista (Former Employee) –  Liverpool and Lincoln17 January 2019
I worked here whilst I was a student, it paid the bills and and gave me a steady income for buying textbooks and the such. Pay was low for the work, as cleaning toilets was involved not just making coffee. Could improved toilet cleaning hygiene as the blue roll used to wipe surfaces was usually put on the bathroom floor whilst we cleaned them.
This was not a proper job it was a student job for between 20-30 hours a week.
Great management, great colleagues, great coffee!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire20 December 2018
I think the job enjoyment can be very dependent on your fellow employees and management. The job itself is great, and the benefits are awesome. The philosophy of the company is to treat you as a 'partner', not an employee, so you're treated with free coffee, fair holiday, and you're never stuck doing menial things. Always valuable things.
Pros
Great job, great free coffee.
Cons
Pay isn't great.
perfect job but lots to learn
Cashier and Waitress and barista (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol18 February 2019
really enjoyed this job. very busy and lots and lots to learn especially as they like things done a ver very specific way, ran a very tight ship very organised company. only downside was my manger always had me on every weekend as opposed to a mix of the 4 avaviable days I could work.
Pros
free drinks, discounted food
Cons
long shifts, always standing up
Busy, Fun work place
Barista (Current Employee) –  Buckinghamshire5 December 2018
I enjoy working with the staff and it is a good first job. Offers great experience and gets very busy which tests my work abilities at times and allows for more room to grow in my job position and there is still more for me to learn. I've already made many memories and connections with staff and customers at Starbucks and I really enjoy my role in the company.
Pros
Discounts, friendly staff
Cons
Inconsistent shifts
Good Workplace - Shame about management
Barista (Former Employee) –  Eurotunnel, Folkestone19 November 2018
I enjoyed working at Starbucks at HMSHost but this was more down to my fellow employees. The management at HMSHost were not interested in any problems we had and treated the staff as commodity. They have an incredibly high turnover of staff demonstrating the lack of dedication and interest they put in the individual. They are focused on profit - during quieter periods they cut everyone's hours massively but then expect you to work up to twelve days in a row during busy periods. They are only interested in how much money you can make them.
Great work culture
GM (Former Employee) –  Essex7 December 2018
Great place to work if you are working directly for Starbucks and not a concession site.

great benefits when I worked for them with shares in the business and a good work life balance, and this for me was great as I worked in on e of the company's largest site and re located for the positions, great support from my district manager at the time and a great work environment
Pros
shares in the business
Cons
names on cups
Fast paced, fun environment
supervisor in training (Former Employee) –  London2 December 2018
Very supportive environment with plenty of opportunities to advance- management actively encourages baristas to consider working towards becoming a supervisors. Meet lots of new people, skills needed for job are straight forward but it is physically demanding with the cleaning and being on your feet all day
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
long shifts, opens early closes late
Just Like Home
Trained Barista (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire29 November 2018
Everyone who works at Starbucks, works as a team. It is filled with individuals who will become your greatest friend(s) and you are in an environment where you can progress and feel comfortable in all situations.
Pros
30% Discount, Paid Holiday as well as Leave (Personal, Maternity etc), Partner Discount days up to 40-50% and so on.
Cons
Early opening hours, later closing hours and a lot to take on in the beginning
Big Company, big heart
Senior EA to SVP Marketing & Category EMEA (Former Employee) –  Chiswick, Greater London26 November 2018
I worked at Starbucks HO earlier this year on a short term contract and despite undergoing some changes, they are actively ethically conscious both here and abroad. They also take good care of their staff and promote a good work/life balance.

Every business has it's changes, which can be difficult to sail through, but they do have friendly and professional staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

512.5K