Standard Life Employee Reviews

Terrible company
Drawdown assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh23 April 2018
One of the worst companies I've ever had the displeasure working for. The management do NOT care for their staff. Insane to work there make you feel worthless. A lot of name blame and shame culture if you dare make a mistake. Will leave you clinically depressed and questioning your morals in life
Pros
There are non
Cons
No words
my time at Standard Life
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, UK25 March 2018
I was employed as a Customer Service Representative but I also did a staff comic. I also had a projest wher I would rewrite banking jargon into plain English,
Pros
Ver good benefits
Great Stepping Stone
Administrator temp contract (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh14 February 2018
Great Company to further your knowledge of both systems and how to adapt to new tasks.

Unfortunately communication break down was an Issue here.
Pros
Experiences
Cons
Communication
Very busy, well organised company
Customer Operations Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh16 January 2018
I worked for Standard Life for 30 years, and would recommend them as an employer, mainly because of the reputation they have for training and as an employer of choice.
However the environment changed, and is now very stats oriented, with the Customer Ops chief exec coming from a telephony environment, which shines through the junior management now.
It used to be much more customer focused, but is now very much cost driven, with many customers waiting a long time for a response. This is generally accepted as long as the costs remain in control, but is not a comfortable situation when leading a team of customer operatives
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Long hours, focus on costs rather than the customer
Under paid
IT Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh19 December 2017
Unpaid for out of hours support
Stress filled days
Answering alot of calls
Poor progression
Poor managment
Unachiveable SLA's considering amount of staff
Great place to work.
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh7 November 2017
Great place to work.

Lots of opportunities, one of the biggest employers in the Scottish financial market.

Staff at the heart of this very big company.
Good staff benefits, friendly workplace
Admin Assistant , New Business Premiums (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh3 November 2017
I enjoyed my time at Standard Life. Working as part of team and based in a brand new modern building was a bonus. Staff had the opportunity to apply for promotion and training was available to update skills. Good salary rates and excellent Pension schemes for employees.
Pros
Flexitime, staff canteen.
Standard Life
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh2 November 2017
A veery good brand with excellent products and services. Well respected within the IFA community.

Good management with a clear strateegy.

Good platform and financially secure
Pros
Brand and products
Workplace
Pensions Administrator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow City, Glasgow13 September 2017
I set up pensions for customers. We would receive the details and input the required data to set up a pension.
I worked in Edinburgh and Glasgow and made some friends through this job
Excellent opportunities with great people at the heart
Head of Department (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh21 August 2017
If you have a willing, positive, professional and 'can do'attitude, this is the place to thrive and feel valued. Excellent career opportunities with great people at the heart
Pros
people
Good employer
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 July 2017
General good place to work. Pay & Other conditions are excellent. Can be very busy leading up to tax year end so flexability is a must. Company are also family friendly.
Pros
Good pension
Cons
Tax year end
Great job, great people, great times
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh23 June 2017
I worked at Standard Life for over 20 years, made many friends, and learned a lot.

My managers at Standard Life were usually very approachable, happy to discuss my concerns, and willing to be flexible when required.
Pros
Flex time
Fun and Different
Intranet Management (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh City, City of Edinburgh2 May 2017
I had a great time working there. It gave me an insight on to what working in an office was actually like. Everyone was so nice and understanding whenever I needed help. I learned how to control the staff website and edit a short movie that I had to do in my time there.
Pros
free hot drinks
Cons
nothing bad about it
Productive and Fun Workplace
Pensions Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh2 May 2017
Typical day would be to come to my desk and be greeted positively from my team and other members of staff.

I have learned a lot since working, I now know a lot pensions and how they work. I have learned that Standard Life can give you many opportunities to learn new skills and develop yourself as an individual.

I think the management is very professional.

I like the workplace culture because it is very calm and you feel you can speak to anyone and ask for help if needed.

Hardest part of the job would be managing many tasks and learning how they all work.

Most enjoyable part of the job would be getting to meet loads of different people and learning something new each day about how the business works.
Pros
Free Breakfast on Wednesday
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and fun workplace
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh27 April 2017
The finance department was a busy and fun environment. Very flexible when i came to working hours as long as the core hours where covered. Great team unity and everyone worked well together.
Standard Life
IT support technician and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh24 April 2017
When I worked at Standard Life for a short amount of time I loved it there and the teams I worked along side were great. I had flexible hours and the work rate isn't too much which is fantastic as some companies overload you with work.
Busy but fun
Reception Supervisor /Event Co-Ordinator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London28 March 2017
Amazing views, fast passed environment that requires you to think on your feet, multitask, be extremely flexible and organised. as well as dealing with day to day challenge.
Good Company
PA/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh9 March 2017
Good company to work for highly regarded in the Financial Services market
PA'd for many senior/executives within Standard Life - everyone was good to work with
Finance Industry giant.
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh - Dundas House10 January 2017
Standard Life is a giant mover in the Finance Sector but was undergoing a period of restructure when I retired in December 2016 - 20 months early.

In certain areas it was shackled by ageing products that it still had to service but lacked the investment in technology to improve efficiencies. As a company it was gradually moving away from insurance based products to become an asset management company - this process takes time, considerable investment and the need to cut away from legacy products such as life insurance plans etc.

My day to day work was very challenging but enjoyable. I had to work to extremely strict deadlines but maintain very high degrees of accuracy. This I found very rewarding.

My decision to leave was in part due to frustration at lack of investment in software and technology that would have made big improvements in efficiency in many tasks that were heavily reliant on manual intervention. Cost cutting drives seemed to over-ride the need for improvements in practices within the department.

My team had already been reduced from 6 to 2.5 personnel within 2 years and as salary, bonus and benefits packages were being reduced I felt the time was right to retire.

I enjoyed working with my team-mates and colleagues. Problem solving the various issues that arose on a daily basis was particularly enjoyable. However, I did not think that the company was rewarding staff to a level commensurate with the demands laid upon them.
Pros
Job security. Pension benefits. Fanatastic colleagues. Good work ethos
Cons
Lack of investment in technology. Out dated management practices. Declining rewards
A pleasant place to work
Pensions Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh26 October 2016
A good working environment with a reasonably relaxed atmosphere.
I would recommend Standard Life as an employer.
Plenty of support for temporary workers who were mainly treated the same as the full time employees
Pros
Relaxed dress code and working environment
Cons
long travelling distance from my home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Standard Life. Our community is ready to answer.

Standard Life Reviews by Location