Stagecoach Bus

Stagecoach Bus Employee Reviews

United Kingdom294 reviews
Stressful
Working within an engineering department started off fantastic, new opportunities, good money and generous holiday entitlement. It quickly became apparent that the management are extremely controlling from higher levels downwards and they are out to discipline you or even try to sack you from very early doors in your emoloyment. Not worth the hassle and I've not experienced the same mentality on any other company
great company
great company to work for, very friendly family oriented, have done a,ot of work to move towards a more customer focused culture, with better employee engagement
Best service bus company to work for by far.
Stagecoach are a good bus company to work for. The management are decent and run the depot well and it's a good working environment. Most of the drivers do get along well and look out for each other. You do feel like the company have time for you, unlike working for other companies like First Bus who treat their drivers terribly. Overall, good place to work.
Slavecoach
They pay well. But then get their pound of flesh out of you. Put under along more pressure that needs to. But the opportunity to earn a lot of money is the really benefit for most. End of the day you are just number not person. If you need a job where you want to be treated as an individual then stagecoach isn’t the place for you
Great place to work/advance career
Wether you want to just do your job and go home ore advance your career it's a great place with endless scope for self improvement and career development.. Being a professional driver isn't for everyone it requires a massive amount of self discipline and ability to handle stressful situations... Being a bus driver also requires a great deal of customer service skills.. Training is given.
Abysmal
Terrible employer to work for.
Very long hours which would be ok if you were getting paid for it, however if your working a long shift (which is at least twice a week if full time) your looking at up-to 2.5 hours break per shift which means your hanging around in the town centre unpaid. This continues to happen even during the current pandemic which in my opinion is putting drivers at unnecessary risk.

Holiday procedure is shocking, your holidays are allocated twice a year and you have to beg to get the dates changed. Oh, if you want a day off and request it in advance, you don’t get a yes or no answer, it depends on what mood the boss is in and you could end up not finding out if it’s been agreed until the day before.

The whole system requires a shake up and restructure, staff turnover is immense and it’s glaringly obvious why.
challenging workplace
Being a bus driver can be challenging at times and very rewarding at other times, the only downside was that the hours at times can be very unsociable.
Decent company to work for
Never had a problem with anyone there weekly pay works great very understanding employers it's a relaxed environment to work in yes like any job it can be stressful at times but you take the rough with the smooth and it works out fine
Don't do it unless you want to work lots of hours and minimum time off
Only take a job if you want to be a number and want to be pushed to the limits with driving hours and time off no good for family life
Only take the job if you like working long hours and limited time off.

On the plus side the training is good and you can take that with you.
good Job satisfaction
As a driver in the south Manchester and Manchester central region,it requires constant attention span against pedestrians who are self negligent. Also watch out for inferior driving standards from car drivers,sometimes deliberate spiteful manoeuvres. Most passengers are decent. I do experience some passengers wanting to provoke annoyance,I just look away,or have a swig or two from my drink. The meal breaks are not generous,Stagecoach will give drivers minimal time as much as possible,just the 30 minute legal break. Some drivers do make job worse than it needs to be,can be vocal to passengers,then passengers tarnish every driver the same. Some drivers are on a mission to keep to the scheduled time,I just keep mellow. If I'm late,I let the traffic desk sort it out. If a driver gets sacked,they've sacked themselves,for breaching Stagecoaches code of conduct. Don't bother with Unite,as they won't support you in a tribunal. Drivers are monitored by the Traffic Commissioner,and Greenroad telematics
Pros
overtime
Cons
short meal breaks
Park n ride.
I went on park n ride it’s easy enough but a bit repetitive money the same rate for any day, saturday and Sunday included a lot of later finishes after 1900 where I was but didn’t start till between 10-11 am Reasons I packed it in, money and finish times
Stressful
Very high turnover of employees. Immediately noticable 'Us and Them' culture between management and drivers. Long anti-social hours. Poor life/work balance. Disciplinarys even for the most minor of errors..
Excellent company which offers the very best in trainning and career progression.
Enjoyed my time with this excellent company and depot. If you can achieve the high standard of training ability you will do very well with this company and of coarse, you must enjoy driving and be a team player, a very customer focused company.
nice place to work
Typical day consists of driving buses on a set route taking fares, checking tickets.Management are helpful will try to help if you have a problem.The hardest part of the job is the shifts( you could be on lates then middles then even an early in the same week).There is plenty of overtime
Stagecoach is a great place.
At Stagecoach the training and the people who train you are really nice, they give you all the knowledge and encouragement that you need to pass you pcv licence.
Not to mention they take you out on the road in a full size coach to get all the practical skills you need to, would recommend this to anyone.
Busy and fast paced
Having worked for the company for 17 years, I feel they was a loyal employee and I enjoyed my time with the company.

Unfortunately due to my diabetes I had to leave the company
Bad company too work for
This company has no understanding of the job. Its only interest is money. Pure and simple. They have a bad culture of awarding customers that complain, and always being on the side of the customer regardless of right or wrong.
Good mix of people and roles
Large organisation, with set procedures, not very flexible roles.

Employees get on well and have reasonable amount of social outings.

Company will pay for relevant training.
Pros
semi flexible starting and finishing times
Cons
Limited chance for holidays, always busy
Stagecoach
Great bunch of drivers but managers are awful. Any slight thing and your on a discipline and I mean anything. They never back the drivers its always your fault. Always feel under pressure to work extra shifts. They dont care if your running late and miss part of your break. It's all about keeping the bus in the road. Worked there for nearly 2 years and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Stressful, no work/life balance, and a toxic work culture.
I worked as a Stagecoach as driver for two years, and this was long enough for me. It's one of those jobs you either love or hate. It would suit someone single, but if you've got a family it won't be easy to accommodate them, what with the seven day rota and shift work. I can imagine the job has ruined many marriages, and you losing quality time with your children too.

You work one week early shifts and one week middle and late. Some of the drivers work 50 to 60 hours each week! You’ll also be asked to do overtime, which is optional, but always available. Office staff are often stressed out, so be prepared to take the brunt of their frustration. Everyone is overworked, and often grumpy, whether you clock on in the morning or afternoon. I'm a positive, smiley person, which doesn't fit in with their work environment.

Most of the buses are old, going back to 2009, which might not seem that old, but they are in a terrible condition cosmetically, especially on the inside. Don't expect a clean work space, it can be a grubby job at times.

There is a high turnover of staff, as many drivers leave after their first two years. It takes this long to pay off the initial training fees. The seven day rota, at around 43 hours (although they tell you it's 37) can be very stressful, add to this the toxic work culture. Foul language, bigotry, sexism and constant moaning by many of the drivers will make you want to leave sooner rather than later. The older drivers can be miserable, though not all of them, but they all can't wait to retire. I made a few friends, as there were some
 - more...
Fast paced work environment
A typical work day for a cleaner at Stagecoach is a busy one. It starts before the first wave of busses come into the yard where you get the required equipment and machinery set up like brooms and mops to the bus wash if you're qualified to use it. When the fleet starts to come in you get busy with sweeping the first lot before the main rush happens where the yard drivers shunt them through the pumps, the bus wash and into the yard for the next day. My job was to deep clean the interior surfaces of the busses like chair backs and that was busy yet easy work.