Staffordshire County Council

Staffordshire County Council Employee Reviews

I worked as an employment coach within the day service, however because the day service ended this meant the people that I supported in work who had learning disabilities were dumped, there were 5 adults who I supported they all worked as kitchen staff after the day centres they worked in closed down the ladies and gentlemen I supported were simply made redundant they had no ongoing support I was not given extra time to help them transition into another job, the country council simply left them with nothing, they have all suffered from stress and finding new employment with now no support has been extremely difficult for them all, this is not the kind of place I would consider a caring, supportive or professional way to treat the employees that they were meant to be supporting. The country council did have other people in posts supporting adults with disabilities in jobs and those people who I supported were not transferred into that department so they could continue to get support, when the day service was winding down I was actually not allowed to go into work because my leg was in plaster I could have very easily worked in an office space and made sure the staff I supported were taken care of I would have ensured they were transferred from my support to that of the other employment support staff and helped them source other jobs, the thing was an absolute disgrace, I have kept in touch with three of the staff and helped them as much as I can in my own time but this is not how it should have to be, these adults trusted the council and the Staffordshire county council simply - more...
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Treatment of staff with disabilities is poor.
Good experience working for the council. I have gained valuable experience and had good support from all departments. Only due to personal reasons I had to give up working with this council, this I very unfortunate however highly rcomended.Thank you
Pros
Good pay, good working hours, good routines and good communication.
Cons
If staff are paid for breaks, then decent arrangements should be in place for breaks food and appropriate facilities.
The part time role fitted in perfectly whilst my children were at school and I decided to carry on when they left school as I enjoy my job.The cold and wet days are miserable to work in but I meet some lovely people who make up for it! All appropriate safety equipment and clothing is supplied, along with any relevant training.Nice to feel you are helping your community.
Pros
Term time only, yearly salary
Cons
Working outside in Winter!
I worked for staffordshire County Council for 17 years as senior care assistant after Staffs tupe over to housing association job went downhill then worked in private homes which to my dismay they cannot hold a candle to staffs training would work with staffs or any local authority again but never private home again
Pros
Everything was good training second to none
Cons
They got rid of their homes
Staffordshire County Council support their employees in all areas of the working role. I have been working for SCC for over 15 years & proud to say so.
This is an excellent place to work at, but it's not easy - you have to constantly re-prioritise, be resilient and collaborate. It is very rewarding..
Challenging !!! high case loads ~multiple demands placed upon you ie constant t/c Text emails whilst undertaking visits / driving to/ from visits expecting immediate responses ~no work life balance ~expectations of late working and weekends completing paperwork~No appreciation of staff commitment or hard work...
All colleagues support each other very caring it was like being part of a family I worked for SCC for over 30 years worked my way from the bottom through to management , this was due to my managers seeing potential in me which is a really excellent way of working
Staffordshire County Council overall is a good place to work, but with current need to make massive savings, redundancies are a regular feature now. But it is an interesting place to work and have good in house training and are supportive in terms of career advancement. Flexi and agile working also help with work/life balance. Supportive employer overall.
From starting with the county council has evolved and reduced in many ways including services, staff and finances. A typical day from start to now has changed dramatically with the same issues of possible redundancies, job role changes and extra responsibilities with no financial reward this is a typical day at the council. The benefits of working for the county council are the flexible hours meaning I can have time off in lieu with hours banked every four weeks, the pension scheme is good and the flexibility of being able to work outside the office but ultimately time for change and new challenge.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Staffordshire County Council?
large open plan office, mostly centralised workforce, hotdesking rather than individual desks although flexible and agile working is encouraged. management tends to work on matrix model nowadays
Have been with SCC 14 years and they have been great, but after a couple of restructurings, a lot of good experienced staff have gone, now the dearth of management knowledge is apparent, the place is now rife with empire building, indecision and chronic unnecessary micro management. If they let you get on with the jobs, it would be great!
Ta’s used as cheap labour to cover teachers . Not treated with much respect particularly from younger teachers who see you as just a dogs body. The children make it worthwhile.
I worked with an amazing team doing a fantastic job I loved. Sadly, I was agency and there was a lot of change going on so I couldn’t wait to see if there were permanent jobs that would be offered. Staffordshire County Council were brilliant to work for. Fantastic team and interesting work. Loved it
I have spent the majority of my working life so far at Staffordshire County Council, the last eight years of which were as a Policy Officer (Community Engagement.) It is demanding, but rewarding work and it is about balancing the needs of Staffordshire residents against an ever diminishing budget. It is all about the people - the people you work with enhance your day to day work; the people of Staffordshire enhance the enjoyment of your work.
Had the opportunity to work with a wide range of people across the council at a time of significant change. Was well supported and worked with a good team who were leading on a wide ranging performance project
The current changes in government policy and cut-backs on public spending to local authorities has led to a change in culture at Staffordshire County Council over recent years. The work environment and culture is modern and challenging and a typical working day is busy. Modern working practices (home working and desk sharing) mean that there is a greater focus on lone working with a high degree of personal dependancy. Opportunities for personal development are limited in the current environment and there is less job security.
Met some nice people. Too many managers and lower paid appear to work harder but are not treated with respect. Some staff appear to get away with taking advantage and others don’t, not treated equally,
Pros
Sick pay, holiday and good pension
Cons
Management culture
Genuine reason for Ill health and let down enormously after years of working there with no payout even though my position has been made redundant!!!! Disgraceful.
A pleasure to work with the staff everyday I addended to work voluntarily. All members of staff were willing to help and advise in the position and for future career positions.
It was supportive, good work culture, meeting different people, being part of a teamwork, training opportunities, career progression, but only in limited areas