St Luke's Hospice Employee Reviews

Productive and great atmosphere to work in
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rayners Lane Station24 February 2018
I was in charge of ensuring customers' needs were met and that the shop floor was kept tidy and presentable to the audience. I advanced my communication and confidence skills as I had to speak with several customers from a broad range of age category. The hardest part of the job was to bring large boxes and delivery from the shop floor which was upstairs all the way downstairs into the store room. The workplace was quite small so safety was indeed an issue. The most enjoyable part of the job was communicating with different people as well as my colleagues.
Pros
Satisfaction of working in a charity.
Cons
Standing up for long hours.
Good experience
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  London26 January 2018
You learn a lot about people and sales in a short amount of space and there are lots of lessons to be learned on the job. A very interesting experience.
Pros
Buy lots of great things
Cons
difficult customers
Very fun workplace
Customer adviser (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire19 December 2017
Very fun workplace to be in, very different environment. love building friendships with regular customers and satisfying their needs. Did volunteering for college.
Pros
very short hours
Cons
pay
Great working environment and good learning experience
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Willesden Green2 December 2017
Working at st Luke’s hospice is a great option as it will allow you to give back to the community and also help you to develop your verbal and interactive skills as you will constantly be interacting with others. Moreover the people you work with are just lovely.
Pros
You’ll meet some amazing people
lovely place to work
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wembley Central Station24 November 2017
I loved working there, I meet nice people and the staff was very helpful and friendly.I worked 6 weeks I wish I could continue, I helped them a lot because my shift was in te morning.
Pros
i dint have any lunch or coffe....
Cons
i worked four hours per week
Voluntary
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Basildon19 October 2017
Voluntary gardening work. I learnt a lot from the head gardener who was never too busy to answer questions. A pleasant place to work, nice grounds..
great institute
Retail Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire9 October 2017
A hard busy day with lots of manual labour lifting and carrying bags full of donation that require sorting and accessing ready for processing into salable and unsalable items. The work is variable and interesting and it is especially good for a person who enjoys meeting and engaging people from all walks of life. It is rewarding work
Pros
lots of social interaction with people from all walks of life
Cons
Can be very heavy work
productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hatch End31 July 2017
Learnt a lot of invaluable skills that will set me up for work in the future. Good work environment which enabled me to work to the best of my ability.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon13 July 2017
In my few months of volunteering at St Luke's hospices I enjoyed my experience the staff was friendly and very helpful. It taught my how to be more organised and how to help and communicate with customers, it helped improve my confidences.
Nice place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire11 July 2017
Most staff are lovely. The patients are friendly and the hospice provides an extremely positive environment for them during their difficult time. I would say it's a nice place to work.
enjoyable experience
Assistant and Organisational Management (Former Employee) –  north harrow4 July 2017
organising the stock, serving customers ensuring that working targets, sales targets are met. got difficult at times when the stock room was really full
Pros
free lunch
Cons
cramped environment
productive
Advocate Art Surrey (Former Employee) –  Harrow Weald, UK1 May 2017
Duties included operating the till, dealing with enquiries, putting out items for sale such as clothes, labelling items for sale and at times organising the window display.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
challenging
Relaxed environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Harrow14 March 2017
The general atmosphere of the shop was very relaxed and everyone who volunteered there was kind. Management were also very nice and understanding if you had to, for example, leave early or not be able to make it in on a certain day. Interacting with customers was very refreshing and knowing that you're volunteering only adds to the satisfaction of working there.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Tiring sometimes standing all day
a great place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Willesden Green6 March 2017
in my experience st lukes was a fantastic place to work the managers and all the staff were very nice and I learnt a lot while I was there id say I enjoyed the whole job
Pros
experience
Cons
no pay
Satisfactory mission
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 February 2017
Customer service and retailing

Sorting through donations

Stock management

Promoting sales of the Hospice

Supporting with the training of new volunteers
Established, well organised working environment
Retail Administrator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth19 December 2016
arranging and review calls from general public for collections of furniture items.
Updating and finding recycling opportunities
Most enjoyable has been the assisting in the set up of a new workshop that has including liaising with the Environment Agency, ensuring that all regulations are followed
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
little opportunities for promotion
Multi- cultural place
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  London, Kingsbury4 October 2016
I enjoyed volunteer work in the shop. As I could communicate and mix with people of different cultures and background easily.

I also learned till skills from the volunteer role.
Pros
Work experience in multi-task within a small firm.
Cons
No reference for volunteer below 6 months.
No Personal Development Opportunities
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, UK23 June 2016
I have worked here for several years and have not had ant personal development opportunities with regard to promotion or training. Staff who are not at management level do not get the opportunity to attend training to gain additional qualifications or improve on the ones they have. 'Lower staff' are not supported by managers,often taken for granted and given workloads that are unrealistic. Staff turnover in this organisation is very high.
Pros
Patients are extremely well cared for and the support they receive is second to none
Cons
Staff are not treated very well and there are no opportunities for progression. Low pay.
Fundraising and Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  London3 June 2016
Management at St Luke's is closer to a Laisez-faire culture, still keeping you motivated to work nonetheless. You are made to feel in charge of your responsibilities and tasks that you have to get done.
Pros
Environment
St Lukes Hospice
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  South Ockendon11 May 2016
I had to clean to shop floor and the staff room floor, help the customers who needed the help looking for something or bring unwanted clothes or toys to the workshop.

I had to communicate with the customers when working in the stuff room or working on the teal, I love working there because I was helping out a charity for the St Hospice.

The stuff there was really kind, caring, fun, great listeners and etc.
Pros
An hour break
Cons
7 hours