St John Ambulance Employee Reviews

Dont work for sja
Emergency Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  South East7 March 2019
Management = AWFUL. care more about money than their staff.

Ambulance = awful . Never kitted when you need them to be, always have something wrong with them.

Shifts = lie about what you will be recruited for. make you travel long distances to cover shifts and they don't care if you work 12 hours then have to travel 2 hours each way and then be back up early to do it all again.

permanently exhausted due to stupid shifts and stupid times.

1 shift is 12 hours of sitting in a room looking at 4 walls with nothing to do. management wont accommodate with a working tv or better cleaner facilities.

management DO NOT listen to problems that have been raised by ALL staff. they ignore emails and ignore the problems.
Pros
travel allowance and good work collegues
Cons
Everything else
Important
Cadet (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset11 February 2019
St John Ambulance is a very interesting hobby and job to participate in if you want to go into a caring environment or just want to improve on your first aid abilities. I was there for over 5 years and enjoyed every minute of it! Everyone there is lovely.
voluntary work
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 January 2019
I only did voluntary work with st johns, i had a great time, new life saving skill you get to learn which one day could become very useful if you may need to apply them on someone
Pros
skills you learn
Horrible atmosphere at base
PTA (Former Employee) –  Stockport.20 January 2019
If you are thinking of working for St John,I have one word....don't!Particularly Stockport.Worst management I have ever encountered.You ate not seen as a person at all.The crews are by and large great,when you are on the road no probs,but the management are poisonous.Stay away.
Pros
Good crew mates
Cons
Horrible management.
Watch Out
Employee (Current Employee) –  England16 January 2019
Please look in to these reviews as some are from the volunteer sector of St. John and do not lend accuracy to actually being employed by St. John.

It may not turn out to be the ideal 'job for life' that you hoped for.

As an employee (Trainer roles especially) watch out.
If you have a career background in the forces, civil service or teaching and like polyester uniforms it's for you.

If you are self motivated, capable of thinking outside of the box and actually care about learners being allowed individual input to sessions forget about SJA.

Oh, and scrap any idea of the start/finish times, minimal travel and the non sales role that they promote at interview.
Pros
Students on courses
Cons
Institutionalised. Antiquated. Rely on volunteer brand reputation
Productive and rewarding job
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Norwood Green22 December 2018
I really liked helping lots of people because I am a very helpful person who enjoys spending time assisting people with whatever medical needs they have, because I am helpful.
helpful to my general knowledge
Cadet First Aider (CFA) (Former Employee) –  london20 December 2018
the experience of being part of St John Ambulance has been very productive for me as they have taught me a lot of things which i can take part and use whenever the use of first aid is i need.
Pros
events that we took part in e.g. London marathon
Cons
very unorganised
Productive and well organised
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Park Royal, Greater London3 December 2018
Well organised, productive workplace with great management. Many facilities on site and more close to the hub. Very easy to travel to as there is a train station and a motorway nearby. Very poor hardware and many software issues.
great course
First Aider (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall23 November 2018
Fun helpful course with a small test at the end. Tutor was confident and put everyone at ease. Equipment was up to date and plentiful. I would recommend this course
Pros
Great team
Cons
Na
Horrible Environment
Various po (Former Employee) –  London21 November 2018
Only apply here if your desperate for a job. This place should be a stop gap. Managements are absolute bullies and treat employees like criminals if they make a mistake.

No support is given , no formal training, no induction on processes and policies or the opportunity for development.
I found it very hard to work confidently in this atmosphere as I was always so worried about getting things wrong and then being told off.

Constantly being told off that everything I do was inadequate and never telling me well done when I do things correctly.

Managers don’t have a clue about SJA’s processes & Politics so they make it up as they go along and then blame the employees if it goes wrong and want to reprimand them for it as well. I had a manager shouting down the phone at me at one point. Not a healthy environment at all.
Pros
Cons
You get send to any location to work at the drop of a hat.
A good job for a robot
Trainer/Assessor (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire21 November 2018
Rigid training plans might suit some, however flexibility on how to train is essential with regards to first aid, you don't get that here. you must train "the SJA way" as any other is wrong. if you can come round to it, and then get over the relentless travel, constant re-rostering, inadequate management and dilapidated venues then the job can be fantastic, training everyday. very much an old boys club, lots of ex service/public sector personnel average age 50+.
Pros
Working Hours
Cons
Rigid Training / Outdated Staff
Awful company
Trainer Assessor (Former Employee) –  Various15 November 2018
Other trainers are fantastic, management are awful. Rather than focusing on their mission statement that no one should suffer due to the lack of first audits, it should now be - no one should leave a course without buying something, including confectionary.

Greed and a lack of first aid appreciation in current leadership and an unwilling attitude to listen to suggestions from people on the ground. I lasted 4 years and am so grateful not to be there anymore. Current practice - let’s leach you about diabetes and after offer to sell you some chocolate.

Leadership don’t give a hoot about the training staff, just how they can look good in their roles.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Everything about this company from 2015 onwards
Fun work place
First Aider (Current Employee) –  Blandford Forum14 November 2018
Great friendly team of workers and grest opportunities to visit events and towns within the role. The best benefit of this is fuel milage is paid back to you
Life Skills
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester9 November 2018
A typical day was either eventful or uneventful depending on the event. I learnt lots of crucial first aid skills and also some life skills as it enhanced communication and brought me out my shell. The management of the company was okay, the youth department in particular was a very good department. It was hard when under any form of time pressure and proved difficult at times to fit in with other schedules. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help people and genuinely make a difference.
voluntarily St John’s Ambulance
1st Aid member (Current Employee) –  Redhill, Surrey2 November 2018
I work voluntarily with-in a small team at St John’s Ambulance at events in the local community, which I love.
Participated in practical emergency scenarios and showed willingness to learn
Demonstrated respect for a wide range of colleagues and service users
Pros
Gained knowledge of first aid and emergency techniques
Cons
to be available at weekends
good work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 November 2018
It was a great experience and great opportunity to meet new people. Also it is a great opportunity to work in various locations. Learned a lot of useful skills for life.
If you’re desperate for a job, really desperate then work here
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands27 October 2018
Where do I start? Micromanaging is practiced at the West Bromwich HR Admin centre. The team leader of the biggest team really doesn’t have a clue and then gets annoyed when you question them! Someone leaves every week, turnover is ridiculous. Admin manager is cold as ice. Really not a nice place to be. Apply and work there at your peril! No doubt all the employees will get pulled in and accused of writing this review, free speech is not appreciated here!
Pros
Nice office and colleagues
Cons
Micromanagement
could be improved
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire22 October 2018
not supportive enough, partial experience of racism occurred.
Should provide a comfortable environment in order for people to learn first aid but they did not promote respect among the people trying to volunteer/ learn first aid and this in itself was very disappointing, because of this fair and equal treatment was not maintained.
It is possible for bullying and racism to occur, to anyone trying to volunteer i suggest you please try to be more supportive to your peers and put an end to any type of bullying/racism instead of being passive bystanders
Pros
can learn first aid
Cons
unfair treatment
Awful organisation to work for
HR Adminstrator (Current Employee) –  Union Park19 October 2018
Management and volunteers are a bunch of bullies, work load ridiculous responsible for 100 plus vacancies with 20 applicants on each one. If you want HR experience this is not the place to be as a huge part of the role involves IT enquiries. Unsupportive, lack of training, bad pay and no scope for progression. Only work here if you are desperate.
Pros
New building
Cons
Unsupportive management
okay
Participant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 October 2018
Most young people went to boost their CVs. How much you enjoy yourself is solely dependant in your branch and branch leaders, as not all are the same with some being more organised.
Pros
learn invaluable skills
Cons
no variance in content

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St John Ambulance. Our community is ready to answer.