St John Ambulance Employee Reviews

voluntary
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire18 September 2018
something nice to get into, working free but learning some vital skills which one day could change someone's life had to leave due to moving away but would do it again
Trainer / Assessor
Trainer /Assessor (Former Employee) –  Gtr Manchester15 September 2018
I lasted just 3 yrs, like many of the trainer/assessors I had become totally disillusioned with the organisation. The role now is all geared towards the organisation becoming a centre of excellence to maintain market share. That in itself would be fine but unfortunately its the grunts (trainers) on the shop floor who take the hit in this quest.

Hours are long even with recent attempted sectoring of trainers. Courses will start at 09.00 however realistically you need to be at the location to set up for 08.00 to set up etc, the reallity of that is that if you are in a city centre location you are up and out of the house for 06.00 am to miss traffic, and a equally long journy home, you then complete admin/cpd/answer emails / collate sales etc etc the list go.s on. Your yearly wage rise is not so much based on your ability to train effectively rather it is decided based on sales of kits. sales of defibs, getting students to join as volunteers amongst a host of other requirements to be considered that you have maintained efficiency and are worthy.

The nature of the job means that you get to meet other trainers only realistically at the quarterly sector training events or in passing when you bump into a colleague picking up resources, there then follows the same conversation about who is next on the list to quit how dis organised the whole area is, Lack of resources long hours being messed about and having shifts changed at short notice yet more emails asking the trainers to perform another pointless task.

Breaks are virtually unknown, your role during the day when delivering
  more... training is to also sign for deliveries place them into stock carry out stocktakes deal with student enquiries, the list go's on and on. you would be lucky to grab a quick brew during the day.

Would I recommend SJA to perspective trainers as an employer (NO) each month an email go's out listing current vacancies within the organisation, in regards trainer vacancies this year it as made grim reading, 17,, 26, 18, over successive months its now a revolving door of trainers in trainers out.

Sorry but so glad Iam onto pastures new. SJA claims to be the Caring Organisation which is tru in relation to what the volunteers do for members of the public on public duties etc, as a staff member you are just used, used, and used some more.
Pros
Within this role in SJA hard pushed to think of anything.
Cons
Hours, targets, there never satisfied, management would like to know how many hold formal managerial qualifications.
Fast pace work place
Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 September 2018
Great place to work if you enjoy working in a busy environment.

A typical day could be answering customer inquiries, via telephone or via email. Speaking to various departments in order to answer more complex problems concerning first-aid and advice on first-aid practice.
Pros
job statisfication
Cons
limited capacity to move onto another role.
Volunteer work
Volunteer ambulance driver (Former Employee) –  Ilfracombe, Devon29 August 2018
I loved my time with St. John but it became more money oriented rather than actually helping people. The duties were fun and the training provided was also good.
fun place to work but management are terrible
Trainer/Assessor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 August 2018
I enjoyed working with st john ambulance until a new manager was hired and was passively informed that i cannot complete my training. What i did not like about st john ambulance is that they preach equality and diversity yet there was only 2 in my team who are not White/English.

There seems to be a real issue with their organisational skills, they claim to be a big company but do not have specific plans implemented in welcoming new people into the company and reviewing their progress which is a shame. There is not a standard protocol in place therefore you never know where you are at.

Despite management being unpredictable..the staff are all wonderful, people who have been working for the company for a long time are valued but are over worked and it is not fair on them.

The company is very focused on 'it's a business' and personally i find the whole concept quite annoying.
Pros
training courses for staff
Cons
management, unorganised
ST John Ambulance Volunteer
Event Lead (Current Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex9 July 2018
there is no such thing as a typical day as each event we cover will have different things that we need to treat, there is a great team ethic within the unit, the hardest part of the job is knowing that sometimes no matter what we do we can not save everyone, I am constantly learning new skills, the best part of the job is meeting a wide range of cultures and learning a little bit about them
Pros
Meeting a wide diversity of people
Cons
Voluntery
Valuable skills learnt
Volunteer Cadet (Current Employee) –  Leatherhead29 June 2018
Being a part of St John's Ambulance cadets for over 6 years now, I have learnt so much and have shown many different skills for example presentation, communication, leadership, first aid and research skills.
Pros
Can save lives
Cons
Duties often have boring moments
Good job
Commercial Trainer (Former Employee) –  Clerkenwell, Greater London26 June 2018
It's a good job and learners are ready to learn but management is pretty hectic and you often get your course changed at short notice.
Sometimes when you turn up for work you will be told that you are teaching something you weren't prepared for.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Long hours, long journey times
N/a
Trainee Cadet first aider (Current Employee) –  Radcliffe, Greater Manchester19 June 2018
Friendly Staff, Feels homely, Great head staff and leaders.
Working here has been good i havent had any problems and i have enjoyed the experience. Good if you have enthusiasm
N/a
A Family Orientated First Aiding Charity
Volunteer First Aider (Current Employee) –  Ballymena13 May 2018
Through volunteering, I have gained exceptional casualty care skills, advanced first aid and am currently rising through the ranks. I am a cadet leader at SJA Ballymena, and I am so thankful for this role. Teaching, emotionally supporting, and being purposeful has, to an extent, been a vital element of this position.

Whilst management may work a little slower than other public charities, it still works for the best interest of the public.

The hardest role of the job would be to console affected family members whilst on duty.

But the most enjoyable would be to hear good news from the individual you have assisted and seeing the cadets grow up.
Pros
Family
Cons
It can be tough at times.
Fun
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff12 May 2018
Great opportunity to meet new people and learn new things. The skills I have learned while being part of St. Johns are priceless and the experience I have gained is amazing.
Fun and very educated
Went to First aid traing couse (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire14 April 2018
Very good educated experience I've had throughout my work experience would definitely recommend it to anyone that can do the course it will definitely help with day to day life.
Pros
Very good communication and get the point across at all thimes
Cons
None thay i could find
brilliant experience
I volunteer (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire27 March 2018
I have gained so much experience working with St John, as in September 2018 i will be starting my 3 year journey to becoming a paramedic. Working alongside paramedics and professionals it has given me the experience and the insight to what life really is going to be like when i start university.
Good Experience
Volunteer First Aider (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire26 March 2018
I have gained valuable experience within this service, this has led me to be following a career in the healthcare section in the future . This was a good organisation that providing effective training and was well lead
Pros
Good Experience
Regional Training Manager
Regional Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Gloucester26 March 2018
Great focus on community output, and the benefits to the community. With a business approach, became more streamlined, efficient and effective in focusing upon the organisation key values and aims.
Pros
good salary package
Cons
Lots of travelling
Its good
Cadet Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire16 March 2018
I really enjoy being apart of St John it has as good and accepting environment especially if you wish to grow as a person. I have become at least 10 times more confident since joining
Good team, small salary
Trainer Assessor (Former Employee) –  London8 March 2018
It is a lovely job, but the salary is very small if you compare with other training companies.
They are paying back for travel, but every day you are teaching in a different location and this is not nice.
Pros
uniform, laptop, support
Cons
salary, travelling every day in other location with a heavy bag of tools
Money driven business
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester6 March 2018
Poor communication of role, Lack of experienced IT support and poor learning and development.

Open door policy not apparent

Too much movement within business.

No structured development plan
Pros
Reputable brand
Cons
Poor upper management
Fun workplace that helps you gain medical experience.
Event first aid (Current Employee) –  West Yorkshire14 February 2018
A fun place to work and gain medical experience towards medical education. You are provided help at all times by experienced members of the health care team. Such as the doctors, nurses and paramedics you work along side.
Pros
Free lunches, drinks provided all day. Help whenever you need it by experienced staff, such as the doctors and paramedics you work alongside.
Cons
Long hours and fast paced.
Fun
Volunteer First Aider (Former Employee) –  Romford, Greater London13 February 2018
It was fun working with the public and I learned loads of new things about first aid and I learned how to save people’s life’s, even though you had to work in hot temperatures it was worth it in the end as you learned important stuff for every day life
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Long days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St John Ambulance. Our community is ready to answer.