St Helens College Employee Reviews

Good for education
Receptonist (Former Employee) –  St Helens8 June 2018
St helens College is a good college but it just wasn't for me. Maths and English teachers are lovely but sometimes you will find that you can't considerate in class.
Pros
Free 50p toast in the morning if you get there before 08:50
Cons
You can't considerate in class
Ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside4 June 2018
OK Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
Pros
Free
Cons
Not free
A safe environment with the emphasis on teaching and learning.
Curriculum Leader/Programme Leade. (Current Employee) –  Town Centre Campus31 January 2018
St Helens College is currently undergoing financial strains which is commonplace within the educational sector. Due to this, a number of administrative, teaching and managerial roles are to be reviewed. This has created an atmosphere of uncertainty within the college as well as increased workload on an already overloaded staff.
Pros
Rewarding profession. Lively, experienced colleagues. Support of team.
Cons
Limited resources. Increasing number of unpaid extra hours eg Open Evenings, Parents Evenings etc. Redundancy plans unveiled for July 2018.
fun
Area Support Manager (Former Employee) –  North West14 November 2017
enoyed learing here was a great place to learn new skills, enjoyed my time here.

I only studied here and being made to do reviews .

was not a job I only studied here
fun and enjoyable experince
Student (Former Employee) –  St Helens12 October 2017
I attended this college after leaving school and studied Business and Finance in a youth training scheme. I was able to complete the course and the staff/teachers were all very helpful
Management are bullies
INSTRUCTOR/ TUTOR (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside27 August 2017
Worked here for a few years. Every year staff were facing redundancy. The colleagues that I worked with were great apart from the bosses favourites. Management pile lots of pressure on to staff and then blame them when things don't go to their plan.
The culture is "if there breathing....enroll them" and pass them as everyone that stays passes.
Salary not great either for the work and stress.
Students are not the best behaved.
Pros
Going home
Cons
Pay. Management. Students
Happy and dynamic place to work
Lecturer (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Merseyside12 July 2017
I learned a lot about teaching whilst at St Helens College, the staff are very supportive, although the management could be a bit more supportive. The workplace culture is very positive and focused on student achievement and progression. The hardest part of the job is the excessive workload and lack of resources, however management are working on addressing these issues. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students learn and progress in their studies and knowing that you are playing a part in their success.
Pros
Nice friendly and supportive staff
Cons
Excessive workload
Great staff
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  England/ St. Helens17 June 2017
great opportunity to work in a variety of teaching roles. Courses and training to gain extra skills and experience. Discount Benefits with working at the college. Friendly and helpful staff
Pros
Discount benefits
Cons
None paid lunch breaks
exellent training
Trainee (Former Employee) –  hairdressing16 April 2017
I was traing at the college , not staff.Good staff, exellent training given throughout course.
It is a shame that the college has changed and loosing really caring and committed people.
productive place of work.
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Saint Helens10 November 2016
FE college based in Merseyside, accessible via M62..
Offering full and part time courses for adults and school leavers, as well as community courses..
fantastic staff
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  St Helens12 July 2016
Productive and fun workplace, fantastic co-workers, great support & team work, the most enjoyable part of my job is watch the success of the student and watching them grow
Pros
school hoildays
Cons
no job security
positive at all times
Instructor FE (Former Employee) –  Saint Helens11 July 2016
I worked with a good team encouraging maximum student potential at all times. The deparment I worked with were always supportive and we all felt good when the students achieved there ultimate goal.
A friendly environment was enjoyed at all times.
productive
Student (Former Employee) –  St. Helens5 November 2015
nothing much can be said about college really its just like school. you go to learn the course just wasnt for me so i decided to quit the course.
it was a fun and productive workplace
learner chef (Former Employee) –  sthelens11 September 2015
it was a well managed workplace i learned to prepare all kinds of food in a well kept environment it was fun and i enjoyed coming into learn
fun work place
cabin crew (Former Employee) –  st helens17 August 2015
my day to day routine was to ensure at the end of the days when the buses had returned to the station I would clean then in side ready for the next day service.
Lecturer (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  ENG14 May 2015
Good place to work and some nice people...If you major in music technology, you can focus on the creative, often experimental, blending of music and technology and other areas of media.
You’ll do much more than learn how to record music at this place, you will record a lot of songs. You’ll also learn how to compose, synthesize and logic and science behind the topic, and perform music; score for film, games, and other multimedia; and develop software and multimedia. Topics of study include music theory and history, acoustics, recording technology, computer composition, electronic music synthesis, technology-based performance, 3-D sound and spatial audio, and music business and law.
Pros
Nice culture
Studen
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Helens, ENG10 January 2015
Between 2005 and 2006 and 2010 and 2014 I have been a full time parent responsible for raising my children. During this period I also took the opportunity to undertake various courses within my local community to update my skills in literacy and Numeracy. My children are now in full tie education and I am seeking employment opportunities within the catering industry.
good team enviroment
Programme MGR (Former Employee) –  Saint Helens, ENG11 July 2014
• • Programme manager for level 2-3 motor vehicle IMI (NVQ)
• Programme manager for Auto Electric’s level 2-3 IMI (NVQ)
• Programme manager for Fork Lift Truck level 1-3
• Programme manager Land Rover level 3 (Jaguar-Landrover) (O.T.R)
• Assessor and portfolio builder for Jaguar-Landrover (NVQ 2)
• Recourse Manager for all Motor Vehicle Subjects (QIA) (Library) (St. Helens College)
• Implementation of Computerised Teaching Equipment (St. Helens College)
• The design and manufacture of working garage rigs
Pros
Good working enviroment
Cons
internal differentiation
Modern and happy place.
Trainee Lecturer on Placement (Current Employee) –  St Helen's Town Campus31 January 2014
I am training to be a tutor so each day is a learning experience.

Funding plays a large part in resources available.

Co workers are a nice group who all seem to get on well.

Hardest part of the the job is providing resources.

My learners make it worthwhile
Pros
Great Learners
Cons
Voluntary Placement so no remuneration
Enjoyable Workplace
Student Advocate (Former Employee) –  Saint Helens, ENG27 January 2014
This role involved me working for college on major college events, such as open evenings, careers events, charity events, student forum, learner council and many more. It involves me interacting directly with the public and assisting them with whatever they may need, and guiding them around the college campuses. In addition to this, I am one of a small cohort of students who are selected by the Head of Learner Entitlement to carry out this role, as well as representing students throughout the college on the student forum were issues that may be minor, such as seating availability, to major issues that students recognise to be disrupting their learning, such as available facilities or major disruptions from the new building I was also my classes student representative, which any issues they may have, come to me, for which I am then responsible for forwarding their concerns to senior levels of management.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Temporary working hours