St Christopher's Fellowship

St Christopher's Fellowship Employee Reviews

No two days are ever the same and the children are from all backgrounds and all have very different life experiences. The one thing they all have in common is they need people who are genuine and supportive to bring about better outcomes for them.You have to have many skills but the most important is listening and caring, the children will see right through someone who has not got their back. You have to have a large amount of emotional support available whilst remembering to bring fun and enthusiasm to every shift. Collaborating with other professionals, Social workers, Educational settings, health, and mental health workers will be essential too.Being a member of a team that keeps a supportive framework around children who may not have been given the best start in life makes you feel anything is possible.This job is not for the faint-hearted but for the brave-hearted who really want to make a difference.There are opportunities within the company to climb the career ladder too and lots of training to help you fill your emotional tool kit up.You learn lots from the training however you also get lots of knowledge from the team you work with, I was supported very well.So if you think you could make a difference to enhance someone else's life apply and be part of their journey to a brighter future.
Pros
holidays, activities and free meals.
Cons
Long shifts and sleep in shifts sometimes.
Worked for this company for 7 years. Changed from when I started regarding both role and working hours but overall good company.They offer excellent internal and external training. Diverse range of people to work alongside. Can be challenging but overall worth while and opportunity to progress if you wanted
Pros
Inhouse training
Cons
Shift work and lone working
No thought given to staff well being, expected to let St Christopher's take over your life. Expected to stay over night at work, must work 24 hour shift with very little to no sleep
Pros
Not many
Cons
Too many to list
The team and management are all supportive and great to work with, lovely culture and ethos. Great work life balance and regression and training opportunities
Pros
Training opportunities, work life balance, supportive, lovely team, central office, local carers
Cons
I worked for this company as a residential worker for 5 years. My colleagues well very supportive and worked together as a team. Plenty of training opportunities and the chance to complete an NVQ level 3. Work can be stressful at times but that is the nature of the job. Supporting young people in their daily life, education and emotional development. Good management team who are highly skilled and have worked their way through the company. An excellent company who invest both in the staff and the young people they work with.
A typical day at work could include taking young people to appointments, activities, recording daily logs, writing monthly reports, helping young people to develop independence skills e.g. cooking or budgeting. St Christopher's is an amazing charity that does incredible things for young people, and employs many skilled and lovely staff. The training on offer is excellent and the charity are constantly trialing new schemes to support young people leaving care etc. I learnt a lot about working with young people who experienced severe trauma in their childhood. I was devastated to leave as I had developed some great relationships with young people and this is what I enjoyed most about the job. However, I had a particularly bad experience regarding management not listening to staff team ideas which led to feelings of being under-valued, and unable to open up to management. No financial support with train fares when deployed to other homes and very little emotional support following incidents. Lots of micro-managing going on and very poor indirect communication which all led to poor staff retention.
Pros
Dedicated and caring staff, brilliant young people, EXCELLENT training, good pay for working in this industry and lots of progression if you want it.
Cons
Unsupported and under-valued by management, overtime not reflected in pay and having to fight for it, one weekend off a month, lots of single days off instead of 2 together, poor staff retention, little support after incidents, lots of micro managing, and you rarely get to take your break.
Very dynamic environment to work in with no two days being the same. Rewarding work as you have the opportunity to make a real impact on people who have lived through severe trauma.
I liked working with them and great learning experience. I done it for awhile but found a even better job but I did love working with st christophers fellowship
They give you the job, apply for your dbs, once everything is ready for you to start you don’t hear back from them!!! Don’t even waste your time. Such a stupid careless company
I really enjoy working within St Christopher's. They provide good training and treat staff well. I work with a good team of people and we all work as a team. As I currently work nights When I start work the yp's are getting ready to settle. I tend to try and have a catch up with them and I always remind them I'm all night if they need anything. I then complete chores within my job role. I have learnt that no two cases are the same and that all the YP's have very different backgrounds and they all cope in different ways. I can't say I find any part of the job hard as you need to remain calm and expect the worse. The YP's will shout, abuse and throw things but this is due to frustration and the feeling of not being wanted. You need to give them plenty of support, care and let them get things of their chest. You need to be compassionate and try to understand what they must feel like not living with a family. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing I have helped and made a difference to a young person. Seeing them smile laugh and mess around is a great feeling. I enjoy doing fun things with like baking, organizing days out and holidays.
Pros
day trips out, free meals, chance of traveling/holidays
great place to work and what job do you get to go on trips during the half terms. people are great like any other work place. shifts can be hard but that what i signed u[p for.
Pros
bug house
Cons
shidt work
I worked with St Chris to get more wisdom in youth work but more specifically the legalities and working on the steps to independence side because prior I had always done focused youth work roles; e.g. Sports, Music, After school homework/revision etc. and all these roles required me to be spontaneous but I wanted to experience what its like working in a place that is very formal / rules orientated so I can learn more of the legislation and laws regarding youth and I can confirm that is what I learnt. Most enjoyable part of the job was the activities and the fact that the home I worked in was perfectly positioned for many amazing team and young people building activities The typical day at work could include everything from setting up meetings and replying to emails to doing a cooking session or some bit of D.I.Y improvement for the home and then stopping a fight or giving a one to one session filled with advice - helping a young person apply for something they need to do etc. think the culture there is great especially as they are adapting social pedagogy the only issue is due to these trying times they have management changing heavily and drastically at present from HQ all the way down through the company which adds uncertainty to the employees and the HARDEST PART(S) are/is the salary. Unfortunately like many youth roles though rewarding for society it's not as rewarding in salary so when I became a father I had to leave also the flexible hours becomes VERY FLEXED when you spend an extra £4 hours minimum on your shift if unlucky enough to have a fight / incident - more...
Pros
Young people, Good team if your lucky
Cons
Bad bosses, Long hours, Underpaid, Over worked
The job does give you the opportunity to really work with young people, but the lack of care towards the employees home lives is disgusting. You get 1 weekend off a month! and you have to work public holidays, including christmas and new years. Management say that you get a choice, but I have worked both because management wanted a longer christmas break. The Pay does not match the work or potential dangers. If you get seriously assaulted, you might get 2 weeks sick pay (if you are lucky). Staff have to paint, wallpaper, garden, manage behaviour and files, do site maintenance jobs, clean the kids rooms, go on 2 week trips wit no extra pay. They sell you dreams of progression and better pay, when you jump through the fiery hoops, they find an excuse to not give you what they promised. All the company care about is keeping the local authorities happy and making money.
Pros
Good gateway to better paying jobs
Cons
They want your soul for little pay
This has to be one of the worst companies I have every worked for. They do not care about the staff and most of the managers I had met were rude and spiteful. There's other companies about there who actually take staff into consideration. If you're looking for a job and considering this company, save yourself from unhappiness.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this company.
Rosslyn Road provides accommodation with practical and emotional support to young people aged 16-21 who are in the care of Richmond Achieving for Children. This is the transitional stage from care to independent living. I am responsible as a key worker for supporting the young people to develop life and independent living skills, which help build positive relationships, improve emotional resilience, raise self esteem and support life long learning. I achieve this by using tools and techniques that best suit the YP learning styles during key work sessions, supporting them to engage in EET.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Distance from home, salary, shifts!
This is the one place of work that has had such great flexibility whilst being a mum. The people are great and what the actual company does for the young people is amazing.
writing monthly reports, chronological logs, emails to external agencies, risk assessments, lone working, financial management, safeguarding training workshops. writing reports to the managements standards, was the hardest part of the job. the most enjoyable part of this job was engaging and supporting the young people.
Pros
meeting a few members of the team and young people, gaining experience.
Cons
extremely long hours, too many sleep-ins
2 weeks of lates 1500-2200 and 1 week of earlies 0800-1800 all with 30mins for a break.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
10 hours days not reflected in salavry
Empowering and Beneficial work place , Good team work and management Challenging behavior Achieving Goals
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
long journey
• Recruit, train, develop and manage the staff team • Implement and develop strategies to address and improve the behaviour, life changes and independent skills of young people, many with undiagnosed learning problems and difficulties. • Monitor, implement and develop Health and Safety • Setting up and overseeing outreach • Develop and support links with other agencies • Establish and maintain staff rotas • Working well within agreed budget • Home and Regional Manager-on-call duties • Promote and develop working care practices • Monitor and develop recording systems • Setting up new projects
Pros
Enjoyed working with the children, Good Rate of Pay
Cons
Very Very Long hours
A typical day would be based at the home, managing the staff and ensuring adherence to policies and procedures. Ensuring a safe working and living environment for staff and young people. Being available to young people for talking with about their issues. Attending meetings with social workers and placement teams. I have learnt that staff and young people respond to clear boundaries, staff need motivating during the tough times to achieve the goals set by myself and the organisation. I am not a micro manager I believe in supporting, guiding and directing staff to undertake their roles. I believe I give a clear vision to staff and set annual targets for the team and individuals to achieve. I believe in being flexible in responding to the changing needs of commissioners of service. I have been lucky in finding good staff, that has led to stable productive teams. This in turn has allowed me at times to take on extra challenges. An example being able to go to Sweden and learn a new web based recording system, then taking the lead in setting up training staff around the England and the Isle of Man. I work well with my co-workers and have undertaken a trouble shooting role when needed in other areas of the country.One of the hardest parts of the job i have found is often a lack of a clear vision from Senior Managers and ability to get speedy responses to changing situations and to think outside the box. An example being tasked with setting up a new spot purchase home without a clear overall Lead person, but i achieved this on budget and the new service opened ahead of schedule.For - more...
Pros
meeting and working well with people from our commissioners.
Cons
being constantly on call in the evenings and weekends