St Austell Brewery Employee Reviews

Never again
Tennant (Former Employee) –  Cornwall19 May 2019
worked for this company a couple of times both bad experiences. They just dont care as long as they get their money. No support from middle management and they dont listen to you. Would never return .
Cons
Too many to list
Productive, Fun and interesting.
WAITER (Former Employee) –  Brixham10 October 2018
Having only worked here a few months, i thought I would not fully experience or enjoy the job to its fullest degree. However, whilst being there I fully enjoyed the staff, fun management, interesting enviroment of the kitchen, and the compelling nature of the business.
Pros
Lots of hours, and decent wage
Cons
Short breaks, no food
Enjoy the people and job.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cornwall23 July 2018
I enjoy my job and most of the people I work with. It hasn’t all been nice though. Gossip central. Support minimal, no room to improve skills and go further. This is based on the st Austell brewery pub I work at. St Austell brewery it’s self is an ok company and seem to want to help and support.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Unsupported
Nice experience
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Branscombe23 April 2018
It was a life experience, from which I learned how much I could,
with people very busy, generous and patient.
A place in a very beautiful region,with a realy nice wiev.
Pros
Staff menu
Cons
Not team work
Good
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hope and Anchror23 March 2018
Been a great evolution to my abilties, I have learnt the corporate side of the industry and the demand for good service. A fun culture with flexible management and hours despite the role I enlist in.
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Progression
Fun workplace however management aren't so friendly
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Fowey, Cornwall5 October 2017
Really enjoyed working at the ship inn Fowey for the first couple weeks, however a life event interrupted my availability to come to work one evening and I was sacked for this. As I went in to collect my wages I was shouted at and sweared at and called a joke. I wasn't given any of my tips. Overall negative experience.
Pros
Free soda water
Cons
Nasty, rude staff
Can be rewarding, however ST Austell slowly ruining Graze.
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Graze Bath26 September 2017
I worked at Graze Bath for a few years, under both Bath Ales management then St Austell. Current managers, who are still from Bath ales era and are great. However it has become obvious they receive little resources from St Austell to carry out their job as effectively as possible. Unfortunately it appears since the St Austell takeover many key members of the Graze team have been pushed out or left the restaurant. Pay and benefits are less under St Austell, particularly for those under 21. Staff discount of 40% off food has been reduced to 10%. Since St Austell takeover, they have found it hard to hold down a Head chef, the new one is extremely rude to foh staff. Saying all this, there is still a good team there, that at times are fun to work with. Busy shifts are very rewarding and the tips are very good, supplementing the lower wage rate well. Hours are flexible but expect late finishes on a Saturday.
Pros
Good tips.
Cons
Poor leadership from St Austell
amazing brewery
Senior Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Newquay, Cornwall26 September 2017
Over the time I worked for St Austell Brewery the parts I admired the most were the skills of the staff, the energy and above all, their training program at Academy 1851
Pros
great training
Cons
slow progression
Fun place to work at
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Fowey24 June 2017
I loved working for St Austell brewery I Have worked with them for many years and it was so much fun as the staff were always lovely and always friendly and willing to help me out
Enjoyed working within such a friendly team.
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Stithians, Cornwall28 March 2017
Pub dynamics are diverse. Enjoyed the challenge of different roles faced during my time there.
All staff were welcoming and friendly and enthusiastic.
Pros
taught new skills
Cons
low wage
brilliant workplace
HGV Driver class 1 (Former Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon7 March 2017
I enjoyed my time at st austell brewery and was sad to leave, i met many friends there the only downside was you had to load your own lorries and with such a small depot and so many lorries this was not easy.
Fun
Bar Team Member (Former Employee) –  Porthleven, Cornwall25 January 2017
Fantastic workplace with amazing colleagues
Former bartender 2013-2016
Throughout my time working for The Harbour inn I gained a huge amount of experience, and enjoyed every second of it. The staff were tremendous and was like being a family unit. The management were phenomenal and when I left were very nice to say that if I ever wanted to come back they would welcome me back with open arms.
Fun
Bartender (Current Employee) –  St. Austell, Cornwall27 December 2016
It is a fun place to work, you get to meet new people, learn several different skills and build rapport. I learned how to deal with customers, complaints, customer service, knowledge of the food and drinks etc. The hardest part of the job is dealing with big parties, there can sometimes be complaints as some places find it hard to deal with due to lack of space etc. But you learn how to deal with these complaints through experience and training given through CPL.
Pros
20% discount card
Cons
Short shifts, not well paid
Appalling
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Cornwall21 September 2016
The was staff and situations are delt with is disgusting , and found that discrimination seems to be exceptible from senior members of staff... and managment do not deal with situations properly. Was a shame as had wanted to work for them for years... what a disapointment as love the job itself.
Pros
Cons
Un approachable
Expanding regional brewer
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Exeter25 February 2016
I have enjoyed my time with St Austell and feel that they have given me many chances to prove my drive and enthusiasm for retail management.

I do feel that the working week is much more rewarding than the larger national brands as this company promotes innovation and welcomes new ideas about operations and standards.
Pros
Being able to speak with every one within the company from the breweing team to the MD
Cons
Great place to start your working career
Maidenhead Aquatics (Former Employee) –  ENG16 April 2014
Worked on own initiative to provide quick efficient service with comprehensive advice and individualised recommendations of products to customers

Prompt and efficient attention to responsibilities such as taking customer payments, answering calls, stacking shelves, pricing products, dealing with deliveries and repeatedly performing quality check
Pros
Good hours, lovely people and great atmosphere
Cons
Poor salary
Supportive
Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  ENG18 January 2014
Very good company ! Training and salary.
FAIRNESS OF CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT

TRAINING PROVIDED

INFORMATION & ADVICE

And many other areas

94% of St Austell Brewery tenants voted that they were satisfied with the support given.

95% of tenants would recommend St Austell Brewery.
Pros
Food supplied ~Healthcare~ Dentalcare
Cons
Long hours ~ hard work
allows to reap what you sow
pub licensee (Former Employee) –  St. Austell, ENG6 November 2013
As I was self employed most of the relevant questions are not applicable.I must say that St.Austell Brewery were very helpful in advancement of my and my wifes career in the pub industry.
Pros
prove your own motivation and capabilities
Cons
long hours, full seven days a week commitment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St Austell Brewery. Our community is ready to answer.

St Austell Brewery Reviews by Location