St Austell Brewery

St Austell Brewery Employee Reviews

United Kingdom32 reviews
Working with other stakeholders and advising managers on managing people fairly.
The office culture is very fast-paced.

The hardest part can be getting managers to engage.

The most enjoyable part is working with great supportive colleagues
St Austell brewery is an excellent company to work for full time or part time.
You could work just as a job or work towards a career with them.

The salary package is also very competitive for the industry.
Wouldn't personally suggest it, management are not only rude and insecure they are selfish and unorganised. Prior to a employee leaving they continued to treat him with disrespect because he was leaving. Management is family run so if ones mad they all are at you it can make you not only uncomfortable but upset too. The perks are nice but that's high up bosses if your management could pick they wouldn't give them to you.if you want a happy place to work here is not for you.
St austell brewery are a fantastic family business to work for. I personally would recommend anyone who has the flair, the love of working with strong teams, enjoys being trained to the next step.
i was in the kitchen gets stressful easy, you have to work fasted passed making sure everything is done to the highest standard, make sure all the customers are happy
I loved working fir this company but felt being a long way from the brewery not as many benefits as those in Cornwall . Slight lack of genuine support when asked for . Hard to recruit in some areas and a lot of pressure put on GM to cover staff and managers .
However it would not deter me working for them again should the opportunity arise
Dose not pay well enough for the stuff you have to put up with.
Management is a joke.

All tips are shared even tho you've personally been given it

Rosta changes every 2 minutes because someone is I'll or cant make there shift.
I started working for the brewery when I was 16 as a waiter. My manager at the time saw potential in me so they decided to send me on these training courses to broaden my knowledge.
They are out of contact with their workers, there pay scale is different all over there sites, as long as profits are coming in they don't care there is no staff back up, they project themselves as a caring company but I'm sorry that is far from the truth
I found working here was a really eye opening experience for me. The hours were long, but i found that working as a team really helped me develop skills.
Pros
Well organised
Cons
Long Hours
Overall a average company to work for. In recent years middle management has made the draymans role much harder than it needs to be . A lot of heavy manual work that would suit someone under the age of 40 . Not really any aspects of this job that are enjoyable apart from a ggod salary .
Pros
good salary
Cons
Staff are under valued
Very friendly hospitality and the management are great not happy with unskilled chefs having affinity over me or in charge of me it should be a skill chef or a manager in the
Push you to do ridiculous hours a week. They mess the rota up and go mad when you don't want to change your day off... Management is appalling. Ridiculously low wage promising lots getting none. trust me. Don't accept a job there.
Pros
One or two members of staff
Cons
Everything else
worked for this company a couple of times both bad experiences. They just dont care as long as they get their money. No support from middle management and they dont listen to you. Would never return .
Cons
Too many to list
I only spent one week at St Austell Brewery on work experience however, I found everyone very welcoming and considered my role both challenging and enjoyable.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Repitative
Having only worked here a few months, i thought I would not fully experience or enjoy the job to its fullest degree. However, whilst being there I fully enjoyed the staff, fun management, interesting enviroment of the kitchen, and the compelling nature of the business.
Pros
Lots of hours, and decent wage
Cons
Short breaks, no food
I enjoy my job and most of the people I work with. It hasn’t all been nice though. Gossip central. Support minimal, no room to improve skills and go further. This is based on the st Austell brewery pub I work at. St Austell brewery it’s self is an ok company and seem to want to help and support.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Unsupported
It was a life experience, from which I learned how much I could,
with people very busy, generous and patient.

A place in a very beautiful region,with a realy nice wiev.
Pros
Staff menu
Cons
Not team work
Been a great evolution to my abilties, I have learnt the corporate side of the industry and the demand for good service. A fun culture with flexible management and hours despite the role I enlist in.
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Progression
Really enjoyed working at the ship inn Fowey for the first couple weeks, however a life event interrupted my availability to come to work one evening and I was sacked for this. As I went in to collect my wages I was shouted at and sweared at and called a joke. I wasn't given any of my tips. Overall negative experience.
Pros
Free soda water
Cons
Nasty, rude staff
I worked at Graze Bath for a few years, under both Bath Ales management then St Austell. Current managers, who are still from Bath ales era and are great. However it has become obvious they receive little resources from St Austell to carry out their job as effectively as possible. Unfortunately it appears since the St Austell takeover many key members of the Graze team have been pushed out or left the restaurant. Pay and benefits are less under St Austell, particularly for those under 21. Staff discount of 40% off food has been reduced to 10%. Since St Austell takeover, they have found it hard to hold down a Head chef, the new one is extremely rude to foh staff. Saying all this, there is still a good team there, that at times are fun to work with. Busy shifts are very rewarding and the tips are very good, supplementing the lower wage rate well. Hours are flexible but expect late finishes on a Saturday.
Pros
Good tips.
Cons
Poor leadership from St Austell