SSP Employee Reviews

you have to pay them 100 Pounds
team member (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol15 February 2018
I work for one month and was an awful experience and when I left the job they ask me 100 pounds for a card that they gave me for work in the till. so now I have a debt with them and have to pay them.
Poor pay, poor management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent31 January 2018
Manager would get upset if you can’t come in on your only day off and would start cutting shifts down. Would call at 3:30am asking to cover shifts and would get upset if you couldn’t do it. No breaks either even though we are meant to get 30 minutes. Very understaffed for a very busy station. Very stressful.
Pros
No pros
Some lovely team members
CDP (Former Employee) –  Elveden, Suffolk27 January 2018
I use to work for ssp at foresters inn centre parcs elveden for just over 3 and a half years I use to love my job when I first started there everyone seemed to get on and work really well together then over the last year or so the place changed and was a horrible place to work I was told to apply for higher chef jobs then told I wasn't flexible enough, was the person who got taken to task but when it came down to others it would be ignored. Management didn't seemed interested unless they liked you. I left December 2017 and it's the best thing I have done and wished I had done it sooner would i ever work there again no never!!! J
Pros
Staff card money off food
very bad company
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester24 January 2018
it's a joke company. they pay yourself with the minimum salary and expecting from you all the maximum work. it's really bad. no respect for the team and manager not serious. i never want to go back over there.
Awful
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Bristol airport19 January 2018
The staff at brunel bar Bristol airport are so soul distroying there miserable to work with unhelpful and dawn right rude I couldn't get out fast enough to be told they deduct 100 out your wages for your pass as you had not stayed for a year trust me 5 weeks was enough .
Pros
Cons
Miserable place and staff
Soul draining
Team Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Manchester airport terminal 112 January 2018
Since new management has taken over the Starbucks store has gone extremely down hill. The job I went into was very high paced and professional. Team leaders were fully trained and full training was provided to staff members- this was over a year ago. Now the store is constantly a mess, the managers are all extremely rude minus one. No credit for the constant hard work given. No praise. No development opportunities even when willing to upgrade your role. Drinks and food have to be paid for unlike other Starbucks stores previously worked in that provided all this free. Manners don’t cost a thing! Worst store ever. The people and friendships keep you sane, unfortunately they are slowly leaving. No other reason to stay, the pay is shocking!!!!
Pros
The friendships
Cons
Everything minus the friendships.
Productive team building environment
CASHIER AND CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Waterloo10 January 2018
In my time with SSP, all the night shift staff were very help and supportive in working together.
Exception of shift managers being selective of who they preferred to work.
Pros
Good working environment if you wish to learn something new.
Starbucks Terminal 1 - Horrible place to work.
Team Member - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester28 December 2017
Along with offering half decent drinks by some partners with only 30% training. Starbucks also offer partners working at the store, lack of respect, illegal working hours between shifts, understaffed shifts, independence (no training given), regularly cutting hours to save money, and the opportunity to role play as a underpaid supervisor when management fail to put a supervisor on shift. However don't be discouraged, SSP's offers you 50% of all there overpriced food and drinks unlike the many company's who offer hard working partners free lunch. I can promise you this will be the most frustrating place to work. But not to worry you're manager will pop in and pretend to help when the bosses pay a visit.
Pros
The hard working people, who are slowly leaving.
Cons
98% of the whole job.
Very good
Bartender/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Katharine docks (The Dickens Inn)24 December 2017
The Dickens Inn.Nice bar and good location.everyday I meet new people. Most of the customers are tourists.it was good. I learn so many things. Also management wss good.
Shocking company
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Uk12 December 2017
Zero care about staff, team leaders get paid at most £1 more than team members so it's really not worth the hassle and responsibility! The extra 50p an hour is only available if every store meets and jumps through so many hoops. The food waste policy is shocking! All food waste goes in the bin for the day.. No staff or any body in need is allowed to have it despite many major retailers doing so.
Pros
A measly 15% discount.. But not in main M&S
Worse place for work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Waterloo Station3 December 2017
Never ever work for this company. SSP they make money end of the day you get nothing. Management they want their job secure. They never think about staff. I recommend not to work for this company.
Cancerous company
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow30 October 2017
Never have I had to work for such a cancerous company. Management constantly call you to cover shifts when you specifically request days off. Mess you around with sign off. Turnover exceptionally high. Out if the 15 people hired with me only I remain. Only decent thing is the hatred for the company by the staff.
Very fun place to work
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Royal Berkshire hospital reafing25 October 2017
I worked with ssp for a while, before having a baby, I really enjoyed working for the campany. I worked on tills , making food and coffee and deling with the general public.
Undesirable
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 October 2017
Don't be fooled. The company is a fraud, low pay and I ended up in debt to the company when I left. False promises, continual disappointment, apparently you have to pay for the uniform after you decide to quit. Bunch of frauds. You want to work for pennies and still get shouted at for no reason. Work for SSP.
Pros
Good food
Cons
No career progression, low pay, inconsiderate staff.
Productive, busy, laid back
Purchase Ledger Accounts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haifax8 September 2017
Was a temporary full time short term contract, I was offered a permanent full time contract but I am seeking part-time or job share so I turned the offer down. A shame really as SSP are a good company to work for, but wouldn't shift over their full time policy.
Pros
Easy Going
Cons
Long Hours
Needs better management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 September 2017
Interview was unorganized.
They didn't demonstrate how things were done rather they just expected you to know.
Other than that, staff were friendly and welcoming but definitely need to work on working as a team rather than individually.
Massive company
Multi Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool Airport4 September 2017
Massive company with lots of opportunities. Lively environment but lots of hard work. Plenty of room to grow and learn. Would return to company any day
Pros
Staff discounts
lots of oportunities
suppervisor (Former Employee) –  london Victoria29 August 2017
Providing excellent costumer service with the smile,stock renew and count,till work,cash up.
very busy place
supportive management,trainings to improve skills and knowledge
multicultural team work
fun every day
learning costumers needs,new foods,most populiar products,
most enjoyable part when costumer comes back its really rewording.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
night shifts
No Respect/bad management
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear13 August 2017
Worst company ever . Treat you like dirt , started full of promises , then let down. Turnover high=low standards , slow service etc. If you like working under dictatorship, then this is the job for u .
Pros
Plenty overtime
Cons
Management / no respect / no career prospects
an improving medium sized software house
Dev Manager (Current Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire26 July 2017
getting better but still transitioning... but trying hard to get to where they need to be. There is interesting projects, and exciting plans but the infrastructure and current status leaves a lot to be desired

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSP. Our community is ready to answer.