SSP Employee Reviews

terrible
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancashire5 September 2018
no good words to say, the company only cares about its bottom line and has little worry about its staff. There is a lot of pressure on the management to achieve unrealistic results with limited resources.
good overall experience
Head UK IT Finance, Developments Proj Management (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 August 2018
good company to work for. Sweating the asset and very financially driven company.

But overly concerned to profit in the short term, SSP is damaging its own brands with cost cut measure that reduce the quality of the food and drinks served at their outlets.
Bad experience
Team Leader, Customer Service & Host (Former Employee) –  Euston Station19 August 2018
week management
poor salary
no progress expected
no buisness ethics
unhealthy environment
good for temporary job
starting job
they hire immediatly not much required
Pros
easy job
Cons
poor wage
in turmoil
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  East Croydon Station, Greater London2 August 2018
the computer system has been getting worse and worse over the past year and after several emails with nobody coming to see if they could rectify the problem i became disheartened plus i got passed over for team leader position when promised by manager and regional manager i was next
Pros
discount food card
Cons
rubbish computer system, working with lazy staff that no one would discipline
Awful company and you will get charged when you leave!!!
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol27 July 2018
Worked in Bristol airport and the management is a joke. The hours are extremely unreasonable, staff are always miserable which results in terrible customer service. I am glad I have left working for SSP and I strongly encourage others to not waste their time.

I was given 1 T-shirt when I started and a well used keycard, SSP charged me £50 for these once I left. I have also been charged £100 for ID checks its truly shocking that you are not informed about this before you start.

In all, I would advise you not to bother with SSP you will regret it.
Pros
Cons
Where do I start...
learned great customer service skills and how to keep up with the flow of service at anyt
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Bristol26 July 2018
When I worked here, the regulations and standards for cleaning a kitchen were so low that I would get in trouble for cleaning "too much" and using "too much cleaning product" where your chicken and other meats were being cooked... is there really such a thing as a kitchen that is "too clean"?
The work was awful, people would constantly slack off, and wait until last minute to get things done. They would push their work onto others. They would take smoke breaks for 30 minutes, even though they are supposed to be three minutes.
Working at Burger king was a delightful place of employment. There was always someone to assist when i was learning the ropes. Making food was a real joy for me!
Pros
free nothing
Cons
everything
Fun place to work
Team Leader/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow18 July 2018
I have worked with SSP for over 3 years now and have found that there are numerous ways for staff to progress and advance within the company if it is their desire. There are many great avenues to choose and lead onto a successful career.
Absolutely awful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex15 July 2018
Only stayed for a week - couldn't stand the place. Absolutely zero organisation for new starters/training, incredibly understaffed with staff being moved between three separate locations every week, nobody even bothered to train me up, got frustrated when I didn't know how to do certain things, then management expected me to work alone. Received nothing but passive-aggressive emails from management - really doesn't warrant £5.90 an hour. Complete joke of a company.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours, Poor Management, No training
Horrible
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester9 July 2018
Avoid SSP! They treat you like you're trash on the bottom of their shoe! If your face doesn't fit or you can't help last minute then kiss goodbye to your job!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Too many to note!
Achievements are not recognised. Minimal perks and poor management.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  King's Cross, Greater London27 June 2018
Working for SSP UK for over a year, I can tell you that it's a minimum wage job, and the amount of work expected is unfair for the amount that you're paid. Even working up towards a team leader, I was still paid minimum wage with all the extra responsibilities of a team leader. Management was poor with regards to how they interact with other employees and there is no relationship at all unless something isn't done right, then that's the only time you'll see them. There are hardly any perks, a discount card that's not that useful and overtime isn't really appreciated or recognised within the company. The ONLY reason that I had stayed as long was the co-workers that I had, they made it such an enjoyable place to work and made me laugh often and made it hard for me to leave. I left for personal reasons but I would NEVER work for this company again. They need to truly realise the people that work for their company and realise how hard they actually work to keep them running. There are no substantial incentives or bonuses to keep employees motivated. Working a nine hour shift with a 30 minute break was ridiculous, as we are on our feet the majority of the shift (if not the entire shift). I write this review in the hope that anyone who is looking to work for this company is well informed into what they are getting into, as I felt that the way that they advertise themselves is not completely accurate.

Saying that, I did learn a lot about retail that I didn't know, how to manage a team and how to do paperwork related to the role. There are also some really lovely customers that
  more... you come across and make your day a little bit better.  less
Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Paddington, Greater London23 June 2018
Manager was only interested on good to this senior post, even, he was willing to let his staff down by doing this. He does not even encourage his staff to use the facility provided by the company, as he is scared of loss
Pros
Cons
Short Breaks, Have to pay for lunch, Manager does not look after staff
Awful company
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Glasgow Airport20 June 2018
Completely awful company. Management don’t treat you like a person. Let customers shout at you and treat you like dirt. Minimum wage for maximum work!!
not good
Team member (Former Employee) –  london30 May 2018
not good at times. my requests were ignored at times and sometimes treated out right rudely. For the sake of earning money I kept going for months and a few kind staff members helped me along the way.
“Team member”
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester24 May 2018
Worked here for about 2 months when I was 17, awful pay firstly. They take advantage of the younger people by putting you on more shifts because it’s ‘cheaper’. Made me do morning shifts 4am- 12, for a full week whilst having known I was still in college. Had to pay for lunches and the best part was definitely watching the senior team members constantly show up late and then go missing will your shift has ended. Funny how we get one chance and they get treated like royalty.
Pros
Hours are thee of needed
Cons
As it is a station that you are working in or a airport the some customers are very rude and impatient. It can be a fun place to work sometimes .
Sales cashier (Former Employee) –  Liverpool Street Station, Greater London23 May 2018
I would say working for SSP wasn’t the best idea I’ve made in a while they will over work you for such rubbish pay . I was forced to upsell every single customer even if the customer told me they only wanted one item so it almost felt like I was forcing them to buy other stuff because of business needs . I worked at Liverpool Street station for about 4 months and couldn’t take it any more I was told I was going to get a bonus for about 4 months mean while I was up selling my life away but still no bonus . I wasn’t progressing at all coming into work go pointless over a short period of time .
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours and early starts
Productive but low pay
Glass Collector/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire21 May 2018
Pay and hours are not enough for how much you have to do while you are working there, job is only part time so are not guaranteed work after that amount of time
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Low pay
hard working teams tough locations for some employees
Operations Manager South West (Current Employee) –  South West Cornwall21 May 2018
Good solid company delivering great results in tough climates! Many brand standards to deliver for many different brands , Multiple remote locations make this hard in some aspects but achievable!
Pros
Great People/ Great Teams
Cons
Tough challenges but??? that's everywhere
dont work here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Paddington Station16 May 2018
i worked there for less than a month because i couldnt stand working another day! the management is horrible! extremely rude. the "training" was ridiculous. all i was doing was cleaning throughout every shift working there. they would complain at me for not helping on the tills when i was specifically told NOT to go on tills by the manager! the place was just a mess and i thank God i left when i did.
Pros
free lunch
A lovely place of work.
Client Support Assistant / Receptionist / Admin (Former Employee) –  London16 May 2018
A very busy and friendly place of work.

Overall a lovely and friendly place to work, they care about their staff.
It was a very busy receptionist desk, signing in all visitors and directing them to their destinations. With a extremely busy switchboard ensuring all calls were announced and directed accurately.
Pros
Lovely area
Horrible place to work
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands14 May 2018
The best place for discrimination and making people look stupid and vulnerable. In the end they don't even want to pay you and trying to go around just to save funny amount of money. This place should be reviewed considering human rights.
Good luck

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSP. Our community is ready to answer.