SSP Employee Reviews

Do not work here
Barista (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London13 July 2019
If you value your sanity, do NOT work here, their training isn’t straight forward enough, for someone who has learning difficulties they have ZERO patience and they WILL huff and puff in your face about it. Instead of helping you they will just take your customer and finish the transaction and make you look stupid. I’ve had colleagues sneeze and continue to cook the food I had to tell them to WASH their hands. Some don’t even cook the food until the timer is finished so the food will be cold for the customer. They are super careless about timings on premium food I don’t understand how they are still in business . We prepared food right next to the money counting machine which is disgusting. Managers are racist and so are most of the staff. They do not care about their staff the store manager whistles at their staff like we are dogs. It’s too much to mentally take. Maybe if they treated their employees like humans then so many people wouldn’t leave.
And the store manager is probably the most uneducated person I ever Encountered most probably worse than customers.
Cons
Everything.
Burger King Waterloo
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Waterloo Station24 June 2019
Do not ever apply to. It is absolutely unbearable. Mistreatment. Bad payed. They never have team members so you have to work twice as much for a minimum salary.Exploitation. The manager believes that he will live in times of slavery and shouts. for all.
Cons
Horrible manager had her favourite staff members
Barista (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton17 June 2019
The manager at Wolverhampton pumpkin cafe was a real horrible person. She shouted at staff and I was 5 months pregnant she had me carrying heavy stock all day and no break.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Very busy, dont train you enough have to just try and pick it up
Run... just run
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester15 June 2019
Do not apply for this job. Management are horrific. Its run on next to no staff 24/7 so you will be rushed and overworked trying to do the work if 3 people.
You will often be left with no backup, help or understanding from management. I know staff who have been physically hurt by faulty machinery and other members of staff left to run a whole shop single handedly (they were the only ones who turned up that day)
Management will hire anyone, so you will be working with teenagers who dont care, turn up or dont have any work ethic. The pay is terrible, the conditions are worse, and the hours are sometimes illegal.

This is by far the worst job I've ever had.
Pros
Cons
Just about everything
Good Team
Trade Marketing & Space Planning Executive (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 June 2019
Great Team and development chances. Challenging workload but right for people that drive off that. Learnt a huge amount working there which will be beneficial in finding a new career
Worst company
Bar and Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Bristol Airport6 June 2019
They don’t care about staff, don’t let you take your full breaks,foods to expensive they put so much pressure on you. All they care about is the money not the staff or the customers, I would never recommend working for this company!
Pros
Good money
Cons
Staff don’t get treated like they should
Not an easy job, but you learn a lot
General Manager (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom28 May 2019
To start with, as an SSP manager the job is difficult: the work is heavily compliance-based whilst running on tight labour/maintenance/equipment budgets. Due to low staffing levels, a manager is usually expected to work the floor in peak times and run shifts, not hide in the office. This can be a culture shock to some! Initial training should be a lot better considering the job complexity.
Team Members/Team Leaders are not particularly well-paid, so retaining and motivating a team can be one of the biggest challenges. In cases of high sickness/absence there can be a lot of overtime involved, which is difficult to take back. As with any workplace, your line manager, your team and the location can all affect your experience - this is true of any level.
Management bonuses are based on four different metrics, which mean that even if one area is not going so well, it is still possible to earn a bit above base salary each quarter. The bonus is not guaranteed, but the management wages tend to be decent when compared to competitors. That may not be a popular opinion but, having worked across the industry, there is much worse out there.
The lack of recognition and reward can be demotivating and is very dependent on your line manager. "Benefits" advertised initially are pretty much non-existent.
All that said there is good potential in terms of advancement within the company due to having so many sites across UK (including head office roles), and the challenges you face give valuable experience that you can take anywhere.
Finally, a positive attitude goes a long way. Yes, you're
  more... just a number and it probably won't be your dream job, but it doesn't mean that you can't succeed in the role, go the extra mile and progress if that's what you want.  less
Pros
Opportunities, salary, colleagues, experience
Cons
Tight budgets, not much reward/recognition, maintenance issues, training
Fun place to work if you get the right staff. Always understaffed. Always cutting hours.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Hull City Centre, East Riding of Yorkshire21 May 2019
Typical day would be just doing our everyday jobs, serving, cleaning and doing the close down if we was closing.
I've learnt a fair few things whilst being in SSP gained experience. The down fall to the company is that they are very stingy on hours and giving shops the staff they need. Weekend work is not shared out fairly either, get stuck with ridiculous times.
Hardest part is mentally doing things, such as doing a close down and what comes with that, especially when you're only a team member and not a team leader to this sort of job.
The work place is enjoyable when there is a good team working together to keep the shop going.
Pros
Easy shift swaps
Cons
Hours cut constantly
"Just a job"
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London12 May 2019
People comes and goes in this company. Unfortunately if you work hard your only reward is more job (for the same salary) or if not you get a complain. You can only get higher position if you are one of your manager's friend.
This job is suitable for a couple of months.
Pumkin
Kitchen assistant, customer service, bar assistant (Former Employee) –  Darlington11 May 2019
A gratuity is a sum of money customarily given by a client or customer to a service worker in addition to the basic price. Tipping is commonly given to certain service sector workers for a service performed, as opposed to money offered for a product or as part of a purchase price.
Pros
Free
Cons
30 min
Awful company
Barista (Former Employee) –  Belfast1 May 2019
Do yourself a favour and dont even think of applying. You will be given a set of rules , very little training any expect to work on your own while management swan about and offer no support or help . You will not get breaks and expect to serve very poor frozen product for premium price often leading to getting abuse from angry customers . If you really are thinking about it . Go and observe one of SSP stores . It will be filthy and in poor condition , staff will be on themselves and the will be selling poor looking product . Trust me . Ask the staff what it's like working with the company . They will be honest . They promise an extra £1 an hour at interview but don't tell you it unrealistic targets which you will never achieve . when senior management visit from England you have to pretend everything is great and everything is rosie in the field , all problems are hidden , but it's not as if they even care . This is the only time you'll see management working and will have extra on shift helping .
Pros
One free coffee per shift
Cons
Loan working .dangerous conditions, poor management, poor product, pay never right, you wont get holiday you want and most often lose out on days, shoddy equipment .
Aldrig igen
Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  London25 April 2019
Det var ingen ledning eller stöd för att hjälpa man sköter sitt jobb. Väldigt svårt att ha en livsbalans när man måste ta hem läxor värje kväll och helg.
not a good company
trainee bar staff (Former Employee) –  Stansted Airport11 April 2019
this company cut all contact with me after giving them the paperwork for my continued employment leaving me to beleave i was unemployed. 5 months later i found out that they never in 7 month's changed the tax code i had worked under and that i was still registered as a employee despite the company providing no work and leaving me in the dark. i am currently trying to get my p45 and p60 unsuccessfully be very careful if you end up working for this company and ensure you demand they provide the tax office with the documents required for your tax code designation or you will be left with the wrong one if you dont. the job its self has non stop issues resources in short supple and constant refunds to unhappy customers. may have improved but not likely
Pros
you get paid
Cons
incorrect tax, no communication, non stop custo
Productive and Hard work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Victoria Station, Greater London8 April 2019
Working with SSP is hard work but there is so much to learn about customer service, food, and hygiene, etc. The best part of working there is the team, everyone in the team is nice and easy to work with from managers to colleagues, which gives a kind positivity to work there. The hardest part of the work is the long working hours and the most enjoyable part is interacting with customers from different backgrounds, which give the understanding of how the customer service can be improved to meet their expectations.
Pros
Nice people to work with and free meals on shift
Cons
Long working hours
Do not work here
Trade Planning Team Head Office (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 April 2019
Terrible work culture. Very high staff turnover. Bully of a manager who commented repeatedly on my personal appearance and nit picked every last detail, including that I wrote too many notes and that I didn't seem "hungry enough" for the job. If you don't turn up and hour early, leave an hour late and work through your lunch hour you are seen as "uncommitted".
Pretty bad
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guildford5 April 2019
Got paid next to nothing, spent about half of my salary on bus fares getting to and from work, not an exaggeration. Management was pretty bad, I didn't receive proper training, customers were surprisingly the most pleasant part of the job.
Pros
In work benefits
Cons
Unprofessional and bad pay
worst work place i have ever worked in
Kitchen Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Liverpool Street Station, Greater London30 March 2019
This is by far the worst company I have ever been employed by
I was attacked at work by a managing member of staff
and when I reacted by calling the police I was immediately dismissed
as the other members of staff were also threatened with being dismissed. I was ganged up on and silenced.
not a place I would recommend
Always Advertising for part time staff
Catering (Former Employee) –  Kettering29 March 2019
Kettering Pumpkin Cafe, just don't bother with this one, stay well clear. You are literally thrown in at the deep end, no training, just shown the basics, luckily l had experience and knew what to expect but to be told that on your third shift you will be on your own from 2pm and lock up, no way. Part time is full time, if you go for part time it's for a reason not because you don't want to work.
Company Don't care.
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear17 March 2019
I have worked for SSP for a while. The company dosent care about staff it's all about saving money. Your sent home if it's a quiet day so you loose money. You get a investigated if your sick even 2 to 3 times in a year even just a day at a time. If your late your investigated even if it's not your fault and a lot of other staff are late for same reason. If your till is down ypu dont know until your next shift and then have to explain why even when youve been off for a few days. I said i wanted to know when i went home but was told its the new system so like it or lump it.
They advertise that you can gain 50p to £1 extra per hour in bonuses but make the targets so un achievable you don't get it but the managers all get theirs every year. They get other benefits because of our hard work while we work 60 hrs a week in the summer but they barely work 40. You have to pay for your own transport to work when they want you in at 2am which costs me 20 in taxi fares then send you home at 9am cause it's quiet.
If you want a job where you work for no appreciation and are just a number and are told if you don't like it then leave then this is the job for you.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
a typical job with average management
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 March 2019
i worked for the company SSP when i was in my teen years and the best thing about the job was that management were able to give me days off and let me work when i needed to because i was studying at the time.
The hours were long and during rush hour there was added pressure but that was expected as i was working in a busy rail station.
the staff i worked with were lovely.
the rate of pay was minimum wage
Pros
free lunch
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSP. Our community is ready to answer.