SSE Pay & Benefits reviews

Norman-Leaf-ec1
Smart Metering (Current Employee) –  Eurocentral EC122 November 2018
After working with the company for several years I was completely shafted by management (Gman- Leafman and heisenberg-wee boab)

If you are not a member of the secret handshake club, then you can bet your poor salary on it that your days will be numbered.
If you are a hard-working loyal employee expect to put in years of hard graft only to be screwed over at every turn.
The management is that bad that the Tea boy of the office got promoted to manager without any interview or metering experience.
What chance do the engineers have if the management can’t even work a printer!!!
AVOID AVOID AVOID !!!!
Pros
Managers can get family into the company
Cons
Managment hold you back in progession
Great Place but some nasty downsides.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pontprennau/Old St. Mellons ED18 November 2018
The staff are great and many of the Management are approachable including the CSM's. Its good pay and a fun if an hard environment (paygo).

Downside is that Paygo (where most people start) is one of the hardest departments work wise but gets the same pay or less than other departments but generally does more work than other areas.

The shifts leave a lot to be desired with 10pm finishes in to 9am starts sometimes even 8am which means if you don't drive or live within 20 mins it may not be the job for you as you get 10/11 hours between shifts and then another 9 hours.

The canteen is a bit of a running joke with food served 7.45 - 10am and 11.45-14:00(and often mostly packed down 15-20 mins early) so terrible for anyone on a lunch that doesn't match the extremely limited hours and very expensive for an onsite canteen. You need to take your own food on weekends as no facilities bar 5 microwaves.
Pros
Staff, Management, Pay, Benefits
Cons
Bad shift patterns, Lack of on site facilities, Difficult to get a week off
Good Work Colleagues
Parts Team Advisor /Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Perth11 June 2018
The other employees and your work colleagues are generally a good bunch of people. The teams I have worked in have been a happy and engaging and the best people I have worked with. There is also good benefits and the wages are well above minimum wage even for the lowest paid workers.
I do believe higher management are a bit less connected with the people on the ground floor and some of the recent decisions have not been the best.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Disconnected higher management
Busy, sometimes stressful, sometimes really good fun
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire7 August 2018
There is a LOT of pressure and targets to meet. In a good team it can be great. If not..... then it is hard work. Can be mentally draining. Salary is good
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Too many petty rules - we are adults
Would not recommend!
Smart Meter Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wales5 December 2018
I worked at SSE for several years, and it just got worse every year!
Over 200 people worked out of or at my depot, and I don't know a single one that was actually happy, and people left on a regular basis!

They are utterly obsessed with health & safety to the extreme!
Some office examples....

No coats on back of chairs, might catch in wheels
no bins under desks, its a trip hazard
have to wear safety glasses to handle safety pins, glue or tippex
hanging xmas decs in the office is a 5 person job, 1 on the steps doing it, and 4 surrounding them in case they fall (all in high vis and safety specs)
cant carry coffee from a vending machine by hand, has to go on a tray in case any spills over the side & burns hands.
cant sit on the edge of someones desk to speak to them in case you slip off.

It goes on and on and on, new ones every month, and just when you think they have come out with the craziest rule yet, don't worry, next month they will easily trump it with something even more crazy!!

They are equally as obsessed with saving money.
Everything supplied was the cheapest they can get!
Tools snap & break weekly. Every tool is the cheapest imaginable, the vans were rubbish, the uniform is not suitable for the job.

The I.T. and computer system is from the ark, seriously it resembles Windows 3.1 and needed updating 30yrs ago.

The tablets for field staff are useless, and the system on them is a diabolical total pile of dung and totally not fit for purpose.

There are signs by the printers saying
"THINK! Did you REALLY need to print that out?? SAVE
  more... PAPER!"

There is a massive culture of bullying in management!
You are pressured and forced into working on, pressured to find a way to complete jobs that should be aborted, so they don't miss their targets!

Managers are constantly pitted against each other in league tables for performance & if your manager is at the bottom one month, look out.

Team managers are expected to work 10-12hr days for no extra pay, my manager was often in at 6am, and went home about 6pm, and then still worked from home on his laptop!

Managers will often get it in for a certain person who doesn't play ball or causes them headaches from above due to stats, and will then hunt and hunt and hound and watch that person until they finally have something to fire them for....

Colleagues were always out to drop you in it to further their own agenda, there is a "Brothers keeper" system which is basically sanctioned grassing on colleagues, disguised as looking out for each other!

You are constantly retro audited on your work and picked up on the slightest things like forgetting a sticker,...

They want people to volunteer to work away for a week at a time, but if enough don't volunteer, you are just told you are going anyway..

There is a bi-annual "Great place to work" survey, that often had bad results, which were generally just ignored and nothing is ever done about them by the higher management..

Couldn't wait to get out!!
Pros
Salary
Cons
Bullying management, H&S obsession, big brother culture!
Horrible company to work for
Meter Installer (Current Employee) –  Manchester10 March 2018
Attitude towards staff is a disgrace, vans tools etc very poor quality, travel distances between jobs is absolute madness. Contracted hours and shift pattern mean nothing. Management are oblivious to how badly they are running daily operations.. Such a shame that a brand like SSE is being run off the back of a cigarette packet at lower level
Pros
salary, but check the small print
Cons
everything from the toilets to the energy monitor
Good salary
Inbound CS Agent (Former Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire18 April 2018
Good salary for the type of work, however a lot is expected of you.

Targets are a must and management are supportive until you do something wrong.

OCD on health and safety.
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff8 February 2018
Enjoyed 16 years at SSE, great salary offered and opportunities to move side ways or upwards are always on offer. Felt like part of a family and would definitely consider returning if the opportunities arise where I am living now
Horrible place to work!!!
Call Centre Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff29 December 2017
This is the worst place to work!!!
Do not be deceived by salary... management is a bunch of snakes put together.
I regret ever having any business with this company!!!
Pros
Cons
Long hours, sneaky colleagues, hypocrisy in policies, horrible place!
Sitel is ok to work at
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear30 July 2018
Management is ok, depending on who’s team your on at Sitel (based in Newcastle), very stressful environment to be in. Management tells you one thing where as your getting told a different thing next. Wage is good however £8.75 an hour. Don’t really get much from management unless your one of the favourites
Pros
Wage £8.75
Cons
One rule for one and a different rule for another
Good/Fair place to work
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire1 September 2018
Good working culture although the way performance is reviewed is not always fair. Good family atmosphere, good wages. The job can be difficult and departments don't always work together to resolve issues - can be difficult to get help from other areas of the business.
Pros
good wages
Cons
Shifts are a bit all over the place - consistency can be difficult
Challenging
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire9 July 2017
Being part of the customer service sector the expected challenges arise. Dealing with customers queries and complaints is always eventful and challenging due to their variety and complexity. More often than not the support from your fellow colleagues/team, managers and other departments is there to help you through it.
The sickness policy and support can be frustrating due to it's invasive and persistence but the chances to progress are available. Competition is fierce for any new job roles and you will need to be proactive and motivated to differentiate yourself from the other candidates.
Pros
Good Wages, Benefits and corporate perks, chances for progression
Cons
Long varied hours when in customer service, sickness policy, micro management, stress
Good place to work, alot of benefits
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Perth24 November 2017
I enjoyed working at SSE, alot of employee benefits and a great starting salary, managment was not always the best but for the most part it was fine, everybody got on and work was completed efficiently and stress free
Pros
Discounts from Hydro shops
Cons
Difficult to get holidays
Good company and management
Heating Engineer (Current Employee) –  Midlands13 March 2017
Lots of negative reviews on here, thought I'd write a positive review.

Good company to work for with great benefits, good flexible shift patterns, good holidays, great pension scheme and share save options.

All management are fair, approachable , and understand the requirements of the engineers and our customers

There are opportunities to earn more money with standby shifts and also generating boilers leads which is fantastic.

Some of the reviews posted on here are from disgruntled ex employees.

Summer rota is brillant with loads of rest days !!

Definitely recommend anyone to work at SSE, good sustainable company
Pros
Fair salary for role, summer rota's, good team work ethic
Customer service
Customer Service Advisor (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow16 July 2018
The days are long and stressful, there is very little help around when needed, some people are unapproachable. Your team mates keep you going and you are well paid.
Pros
Well paid
Cons
Everything else
Great place for a career and development
Gas Tech engineer (Current Employee) –  Wales12 December 2016
I've been here 7 years as a technical engineer and have really enjoyed the opportunity to be part of a hard working team. The shifts are fantastic loads of time off in the summer and you work a bit harder in winter when customer demand is at most. Plenty of chances to make money if your a good technician as there are bonus schemes and free money every month for being polite to your customers. There are a lot of safety briefs and procedures just like anywhere else that's a big company to protect both you and the customer. There are some negative reviews on here which are childish and not true so don't be put off by them. The managers are fine and always help when you need it most. There's loads of benefits like holidays paid sickness and flexible shifts if you ask.
Pros
Great pay and benefits with bonus available
Challenging but rewarding
Tech engineer (Current Employee) –  Wales12 December 2016
I'll he honest... SEE are a proud company and they demand the best.

I like working here because I'm praised when I achieve and I'm always looking to do more.

Management are approachable and are always looking for the edge. Teamwork is key... but we all enjoy a little competition.

What I do know, is that I'm not just another engineer I'm respected and valued. My opinions are taken on board and I'm always given encouraging feedback.
Pros
Teamwork, sharesave, uniform, van, tools, support
Cons
Longer hours in winter
Productive Fast Pace Environment
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, ENG23 May 2014
On a day to day basis at work, my main role is dealing with general enquiries customers may have. Within the role, I deal with any customer queries on the telephone at the same time as using numerous computer systems and liaising with other departments. I have developed my customer service whilst in the role and it has thoroughly improved my ability to solve problems and come up with solutions quickly in a fast pace environment. Overall I am looking for a change of career as I would like somewhere I can be developed and given more responsibility.
Pros
Company Benefits
Busy professional environment
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Havant, ENG23 November 2015
In a day at SSE's Havant call centre you will answer on average 6/7 calls per hour and give stellar customer service to everyone you speak to. It is a very target focused role and management go through a great deal of effort to keep staff motivated to hit targets. It's not a role for the faint of heart as it is incredibly challenging, but so rewarding if you can keep up!
Pros
on site gym, amazing salary.
Cons
very large company, much of the personal touch is lost.
Soul Destroying.
Groundstaff (Former Employee) –  South18 June 2015
On paper working for SSE sounds magical and too good to be true! Good rates of pay, company benfits etc. However the reality is somewhat different. I've never worked for such a bad mananged, bullying, and clueless company. Promised all sorts of wonderful training, benfits, and fast progression - nothing materialised.
The accounts team got my pay wrong on several occaisions and rectifying the situation took weeks and months with no one accepting responsibility.
You are treated badly and rudely with management looking down their nose at you and barking orders and even if you exceed expectations there is no recognition or praise but instead you get told how you still could have done better.
The amount of hours you are expected to work are a joke with early starts and late finishes meaning the impact on home life and any hobbies you have outside of work being strongly affected, putting strain on relationships and family.
Admin and records are kept in a very backwards and time consuming way. The company isn't modernised and need a good administerative and mangerial shake up.

I left SSE depressed, broken and uninspired.
Pros
Basic Salary
Cons
Hours, Management, Administration Processes, Accounts Errors, Expectations of staff.