SSE Employee Reviews

Bored of doing reviews
Customer Service Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Havant16 February 2018
Like at this point I'm just bored of doing these stupid non-optional reviews. If you want to work for SEE then do it, who am I to tell you otherwise...
Awful place to work unless your face fits
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Dorset15 February 2018
Very two faced people, no opportunity for overtime, pay isnt to current rates, bring up problems and get told to shut up and be quiet. To much health and safety red tape, management want all paperwork carried out but also want the job done, no job progression if anything goes wrong then management interigate you and try to throw you under the bus unless you can cover yourself with your risk assements or with evidence. Soul destroying place to work causes metal health issues then turn round to you and say your not aloud an appointment with occupational health to talk to them about your problems without talking to HR first but theres no contact details for HR.
Pros
Paid training
Cons
Order PPE or equipment and get told where to go by stores and management.
Worst 7 years of my life
Service only engineer (Former Employee) –  South wales11 February 2018
Worked for this shower for 7 years and was promised promotion from a service only engineer to a technical engineer. Completely unrealistic targets ment I was never going to get there but it didn’t stop them dishing me out the breakdown work anyway, so I basically did the role of a technical engineer but never got paid the extra for doing so.
I found this a totally demoralising situation which gave me the drive i needed to get out and work for a smaller company who value my skills and treat me not as just a number but a person aswell.
Horrible over the top safety culture ment long boring meetings and nothing about actually fixing boilers.
I could go on all day about this company but judging by the rest of the reviews on here I think you probably get the picture.
So to sum up this review
Just no
Pros
Days off in summer
Cons
Bullying management, unrealistic targets, no paid overtime, pressure, stress
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff8 February 2018
Enjoyed 16 years at SSE, great salary offered and opportunities to move side ways or upwards are always on offer. Felt like part of a family and would definitely consider returning if the opportunities arise where I am living now
no opportunity for part time
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire6 February 2018
I feel that my company opportunity has come to an end and I think I need to find something closer to home.. I have worked here for many years and when I became part time I was offered less opportunity for progression
Cons
no parking days on place
It was a fun but serious workplace
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Gate5 February 2018
SSE was a good place to get to grips with computer system and the running of the departments I worked in but I was looking for something more with a better work life ratio
Pros
only up the road from where i lived
Cons
shifts were not always good
Pitiful
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross31 January 2018
Terrible place to work, you are nailed to a desk answering call after call and you get a talking to from your manager if the call takes too long even if it is a pensioner asking lots of questions or a vulnerable person with a mental illness. Manager never there to support and forget about asking managers any questions because they don't know the answers, instead they ask one of the coaches.
There are no where near enough coaches either so support is sparse. Targets are unachievable and so constantly reviewed. Managers only care about their own targets.
Shifts are long and boring with a one hour break for lunch. On a six hour shift there is no break at all!. You are allowed 15 minutes per shift for toilet breaks but you are constantly reminded that 15 minutes is maximum so if say one shift you go to the toilet a few times and you use 12 minutes you will be told to cut it down.
Lots of back stabbing. The hardest part of the job is being there and the best part of the job is days off.
Pros
Nice breakfast available in the canteen every morning except Saturday's.
Cons
The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing
Sub contractor
Plumbing and Heating Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire29 January 2018
They claim i forged a timesheet. All timesheets are checked at the time of invoice. The agency working on behalf was interactions. They made a mistake somewhere and i am supposed to pay.
worst job I have had
Smart meter installer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 January 2018
Company has a good image first week working here I wanted to leave Manchester depot sse managers don't have a clue about the job and safety I don't know how their still working their. Job times and work load is unachievable. Regional manager doesnt have a clue no experience or skill and looks down on people not professional. If you what to be treated like a child this is the company to work for! They say if it's not safe we don't do it but get told to do it !
Pros
Money's good
Cons
Stress and pressure from management
Customer service Havant
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Havant20 January 2018
You need to be tough and play their game or you will sink and fail. Management so poor and are puppets even CSM'S have no say. Totally inflexible in all areas. Non stop and all you get is criticism and warnings. No positives. Tough to get a pay rise they make it impossible. Reasonable pay. No parking. Holiday difficult to even get a whole week off. Pathetic culture
Pros
Cons
Too many by far you name it
Soul destroying
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Havant12 January 2018
The worst job I’ve ever had. The job is all about selling, not customer service as advertised. They say treat customers like family, that’s ok as long as you are not on the call longer than 11 minutes and that includes dealing with the enquiry, typing up notes on the ancient computer system and selling broadband, boiler cover or wiring cover. The managers/brainwashed tell you it’s not selling but offering to save the customers money. Its selling. There is 6 weeks of training which is the best bit, and the only time you will get to talk to anyone other than customers on the phone. Once you get in the call centre the true horror begins. Managers disappear throughout the shift attending various meetings to pat each other on the back for the sales of aforementioned broadband etc made by their team. When not in meetings they stand around chatting to other managers. The health and safety policy is well OTT, adults can’t be trusted to use the stairs without holding the handrail, if you forget you will be challenged. The only thing worse than the H&S is their sickness policy, they want people to attend work no matter what is wrong with them. 2 bouts of sickness and they will sack you, the reason for sickness is irrelevant. You cannot leave ur desk unless it’s a very quick trip to the toilet, you are sat at the desk with call after call, it’s relentless.
Pros
Pay not bad
Cons
Managers not allowed to manage. They lack people skills and are mostly incompetent
Good job
Smart Meter Engineer (Current Employee) –  Northwest england3 January 2018
Although certain management are not the best to work with.
The overall job isn't bad.
The planning could be better but as long as you get your head down and work your are never forced to do work which is impossible to do.
Safety is paramount which can be a pain sometimes ultimately its to protect you.
Good holidays, uniform, tools and training.
Good Job
Pros
Training
Cons
Some Management but not all.
Horrible place to work!!!
Call Centre Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff29 December 2017
This is the worst place to work!!!
Do not be deceived by salary... management is a bunch of snakes put together.
I regret ever having any business with this company!!!
Pros
Cons
Long hours, sneaky colleagues, hypocrisy in policies, horrible place!
Making Money is more important than Customer service
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff6 December 2017
Customer's are not at their heart.
Cash is.
Targets are unrealistic and difficult to hit.
Training will provide information about how important a customer's well being is, but in reality. Taking money from a struggling Customer is all they acre about.
Pros
Good Wage
Cons
Unreliable. Two days notice to department Closure.
Good place to work, alot of benefits
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Perth24 November 2017
I enjoyed working at SSE, alot of employee benefits and a great starting salary, managment was not always the best but for the most part it was fine, everybody got on and work was completed efficiently and stress free
Pros
Discounts from Hydro shops
Cons
Difficult to get holidays
Manager never there
Sales (Former Employee) –  Perth24 November 2017
Manager never there. Feel like a robot and undervalued. Full of broken promises for advancement. If you like sitting in a chair all day and not speaking to others because you are over worked then this is the place.
not a place to work if you like stibility
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire23 November 2017
sse are a company that state they care for employers but they don't show it. changing shift patterns and not giving you any real notice. also putting extreme pressure on employee regarding targets and expectation.
Pros
work colluegues
Cons
unfair treatment for colluegues
Did not enjoy the working culture
Connections Engineer (Former Employee) –  london20 November 2017
Closed knit depots filled with family members of 4/5 families. If you re not apart of this click your experience is terrible. Poor training and a lack of engineering integrity.
Gas Engineer Perth Do Not Work For This Company
Gas Engineer (Current Employee) –  Perth and Kinross14 November 2017
Do Not Work For This Company.

Good wage.

Systems poor.

Management a complete joke.

No thought for us engineers who have kids.

A lot of them think they run the place and need the bullet.

Ive only been here a short period but i have had enough now.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Management, systems, targets, colleagues, some office staff
Fun Workplace
SSE customer service advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Gate7 November 2017
A typical day was answering the telephone to unhappy customer or customers that need help financially. I learnt a lot at this job how to stay patient with people and how to sort gas and electric out for people when it is not working. i love helping customers to the best i can and took time to listen to what they had to say. the workplace was a fun environment. The hardest part of this job is when you are trying your hardest and your hardest is not good enough for them. Also when your trying to help a customer but they are screaming and being abusive on the phone but you job got to stay calm and keep your cool. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers and making them happy. I know at times we couldn't do anything to help but when we could it made it satisfying.Also we had fun in work with competitions and quiz.
Pros
fun

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9