SSE Employee Reviews

New starters nightmare scenario
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire20 November 2018
My last reference from previous employer read "She is a gregarious, personable employee that excels in what she does" - well that is so laughable now, I have forgotten who that person is after starting at SSE. As a company it has so much potential but falls flat with new staff members; It was supposed to be a 4 week classroom based training - NOT. After exactly 7 days from the start we were hit with 2 hour long exams to see how much we had learnt!! The training is so full on and the only word that keeps coming to mind is OVERWHELMING. We had so much thrown at us and very little time to practice computer based and then told after 2 weeks we would be in our departments with a buddy, a one to one work based partner where we could learn on the job - NOT. We got deployed to our various departments who were not equipped or ready to take us, so we were distributed where there was a spare desk and basically left to our own devices. As soon as we are shown one thing, we are not given any time to get confident with that, then it's on to the next and so on. The environment itself is absolutely huge but it is very easy to feel totally isolated and alone. Yes there are some lovely people there in truth and they try their best to help and teach and it could be a lovely place to work, but again that same word comes to mind - it is all so overwhelming. Not having worked in a call centre environment before I have found it difficult to adjust to staring at a computer screen all day with no breaks other than dinner or a quick toilet break but that's it. I am used to being able to leave  more... my chair, go to other departments for work related issues and just having a general chat, but I feel like a robot with no contact with the outside world. As a person I know I have lost all my confidence because it is a struggle to remember everything, so the person once described is no more. I would like to regain that person but that comes with confidence in my abilities and that is sadly lacking and I wonder if it will break me and I decide the job is not worth all the stress related with it. I would like to think not as already mentioned, the people are lovely, the money not bad, the hours ok and not too far from where I live so it has a lot going for it, it's just the pace in which we are supposed to learn and work.  less
Pros
Hours, money, locality, nice people
Cons
Overwhelming
Great Place but some nasty downsides.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pontprennau/Old St. Mellons ED18 November 2018
The staff are great and many of the Management are approachable including the CSM's. Its good pay and a fun if an hard environment (paygo).

Downside is that Paygo (where most people start) is one of the hardest departments work wise but gets the same pay or less than other departments but generally does more work than other areas.

The shifts leave a lot to be desired with 10pm finishes in to 9am starts sometimes even 8am which means if you don't drive or live within 20 mins it may not be the job for you as you get 10/11 hours between shifts and then another 9 hours.

The canteen is a bit of a running joke with food served 7.45 - 10am and 11.45-14:00(and often mostly packed down 15-20 mins early) so terrible for anyone on a lunch that doesn't match the extremely limited hours and very expensive for an onsite canteen. You need to take your own food on weekends as no facilities bar 5 microwaves.
Pros
Staff, Management, Pay, Benefits
Cons
Bad shift patterns, Lack of on site facilities, Difficult to get a week off
Changing times
Performance & Reporting Specialist Manager (Current Employee) –  Havant4 September 2018
SSE has been a great company to work for. They have been genuine in wanting and trying to do the best for employees and customers.

Opportunities have been available to those who work hard and smart.

More recently, business challenges have meant a change in the environment but I sincerely hope that SSE and its employees regain everything that made it a good place to work.
Curry on a Thursday
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Havant3 September 2018
If you enjoy not being able to park, 15 mins of unpaid overtime every day, using a pre historic computer system, difficulty booking time off, working on Saturdays, traffic jams at home time, extremely poor management, angry customers and a zero tolerance on sickness, then this is the job for you!
Pros
Curry on a Thursday
Cons
Everything apart from the curry
Good/Fair place to work
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire1 September 2018
Good working culture although the way performance is reviewed is not always fair. Good family atmosphere, good wages. The job can be difficult and departments don't always work together to resolve issues - can be difficult to get help from other areas of the business.
Pros
good wages
Cons
Shifts are a bit all over the place - consistency can be difficult
Daily tasks
Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth30 August 2018
My daily responsibilities where handling customer inquiries, complaints, billing questions and payment extension/service requests & answering product and service questions; suggesting information about other products and services with potential/existing customers
Great workplace
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross29 August 2018
Full of fun and kind characters, great place to make friends. My manager was possibly the greatest upside considering his compassion. A job for those who can brave verbal abuse.
Loyalty what Loyalty?
CSR (Former Employee) –  Penner Road23 August 2018
Worked for the company for over 14 years was a hard working loyal employee. In this time I saw the company change from a caring and being supportive to customers , and customers come first, to just answer the calls in the least amount of time possible.

Its all stats,targets, performance driven there is no customer comes first anymore and the staff are treated as just a number.

I personally felt let down by the company i gave so much time to and when I was put back to my original job that I started my carrer with at SSE I then decided it was time for me to go.

I can honestly say I have never looked back and leaving was the best decision I have ever made.

If you dont mind being treated like a robot and Management constantly moaning at you over stats then this is the perfect job for you.

However if you have a caring nature and like customer service, helping people then this is definetly not the job for you.
Pros
Money is good
Cons
Booking time off, Mental health awareness and Supporting staff
Not writing a review
Customer Service Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hampshire21 August 2018
Not writing a review about my trime here, go away indeed with your character limit forcing bs. no no no hahaha, not writing any more...really? more? done
Pros
cba
Cons
cba
Busy, sometimes stressful, sometimes really good fun
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire7 August 2018
There is a LOT of pressure and targets to meet. In a good team it can be great. If not..... then it is hard work. Can be mentally draining. Salary is good
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Too many petty rules - we are adults
Don't waste your time
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff6 August 2018
Worse job I've ever had. Bullies and no respect for you or anyone else no support when you need it I was forced to work past my shift unpaid awful company I left mid shift to bring abused by staff in front of mangers who did nothing
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Everything about this awful job
Sitel is ok to work at
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear30 July 2018
Management is ok, depending on who’s team your on at Sitel (based in Newcastle), very stressful environment to be in. Management tells you one thing where as your getting told a different thing next. Wage is good however £8.75 an hour. Don’t really get much from management unless your one of the favourites
Pros
Wage £8.75
Cons
One rule for one and a different rule for another
Customer service
Customer Service Advisor (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow16 July 2018
The days are long and stressful, there is very little help around when needed, some people are unapproachable. Your team mates keep you going and you are well paid.
Pros
Well paid
Cons
Everything else
Warrant Officer (Current Employee) –  Basildon10 July 2018
The hardest part is going to people’s homes at a very vulnerable time.
Getting a resolution with a customer and helping them get it organised.
Having people around you that have your back no matter what.
Horrendous
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 July 2018
Management are horrendous, treat you like robots, scripted calls, no compassion to lower ranked staff, not enough support. Do not work here. You’ll regret it
Pros
Pay
Cons
Too many to list
Good Work Colleagues
Parts Team Advisor /Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Perth11 June 2018
The other employees and your work colleagues are generally a good bunch of people. The teams I have worked in have been a happy and engaging and the best people I have worked with. There is also good benefits and the wages are well above minimum wage even for the lowest paid workers.
I do believe higher management are a bit less connected with the people on the ground floor and some of the recent decisions have not been the best.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Disconnected higher management
Good work life ballance but frustrating
BI Analyst (Current Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire11 May 2018
Good work life balance and great team members.

Frustrating ways of working in some teams.

Where i am there is little to no career progression which is why i am now looking for new employment
Lots of possibilities.
Sales and Retentions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff6 May 2018
I worked at SSE from September 2017-2018 and it was a great place for my first job, clean work environment and great people! Job can get tedious but there is plenty of progression.
productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth29 April 2018
An amazing company to work with. they are extremely supportive. they were very kind and considerate to all. treat you with respect and like an adult. the most enjoyable part of the job was the people you meet. everyone is so kind
Pros
amazing people
Good salary
Inbound CS Agent (Former Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire18 April 2018
Good salary for the type of work, however a lot is expected of you.

Targets are a must and management are supportive until you do something wrong.

OCD on health and safety.