SSE Employee Reviews

Good Work Colleagues
Parts Team Advisor /Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Perth11 June 2018
The other employees and your work colleagues are generally a good bunch of people. The teams I have worked in have been a happy and engaging and the best people I have worked with. There is also good benefits and the wages are well above minimum wage even for the lowest paid workers.
I do believe higher management are a bit less connected with the people on the ground floor and some of the recent decisions have not been the best.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Disconnected higher management
Good work life ballance but frustrating
BI Analyst (Current Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire11 May 2018
Good work life balance and great team members.

Frustrating ways of working in some teams.

Where i am there is little to no career progression which is why i am now looking for new employment
Lots of possibilities.
Sales and Retentions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff6 May 2018
I worked at SSE from September 2017-2018 and it was a great place for my first job, clean work environment and great people! Job can get tedious but there is plenty of progression.
productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth29 April 2018
An amazing company to work with. they are extremely supportive. they were very kind and considerate to all. treat you with respect and like an adult. the most enjoyable part of the job was the people you meet. everyone is so kind
Pros
amazing people
Cons
Not people friendly at all
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire17 April 2018
Lost my job here whilst on probation for being genuinely ill for 2 days! My 1 year old child was also ill at the same time but they couldnt care less. Took ages to get a start date then was dismissed within 5 months. Place is a shambles.
Living Nightmare...
Smart Meter Engineer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester11 April 2018
Manchester depot is an absolute shambles. Run by dictators who don’t have a clue of the real world. Like other reviewers have mentioned, unachievable targets, constant nagging, constant audits, and no appreciation at all. Terrible vans, tools and uniform. The Manchester depot regional manager is desperately trying to climb the ranks within SSE and in the process screwing everyone else over in the process. Other manager underneath him are dictating puppets.
I’ve had many jobs in my lifetime but this one clearly takes the biscuit.
Shame SSE management higher up don’t read the reviews and make a change.
If you want to sleep peacefully, avoid working at this depot.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Everything besides
Sales and retentions Executive
Sales and retentions executive (Former Employee) –  Cardiff21 March 2018
Really good work culture and environment. Amazing training scheme and provide great opportunities to excel within the company. Really nice people and management.
There's better
CSA (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff20 March 2018
Company run by a middle management that lacked professionalism and employee handling skills. Overall job content varied and in some cases chanllenging.
Horrible company to work for
Meter Installer (Current Employee) –  Manchester10 March 2018
Attitude towards staff is a disgrace, vans tools etc very poor quality, travel distances between jobs is absolute madness. Contracted hours and shift pattern mean nothing. Management are oblivious to how badly they are running daily operations.. Such a shame that a brand like SSE is being run off the back of a cigarette packet at lower level
Pros
salary, but check the small print
Cons
everything from the toilets to the energy monitor
Good money thats about it
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire7 March 2018
This company pays well for what you do, but that's where the good ends. Managers act loke they are there for you bit ultimately it's the business they care about
They are more than happy to sweep you under the rug but then when they need you wonder why they get nothing from staff. Good if you need the money but otherwise avoid.
Pros
Money
Cons
Stress, no appreciation
Awful place to work unless your face fits
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Dorset15 February 2018
Very two faced people, no opportunity for overtime, pay isnt to current rates, bring up problems and get told to shut up and be quiet. To much health and safety red tape, management want all paperwork carried out but also want the job done, no job progression if anything goes wrong then management interigate you and try to throw you under the bus unless you can cover yourself with your risk assements or with evidence. Soul destroying place to work causes metal health issues then turn round to you and say your not aloud an appointment with occupational health to talk to them about your problems without talking to HR first but theres no contact details for HR.
Pros
Paid training
Cons
Order PPE or equipment and get told where to go by stores and management.
Worst 7 years of my life
Service only engineer (Former Employee) –  South wales11 February 2018
Worked for this shower for 7 years and was promised promotion from a service only engineer to a technical engineer. Completely unrealistic targets ment I was never going to get there but it didn’t stop them dishing me out the breakdown work anyway, so I basically did the role of a technical engineer but never got paid the extra for doing so.
I found this a totally demoralising situation which gave me the drive i needed to get out and work for a smaller company who value my skills and treat me not as just a number but a person aswell.
Horrible over the top safety culture ment long boring meetings and nothing about actually fixing boilers.
I could go on all day about this company but judging by the rest of the reviews on here I think you probably get the picture.
So to sum up this review
Just no
Pros
Days off in summer
Cons
Bullying management, unrealistic targets, no paid overtime, pressure, stress
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff8 February 2018
Enjoyed 16 years at SSE, great salary offered and opportunities to move side ways or upwards are always on offer. Felt like part of a family and would definitely consider returning if the opportunities arise where I am living now
no opportunity for part time
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire6 February 2018
I feel that my company opportunity has come to an end and I think I need to find something closer to home.. I have worked here for many years and when I became part time I was offered less opportunity for progression
Cons
no parking days on place
It was a fun but serious workplace
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Gate5 February 2018
SSE was a good place to get to grips with computer system and the running of the departments I worked in but I was looking for something more with a better work life ratio
Pros
only up the road from where i lived
Cons
shifts were not always good
Pitiful
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross31 January 2018
Terrible place to work, you are nailed to a desk answering call after call and you get a talking to from your manager if the call takes too long even if it is a pensioner asking lots of questions or a vulnerable person with a mental illness. Manager never there to support and forget about asking managers any questions because they don't know the answers, instead they ask one of the coaches.
There are no where near enough coaches either so support is sparse. Targets are unachievable and so constantly reviewed. Managers only care about their own targets.
Shifts are long and boring with a one hour break for lunch. On a six hour shift there is no break at all!. You are allowed 15 minutes per shift for toilet breaks but you are constantly reminded that 15 minutes is maximum so if say one shift you go to the toilet a few times and you use 12 minutes you will be told to cut it down.
Lots of back stabbing. The hardest part of the job is being there and the best part of the job is days off.
Pros
Nice breakfast available in the canteen every morning except Saturday's.
Cons
The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing
Sub contractor
Plumbing and Heating Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire29 January 2018
They claim i forged a timesheet. All timesheets are checked at the time of invoice. The agency working on behalf was interactions. They made a mistake somewhere and i am supposed to pay.
worst job I have had
Smart meter installer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 January 2018
Company has a good image first week working here I wanted to leave Manchester depot sse managers don't have a clue about the job and safety I don't know how their still working their. Job times and work load is unachievable. Regional manager doesnt have a clue no experience or skill and looks down on people not professional. If you what to be treated like a child this is the company to work for! They say if it's not safe we don't do it but get told to do it !
Pros
Money's good
Cons
Stress and pressure from management
Customer service Havant
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Havant20 January 2018
You need to be tough and play their game or you will sink and fail. Management so poor and are puppets even CSM'S have no say. Totally inflexible in all areas. Non stop and all you get is criticism and warnings. No positives. Tough to get a pay rise they make it impossible. Reasonable pay. No parking. Holiday difficult to even get a whole week off. Pathetic culture
Pros
Cons
Too many by far you name it
Soul destroying
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Havant12 January 2018
The worst job I’ve ever had. The job is all about selling, not customer service as advertised. They say treat customers like family, that’s ok as long as you are not on the call longer than 11 minutes and that includes dealing with the enquiry, typing up notes on the ancient computer system and selling broadband, boiler cover or wiring cover. The managers/brainwashed tell you it’s not selling but offering to save the customers money. Its selling. There is 6 weeks of training which is the best bit, and the only time you will get to talk to anyone other than customers on the phone. Once you get in the call centre the true horror begins. Managers disappear throughout the shift attending various meetings to pat each other on the back for the sales of aforementioned broadband etc made by their team. When not in meetings they stand around chatting to other managers. The health and safety policy is well OTT, adults can’t be trusted to use the stairs without holding the handrail, if you forget you will be challenged. The only thing worse than the H&S is their sickness policy, they want people to attend work no matter what is wrong with them. 2 bouts of sickness and they will sack you, the reason for sickness is irrelevant. You cannot leave ur desk unless it’s a very quick trip to the toilet, you are sat at the desk with call after call, it’s relentless.
Pros
Pay not bad
Cons
Managers not allowed to manage. They lack people skills and are mostly incompetent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9