SSE PLC Employee Reviews

Not open to change, poor people management
HR (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth27 March 2019
I worked with the HR department & was really disappointed with the way employees are managed within SSE.

It has a very parent-child structure & because everyone has worked there for 10+ years, it seems to be the norm. This is also evident in the OTT health & safety methods. Operative/field staff in particular are treated unfairly & the supervisors dont get management training so don't actually know how to manage staff.

High sickness due to poor employee engagement, poor attrition rates, high employee relations issues , inconsistency in applying policies & unattainable workloads/objectives.

Would not recommend this as an innovative or good employer to work for.
Pros
Working from home facilities
Cons
Leadership, vision, management, workload
high standard job required
cable jointer (Current Employee) –  Southampton21 February 2019
For the last three years i have been working on service alterations with in the company . Having to work and talk to customers and to understand the problems they have. The management i work with are very helpful.the work place culture is of a very high standard.The paper work could be better.
A Supportive company
Customer Service Adviser (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Havant2 November 2018
A typical call center mentality based around lead generation and customer service.
the customer service and training is exemplary however the culture can come across a bit negative and unprofessional at times
I like to work there
Connections and Engineering Advisior (Current Employee) –  Havant27 October 2018
When I first started I was not to sure, but after a while it turned up that it's company worth working for. They do care about employee and tries to help when they can.
Challenging & Pressured Sales
Cardiff Energy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff18 October 2018
A typical day at work involves selling energy tariffs as well as cross selling any sub services, the company offers. As part of a regulated market by OFGEM you are closely monitored, regarding the calls & targeted upon sales you make.
Pros
salary increase of sales OTE & share options
Cons
OTE can be take away if targets not met or targets change.
Hard place to work
Customer service adviser (Former Employee) –  Glasgow11 September 2018
I felt that I was constantly trying to better myself whilst working here and all I was getting told was that I was doing it wrong. I had some coaching from a brilliant team however it only lasted so long and from there I was on my own.
Pros
Good canteen, good salary
Cons
Hours change reguarly
Supportive management team
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Reading18 August 2018
Great place to work, with excellent benefits. A typical day is busy but you are fully supported at all levels. I have leaned how to prioritise my work, with different challenges each day.
Pros
Benefits, Salary and Office environment
Cons
pending merger
Great people and a positive workplace culture
Environment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hampshire16 August 2018
The days go quickly, the work is interesting and varied.
The company offers good benefits such as share plans, pension, holidays and affiliations with 3rd party companies.
Good
Area Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport6 July 2018
Good place to work. Good perks. Poor use of technology. Some disparity in wages. Safety focused culture. Productivity driven. Good people, lots of training & development opportunities
New rules added weekly
Smart Meter Engineer (Current Employee) –  Liverpool10 May 2018
Bad management and work place bullying if face does not fit you know about it horrible regional manager works like a army/mafia mentality coaches less experienced then engineers.
Pros
3 day weekend
Cons
Treated badly
Tied to the desk
Inbound justomer service (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff9 April 2018
You are virtually tied to the desk by your headset. You have to take a certain amount of calls to keep your percentage up which affects your pay. Too many hours, not enough breaks, only a lunch break. All about KPI's and targets. I felt like I was in school and had to put my hand up to ask if I could use the toilet
Pros
Pretty good wage
Cons
Too long hours
Good Workplace
Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow13 March 2018
Good Workplace, good shift pattern, staff were friendly and happy to help hardest part of the job I found was getting used to all the different systems
Nice company poor middle management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire13 March 2018
Although SSE is a decent place to work with lots of nice people they do have a problem with middle management. A number of middle managers are not suitable for management positions as they have a poor understanding of basic management principles, including how to motivate their teams.

They need to recruit more managers externally to challenge embedded SSE mindset.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Poor middle management
Reputable company
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Reading7 March 2018
Everyday is different , working with different departments, working to deadlines and targets , lots of tasks to fulfill , people working there are all friendly
Pros
Flexible working
Culture of fear
Performance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire6 February 2018
Toxic culture that lacks diversity. Internal politics without a defined structure of skill development potential. Clueless senior management team. Extremely siloed environment.
Great Place to Work
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire13 December 2017
Working for SSE was a very enjoyable experience, their setup and processes for running projects was very consistent and well managed. They offer good benefits and look after their employees.
Pros
Flexible, good packages, good benefits
Was Best place to work
Sr. Oracle HRMS Consultant (Former Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire3 November 2017
Due to some personal commitments and issues, I had to leave SSE.

. Workplace culture was very friendly and open.
. I have learned lot in SSE
. Very transparent management

I would not have come out from SSE.

Regards
Pros
Best place to work
Cons
Commutable
Busy, engaging, fun
Lean Academy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire20 October 2017
No two days are the same. They are a friendly company, and believe we should treat our customers as family. The hardest part of the job was ensuring the Directors calendar as doable, the most enjoyable was at the end of the day the director attended all his meetings on time, and well prepared
Pros
perks, flexible working
Cons
hot desking
Customer Service Roles
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Havant2 October 2017
If you have no dreams, goals, or aspirations in life and just need a good wage, stability, and something to get you by, SSE is perfect. The reason customers get in touch is because something's wrong, or at least they think there is, and it's your job to make them feel important, valid, and not dim witted.
Pros
Good pay, cheap cinema tickets, advanced rotas
Cons
Soul destroying, mentally draining, prehistoric ways of working, uninspiring, dull
Good wage...
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff15 September 2017
A good place to work, great salary... just very reactive. Never plans ahead! Treat customers like family....treat staff like....! Safest place to work... you get more freedom as a primary school child running around a class room!
Pros
Wages.
Cons
Hours, parking, lunch.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSE PLC. Our community is ready to answer.