SSE PLC
Here to help
Coronavirus update

SSE PLC Employee Reviews

United Kingdom311 reviews
I temped there a couple of times. I don't know what their salaries are like. The people are nice. The workload is pretty high but not unmanageable. I woukd recommend it.
Pros
nice colleagues
Cons
None that i encountered
Management are horrendous no people/management skills they lie constantly and cover each other’s backs! Will never own up to their mistakes and if your face doesn’t fit your going nowhere! Its all about the pals act! Job can be very draining customers are difficult to deal with and no matter what happens Management advise the customer is always right! Please stay away!
Pros
Work colleagues
Cons
Small minded management with no relevant skills
Did not enjoy my time here at all. Fine if you are not wanting to advance your career, right f you do be prepared to stab every single person you know in the back and turn into a complete “yes” man for management.
I worked for SSE in London through an employment agency, full-time hours, meter reading. Friendly management, good hourly rates, overtime available, generous bonus scheme.
Pros
Wages, bonus scheme, friendly supportive management
Cons
Out in all weathers
Expect redundancy as new call centre abroad.. Late shifts till 8pm, could be later depending on call. Very stressful, target driven, you must hit your stats or you get a series of warnings..
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Expect to give every ounce and probably still not succeed.
Badly managed, difficult to progress within the company unless your friends with people in higher positions, people with no real clue get jobs Purley based on the fact that their pal is a CSM.
Pros
Good Banter
Cons
Bad Management, lack of career progression for front line staff, ludicrously expensive canteen, awful sickness policy. Weasel faced Golem like CEO who ruined the company
Job was ok plenty of training van and equipment supplied however management was very poor the work was a mixture of good areas and bad areas the managers had their favourite s and constantly gave certain readers all the good work so they earned a better bonus which was unfair Complaints to senior management were simply ignored or brushed over
Pros
Wage benefits was ok
Cons
Flexible working hours
Good honest people with a helpful friendly management structure good safety and compliance ethos and a good yearly appraisal system Good work life balance
Pros
Atmosphere
Dealing with customer enquires regarding Gas and electric bills. Customer complaints with in the world of smart meters. Very fast paced and very stats driven to deliver a world class service
Pros
Great pension scheme
Cons
Shift patterns
I worked at SSE for 12 years, was a manager for 8. A very challenging but fun place to work, with a strong work culture. Great management teams and a great work life balance
Great place to work. SSE have always cared about their staff and invested in them according. Due to a recent take over with OVO energy, there have been many redundancies to the retail side of the buisiness.
Two-faced, intolerent, lazy team members who clearly felt threatened by a proactive person joining their team.
Agreed way forward on a number of items only to receive push back from my dedicated support resource time and time again. Always had a reason for 'why it couldn't be done' and if we agreed an action plan they only went and did the opposite!

Agreed way forward on other items only to have these thrown in my face the following day in front of them and made out like they were their idea!

Team members were very quick to back stab direct to manager rather than talk with me direct.
Pros
Nice office
Cons
Bullish team culture
Lovely job being out and about some areas were a bit risky going about on your own at nights.
Great PPE and induction .shame the induction didn't spend more time on the hand held appliances because on wet days they play up lock up and the bosses get upset to easily regarding it rather than addressing issues and blaming the opperative
Pros
Great job most of the time once you adapt to the rules and regulations
Cons
Hand held appliances
I was fortunate to have a manager who trusted me to do the work and not look over my shoulder. Yes, I earned that as I'm conscientious.

Unfortunately, due to a company wide restructure I'm now facing redundancy.

Depending on the business area, I'd say it's probably a decent place to work and plenty of benefits if you rate those highly.
Pros
Flexible working (location and hours)
Cons
Fewer opportunities atm due to restructure.
SSE has enabled me to develop from a electrical into a manager, providing me with a range of training courses, tools and support which allowed me to thrive
12 years service, varying roles, generally great management, plenty of opportunities for career progression. Would highly recommend for a safe and secure job.
Bullying was ongoing from the supervisors to what they looked on as those lower than themselves.

Treatment of staff on the call centre was very poor, parking was non existent for us on the call centre and you had to find parking in the public car parks even though you got to your desk early if you had problems getting into the computer systems (which took a long time) you were in trouble if the system logged you in late.
Do NOT apply to work in this SSE metering region of the North West if you are a half decent duel fuel engineer. You will be wasted working for the regional manager who wouldn’t be out place as a Middle East dictator. The guy bashes around the place with an iron fist. He has no technical experience or qualifications. His almost entire work force has either been on the sick for stress or left as they couldn’t take any more of his absolute circus of micro management. Jobs go up on the careers board and his relatives or ‘friends’ suddenly walk in with the job. Total corruption. 20 brand new drills came in to make our lives easier but he said none of us could have them??? What makes it laughable is he either thinks people are scared of him or people respect him. If he reads this it’s neither, people think he’s a complete joke.
You will have worked hard to gain your tickets, you deserve a level of respect from a very rewarding industry, however you will be cattle to this individual who senior management are aware of but do nothing with. A parasite in SSE’s metering team. Someone who should, by now be on borrowed time. His ‘puppets’ underneath him have been bashed round the head by him for that long now that they are the same ‘bullying, harassing, corrupt, incompetent employees who if OVO are to be a ‘great’ employer as they take over will get rid of and give the careers of hard working engineers back to the people.
Good company until takeover of ovo energy lost all sse employers and kept most ovo energy employer's company vechicles supplied no cost to go to eork.uniform provided
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Change of ownership
a caring company that cares about its staff like family. a very professional organisation. always given the right ppe and told if its not safe we dont do it.
This is a very fun and thriving environment to work within. I have learned valuable skills which i feel would be transferable to a number of potential other jobs.