Sports Direct Employee Reviews

Good for flexibility but terrible pay
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 April 2018
The amount of work expected does not add up to the amount that is paid hourly as employee are made to do more than what was first agreed for the job role. The management do not take care of their staff well at all and the commission and benefits received are little to nothing. This job is an okay first job and can easily fit around a college or uni schedule.
Pros
Work around college/uni
Cons
Very low pay
Never again
Sports Direct Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington20 April 2018
Hot, small, cramped.
Only get 4 hours shifts normally and getting overtime is near impossible.
Struggle to make more than £300 a month.
No respect from management and I'm obtainable targets set.
Pros
In town centre
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff City20 April 2018
I used to help set up the store in the morning before it opened. Part of my duties entitled monitoring store security, working on the tills, stockroom and warehouse work. I also worked in various parts of the store selling stock. I generally worked in the trainer section or stock room. I would also stay sometimes at shop closing to clear the store and put out the rubbish.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Bad management
Horrible place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow20 April 2018
I have worked here for 7 month so far. Other members of staff are brilliant to work with, all get along well and work as a team. Management on the other hand, well there’s no recognition for the work that they ask us to do, can be rude to staff members at times, I feel I’m not treated as an equal but just another payroll number to them. Salary is not worth the hassle it in the slightest. Hours can be cut at short notice if the store is not making decent money. If you happen to be a till working you will not make as good commission as staff members that work on shoe department, not a fair rotation for staff to be able to work in both departments.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Salary, hours being cut
normal warehouse work
Warehouseman (Current Employee) –  Shirebrook19 April 2018
normal work at warehouse. Sometimes you have to work more physically than usually, but it what warehouse work is about. people seems to be friendly, especially managers, didnt have any problems yet.
good place to work
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gateshead17 April 2018
I had to serve customers face to face and try and sell them shoes i also had to make sure the floor was tidy and make sure their was no shoe boxes lying around i also had to up sell gel insoles
Would not recommend
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Great Yarmouth, Norfolk15 April 2018
A typical day involves, working twice as much as the next person to get no recognition or praise from management or supervisors. You are not appreciated for general day to day tasks such as maintaining a tidy shop floor, unloading delivery etc, compared to those who sell incentive products which meet managements sales targets which if not met they do not receive there bonuses. The majority of management are male and spend most of there day following and perving on female customers or staff members on the shop floor. And when asked to undertake a task you are spoken to without any respect. I could not recommend this workplace to anyone.
Pros
Commission on top of wages
Cons
Low and inconsistent hours
Worst job you could possibly have
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire15 April 2018
Management were awful and treated you like rubbish unless you sold a lot of bags for life and stupid magazines; in that case they would love you for that day, until your next shift where if you did not perform as well in sales they would take you aside to complain about the fact that you are not shoving sales down the customers throats enough. Management make employees cry and do not bat an eyelid and will publicly embarrass employees in front of customers. They employ teenagers so that they can exploit them and treat them as poorly as you want. Minimum wage, and zero hour contracts mean that working at sports direct you cannot rely on having enough money to pay the bills every month (I was paid £3.79 an hour a few years ago). You can earn commission off of the bags for life and magazines that you sell but the whole process of trying to sell them is exhausting when customers complain about feeling pressured, but if you do not ask every customer then management will moan. If your sales fall, your hours are cut the next week. Our back 'office' (if that is what you wanna call it) used to stink, toilets were so scruffy I would refuse to use them. Uniform is awful. No air conditioning in my store so working in the summer was torture. I could continue, but if you was to just type in 'sports direct scandal' in google you'd find enough information on why the company is awful to work for. I'd rather be unemployed.
Cons
poor management, poor pay, ugly uniform
Its a Bad Place to work
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales12 April 2018
It's a terrible place to work, don't work there.

there is terrible job security you don't know whether your coming or going when you are working there, the job is just not rewarding due to the amount of hours you have to work to get a decent wage.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterlee, Durham12 April 2018
Decent place to work in between jobs and the 5* commission scheme is really motivating and is good to have friendly competition with fellow staff members

Want to know more about Sports Direct?

Ask a question
not enouh hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford11 April 2018
Typical day is to just serve customers and replenish stock
I learn that how to deal with all types of customers and transaction is very busy environment.
Management were helpful most of the time
The culture with late teens and most people were very nice
Hardest part of the job were the hours, either very late nights or very early mornings
Most enjoyable part with the pay and the discount.
hard
Shop Floor (Former Employee) –  Loughborough10 April 2018
hard place to work, manic is the best way t describe every department in this company, was great fun at times met a load if cool people, do get some funny bodies come into the stores tho
Cons
shoplifters
Fun workplace and safe environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire10 April 2018
You don’t get a lot of hours sometimes it’s due to your avalibility, it’s a good start to a new job life but minimum pay. They treat you well and the managers treat you with the right respect.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Hot workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire9 April 2018
It was always busy and I always had something to do, I extremely enjoyed it. The staff also made it enjoyable and had a laugh with other members of staff when it was suitable too.
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull8 April 2018
Never a dull moment at work, learn new things everyday. Management is good and understanding. Nothing really hard about the job, most enjoyable part of the job is working with people you get along with.
i enjoyed working with colleagues
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn, Norfolk8 April 2018
working with colleagues was great and working in the shop was good. Ive learnt a lot while i was working at Sports Direct. typical day would be put stock out make sure all the stock was in size order an tidy. Greet and Meet customers coming in and selling the product by the front doors. assist customers with any inquiries that they would have. If need on tills i would help out on tills handling money and speaking to the customers about how their experience was in the shop. The hardest part of the job was when it gets very busy on shoes and you have ppl waiting and unable to help the customers cause you don't want them to be waiting to long but you want to give the customer great service. The best part of the job is when the customer leaves happy and that they received great customer service from myself.
sports direct in luton mall
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Lutn6 April 2018
The sports direct in Luton mall is a fairly small sized store, which has a good customer service and sells good quality products. It is a clean and tidy place, which makes it a nice place to be in.
Pros
breaks are given
hated it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheerness, Kent4 April 2018
Management were awful they had no time for you and considering i lived 45 minutes away they did not understand i couldn't get to work on my day off within 10 minutes it was stupid
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire4 April 2018
I had a varied role and enjoyed being able to organise stock as well as help customers with their purchase choices.
I am a very keen sports person and so the job fitted me very well
great workplace and enviorament
Full Time Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester4 April 2018
good company to work for with fantastic incentives. don't exactly do things by the book, so much rule bending and unfair treatment. overall 3/5 best match - short term employment.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
long hours, unfair break times, overworked under appreciated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Direct. Our community is ready to answer.