Sports Direct Employee Reviews

Found 2,564 reviews matching the search See all 2,690 reviews
sales assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross, UK5 December 2018
the store was not really good managed as those times youngsters where working and lot hardly used to come to work which made it hard to meet targets, the pay was minimum wage but was okay working there
red shirt day
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston5 December 2018
Red shirts are people who are on 0 hour contracts. At the start of a job, one is usually on the till, quite often a first day is very busy which can be stressful but it benefits in the long run, as the store gets very busy especially around Christmas, Easter, and Back to School. The longer one works, and the better they get, the more responsibilities are placed upon them, e.g. cleaning the shop floor, working on delivery shift, serving on shoes, doing inventories etc.
Pros
easy tasks
Cons
boring
Car Crash - Don`t do it
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shirebrook, Derbyshire5 December 2018
I beg you not to work at Shirebrook Head office. Favouritism from the devils in control, long hours, poor pay. Could be a great place to work but it isn't!
Pros
Some people are great
Cons
Too long to list
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilford5 December 2018
Sports Direct is a good side job to have if you are still in education. However, if you are thinking of doing full time employment be ready for long hours. Majority of the time you will be working independently, this has given me the confidence to working in short time however staff do make your work load much harder to complete.
Pros
Discount
Is ok
Footwear Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, UK3 December 2018
Is a good company if you want to do some courses, but is not the best company ever, I am talking about in the retail zone. In overall is ok, but not to many opportunities to growth.
Pros
Is good is you want to study and work at the same time
Cons
Not enough hours
A job best for students
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham3 December 2018
Overall, working at sports direct has helped me improve my social and communication skills by coming across a variety of people i.e. customers and employees. As it is a 0 hour contract, I believe this to be more suitable for those who are studying as opposed for those who are looking for full-time permanent job. Staff are trained to operate tills, maintain shop floor, process deliveries and carry out basic customer service. There are many opportunities which provide staff to earn extra money such as the 'store pot' and commission based incentives. Staff are also given staff discount (20%) but on certain days and must however be authorized by management. In addition, I would say a personal con about this job are the shifts given (e.g. 9-12 4-8). Many people can find the job to be frustrating but it does depend on the individual itself. On the other hand, staff at sports direct are of different characters and in some way are another family. Working there for 4 years, I have made lifelong friends and in touch with many people. Two suggestions for the company would be to increase the wage per hour and to finally change/update the uniform!
Pros
Staff, Commission, Music in Store
Cons
Wage, Shift patterns, Very long breaks (upto 4 hours even), Uniform
Good job security, too long hours
Supervisor/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London2 December 2018
Good job security and advancement opportunities, however you are expected to work too many hours and the full time staff does not get any over time paid, only bonuses when they pass stock take, which is out of their control as they do not have security guards in high crime areas.
productive work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside2 December 2018
assisting customers
operating tills
cashing up
handling customer complaints
keeping shop floor clean and tidy
setting up promotional displays
restocking sales areas
following policies and procedures
Unpredictable hours and unfair pay
Part Time Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shropshire28 November 2018
In terms of workplace atmosphere, it will vary due to the store. However, the company as a whole - it really is kind of awful. Obviously, it is 0 hour contracts, so you're never guaranteed hours, but the way they handle that is horrendous and unfair. The hours are always too unpredictable and the salary is somewhat pitiful. And for the way the customers treat you, it's not worth it. As a part time job while you're at college/uni, it's okay, but once you leave education and you're relying on it to give you a steady income, the reality sets in.
Pros
I've made good friends there.
Cons
Unpredictable hours and low pay
Christmas Temp- easy first job.
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Taunton28 November 2018
I started working as a Christmas temp less than 3 weeks ago. I currently have had 4 real shifts and a 1 hour shift as part of my induction.

The pay is okay I guess for a 16 year old.
I get paid £4.58 an hour and I do 3-4 hour shifts. For my set hours I’ve been given I have 3 days off a week so far.

I have not been taught much on the tills, just the basic scan, ask if they need a bag, try sell a bag for life, make conversation and smile.

I’ve learned how to take the tags off and how to take store credit and stuff but not much else really. For my only shifts I’ve just been put on a till and my last 2 shifts I was left completely alone with no help which annoyed customers as I wasn’t completely sure of what I was doing.

Also as a Christmas temp I’m guaranteed no hours of work.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not much training. Pay. No guaranteed work.
A convenient first job to gain work experience.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Medway Towns, Kent27 November 2018
I have worked at sports direct from the age of seventeen and have always found it to be an enjoyable environment, in each of the four store i have worked within.
The environment can be fast paced, but i have always found it to be manageable.
Having worked at the company for multiple years and in different stores i have gain a range of skills that will be transferable in future roles; such as money handling, team leading and customer service.
management have always been happy to rehire me for summer and winter employment while i was back at home from university.
Pros
convenient and flexible hours
Cons
often not enough hours to work
Bad workplace
Candidate (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Dorset26 November 2018
Very unprofessional recruitment and management. I was really disappointed with the attitude of the people. They invite you for an interview and then refuse you in 1-2 hours. Completely nonsense.
FUN works
help people to choce a shoes (Former Employee) –  london26 November 2018
I want work to learn about the work and how I can work in a future so. I'm working now in college off day but in a summer. I will work 4 days in a week or five days.
Pros
is 10% off
Cons
short hours
not very nice place to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Loughborough, Leicestershire21 November 2018
At sports direct you got spoken to rudely on a daily basis by the managers. the pay way really poor and so were the hours. a lot of the time the managers wouldn't do any work they'd just stand out in the back talking to one another about nights out etc.
Poorly skilled managers, decent commission if managers did not fiddle the system
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland19 November 2018
Minimum wage with a decent commision structure although managers suddenly left their area of focus to be in the place to sell the highest value goods leaving the staff with poor opportunities to make money on this scheme. Eg, menswear manager sudenly working with the expensive bags and not managing the menswear area.

How managers treated you were based on you were affecting their bonus so things such as not finger printing in/out on time led to big issues, as did genuine sickness. The zero hour contract was not adhered to should you need to let them know you were unavailable 24 hours before a shift.
Hours were manipulated based on the managers personal favourites and shockingly not on merit.
Managers also neglected their duties and areas of being in charge of to sell the highest value items in store instead to make more money for themselves.
The best part of the job was the fashion and customers.
The worst was bonus and commission motivated managers who were poorly equipped to keep staff and tackle issues which affected the store sales or other staff.
There was no feedback available for staff to give on how the store or stock could be improved or relay what customers really wanted.

The company had little training or interest in what the customer wants and all was based on spreadsheets which gave it a distinct soulless feel regarding passion for products and service.

Tasking always took priority over service and the floor was often neglected during busy periods to the detriment of sales and the customers needs.

we were pressured into perusing shop lifters
  more... inadvertently, staff rewarded for giving chase outside the store or tackling them to the ground with no regard for their safety should there be a weapon.
No security guards employed.

Hours based on closeness and favourites of managers if you were zero hours.Staff allowed to abuse the commission system by putting favourites in high value good areas, by managers placing themselves here and allowing older staff to effectively take other staffs sales without being reprimanded.
12 hour day gave one hour break.
All breaks were legal minimum.
Pros
fashion, customers and worked around a second job
Cons
poor breaks, poor managers, commission was manipulated
okay
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  london16 November 2018
working there was only tolerable because of the people that were there, if not from them I would have left a while back, my pay is terrible and you do a lot of hard work same as others but they happen to get more?
Pros
idek
Cons
pay
Good and supportive staff and manager
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire16 November 2018
THE ENVIORMENT IN SHOP[ IS REALLY GOOD,MANAGER IN THE SHOP IS REALLY SUPPORTIVE And helpful.flexible hours also.thanks for supporting the whole sports direct team
Great for students and christmas temps
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds14 November 2018
The job has some perks such as the ability to earn commission which motivates staff to help customers. The culture is fairly laid back however there are daily targets to meet.
Part time contract
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire14 November 2018
Was an assistant manager and had to work 45 hours per week. Long hours, not bad pay but very stressful environment. Left to pursue another career . . . .
Productive place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex13 November 2018
I enjoyed working in sports direct it was exciting everyday was a different challenge and I met all different types of people and I met my long time friends there too
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Direct. Our community is ready to answer.