Sports Direct Employee Reviews

Good
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Reading13 July 2018
Sports Direct was a great workplace for me personally, due to the easy going atmosphere around the staff, but also the hours and contract for someone in my situation. Zero Hours is perfect for a university student who needs extra income alongside studies, with the hours being friendly and fair to all staff.
a lot of hours for no money
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside12 July 2018
you would work a 12 hour days and come out with about £50 for the day which is awful. also you are on a 0 hour contract so your pay isn't the same each month and you are not guaranteed hours
Pros
staff are lovley
Cons
pay is terrible
Fun Group of People to work with
Customer Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury12 July 2018
Whilst working at Sports Direct is fun dealing with customers and team members, the salary and zero hour contracts make it difficult to plan as hours change weekly and they salary for floor staff is terrible.
Fun and dangerous workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex11 July 2018
During my time at Sports Direct I was often working within the shop floor helping customers with their queries and collecting their sizes from the stock room, while also assisting with stock taking duties.

I was required to arrive at 6:00am on many occasions to await deliveries to the store. Despite having a contract for only six hours per week, I proved myself to be committed to the job and earned many extra hours.
Awful place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford10 July 2018
I worked there briefly when I was 15, however my stay was short lived because I was only getting 4 hours a week on around 3.40 an hour. It just wasn't worth it, especially when the people who worked there were awful to me and spoke to me like dirt. Being my first job, at 15 years old, I wanted to enjoy it, however I was so worried about going in one day that I cried and called in to quit. They weren't too bothered though.
good work if your still at college
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne10 July 2018
the only positive thing i can think about from working here is they fact i am able to have the shifts fitted around my college. the main downside is the way you get treat from members of the public and the full time staff
Part time suited
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent10 July 2018
Short shifts that worked around school and college however didn't help when on holidays. Very busy and fast paced throughout summer. Very quiet in winter.
A lot of back and forth between stockrooms and customers, difficult to manage customers expectations.
Exciting
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dorset9 July 2018
It was never a dull day working here there was always things to do. The other staff members were also interesting to be around and fun to work with. I enjoyed working here
Pros
Staff room
Cons
Got hot in summer
Fun and enjoyable working environment
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenford, Greater London8 July 2018
When it is busy it can be very difficult to work efficiently. Also the employees are required to work as fast as possible, to help keep customers satisfied, so it's quite a fast paced working environment as well as fun and enjoyable. So employees just have to be hard working, and able to deal with pressure.
Pros
Commision scheme
Would not suggest
Sales Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bletchley8 July 2018
Bad pay
Very few hours

Management was quite rude and disrespectful

Little support from management

Awful uniform

Staff discount of 20%

Would not recommend
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Treatment
Good progression for customer service
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester3 July 2018
Good Place to get a year's worth of customer service. The atmosphere is quite lively, however customers' can be quite rude, but it is a good start to make your way up as you learn different skills such as communication skills - speaking and listening.
Pros
20% staff discount
Cons
Short Breaks; management; short hours
productive workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampshire3 July 2018
My job was to work at the counter and serve customers. I learned to deal with different types of customers' queries and complaints and this helped me boost my self-confidence.
Easy to work, not too much oversight
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London3 July 2018
Lots of hours available if you need them. Good friendly atmosphere, staff and customers. High turnover so lots of oppurtunity to gain more experience.
Pros
Decent place to work
Cons
Difficult to get time off
worst place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate2 July 2018
if you ever think this job is the job for you don't they treat their staff so unfairly the company is overall terrible I speak as a person not as a number the management had no concern what was going on in my personal life I had just lost a relative and they let me go as I had to be off for two weekends in a row the staff are lovely and dam do they work hard for their pennies the most enjoyable part of the job was genuinely working on footwere the hardest part was dealing with the manager the work place culter is that of a cut throught environment the staff care for one another but be dammed if a manager helped over all a terrible company to work for
Pros
Cons
everything
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Shields1 July 2018
really lovely place to work with great staff that you can easily become friends with and a great workplace culture, however hard work is important to keep up.
Fun working place
Westgate street, Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bath30 June 2018
A typical day at work is never the same as we have times in the year where it is busier then others. I learn each time i work to be patient as i do have to deal with some difficult customers. My manager is very helpful throughout the day steering me in the right direction to make more commission when working on footwear. Everyone is very friendly and we all work well as a team. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers and being efficient when the work place is very busy. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in a team.
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
poor salary
bad
Casual worker (Current Employee) –  Hounslow29 June 2018
doesnt offer you alot of hours if you are part time. and the shifts you work are not always good and can get very repetitive.
pros- the five star commission is decent.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield28 June 2018
I were a productive place but the pay rise were low , it were productive because I had to move a lot but the management was good but I’m not that type of person to always be moving shelf’s
Cons
6 hours
Fun place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands28 June 2018
Very fun place to work. Staff are very friendly and management are very helpful. Never the same day at sports direct as you always help different people
Safe and steady workplace which helps character development
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Church Street26 June 2018
I have worked at Sports Direct for 3 years and the change in me as a person from when I started to now is remarkable. I have gone from a timid and hardly outgoing person to someone who is a very confident and assured salesman.
A typical day at work involves serving customers on the shop floor and keeping the standards of the shop up. These two practices are the most and least enjoyable respectively as one is an opportunity to earn commission and keep on your toes whereas the other is boredom inducing.
The management are fair and generally have the staffs best interests at heart however, as with any workplace there are the odd bad eggs who are best to be avoided.
Overall Sports Direct is a comfortable place to work, albeit with very few opportunities to progress.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Direct. Our community is ready to answer.