Sports Direct Employee Reviews

enjoyable but work environment harsh at times
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coleraine, County Londonderry23 June 2018
good place to work for money and hours but management at times isn't very nice and had few ups and down and many people had similar opinion on this. but overall it was still a good experience
Productive and busy workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrow on the Hill, Greater London21 June 2018
Decent workplace for the first couple of weeks but staff/managers/supervisors become rude and unfair. wage was very weak. toilet breaks were whenever the manager gets you go no matter how desperate you are. 16 year olds 30 minute lunch breaks, 18+ 20 minute breaks.
The work is enjoyable as I like talking to people and working within a team. The staff is very kind and are always open to helping with any tasks.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woking, Surrey21 June 2018
A typical day at work very much depends on the business. If it is not very busy it makes doing jobs such as tidying and sweeping much easier, however, if it is busy it can become somewhat difficult to complete all of the work. Although this is rarely an issue because of the fact that the team is very efficient so all work will be completed.

I learnt various things during my time here. One of which would be in regards to interaction with others. I am far more comfortable with talking to other than I was before I started working here. I feel more capable of speaking to other whether they are a member of the team or of the public.

The management at the store was very good. The managers are easy to work with due to their kind and friendly attitude. It is very efficient and the store runs smoothly. If anybody has any questions, the managers are always open to answer or if they do not know immediately, it will not be long before they find out and inform you.

The hardest part of the job would probably be when the store gets busy, however, this is usually overcome by the chemistry of the team and the effectiveness of each individual staff member.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with others. I enjoy speaking to both the other members of staff and the customers. This makes for a much more enjoyable experience for all.
Pros
Holiday pay every three months
Cons
Unpredictable hours due to the zero hour contract
Great workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff21 June 2018
I absolutely loved working here, the atmosphere was great and everyone was very welcoming. It was my first job so I feel lucky to have had this experience. Sports Direct St. Davids Arcade, Cardiff is a great place to work.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Low pay
good workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury21 June 2018
this work place is a good place to work as the job is easy however,working hours seemed unfair and management wasent very understanding, however as it is commisom based work salary can be high
Worst place i have ever worked
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire20 June 2018
Sports Direct was the worst place I have ever had the displeasure of working at. The management were horrible, new staff members were treated badly and the full time staff always took advantage of the part time staff by making them do all the work. Sales were pushed beyond belief and you would be given less hours if you didn't sell well. The management cared more for sales numbers than the moral of the staff.
Pros
Communication Skills
Never work there again
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset19 June 2018
Hardly any hours, favouritism to the staff that's been there the long time i.e. one rule for them another rule for me. Extremely rude colleagues if you want to get spoken to like rubbish then this is the job for you. Don't work there!!
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Every apect of working there
Great place to work!
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire19 June 2018
I found that working at Sports Direct has taught me how to remain calm under pressure and how to maintain my professionalism and how to balance my emotions out when at work, for example when dealing with customers who are in a bad mood. I have learned to not take their attitude personally and to still give them the best customer service I can offer. My workplace was full of friendly colleagues and a very happy workplace to work at, so much so to the point that I looked forward to working at Sports Direct even more! The management was also great, making sure they keep us up to date on the shop runnings and explaining the reasons behind why we are assigned tasks and why we need to perform them efficiently. They also ensure that we are performing to the best of our abilities.The workplace culture is also great, having parties and event which involves everyone, it makes us all feel like we are one whole family. The hardest part of the job, I would say is having to deal with rude and impatient customers, but even then, it isn't too hard of a thing to deal with. The most enjoyable part of the job, of course, would be the rewarding feeling of having completed your tasks, e.g. a tidy shop floor as well has having served customers to the best of your abilities and seeing them leave the shop with a smile on their faces.
0 hour contract,
Footwear Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gravesend19 June 2018
A typical day at work would be serving customers any shoes they want to try on, upselling any accessories or shoe care.
Cleaning, organising stock and remaining vigilant of thieves are also duties.
I have further developed my communication and inter personal skills while working at Sports Direct.
Management do not treat part time workers with the same respect as full time workers.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with aggressive and loud customers.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be the friendship I have formed with the other employees.
Unprofessional
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Crayford17 June 2018
Everyone working there didn’t have a clue on how to run the shop efficiently. Managers were creepy and touchy. Would not recommend!! was my first proper job
Cons
a fun workplace and staff is professional
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  glasgow silverburn16 June 2018
a fun place to work in, the staff is very friendly and professional at their work, the managers are very understanding and hard workers. would love to work here again.
Pros
discount
Do not work here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London16 June 2018
It states that zero hour contracts are 'flexible' and useful for part time students, is not true at all
Made me work more hours than I asked for as well as the management being rude and demeaning

Asking for days off felt incredibly hard and occasionally when I asked for the day off, I check the rota and I have been put on for the day, and my manager acting like I'm the difficult one with the problem and refusing to change the shift or set a cover

Additionally, when asked if I could have fewer hours, or change around my days, Manager refused and suggested that I quit without even checking to see if the rota could be changed, which goes against the concept of working when they need you on a zero hour contract

As well as this, whilst also at university in my lectures, I have also been called to ask if I was available to work, but yet when I have called or texted managers to discuss my situation with the shifts, he doesn't reply. It seems that there is all take and no give. Also when I have refused the extra work, the managers have had a go at me saying that 'I do favours for you but when I ask for a favour you refuse' in which it is not true as I have very occasionally stayed in to help close down. He makes me feel guilty for being unable to work when I can (please note future workers, you have a legal right to refuse any extra shifts that they ask you to do)

The customers can be both a pain and a godsend, you can have cheery customers who enjoy the service and those who would give you a cheerful experience (with great commission occasionally) but also some who come
  more... in almost to put you in the firing line, blaming you for lack of stock or lack of service in secluded areas in the store. (which is customary in any retail job)  less
Pros
Discount, 20% off including occasional store sales, so can be up to 30-40% off
Cons
See below, lack of work balance, especially for young workers
nice people but reptitive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor14 June 2018
I worked mainly the delivery shifts where I spent my time in the back unloading the delivery which was nice not having being interrupted by customers but it got quite repetitive. Often in one shift you would do one job (e.g. till or footwear or putting stock out) all day so could get a bit tedious.
Pros
nice people
Cons
repetitive
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire14 June 2018
Great but standard first job for young people, management were decent and try to work around what you need but can be unfriendly when doing something wrong. Zero hour contract is not that great and can only find out what hours you are working a week before.
Learned how to work in a fat pace environment and operating tills
can be busy during weekends
Cons
0 hours
Didn’t enjoy the job
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham13 June 2018
Received very low pay. Was on a 0 hours contract so often meant I didn’t work when I needed the money, management was OK but not great. Songs played are uncopyrighted so we’re terrible and repetitive, hated the uniform. Eventually left and found a new job so I quit but then received a letter in the post saying they were firing me although I had already quit!
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Low pay and unreliable hours
Horrible place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs13 June 2018
If you are looking to work for Sports Direct then think again. Poor management at the top and in stores that lead to poor customer service. No real progression opportunities and a place that makes you want to leave straight away.
Uncomfortable
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn12 June 2018
Manager wouldnt teach me the basics of working there so i resulted to asking co-workers to help me with tasks. They were alsoquite rude to me aswell, they aren't exactly professional.
Fun Co-workers, Rude Customers and Management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 June 2018
Working at Sports Direct shows you everything that sucks about working in retail. Heres a typical day:
you clock in leave your things in the stock room and you essentially have three options: tills, footware or clothing.

Each have their ups and and many downs, if you're on clothing prepare to contemplate your own suicide via clothes hanger because all you're doing is standing for no less than 5 hours making flaccid polo sleeves look "presentable" & folding t-shirts just for a 45 year old man and his three sons to wreck it 2 minutes later and this just repeats (and it's real fun when they ask you to get items from basically the ceiling and said sons try to knock you off your already wobbly ladder) and after that shift, sawing your own feet off with a blunt knife sounds more pleasing with the way your feet throb and your back feels like your spine is literally collapsing.

Now tills, prepare to explain to customers we don't do refunds for the gizillionth time, and even if we did, which we don't, you bought this "no fear" jersey in 2008 why are you here now??? So its basically scanning, serving and soliciting common sense to customers and being the warden of the store by radioing completed purchases to the disturbingly pervy security, fun. oh and the whole standing no leaning on the tills thing is great too for 8 straight hours.

Lastly we have footware, arguably the most entertaining section. If you're lucky you have shoe runners getting things from the stock room for you, but even when you do, half the time you have to leave the 7 customers shoving nikes and skechers
  more... in your face to fetch the shoes yourself- sometimes from entire different floors, or you'll radio shoes in 3-4 good times and 30 minutes later you're STILL waiting, meanwhile you have 14 more customers on your neck from different sections because your colleagues on infant footware don't feel like working, and top of that lovely bit of work have fun running shoes to behind the till getting yelled at by managers and forced to pushed insoles and care sprays that LITERALLY no one wants to buy (do you seriously think anyone shopping at sports direct is looking to empty their pockets??) all while ensuring the shoe boxes are kept tidy that customers mess up for the fun of it, don't even get started on the customers and their rancid attitudes it's like they're in competition with the managers to see who can treat you like even more of a nonentity, because apparently it's your fault 6/7 of the shoes they've asked you to grab from the stock room are out of stock and of course us the staff are accusing them of stealing by being protective of the shoes and taking them to tills. And when the customers finally clear off you bet you cant sit down for a second because it's in your contract you can't do that. ever.

And even when you finally reach your one day off a week, enjoy having your phone ringing non-stop from 10am because they need you in for a busy shift, savour the guilt tripping if your answer is anything but an immediate happy yes, because for a "0 hour contract" you have very little say in your shifts.
Pros
co-workers can be fun, good banter, discount
Cons
Long hours, sore limbs, patience tried everyday from abhorrent customers
Would never work here again
Sports Direct Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow11 June 2018
Was given very little training, even though this was my first retail job.
Management couldn't care less about the new starts and totally hung you out to dry if you made any mistakes!
I was screamed at infront of customers one day, walked out and never returened.
They also docked my wage for breaks (I was due these as I was only 16 & was working for over 4 hours), I was never offered, nor did I ever take a break. Even when working 8 hours I did not get break or lunches, yet the breaks were taken off my wage slip!

Only after 2 months of leaving the job did I get the money I was owed from this.
rubbish
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester10 June 2018
having to get the train to work there at manchester which cost more than what i earnt an hour as well as only doing 2/3 hour shifts so earning little money for the time spent.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Direct. Our community is ready to answer.