Sports Direct Employee Reviews

Awful
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Bracknell, Berkshire14 October 2018
Do not accept a job here. You are forced to sell bags for life, and if you dont are called out in a monthly staff meeting, or given less hours. You are also searched as you leave the shop floor showing a significant mistrust of staff.
productive and fun
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire14 October 2018
have previously worked for this company for three years. i enjoyed my time there. management was good however not many company benefits. fun working environment
Good job for students
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  London11 October 2018
Our duties was to serve customers at the cash point, at shoes, clothing and accesories sometimes, process delivery and tidy the shop.
I improved my english language, confidence, negociation and organisation skills.
The management is efficient but too greedy cause they cutting the hours and calling people to work only in the busy periods.
Work place culture is to work hard, be polite and friendly with team and customers, be a good seller of 5 star products.
The hardest part of the job is when you work in the busiest period and we have to serve 4-5 people in the same time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is aproaching and learn
from different customers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Too much preasue in the busiest periods
Terrible place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey10 October 2018
Management lack basic people skills and treat the younger workers poorly by shouting at them In front of colleagues and customers. Training is non existent and no support provided to improve skills of those entering 1st job. Really disappointing place to work as your not allowed to talk to other staff and build any sort of working relationships.
Pros
Like minded staff who.support each other in absence of managers support
Cons
Wages no where near £8 an hour. Shifts given with only 1 weeks notice
productive workplace
Supervisor/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Derbyshire10 October 2018
great place to work in when you have a strong management team
you learn how to merchandise according to seasons which is the most enjoyable part of the job.
rough
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow10 October 2018
Shifts were few and far between due to the sheer number of workers, although I did learn how to deal with customers and the effectiveness of a tidy workplace.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
little pay for long hours
ALright
(Christmas Temp) Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 October 2018
The Pay was poor , at the Time I was 17 and was asked to work on my days off during busy days. Working the Christmas Period. I Breaks were bit short , just about had enough time to sit and eat a snack.
Terrible place to work
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, UK8 October 2018
Don't work here the pay is terrible and all they offer are 0 hour contracts which offer no guarantee of hours and the management really don't care about your health or well being.
Pros
people
Cons
Everything else
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire8 October 2018
Great staff and gained valuable sales experience working there. The training was very thorough and helpful in knowing how to deal with customers and working to hit targets.
Pros
Staff discounts
Enjoyable but professional
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport8 October 2018
A typical day is very busy so you constantly on the go. The management is good, they push you to get the work done. I have gained stronger communication skills and the ability to adapt to different customers.
Don’t stay there for too long!
Footwear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth7 October 2018
Managers never do anything themselves, just stand and chat all day. When you are expected to upsell bad quality products because you have targets each day. Managers tell you to target elderly people as they are move vulnerable and tend to believe everything you say. Staff and managers are very rude and abusive. Low pay. Managers are bringing family members and friends into the store and making them managers too, so it’s like a mini family business
Pros
Benefits like discounts in other stores.
Cons
Abusive managers and staff, lies to bring sales up.
Decent place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands5 October 2018
Hours were so flexible and very good, fit easily around uni. Managers were nice and let me have any days off I needed. However, due to the returns policy and nature of some of the offers you do get very rude and awkward customers. Working conditions and facilities weren’t the best, it was very very hot in the store and air con did not get fixed until weeks after. Pay isn’t great but it’s something, I’m grateful my managers gave me this job as I was constantly getting rejected and this was my first ever job.
Pros
Nice staff nice managers flexible hours
Cons
Hot, rude customers
Fun and helpful workplace
Footwear Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bracknell, Berkshire4 October 2018
The workplace at Sports Direct was always fun because people were so upbeat to speak to and it was good to help people out. Also when I had just started the job other employees where very helpful in making sure I knew what I was doing when helping out with footwear by giving me lots of advice all the time.
Pros
Good benefits
awful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurrock, Essex2 October 2018
the pay is incredibly low and they give out 0 hour contracts so they give me 3 hour shifts which are the worst because it takes me an hour to travel up there and costs me nearly an hours work and they're at the most awkward times. The managers are rude and grumpy and extremely hard to sus out and get along with. i have to work 6 hours just to pay for one driving lesson and only get about 9 hours a week even though im available 4 days a week.they also change your shift midweek and dont tell you then you get in trouble and given a warning for not showing up, absolute joke.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
low pay, no set hours, rude managers, incredibly boring
Flexible but poor work place
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire2 October 2018
Very flexible zero hours contract. However, can leave you with very few hours in some weeks. The pay is decent but the hours are too variable for someone looking to earn a regular salary. Easy work but often left short-staffed and working environment is poor with little chance to progress in the workplace.
Pros
Okay pay, flexible hours
Cons
Often not enough working hours given, no progression, lack of proper training
Good for students
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol1 October 2018
Zero hour contract, means its very good for students however for those looking for more than guaranteed 12 hours a week. Look elsewhere. Commision is cool.
Pros
Commision
Cons
Limited hours
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 September 2018
it was long and busy.sometimes the staff were very bossy. the area I worked in was sports direct was oxford street so its clearly goibg to be very busy.
like all warehouse
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Shirebrook, Derbyshire25 September 2018
there are is only one plus if you wont to work you work, the staff is ok but some of the people do not remember what is respect for other, like everywhere.
Fun workplace
Casual Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, Dorset24 September 2018
When i worked for sports direct i was 16 and most of my colleagues were around my age, it was a fun environment to work in. Customers can become very annoying with the way we have to deal with certain situations
Pros
Discount
productive and busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wallsend, Tyne and Wear23 September 2018
very busy on the shop floor, worked on the footwear department. interact with parents and children on getting the right shoe size to try on.

Upselling was a big part of the job, the people who I worked with all seemed young and of the same age as myself so made friends.
Pros
worked with nice people
Cons
not enough hrs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sports Direct. Our community is ready to answer.