Play YouTube video button
Spire Healthcare

Spire Healthcare Employee Reviews

United Kingdom200 reviews
Featured review
Spire Healthcare selected this as a representative review
Excellent progression within role in a supportive environment
Flexible working patterns
Excellent CPD and opportunities for learning

Open culture (learning from issues, problem solving, non blame), friendly teams, patient-centered, collaborative workplace

String management structure
3 October 2019
Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We are so pleased to hear about your positive experience with us. Thank you for being a part of our team!
terrible place
A very unpleasant place to work.
Management is not helping with your professional development. Pay is poor. You have to fight for even a small pay rise, which is very degrading. Bully culture. The management doesn't care about staff or patients but exclusively focuses on profit which is not the attitude I'm used to.

I have never worked in such a stressful working environment with that many unpleasant people with a couple of exceptions.

If you want to risk your happiness, morals, and professional integrity, then by all means apply!
30 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. We are really sorry that your time working in the Pathology Team at Spire Manchester has not worked out. The concerns you have identified are a huge concern to us and these behaviours are not something we accept at our Hospital. We work hard to ensure our management team foster a positive working culture. If you would like to have a confidential conversation about the specific details behind these concerns, then please contact us directly at Andrew.Eadsforth@spirehealthcare.com. We wish you all the best with your next career move.
Stress
Working for Spire Southampton is frustrating, there is little training, no encouragement and little work life balance. I frequently did not have the tools to do the work e.g. waited 6 weeks for a printer.

The staff at Spire are amazing and work as a team and are very supportive, I loved working with the staff and the Consultants were an inspiration.

The management is absent, quick to criticise and slow to encourage and support.
29 April 2020
Thank you for leaving a review. It’s great to hear you enjoy the people you work with as that is a key to our success. However, we’re sorry to hear you haven’t had a pleasant experience so far with management. We work hard to ensure our management team foster a positive working culture and will continue to provide training in this area.
First nursing position after qualifying as a nurse - biggest mistake of my career
I was offered a position as a pre assessment (preceptorship) nurse as a newly qualified nurse at Spire London East hospital. I was interviewed by a lovely hospital matron. Upon receiving notification that I was offered the position, I had to wait two and a half months to go through the clearing process before a start date was offered, which I believed was a very long time to wait to start a new job, as well as be out of practice for that length of time.

The preceptor assigned to 'support' me in my nursing role was a nasty, evil Nigerian nurse who absolutely hated her job in the department, and made no attempt to hide this fact. A bully. I felt uncomfortable working alongside this nurse, and she made me regret asking questions due to her response and overall character and behaviour. I was left in tears at one time. I reported this preceptor and received support from the management team but not from the clinical lead nurse, who made me feel at fault. I received extremely poor support from the preceptor nurse and clinical lead, but more support from an agency nurse, which I thoroughly appreciated. I think this speaks volumes about an organisation whereby a new and junior member of staff receives more support in their role from an outsider agency nurse than from insiders within the organisation.

Furthermore, I would like to add that the organisation were not willing to fund my venepuncture and cannulation training, which requires nurses to take blood from patients in face to face pre-assessment prior to undergoing elective surgery. Venepuncture and cannulation is an essential
 - more...
12 May 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We’re sorry to hear you had a negative experience at Spire. We work hard to ensure our management team foster a positive working culture and will continue to provide training in this area.
Lovely hospital but not clueless suppprt team
SMT change over meant a lack of understanding of the hospital Managers put in charge that have never worked in hospitals before Bullying culture then occurred and huge turnover of staff In then we lost a lot of work
29 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. We’re sorry to hear you didn’t have a pleasant experience at Spire. We work hard to ensure our management team foster a positive working culture and will continue to provide training in this area. We also do our best to retain our great team members and support their growth and development. We wish you the best in your career.
Culture of fear
If you are a clincian then Spire is a great place to work - management really take into account the importance of hospoital staff.

However, if you work in the central function then there is no real structure in place to nurture rising talent and no real prospects for bright people who want to get on in their careers.
11 March 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate the work and skills each of our employees brings to our organisation. We are focused on employee development, have an open culture that encourages engagement with leadership on this topic, and try to support wherever possible. We do realise that from time to time there may be limitations in terms of advancement. Colleagues at all Spire environments are valuable to us and we are sorry that you felt underappreciated in your role.
productive
this was a work experience placement within their finance department where I learned a lot about what it is like to work within the company and how a general finance department is run. I had the opportunity to talk to managers from all areas and gain exposure to finance
28 February 2020
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We’re happy to offer opportunities to learn, develop and grow within our many departments.
Same old review management Terrible
Weird place to work. Terrible pay. Management have zero clue because a lot of them are either not in healthcare or were in healthcare years ago they have forgotten how to treat people. Bully culture. Pay is absolutely dreadful. You have to fight for a wage rise. Stay in the NHS, you're a real nurse there. I really wish head office would look at these reviews and do something about senior management in spire.
11 March 2020
Thanks for leaving the review. We are working hard to improve staff engagement and retention and this type of feedback is taken seriously. If you are willing to talk with us directly about your experience, this might help us understand where we can improve the way we work with colleagues now and in the future. If you are interested, please do get in touch with barry.wood@spirehealthcare.com and we can set up some time for a chat. Thank you again.
Mass incompetence
In constant breach of contract. It’s who you know rather than what you know. Erosion of salary. Health and safety and safeguarding of personal details not being practised, despite constant on-line training.
28 February 2020
Thanks for your feedback. At Spire, we strive to offer competitive compensation and benefits in-line with the marketplace average. We also have a focus on quality as part of the commitment we make to our patients. Our values embody a commitment to act ethically and with integrity in all our relationships.
Productive work space
I enjoyed my time and helping clients and learnt a lot about the medical sector and dealing with sensitive issues.
I was able to grow to an extend would have appreciated it more if their were more progressive roles.
20 February 2020
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We’re happy to offer our employees opportunities to develop and grow personally. Career progression is important to us as a business and we aim to provide these opportunities where possible.
Welcoming!
Spire is a lovely place to work! Everyone is so welcoming and you feel settled within just a couple of weeks. I highly recommend applying for a job at Spire Southampton!
Pros
Team work. Respect. Food. Aproachable managers.
Cons
None yet...
10 February 2020
Thanks for the positive feedback. We know a big reason our company is successful is due to our people. We always try to create an enjoyable working environment where our employees can enjoy our benefits.
Great Team atmosphere
I was quite apprehensive making the jump from the NHS but I needn’t have worried. The pace and complexity are the same. Same focus on safety & standards & ultimately I spend more quality time with the patients. Fab food, free parking, small community of staff, ongoing training. I’m happy here.
4 February 2020
I joined Spire 6 months ago and love it
There is a fantastic team spirit and a real focus on delivering fantastic care to our patients. The culture is positive and supportive
28 January 2020
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We know a big reason our company is successful is due to our people. We always try to create an enjoyable working environment where our employees can enjoy our benefits.
Great place to work as s nurse
Friendly, supportive place to work.
Good new education programme available fo us this year.

Restaurant is wonderful with great food for your break.
Pros
New management team across the management board, Free parking, competitive annual leave entitlement, Education and development opportunities
28 January 2020
Thanks for your feedback. The key to our success is our people. We’re glad you enjoy working with your team. We’re also happy to offer our employees opportunities to grow and develop within our many departments.
Fast-paced but rewarding
Good working culture with supportive management
Excellent staff, teams supporting each other

Progression opportunities

Work-life balance sometimes challenging
Pros
Staff
Cons
Parking
27 January 2020
Thanks for the review. We’re glad to hear you enjoy your work. Our team wouldn’t be anything without our hardworking team members. We also understand work-life balance is important to all our employees and are sorry to hear you feel overworked at times. This issue is really important to us – we will continue to seek improvements by connecting feedback with managers and collaborating as a management team.
Awful place to work
Spire Healthcare totally goes against what it stands for A hospital is a place of care and compassion SMT show no compassion towards there hard working staff and are very much the opposite to caring i would describe SMT at Spire as bully's who do not follow company procedures, they also treat members of staff unfavourably to one another. No progression and no concern towards there employees health.
23 January 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate the work and skills each of our employees brings to our organisation and are sorry you felt underappreciated. We also work hard to ensure our management team foster a positive working culture and will continue to provide training in this area.
Fast Paced Place to Work
A very busy hospital, lost going on - great staff, everybody knows everybody. Staff help support one another and if a jobs needs doing everyone will muck in together. SMT are approachable and very supportive
Pros
Uniform Provided
Cons
Politics
16 January 2020
Thanks for the positive feedback. We’re glad to hear you enjoy your work. Our team wouldn’t be anything without our hardworking team members.
Friendly
Friendly place to work within teams. Hard place to work under management. People come and go but the core staff stay loyal through ups and downs. Would recommend.
16 January 2020
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. The key to our success is our people. We’re glad you enjoyed working with your team.
Managment lack authority and accept bullying culture
Started "training" which was supposed to be 2-5 weeks minimum working along-side a senior member of staff but was thrown in at the deep end 3 days in and had to learn on the desk - even with the acknowledgment of being undertrained, I was verbally reprimanded for making mistakes and this later in turn made me apprehensive to trust senior members of staff with enquires. Many attempts at reporting internal hierarchy based bullying fell on deaf ears, many senior members of staff had formed a clique-like group with management and were paid more for doing less work than employees who do more than reception based work (and any mention of a raise for "promotions" into other sectors of work within the department were dismissed by management because the basic salary was more than minimum wage - but only by 30p may I add; so hardly an expectational working/living wage). The actual work in of itself is not bad and easy to pick up once ample training is provided but the work load can at times (depending on who you're rostered to work with) be overwhelming and demanding. Management doesn't like employees saying "no" even if it goes against hospital policy and will often encourage you to go against your better judgement as well as loading up clinic schedules to the point where there's no leverage for changes/amendments. Over all if you don't mind being a part of a mindless clique in order to have a healthy and productive working environment, it's an alright place to work but personally I would not recommended.
16 January 2020
Thanks for taking the time to express your concerns. We’re sorry to hear you had a negative experience. We work hard to ensure our management team foster a positive working culture and will continue to provide training in this area.
Bullying Culture. Unsafe for patients
Would not recommend anyone to work here. The management don't care about patients or staff. The bullying is relentless, despite complaints the individuals (who are all related or friends) are never reprimanded, and some even promoted, who in turn promote their friends and partners! Its nepotism at its finest!
Any safety issues are dismissed, and if you even consider taking it further you are treated with retaliation from management.

After many years working within the profession I have never worked at such a toxic environment, with so many willing to accept the bullying, turn a blind eye to it, and to all the genuine patient, and staff safety concerns.

I left behind some good friends who try their hardest but sadly I couldn't stand by any longer knowing I would not be happy recommending any friend or family member in need of surgery. its a disaster waiting to happen, patient safety, staff safety and my professional registration is more important to me.

My advise, stay clear! This place should come with a warning. If you want to risk your happiness, registration, morals and professional integrity then by all means apply!
10 January 2020
Hello and thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. We’re sorry to hear you had a negative experience. We work hard to ensure our management team foster a positive working culture and continue to provide training in this area.
The first place in my nursing career felt unwelcomed
The worst place to work, felt unwelcomed, no structured system, things change daily. No development offered and one can easily loose skills. I'm glad I quickly realized that I was losing my skills. Some of the nursing staff are so lazy.
Pros
A few lovely staff
Cons
Long hours, low pay
8 January 2020
Thanks for taking the time to express your concerns. We are sorry to hear you felt unwelcomed. We do our very best to retain our team members and support their growth and development offering subsidised courses to enhance skills. We are continuing to make improvements in this area and will take onboard your feedback to help us develop.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spire Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9