Spire Healthcare Employee Reviews

Wonderful surroundings and familial atmosphere
Bank Administrator (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire11 October 2018
I worked on and off at Spire Leeds for several years and wish I could go back! The staff across all departments were always friendly to me and the grounds were lovely. I didn't have a large amount of contact with senior management but they were always lovely to me and made an effort to say hello and check in on me whenever I came back to work. They seem very well liked all round, nice touches to make the staff feel valued like the HD gifting Easter eggs and advent calendars. I don't think that happens at other hospitals in the group (certainly not the NHS!) and I think the HD funds it out of her own pocket too! The hospital in general feels like a family with good open door policies. Food is also lovely. Uniform feels very smart and professional and promotes equality as everyone wears the same. Unfortunately moved away from Leeds but wish I could return!
Pros
Familial atmosphere, lovely grounds, good non-monetary perks (Easter eggs!)
Cons
Too far away from my new house!
Nice place to work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire11 October 2018
I have worked at Spire Leeds for several years and find it a lovely place to work - my colleagues are friends as well as colleagues and we often socialise outside of work. The hospital has a real family feel to it - everyone cares about each other. I love the free car parking and find all the management team approachable and friendly.
Pros
Free car parking, staff restaurant, foxes and squirrels in gardens
Feels like a family
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Spire Leeds10 October 2018
I worked at Spire Leeds Hospital fro 25 years before retiring this year and loved every minute of it. In fact I loved it so much that I am returning as a volunteer. The management team are really supportive and their doors are always open. Everyone knows everyone else and has a common goal- to be the best hospital in the area. I would highly recommend it as a great place to work.
Pros
Free parking, great food
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire8 October 2018
Nightmare
Nurse (Former Employee) –  London6 October 2018
Didnt deserve even one star, worse company to work with. They even support bullies. Loads of non sense paper works. Considering a private hospital but the service is worse than NHS. Benefits is rubbish, much better working in NHS. Avoid before even try. Not a safe place to work.
Private hospitals
Hospital Porter (Current Employee) –  Harpenden, Hertfordshire27 September 2018
Some weeks are extremly busy whilst other weeks are extremly quiet, can be an interesting job but becomes monotonous, needs to be more challenging lots of change of staff in recent weeks
I can actually do my job!
Physiotherapist (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire22 September 2018
Since joining Spire it has enabled me to actually be the best in my clinical role as it allows me time to spend with my patients instead of being overrun on a “conveyerbelt” system.
It is a business so yes there are pressures from top management - but to me, that’s the reality of private healthcare vs the nhs.
Since moving to Spire my work/life balance has vastly improved.
Yes there may be flaws, and yes it may not be perfect. But for me it was the best decision. And I would recommend others to try it for themselves if the job description sounds right for them! or pop in and speak to current staff working there and form your own opinion.
Pros
Work life balance/ environment/ time to be a good clinician to my patients.
Poor morale, bullying culture, non existent leadership
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Regency Macclesfield13 September 2018
Over worked and under payed
Really bad bullying culture which is ignored by management - what is left of the management team !
Staff leaving without jobs to go to - speaks volumes
Pros
Cons
It’s a job
Just awful
Med Sec (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire1 September 2018
Before deciding to leave myself, I saw so many genuinely lovely people leave...all the liars, bullies and inexperienced staff remained. As a result of the incompetence of managers to actually deal with problems, the workloads spiral out of control. Very sad situation this place has got into. You could have been amazing...
Pros
Modern building
Cons
Unpleasant work colleagues
Awful place to work
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Abergele, Conwy15 August 2018
The job is way too stressful and busy. Running around all day with no time to catch up, awkward shift times, very poor pay, patients not given a nice service because reception staff are too busy doing admin tasks, disorganised and hectic work environment.
Pros
Decent uniform provided
Cons
Bad pay, hectic, too much admin, stressed staff, bad shift times, way too busy, not enough staff.
Do not work for Spire!
Non Clinical (Former Employee) –  Hull8 August 2018
Poor management, staff turnover incredibly high, no opportunities to progress, bullying environment, awful.

The management and the culture are the main reasons I would not recommend anyone to work for Spire.

The managers expect everything from you with nothing in return, and you are never thanked for having to continuously go the extra mile.

The atmosphere within the whole company is awful, amongst both admin and clinical departments.

Staff turnover is incredibly high.
Pros
Free parking, free health insurance
Cons
Poor management, poor job satisfaction, poor salary
Poor Managment and poor pay
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh20 July 2018
Already been said. The managers are unprofessional and have no managerial skills. Unpleasant environment with lots of back stabbing. Shocking pay for what’s expected. Under stafffing is also a big problem as people don’t stay in the job long. So high turn over of staff.
Pros
Free parking, coffee
Cons
Pay
Disinterested management who place no value on loyalty and good service
Bank staff (Former Employee) –  Spire Little Aston Hospital18 July 2018
Not a good place to work. Runs on bank staff who are expected to behave as contracted staff but without any perks or benefits at all. Management are totally disinterested and unapproachable if bank staff have problems. After over 12 years of service I had to get Head Office involved to even get the Hospital Director to speak to me regarding an issue with a new policy which had changed the goalposts regarding the way I was allowed to work. Bank staff do not have recourse to a grievance procedure either - like it or lump is the attitude that all levels of management seem to take. Work here at your peril - loyalty and good service mean absolutely nothing.
Great work environment
JUNIOR LAB TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 July 2018
A great environment to work in and i thoroughly enjoyed it. Every week i was often given a new task to do and I never got bored. Lovely staff and I always felt welcome.
Pros
great work experience
Cons
none.
Demanding and not very employee focused
Patient services assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester2 July 2018
Manager's were not interested in employees problems and queries; long and boring shifts but the pay was very good; especially for a young employee. Very repetitive shifts.
A company in development where you can have an impact
Central Operations (Former Employee) –  London27 June 2018
Spire is an interesting and progressive company. To be successful you need to be resilient and willing to make your role and surrounding processes your own.
Pros
Salary and opportunities
Cons
Frequent management change
Very busy place of work
Medical Records Officer (Current Employee) –  London26 June 2018
One is very busy from the start of the day till the end. There is a breakfast break in the morning where you are provided with toast and tea or coffee. There is a lot of filing that takes place and one needs to be accurate so as not to be in violation of the Data protection act. Teamwork and communication is a must. The hardest part of the job is not having the time to complete all the necessary workload within the normal work day. There is light banter among colleagues and seeing everyone complete their work and leave the office on time is gratifying.
Productive, Friendly and Fun Place
Bank Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harpenden25 June 2018
Amazing, positive and fun atmosphere with challenging tasks everyday and learning new things about Hospital Pharmacy and Team work and Management in the hospital and providing best Patient care and service in the Hospital.
Pros
Cheap Lunches, Friendly Staff
Cons
Na
Intense place to work
Staff (Former Employee) –  Spire Nottingham16 June 2018
Spire Nottingham:
The staff are good. The Senior Management is poor. This seem to stem from lack people skill and senior managers being promoted too quickly up the ranks. Some steps have been missed. This is causing a culture of fear and uncertainty amongst staff. High staff turnover rate. HR is very busy.
Pros
Free parking. Has the potential to be a better place to work
Cons
Very poor senior management team.
Nice place to work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Little Aston, Staffordshire13 June 2018
Very nice place to work.
The most enjoyable part to the job is how friendly all the staff are, which makes the job easier.
Feel fully supported by the senior management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spire Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8