Spire Healthcare Employee Reviews

Ok place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent30 December 2018
Each hospital is independent and run differently. The company culture really depends on culture/personality of the hospital director. The staff are fantastic and work really hard and are loyal to the hospital they work for. But the pressure to reduce costs and return profits for investors has had a negative effect on the culture.
Pros
Fantastic staff that are loyal and take a pride in their hospital
Cons
Management that only focus on the bottom line
Official response from Spire Healthcare
14 January 2019

Hi there thank you for your review and feedback about your experience at a Spire Healthcare hospital.

The key to our success is our people, so we’re glad to learn that you enjoyed working some brilliant people.

We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t love the company culture. As for hospital management, we strive to ensure that our management fosters a positive working culture, and we will continue to provide training in this area to ensure that managers act in accordance with our values.

Five star reviews are so fake.
Can't write due to backlash (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire23 October 2018
I've joined Spire a while ago. My first thoughts were very positive and was glad to see so many professionals. Few months down the line and some of the characters are unbelievable. Made up managers without managing skills. Everything looks so great on the cover but inside there are so many incompetencies. Clinical staff should stick to look after the patients not to managing people. Secondly, people just disappear without a notice. Apart from that, lack of support is a norm. Not sure if there is anything positive to write about this place. Can't see my future and progress in this place, at the moment.
Pros
Coffe for staff for a pound.
Cons
Poor management, micro management, lack of support and encouragement.
Soul destroying
Theatres (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire16 October 2018
Great if you don't mind the odd witch hunt now and again. Lots of people work their backsides off but never receive any recognition but when it comes to any errors then suddenly all of the hard work goes out of the window. It is very much about pinning the blame on individuals so to avoid any consequence for themselves, when I say they I mean the management.

Would not recommend working here if you value your mental health.
Micro Management/Seriously basic pay only just over £13k
Accounts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire15 January 2019
You are assigned a "senior" who basically rolls their eyes and clicks their tongue when they train you or whenever you ask for help or make a mistake as they have done this so many times before so they think they are a god send to the company. You are constantly on the phone and are somehow expected to process over 300 invoices a day! Atmosphere is more like school rather than office as your senior is constantly breathing down your neck. You have to stay back every month end to process every single invoices with no extra pay. The turnover rate is so high yet management appears to not do anything to rectify it. You also have to let people in and out the building everytime the buzzer goes off while the receptionists don't do anything.
Pros
There is a lift inside building.
Cons
Salary, People, Job. Everything
Nice place to work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire11 October 2018
I have worked at Spire Leeds for several years and find it a lovely place to work - my colleagues are friends as well as colleagues and we often socialise outside of work. The hospital has a real family feel to it - everyone cares about each other. I love the free car parking and find all the management team approachable and friendly.
Pros
Free car parking, staff restaurant, foxes and squirrels in gardens
Feels like a family
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Spire Leeds10 October 2018
I worked at Spire Leeds Hospital fro 25 years before retiring this year and loved every minute of it. In fact I loved it so much that I am returning as a volunteer. The management team are really supportive and their doors are always open. Everyone knows everyone else and has a common goal- to be the best hospital in the area. I would highly recommend it as a great place to work.
Pros
Free parking, great food
Poor salary and bullying
Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  Regency19 January 2019
Being a graduate of 2 years and working in a clinical field I expected more than the peanuts that they paid. Also they have a really bad culture of bullying all the way from the hospital director, hospital matron and the middle managers. I would never go back to work there again. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Bullying, poor salary
I can actually do my job!
Physiotherapist (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire22 September 2018
Since joining Spire it has enabled me to actually be the best in my clinical role as it allows me time to spend with my patients instead of being overrun on a “conveyerbelt” system.
It is a business so yes there are pressures from top management - but to me, that’s the reality of private healthcare vs the nhs.
Since moving to Spire my work/life balance has vastly improved.
Yes there may be flaws, and yes it may not be perfect. But for me it was the best decision. And I would recommend others to try it for themselves if the job description sounds right for them! or pop in and speak to current staff working there and form your own opinion.
Pros
Work life balance/ environment/ time to be a good clinician to my patients.
Do not work for Spire!
Non Clinical (Former Employee) –  Hull8 August 2018
Poor management, staff turnover incredibly high, no opportunities to progress, bullying environment, awful.

The management and the culture are the main reasons I would not recommend anyone to work for Spire.

The managers expect everything from you with nothing in return, and you are never thanked for having to continuously go the extra mile.

The atmosphere within the whole company is awful, amongst both admin and clinical departments.

Staff turnover is incredibly high.
Pros
Free parking, free health insurance
Cons
Poor management, poor job satisfaction, poor salary
Just awful
Med Sec (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire1 September 2018
Before deciding to leave myself, I saw so many genuinely lovely people leave...all the liars, bullies and inexperienced staff remained. As a result of the incompetence of managers to actually deal with problems, the workloads spiral out of control. Very sad situation this place has got into. You could have been amazing...
Pros
Modern building
Cons
Unpleasant work colleagues
Awful place to work
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Abergele, Conwy15 August 2018
The job is way too stressful and busy. Running around all day with no time to catch up, awkward shift times, very poor pay, patients not given a nice service because reception staff are too busy doing admin tasks, disorganised and hectic work environment.
Pros
Decent uniform provided
Cons
Bad pay, hectic, too much admin, stressed staff, bad shift times, way too busy, not enough staff.
Not so great as they want to believe they are!
Lead physicist (Former Employee) –  Bristol Oncology Centre, South West28 November 2018
Unable to fulfil the targets they set themselves.
They do not listen to the Consultants/specialists they employ.
Arrogant management focused on profit margins at the expense of employment values.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
work ethics
Official response from Spire Healthcare
3 December 2018

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. At Spire, it’s our mission to bring together the best people who are dedicated to developing excellent clinical environments and delivering the highest quality patient care. We value each and every colleague and we’re sorry to hear that your experience of working at Spire fell below our standard. We strive to ensure that our management fosters a positive working culture, with an emphasis on being open and accessible to all colleagues. We realise that an organisation of our size requires constant management development, and we will continue to provide training in this area to ensure that managers act in accordance with our values.
We would like to look into this particular issue and would welcome the opportunity to talk to you about it further. Please email reviews@spirehealthcare.com directly and we can reach out to you.

Disinterested management who place no value on loyalty and good service
Bank staff (Former Employee) –  Spire Little Aston Hospital18 July 2018
Not a good place to work. Runs on bank staff who are expected to behave as contracted staff but without any perks or benefits at all. Management are totally disinterested and unapproachable if bank staff have problems. After over 12 years of service I had to get Head Office involved to even get the Hospital Director to speak to me regarding an issue with a new policy which had changed the goalposts regarding the way I was allowed to work. Bank staff do not have recourse to a grievance procedure either - like it or lump is the attitude that all levels of management seem to take. Work here at your peril - loyalty and good service mean absolutely nothing.
Nightmare
Nurse (Former Employee) –  London6 October 2018
Didnt deserve even one star, worse company to work with. They even support bullies. Loads of non sense paper works. Considering a private hospital but the service is worse than NHS. Benefits is rubbish, much better working in NHS. Avoid before even try. Not a safe place to work.
Wonderful surroundings and familial atmosphere
Bank Administrator (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire11 October 2018
I worked on and off at Spire Leeds for several years and wish I could go back! The staff across all departments were always friendly to me and the grounds were lovely. I didn't have a large amount of contact with senior management but they were always lovely to me and made an effort to say hello and check in on me whenever I came back to work. They seem very well liked all round, nice touches to make the staff feel valued like the HD gifting Easter eggs and advent calendars. I don't think that happens at other hospitals in the group (certainly not the NHS!) and I think the HD funds it out of her own pocket too! The hospital in general feels like a family with good open door policies. Food is also lovely. Uniform feels very smart and professional and promotes equality as everyone wears the same. Unfortunately moved away from Leeds but wish I could return!
Pros
Familial atmosphere, lovely grounds, good non-monetary perks (Easter eggs!)
Cons
Too far away from my new house!
Very busy place of work
Medical Records Officer (Current Employee) –  London26 June 2018
One is very busy from the start of the day till the end. There is a breakfast break in the morning where you are provided with toast and tea or coffee. There is a lot of filing that takes place and one needs to be accurate so as not to be in violation of the Data protection act. Teamwork and communication is a must. The hardest part of the job is not having the time to complete all the necessary workload within the normal work day. There is light banter among colleagues and seeing everyone complete their work and leave the office on time is gratifying.
High focus on quality as opposed to profit
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich18 October 2018
I have never seen a company so dedicated to both the service it provides as well as the staff who work for them. Staff are encouraged and rewarded for going the extra mile for the patient.
Poor Managment and poor pay
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh20 July 2018
Already been said. The managers are unprofessional and have no managerial skills. Unpleasant environment with lots of back stabbing. Shocking pay for what’s expected. Under stafffing is also a big problem as people don’t stay in the job long. So high turn over of staff.
Pros
Free parking, coffee
Cons
Pay
Intense place to work
Staff (Former Employee) –  Spire Nottingham16 June 2018
Spire Nottingham:
The staff are good. The Senior Management is poor. This seem to stem from lack people skill and senior managers being promoted too quickly up the ranks. Some steps have been missed. This is causing a culture of fear and uncertainty amongst staff. High staff turnover rate. HR is very busy.
Pros
Free parking. Has the potential to be a better place to work
Cons
Very poor senior management team.
Poor morale, bullying culture, non existent leadership
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Regency Macclesfield13 September 2018
Over worked and under payed
Really bad bullying culture which is ignored by management - what is left of the management team !
Staff leaving without jobs to go to - speaks volumes
Pros
Cons
It’s a job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spire Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8