Play YouTube video button

Speedy Hire PLC Employee Reviews

Featured review
Speedy Hire PLC selected this as a representative review
Current delivery driver Southwark London
Delivery Driver Multi Drop (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 October 2019
This is by far the best company I have worked for they are kind understanding caring helpful good communicators and also loads of training that was more than beneficial

I’m glad I have a job here and would recommend others to follow ..
great environment to work in
Fitter (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow20 May 2017
great environment to be working in, with the option to progress your knowledge into heavy plant and the rail sector, it could be a great place to work
Very busy
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bristol18 April 2017
I really enjoyed my time working with Speedy as it was very busy so I always had something to do and I really enjoyed what I did. I met so many lovely people during my time and felt like I really fitted in.
Pros
Amazing people
not good or bad
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartford, Kent25 March 2017
Speedy hire is very busy and has many business customers the hours can be long and the pay is a bit low but the company is a good place to work good training free uniform
Pros
no weekend working
Cons
low pay no chance of promotion
No job security
Manager (Former Employee) –  East Midlands21 March 2017
General workforce great, but management are untrustworthy and job security is non existent as ' changes' are always happening. No real benefits as these were gradually taken away. No praise from higher management and no direction from them. False promises.

The only real good thing about the job is the customers. shame they are not treated with the respect they deserve.
Pros
normal level staff great bunch
Cons
long hours, poor management, no job security
fast paced, very intense, busy place to work, some highs and some lows on a daily basis, great bunch of people to work with
Lifting Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol20 February 2017
Very fast paced, intense industry to work in. Targets and performances are monitored to ensure the revenue is in the right place.
Very customer focussed and customer friemdly.
Only apply if you're perfect
CSE (Former Employee) –  Haydock, Merseyside15 January 2017
The salary is good and most people are friendly but the management are so spread thin that you are left to fend for yourself. They demonise mistakes and they don't care if you've only just started. You're expected to know everything after shadowing someone for a week, which is an impossible task considering the vast stock they carry.

Apply if you know someone there who can help otherwise have won fighting the wolves.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No support
working
Receptionist- filling (Former Employee) –  isleworth6 January 2017
i would get up at 6.30am and be in work for 7.30am i would answer the voicemails that had been left then start by answering the phone and dealing with customers i would in the mean time when i got a chance go and do the filling have lunch and start answering the telephone again writting up contracts to be delivered and collected the next day, at the end of the day about 4.45pm i would cash up work out the KPI's for the day and lock up (sometimes) and go home.
Pros
very nice work place
Cons
early mornings
workplace
Dustman (Former Employee) –  East London, Greater London21 December 2016
My days started early at 6.00am as I was a dustman but finished at 1 which was very convenient for me.
Winter was cold which weren't very nice but trying to keep the environment clean and safe needs to be done regardless.
Not worth the risk
Hire Desk Controller (Former Employee) –  Perth11 December 2016
Became a company only interested in numbers, little or no understanding of work/life balance and happy to drive anyone out who didn't fit their idea of what an employee should be. Would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Not a good place to work
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Warrington20 November 2016
Managemnet clueless and always out to try and sack you! No overtime and the kit is extremely old. I would not recommend anybody to work here.
Productive and challenging.
Plant tool electrical engineer. (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire10 October 2016
Everyday was challenging, different equipment to repair and test etc. Co- workers good teamwork, but management didn't understand how repair equipment or test. Management so out of touch with staff, expect K Pi's and targets. But equipment rushed out and breaks down on site, not repaired properly. Seen as a number, not a person and no appreciation for doing a good job etc. A lot of unskilled people telling skilled workers how to do there job and not customer focus. Plus loads of fed up staff, moral was low etc. A lot of people losing jobs, no pay rises, but still have overtime and management driving around in expensive company cars, even though the company is trying to save money etc.
Pros
Good teamworkers.
Cons
No appreiciation for hard work etc.
Ground level Managments integrity is massively questionable.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tamworth6 October 2016
They have production software that fails to reflect the true working practices witnessed. Certain management at shop floor level have zero people skills. Although unprovable, one discussion I had told of an area manager who instructed someone to reprimand a woman worker and 'make sure she cries'. In twelve months I had no direct professional interaction regarding what was expected of me, which made it impossible to consider approaches. There is one employee who is left unreprimanded despite aggressively arguing with younger workers and threateningly pointing a screwdriver at them whilst saying 'don't you effin walk away from me' . But as he is in the circle of the suspect floor management nothing was done. What I learned was that Speedy Assett Services' ground level management are massively underskilled whilst having the power to hire and fire. Workforce issues and infighting are ignored for the most part. Furthermore, the level of waste in terms of asset repairs is astonishing. They have everything they need to maintain existing stock,but prefer to 'send it to auction'. I have at times found brand new parts stuffed away in the scrap bins, which I returned to stores.
There is no logical system that considers the financial aspects of the company or it's shareholders, instead there is a focus on individual percentages, which is capable of manipulation to suit whichever scenario demands it. I could add plenty more issues that are contributing to the companies failings, such as no official clocking in and out system, your timekeeping is measured by the security access entry system,
  more... something they use against people they do not favour. My level of education, thankfully, means I have a lot of working opportunities that surpass this companies ethos, so bitterness and all those types of potential accusations levelled toward an ex employee, in this case do not count.  less
Pros
It is possible to stand at your bench and play with your phone for as long as you want, just cover your percentages
Cons
Dull, dark workshop, suspect ignorant management
Key account business and development
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Mid Kent9 August 2016
A good days work with long hours often 12-14 hour days. I was leaving home at 5am every morning. I mostly had key accounts to build business with. It was a great role being able to build solid, trusty accounts and developing the area. There was autonomy in the role but regular director meetings would take place to review performance which was always good and great for feedback.

I achieved over 120% of my annual targets regularly.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
Long hours and bonuses relied on other depots being a success
Driver (Current Employee) –  Manchester8 August 2016
Working at speedy hire is a fun place and enjoyable workplace, great people to be around very character individuals. Enjoy going to work every day with a lot of confidence throughout the day with structural ongoing partnership great managers throughout the business. I have picked up on a lot of different things within the job, up to now i have learned alot being on the road everyay, within the early mornings in the city centre, to birmingham and lots of other locations throughout the north west region.
Fun work place , could off been ran better
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Warrington16 July 2016
Good company to work for . benefits great but could of been managed better , some times rush decisions and untrained people slowed down production
Pros
big comapany, benifits
Cons
low wage, management
work enviroment good , but structure failing
Hire controller (Current Employee) –  cardiff13 July 2016
A great place to work with team work and individual one to one . But strusture needs to be updated and simplified .
Advancement is a promise but not neccessarly happening .
Pros
hours good
Cons
pay poor
Avoid Liverpool
Local Customer (Former Employee) –  Merseyside30 June 2016
Should be a good company to work for and at times it can give that impression. Money isn't great but the job is relatively secure and most things are not beyond the average person, very good at training people although this can depend on who's doing the course, some external courses are 100% while others are very poor.
Big problem though is managers and their ability to manage a depot, some really good people have left the company over the last 5 years, some of whom have been vastly experienced in the hire industry.

If you're from Liverpool forget it as the depot is the worst in the company, it's not the lads who deliver or see to you in the warehouse it's the office staff. Quite frankly they have the worst attitude of any Speedy depot in Britain, they are disorganised and ignorant in the extreme, from ignoring you at the counter to blaming everyone else but themselves when it goes wrong, they even ignore you when you have an issue. They have a manager who is so inept it beggars belief and his under manager in tools has the charisma of concrete block. Apparently the general manager spends more time on the phone talking about playing golf than he does helping customers and is clueless about the equipment.
We've noticed the high turnover of drivers there and we hear some stories about the way the staff are treated that we'd never want to work in that depot. We even hear tales from other Speedy depots that their drivers hate going to Liverpool, that says it all.

So we'd avoid Liverpool, but Speedy can offer on paper at least an interesting career for anyone looking
  more... to get into the hire side of the construction industry, or at least a leg up the ladder.  less
Pros
Free coffee when the machine works! Good training offered, drivers and warehouse lads always helpful
Cons
Be prepared to be miserable if you take a job in Liverpool
workplace
National Out of Hours Co-Ordinator (Former Employee) –  Warrington13 June 2016
speedy is a good place to work, there is support for training and development and plenty of places to go to get information
Pros
subsidised canteen
Cons
lots of polotics
Don't do it
Service Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow10 May 2016
The place is full off jobsworths, poor pay, full off back stabbers and crawlers.. The only people that benefit at speedy are the many directors and area managers who are all ex salesman who don't know anything about the hire business.
Pros
Cons
Long hours.. Poor pay
former employee
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  London29 April 2016
5 day induction in haydock then thrown in the deepend great bunch of team members middle management very poor doublestandard poor work ethic work practices

Kit to a good standard poor infratucture all focus is on profit at the expense of work life balance
Pros
great team members to work with
Cons
unrealistic expectations, double standards dis jointed engagement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Speedy Hire PLC. Our community is ready to answer.