Specsavers Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Llanelli, Carmarthenshire12 August 2018
Terrible place to work. No training given at all. Money is awful. Expected to work most weekends. When you ask for time off it’s a challenge. Work hard but that’s never good enough. Managers think they are better than everyone else and can get away with everything and anything. Any issues never get resolved as managers never thing they haven’t done anything wrong and for some reason the directors don’t see how badly managed the place it and what the manager gets away with. Stay away from here!!
A mixed bag overall.
Assistant Manager (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  England2 August 2018
I've worked for Specsavers in various roles from trainee lab technician to assistant store manager and have to say that my experience has been varied to say the least.

The knowledge and experience you gain is quick and not often in depth as stores are so short staffed you need to learn quickly and get going. Because of this, mistakes happen - and then the directors and management are quick to penalise but not necessary do anything to improve.

The franchise model is awful in my humble opinion. It encourages directors to be as stingy and tight as they can possible be. Often paying salaries of £13,000-£15,000 for optical assistants and £17,000-£19,000 for managers; which is generally pretty shocking.

You'll definitely enjoy some of your colleagues and even some patients - but remember that people are always out for themselves and Specsavers as a company does nothing to dispute that fact.

After 9 years, I've finally handed my notice in for the final time and will not be looking back.
Pros
Nothing hugely pro..
Cons
Harsh management, lack of training, tight directors
Good workplace
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Chorley1 August 2018
This was a good place to work as the hours was convenient for myself and the wage was good to. I enjoyed the people I worked with and it was a fun environment however I had to leave to due to un forscene circumstances.
Pros
Good bonus scheme
Cons
No wage slips presented
Awful
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London29 July 2018
job is easy and simple just repetitive
People in management are annoying and think they are above you when theyre not just coz they spent nearly their whole life licking shoes to get where they are overall specsavers is the worst optical place to work in I didn't enjoy it they just want to use and make you work all the boring and dead jobs that no one wants to do
Secure employment
Manager/Hearing Aid Dispenser (Current Employee) –  Lancashire25 July 2018
Working day in clinic is a fast paced one and you are constantly on the go. Good prospects to advance in your career and become a Hearcare Director if you so wish
Pros
Training is paid for by the company and is on going
Cons
Fast paced and clinic times are tight
alright
Optical consultant (Former Employee) –  Sutton, Greater London25 July 2018
no security there was long hours
syudegbts treated differently
very stressfulCusfomer very treatesd amazing even if there was racial slur thrown at us we had togive customers rights
Pros
Cons
long nhours
Fun workplace
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dagenham Heathway22 July 2018
A typical day at Specsavers would include:
At the start of the day me and my colleagues would sit in the waiting area with our manages and go through today's figures and problems, this is called "Hudle".
After, we open the shop and me and my colleagues will attend to customers and help them with their problems and also prepare them for their tests to help the opticians.
Alternatively, I myself would go down to the sorting office to match peoples glasses with their files and store them in the appropriate spaces and in addition to this, I would also become the main point of contact for all of my colleagues and patents for resolving any problems that they may have. This part of my job requires much dedication and focus in order to complete the tasks properly as well as the fact that mistakes cannot be made as I am also directly negotiating with external companies such as the NHS, IGS, Nationwide, Sussex optical glazing services and more. Though this is the hardest part of my job, it is also most certainly the most enjoyable part of it.
Pros
Employee benefits such as discounts especially for me due to my very high prescription.
Cons
When the store closes, "checklist" needs to be done yet we are no longer paid and checklist can take up to 30 minutes
Interesting and challenging workplace.
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire18 July 2018
Challenging role with lots of room for progression. The management isn’t the best and can be intimidating. Overall Specsavers is a good company to work for.
Not the best experience
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside18 July 2018
I worked as Optical assistant for Specsavers St Helens and as a new starter I was thrown in at the deep end and overall coped well.
The environment is non stop busy but that is not a bad thing.
However I felt that very little time was given to train me and when I performed pre eye tests I would always check with a optician as I did not want to take chances with someone's eye health.
However this is where I felt disappointed, a lot of the higher up opticians themselves seemed to find it inconvenient to take the time with me and reacted like it was a inconvenience.
This is very offputting and disappointing to any new starter as you expect support in the early stages of which there was very little.

The Head of the store was a very nice man and seemed to take pride in what they provided and was helpful however it is a shame that same attitude was not taken up by his fellow opticians and staff.
Hence I left as I felt isolated and saw things like staff bad mouthing customers when their backs was turned.
It was not the experience I expected it to be.

It does what it says on the tin for customers but it is not the best place to work.
Pros
Quality goods, eye care standard high
Cons
Lack of training, miserable working environment and low pay for stressful hours
productive
Personal Assistant to Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester17 July 2018
I mostly enjoyed working here , the people were friendly and easy to get along with. I worked as a personal assistant and therefore did alot of admin work mainly.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
long days
Long hours unsociable
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Altrincham17 July 2018
I worked for 3 years as admin. Every weekend and every bank holiday start time is 8.40 finish at 5.45 with 45 mins for break they only pay minimum wage laughable for admin job. My work colleges and my manager was what kept me there so long. they were a fantastic bunch to work with and we all got each other through the bad days. They cannot retain staff due to lack of pay and staff shortage. It’s a shame about the pay and hours if they done something about it it would be a much better place to work
Pros
Free glasses and contact lenses
Cons
Long hours minimum wage
potential to develop but negatives as well
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nailsea, Bristol17 July 2018
I can't say anything too bad about specsavers, I enjoyed my time there and the training and support from Management were brilliant.

My only problem was having to work EVERY weekend. There were plenty of staff members to enable us all to do a weekend on then a weekend off but management never seemed to take that on board.

Also you start off as a trainee and you are on appalling money and even after you have gained a huge amount of experience this didnt seem to increase unless you moved up position.
Pros
great training and discounts
Cons
poor pay and constant weekends
dispensing assitant
Dispensing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex16 July 2018
lovely staff
hardest part of job not being paid enough, the store can get very busy and not enough staff to support that
low wages
not enough training
Fast, but fun
Optical Assistant - APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  Runcorn, Cheshire14 July 2018
Working here was a challenge but a fun one at that. The customers you meet are always different and the staff are always delightful and you can make quick friends with both staff and customers.
Pros
Free sight test
Fun place to work
Contact Lens Supervisor (Current Employee) –  South East London, Greater London12 July 2018
Salary not great considering the amount of training and things you have to know in order to do your job properly. Always short staffed so colleagues get stressed
Pros
Cheaper glasses!
Cons
Pay
Dont work for them
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol12 July 2018
Management dont respect their staff, the pay is not good for the amount of work we do, once they dont like you they will find a way to get rid of you.
Brilliant
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longton, Staffordshire10 July 2018
good working environment with management staff who are always there too help. Good benefits also. Training available in all aspects of the store. Good development programme.
An ever evolving and exciting place to work
Audiologist (Current Employee) –  Hampshire6 July 2018
Specsavers is a fantastic place to work with plenty of training and career development available. Yes, the clinics are busy but days fly by. If you work hard you will be rewarded.
Pros
Friendly teams, decent salary, career opportunities
Cons
If you don’t want to work hard then look elsewhere
Friendly environment
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire1 July 2018
Working for Specsavers involves a lot of direct contact with customers of all ages, helping with their queries which can be difficult for someone who might not want a person-orientated job.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Average pay
very interesting and productive
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Accrington28 June 2018
The management in the store was very polite and kind, they understood the clients problems and were able to sole the problems. The experience i had was very interesting but i did not enjoy as much because i was only there to observe and volunteer.
Pros
lunches
Cons
sometimes i had nothing to do

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Specsavers. Our community is ready to answer.