Specsavers Employee Reviews

unpleasant, bad managment and stressful
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside1 February 2018
Not a nice place to work!! Management treat you like your nothing. Underpaid, for the amount of work an stress there is in this job role. Expect you do to do stuff at home, when the job itself is stressful enough. Didnt enjoy my time there at all. Oh and management don't help you with anything!! Very unhelpful managers.
Pros
Stressful and unpleasant working environment
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farnham28 January 2018
Was a great place to work to start with but as time progressed it became a very unpleasant working environment with a lot of stress. By the time I decided to leave my position the only good thing about the store was a couple other members of the team. The store lacked structure and had a massive turnover of staff due to this.
Pros
Team
Cons
Everything else
Productive and well organised
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellingborough, Northamptonshire25 January 2018
Friendly team..learn on the job. Respectable management team very understandable. Holiday hoirs great and flexible hours and shift pattern when discussed. Option to further career available
Pros
Discount glasses
It's okay.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire24 January 2018
I worked at the Bedford branch for less than a year, Typical day was busy 80% of the week. Management were okay, but more who you know not what you know.
I wouldn't personally go back to working here as I found it quite stressful and actually took leave for my mental health.
Training was to standard and information you probably won't ever forget.
I enjoyed being asked to help merchandising with one of my colleagues and doing the kids days or frames launches.
Hardest was working under management were they weren't really managerial.
Pros
Ethos and team
Cons
management
Poorly Managed, over worked and stressfull
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire21 January 2018
Overall, It was an experience working here, you do learn a lot, however its not somewhere id want to stay. Has been many times where staff members have cried because things get so full on... but, staff have been so nice and supportive. Customers are what you expect, demanding and rude.
Pay is minimum. So basically only work here if you NEED to.
All Specsavers cares about is money, figures, the daily sales, if you are not lifting your weight and you haven’t sold enough... trust me you will hear about it.
Constantly trying new technology to WOW the customer, when in reality, it’s creating longer waiting times.
So, yes, work here, if you dare! ;)
Pros
Good for fast retail experience.
Cons
Sooo stressful!!! Pay is minimum.
Enjoyable job. Good people
Adminstrator (Current Employee) –  Bognor Regis20 January 2018
Fast paced busy job, No two days the same. Good balance of individual and team work. Slow salary progression. No real chance for personal progression. No sick pay. No real flexibility with hours or holidays
Friendly culture
Learning & Development Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire18 January 2018
The company encourages flexible working and work/home life balance. Face paced environment but friendly and fun. Strong social committee with lots of events. Good communication about the business direction, successes and improvements and future plans.
Hired for wrong reason
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Guernsey, Guernsey18 January 2018
They needed a web developer with back end skills,
employed me to do front end work. the management didn't help or encourage development, or training.
failed.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
unreasonable
Educational
Optical Technician (Current Employee) –  Guernsey17 January 2018
A great new change of career choice.
A very well established company to work for.
A career I would happily stick with.
Many other opportunities available within the company.
Excellent
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton16 January 2018
Loves working here. Colleagues were amazing as were management. Pay isn't great but great fun and chances to learn and go on courses are there for you.
Pros
Company is great
Cons
Pay
A terrible compay to avoid at all costs
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  South East15 January 2018
An absolutely terrible company, especially one particular store in the South-East. The management lie, they treat you like dirt, and they have no care or compassion.
amazing
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh14 January 2018
such an amazing place to work. all staff memeber are lovely, great work atmosphere, no bad air, brilliant if your only just starting off, nice secure job with great benefits
Specsavers
Optical Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith, Greater London10 January 2018
Gave me a lot of confidence and belief in myself when I thought I had none and it let me see that its not that easy working in Optical Retail for those who haven't got the right skills.
Pros
Colleagues, Local
Cons
Stress
Amazing
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon9 January 2018
Brilliant company I moved working in the lab in Plymouth best job I ever had in my life if I could go back there I would in a heartbeat rate 5 star . .
Fun place to work
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester8 January 2018
A typical day at specsavers can either be busy, or not busy. But 9 times out of 10, it's very busy. Especially on a Saturday, which is a good thing because it keeps us all on our toes. Over the years I've learnt plenty of skills, which I can now use in later life. I think the hardest part of the job was probably learning all the new things, simply because I had never done anything like this before, memorising what I had to say. But once I had mastered that, I was perfectly fine. I think the thing i enjoy the most about my job is coming into work, meeting my colleagues, but also meeting new customers and providing them with the service they need.
Pros
Friendly
it was okay
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham7 January 2018
it was okay working their, i did enjoy some parts of the job but for what i was paid for it was not worth it, the training scheme where horrible and i was hardly taught anything learnt most things by myself
Pros
nothing
Cons
most of it
Quite an educational workplace
Optical assistant apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Luton5 January 2018
Working here allowed me to gain a lot of knowledge about the human eye and all the technicalities behind it. It was literally 'eye opening' and was a genuinely fun experience
not good
Clinical assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone4 January 2018
not good, director of the company was very unprofessional and paid very poor wages
a normal work day was very tiring
there was a good team and one good manager
Optics service
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex2 January 2018
My daily task revolves around welcoming patients to the store, finding out their needs, directing patients to relevant sections, helping out with frame styling or choice of frames, explaining various offers available, taking payments. answering customers telephone enquiry, and end of day tasks
Pros
60% staff discount on purchase, family and friends discounts.
Cons
No tea brakes just an hour lunch break
busy shop
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chepstow, Monmouthshire2 January 2018
I like working in Specsavers its very busy but can be rewarding, ive worked for 15 years at Chepstow and well known when seen around town.
I am a hard working person who will always try my best.
Pros
good company to work for