Specsavers Employee Reviews

Lots of training and knowledge required for little pay
Manager (Current Employee) –  Devizes17 June 2018
Enjoy the job and working with general public, however a lot of skill, knowledge and responsibility is required for the salary offered. Constantly given more and more targets to meet with no real incentive to encourage staff.
Supportive Workplace
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire17 June 2018
I originally worked at Specsavers for my work experience and was then offered a part-time job. Everyone is very supportive and they want you to do well. When I was doing exams they let me take time off due to the stress.

Furthermore, they train you so you can do as much as possible in the store. It's hard to not have a positive attitude as you're surrounded by people who really want to deliver the best customer experience. I'm very appreciative of the opportunity Specsavers gave me.
Pros
Great staff morale
Cons
low pay for part-time staff
Happy place to work
Locum Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  All over17 June 2018
Opticians a very friendly company to work for. The Staff are like family. We are always very busy everyday and always helping each other out. We learn new things everyday and meet new customers everyday. Talking and laughing with customers and choosing the right pair of glasses for their everyday need.
Pros
I enjoy talking and listening to people
Very busy inner city store
Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds14 June 2018
Managing the paperwork and minimising the running costs of a very busy glazing and surfacing lab doing upwards of 900 jobs a week managing five members of staff attending weekly management meetings
Cons
First into work last out of the door
Productive workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackburn12 June 2018
Excellent job opportunities with great progression. Lots of opportunities to develop interpersonal skills and very friendly team making the workplace a friendly environment.
Tiring job with little to no recognition
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Keighley, West Yorkshire6 June 2018
Busy branch, distracted from delivering my best customer service due to the large number of poorly trained new starters to replace recent high staff turnover. Recent changes to the management structure left me without the supervision, time and training support necessary for me to complete the course I was enrolled in. I'd often struggled to get away for lunch or breaks uninterrupted, leaving me feeling drained after I'd left work each day. Colleagues were a great bunch to work with but the new Director and supervisors made it impossible to remain at the branch through bullying.
Pros
Lots of structured development and training support when I started.
Cons
Support and development opportunities changed with a new management team.
Positive and close team
Optical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Belle Vale3 June 2018
In the work place all colleagues are close and always work together to ensure that everyone is happy and to let everyone know that we are all there to help each other out if ever needed too.
Productive and fun workplace
Lab technician (Current Employee) –  Newry27 May 2018
A typical day at work involves a morning team meeting where all the business details are discussed; what needs done, appointments etc.
then we return to the lab and carry out our daily routine; send orderes, contact patients etc.
lab has a really positive atmosphere and everyone works together as a team to manage the place and keep the pace.
hardest part of the job is when the place gets extremely busy and jobs are being mixed up or delayed.
most enjoyable part of the job are the team and the actual tasks that are beinh carried out in the lab. i enjoy doing deliveries and make glasses.
Pros
Lovely atmosphere
Cons
Not Enough hours
Sales Adviser
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow24 May 2018
I worked for Spescavers for just under a year as a sales adviser. I worked part time at the weekends whilst studying Optometry. It was a good team and the days were usually very busy.
Poor Management, Poor Salary
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport22 May 2018
Management weren't very good with people, They treat people like children. The whole workplace has a likeness to being in primary school. Don't work for these people!
Pros
Job Progression and possibility of obtaining qualifications
Cons
Long hours, Unfair Treatment
Fantastic place to work.
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Banbury, Oxfordshire21 May 2018
I've only worked there part time alongside studying but I have enjoyed every minute. It has enhanced my communication skills enormously by dealing with a variety of patients with very individual and sometimes complex needs. It has given me experience of being part of a large team and given me the ability to become flexible by supporting other areas of the team as and when needed. Sometimes due to Specsavers's popularity it can feel quite stressful managing large que's of people during peak times but no more stressful than it might be in other workplaces. The team at Banbury are fantastic and make it an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Good holiday allowance and supportive team.
Cons
Not all patients are understanding when there's sometimes mistakes or long waits.
Specsavers experience
Optical advisor (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London20 May 2018
Specsavers was a fun environment to work in as the management at the time was excellent! up to this day, the people working at the time still meet up with the previous director every now and then.
Pros
amazing colleagues
Cons
short staffed
productive and fun work place
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire18 May 2018
A company that welcomes talent and innovation. Appreciates new ideas and out of the box approaches. Very flexible and accommodating when it comes to business - personal needs.
Recognises hard work and awards accordingly.
Work colleagues are very helpful and always ready to support. Global experience with different cultures and time zones added a lot to my experience and knowledge.
Pros
easy access to shops in city centre
Great workplace
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, North Yorkshire15 May 2018
Specsavers was a very enjoyable and informing job. The training I was given was brilliant and i was always supported throughout. Working at Specsavers taught a lot about retail and I got to the point where I was always credited on my customer service.
Excellent
Trainee - school (Former Employee) –  Harrow, Greater London10 May 2018
This place is where you can increase your knowledge everyday and teach your self. All the staff are great to work with. There is never a delay in any department, hence everything is on time.
fab company to work for
manager (Former Employee) –  Thornbury10 May 2018
with specsavers you can join not knowing about anything and progress all the way to the top, full training is provided by the company and the way the business presents itself is superb
Stressful Workplace
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Nottingham9 May 2018
I felt that while working at Specsavers, the management system felt patronising and disrespectful. There was a clash between colleagues often and a lack of appreciation from the management.
Pros
Long Breaks
Cons
Low Pay
Seriously. I wouldn’t bother.
Apprentice Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands4 May 2018
I was an apprentice at a Specsavers store. If you’re wanting to be treated as though you’re a number and not a person I’d recommend working here. Management were terrible. I acctually left the apprenticeship as I was being bullied by a higher member of staff to the point I’d leave crying every night. Long hours, it takes the biscuit...

As an apprentice you should have 37.5 hours working, with 2.5 hours for coursework based in store.
I wasn’t given any time for coursework at all. Over the time I was there I was NOT sent on any of the out of store courses I needed to attend, to both develop on the apprenticeship but also for company policy.
After 6 months I hadn’t attended any, INCLUDING THE INTRODUCTION TO THE COMPANY?!?!

Customers can be lovely, but also can be rude. I loved the job and learning the roll. But (especially as an apprentice) they pay you a pitiful amount, for running around as the dogs body and being treated like a verbal punch bag by supervisors and other members of management and staff.

So. In conclusion, (for any people who are looking for an apprenticeship) they pay you a pitiful amount for treating you like dirt, they won’t send you on courses and/or give you time for coursework and then extend your probation period/apprenticeship so they can continue to pay you next to nothing for a qualification that you probably not get overall.

I can’t say this is ALL branches. But that was my experience.
Pros
Discount.
Cons
Long hours. Treated terribly by staff and management. Ect
its ok i suppose
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fishponds3 May 2018
Good as a stop gap but i wouldnt want to make a living working here. some of the people are rude and unwelcoming. good luck to anyone working in kingswood or fishponds
just a number
Clinical Receptionist meeting & greeting customers (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey1 May 2018
great team to work with but to much pressure and stress put on staff, salary is poor. encouraged to progress with the company , staff outings every year.
Pros
great team, free lunch on sat, staff get togethers
Cons
stress pressure and poor salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Specsavers. Our community is ready to answer.