Specsavers Employee Reviews

Shocking place to work for
Contact lens advisor (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire16 October 2018
Worked there may until now. Management is shocking! No opptunities and get rid of you for doing your job! Do not recommend at all! Forever having messages about work 24/7 a day even when not at work and there was clearly favourites within the store. I would recommend to stay away!
Pros
Cons
Everything!
Understaffed, poor wage, awful hours
Optical Assistant Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Cornwall15 October 2018
You are expected to learn on the job with out any guidance (I am doing an apprenticeship yet still get no help) they hire trainees to do on the job training for full wage i.e. the exact same as an apprentice yet they get paid double what you’re on. They’re understaffed and you work Saturdays and Sundays and work all hours literally having no life. Only positive is the people.
Pros
People
Cons
Everything else
Not Great. In Fact, Not Even Good.
Optical Assistant. (Former Employee) –  UK13 October 2018
The only way of summing this company up is to say DO NOT WORK THERE. Training is non-existent, you are expected to take note of what others are doing instead of being taught properly. I could write a book on the bad points but I refuse to waste my time.

Sorry people but my advice is to stay away from Specsavers completely.
Pros
Not working there.
Cons
Too many to list.
Understaffed and poorly run
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton13 October 2018
Imagine having 8-9 opticians testing eyes and only 4 or 5 dispensers available. That is this place. Leaving customers waiting, sometimes for up to 45 minutes because money is everything to them and customer service is not, yet moaned at colleagues because customer feedback was bad...
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Minimum wage, politics
Going from strength to strength
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Specsavers Keighley10 October 2018
The team has gone through major change which has seen people shine through in what they are best at. Ongoing training which takes time alongside running a business. Slowly but surely will be one of Keighley's finest optician's. WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!
Pros
team are amaxin
learnt some important useful skills
Optical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Felixstowe9 October 2018
interesting variety of tasks which change daily
customer service skills required
long hours including weekends and bank holidays
building very cold-had to keep doors open even in winter
good team
Promising at first but did not follow through
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff9 October 2018
I wish there was a clearer trajectory going forward with the company. I was led to beleive there would be a good opportunity for me to train but this was not the case.
Nice Environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Chatham, Kent5 October 2018
I really enjoyed my time here. It was a nice environment and everyone got along with each other, there was never any unfairness.

The training element was quick and expansive, never leaving me with too many questions but they were also more than willing to help if I had any.
Good and bad days
Optometrist (Former Employee) –  Northwich, Cheshire3 October 2018
Flexible working hours
sometimes if clinic runs late you miss lunch and dont get time back
confused hierarchy
very routine,repetitive
decent pay nothing special
Platinum employer. Joke
Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Anglia2 October 2018
The directors are unable too communicate properly with staff. The retail director could barely talk and was an embarrassment when on shop floor. staff with any sense have left to get away from him.
Directors lie to get platinum employer, saying they meet certain criteria but never do. Area managers never sense check information as they want another box ticked on their kpi's.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Poor directors.pay benefits.respect
Good Workplace
CLINICAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire29 September 2018
Good employment. Managers great. its definitely the people and not the job that keeps you there. easy to progress to a higher level. Uniform good. However, long hours!!
Pros
Free Sight Test and glasses after probation
Cons
Very long hours.
Fun place to work at
Trainee Dispensing Optician (Former Employee) –  Cheshire25 September 2018
I enjoy working in specsavers, learned alot from here, gain alot of skills. the issue is the salary. The staff is underpaid, apart from this would love to work.
Pros
flexible
Cons
Salaray
Brilliant colleagues
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton24 September 2018
Poor management of staffing levels and high turnover of employees as a result due to low morale. Colleagues are the backbone of the store and I couldn't praise my peers enough.
Cons
Severely understaffed
Work Experience
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, North Ayrshire19 September 2018
I have attended my first Work Experience in Specsaves in my early early teenage years (4th year of Secondary education). It was an unpaid position and only lasted a week. It gave me confidence and and improved my communication skills preparing me to start working in a real job.
Depends on the store
Optical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dudley19 September 2018
Each store is run by their own management. Management are hardly understanding on any circumstance and usually depends on if your face fits. Wage is rubbish to say what we have to deal with on a daily basis (minimum wage). Breaks are hardly taken on time due to how busy the store can be and management roll eyes..... upping your sales are a must as you get a commission based bonus which gets deducted if you haven’t met your targets or if the store hasn’t met it’s targets based of customer surveys. Always made to stay over in the store if customers are still in and aren’t encouraged to leave which often leads to leaving very late at times (latest is 50 minutes for me) and time is not given back to you.
Pros
Discount glasses for friends and family, 1 pair of glasses for £10
Cons
Lack of support, long hours, very busy
A good company if run right
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot11 September 2018
Run for years by a family so you couldnt get a fair treatment. They didn’t know how to handle staff or deal with serious situations. Often upsetting patients with outbursts and staff were treated like dirt.
Pros
Good team apart from management
Cons
Franchise so no one cares about the staff
Fun People, good place for extra money if young
Optical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham10 September 2018
Fun People, good place for extra money if young.
Great Team of people to work for.
A few staff parties.
Great location in Wrexham to work.
Still friends with people from the job.
Busy
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole10 September 2018
I enjoyed this role however i couldn't continue with the hours that i originally applied for due to changes outside of work. It was busy and not a tricky job.
Productive, professional, and fun environment
Hearcare receptionist (Current Employee) –  Grantham7 September 2018
My normal day at work starts at 9 and ends at 6, with an hour lunch i have many tasks throughout the day that need to be completed to the highest standard and to the best of everyones ability, from working at Specsavers, i have learnt how to cope working under a lot of pressure, i have learnt how to work within a team and independantly and how to work with difficult cutomers.
Excellent
OPTICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Fife6 September 2018
Great company to work for. Hours and benefits are brilliant with the opportunity to move upward. Staff are all very friendly and close. It is a busy place but it gets the day moving quicker.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Specsavers. Our community is ready to answer.