Specsavers
Coronavirus update
Information from Specsavers:

Specsavers Employee Reviews

United Kingdom901 reviews
Management are questionable...if you're prepared to focus fully on shoving products down customer's throats then this is the job for you! It's all about the money at this job. Other staff members tend to be lovely though, and it's rare to get difficult customers as you build rapport with them.
Pros
Good pay, friendly staff members, it is possible to progress higher
Cons
Limited training, poor management, full-time is a lot of hours a week so no work/life balance + weekend work expected, poor treatment when you leave, ill-fitting uniform - too big or too small: no one's uniform fits them
Do not work for any specsavers stores, they claim they value their staff and customers, yet all they do is rip them off. They will work you into the ground until you are both physically and mentally drained, they expect you to run around all day working yourself into the ground doing a 45 hour per week contract, including working every weekend. The opticians are lazy and very bossy, making you do most of their job all day for them as well as your own, you are required to do multiple tasks and practically carry out a supervisors job all for a measly minimum wage, while people in supermarkets such as aldi or lidl or even making pizzas at papa johns pay more and offer more opportunities to progress. The directors oversell and will tell customers they need the very best when they don't, or they will tell a patient they need new glasses when there has been little to no change. To further oversell they will offer you a bonus scheme which only benefits the store, they claim you're not on minimum wage due to this, when the highest bonus i have ever been paid is £40 a month, they claim it is not about sales and hard selling, but every month they will check your figures and ask you why you are not doing as much as other staff. Due to this bonus staff are almost competing against each other which can make it a very hostile environment to work in. The opticians are on a massive bonus and will also question you along with the management if one of your customers doesn't buy glasses or even have a certain coating on their glasses and due to this bonus it is very rare an optician will say to - more...
Pros
family discount, you have a job
Cons
long hours, rubbish salary, hard selling, weekend work, no social life
The pay is known to be well below average and the systems are very outdated the management is very hard to work with and very unprofessional all the benefits and bonus that compensated for the lower pay made the place slightly better to work for were quickly stopped which has put the company even more behind other company's regarding pay. They pride themselves on being a family run business and have the utmost care for their employees but this was quickly known to be false after knowing how they treated their employees during COVID 19. The only reason I have put 1 star is that you can't adjust this to zero. To summarise I would say cleaning a public toilet with my tongue for a living would be more rewarding. Thank you for taking the time to read my review and I hope it helps you make the right choice when choosing whether to work for Specsavers.
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
Never rewarded for hard work, outdated systems, favouritism from management, Very poor training provided, Impossible to get parking
Great place to work friendly staff unfortunately was in the process of swapping branches when covid hit
So lost my job and it took them a month to inform me of their decision
It was a good experience, the work environment is good, colleagues are very friendly.
It was one of the best experiences I've had so far.

Recommend without a doubt.
Pros
break time
Disappointed to see ex employees venting about how horrible it is, I’m a current employee who although didn’t qualify for furlough was paid by the directors as were all the team! They didn’t need to do this, but chose to this saving the livelihoods of many staff. Flexible working arrangements, longer days offered but not forced. GREAT DIRECTORS TO WORK FOR! Culture of development and hard work is rewarded
Pros
Directors culture
Cons
Must always aim to have good
Conversion rates, it’s all about selling glasses, otherwise your salary is at risk,

The main thing is it’s

All business, very little care for patients, optometrist has to always try and convince patients to buy new glasses as they are judged by a daily

Conversion to which the management hold you accountable, busy environment which is a good thing however selling is a big problemis

E
Pros
Busy, always active, reasonable pay
Cons
Greed, all solely focused on how to sell glasses which is unfortunate, optometrist are under heavy pressure to continue to convince patients to sell new glasses
Lovely place to work. Never had an issue with any staff or management, they was always someone to talk to if you found any part of the job stressful. They have on site mental health trained staff which i think is amazing and should be done for every company. It's a shame Covid 19 ended this employment.
Was an okay place to work, my work friends are diamonds and everything was okay, directors dont care about you or your wellbeing only money! Everyday was okay because of the people i worked with, but as soon as any director got involved there was no under standing for well being, covid-19 was hard, and i had to leave as they try to make you work 12 hour shifts throughout the week and ON A SUNDAY! Tried to explain that i couldnt do this and was told id either have to do it or leave, no understand for personal well being or health.
Pros
Anyone under a director is lovely
Cons
Directors dont care about staff well being
A good company to work for. Very friendly and supportive
Good social aspects and good benefits

Excellent in promoting different experiences within other departments
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Specsavers?
It can have its slow paced days and fast paced days, but all in all you will always learn something whilst working at Specsavers. This could be from the workload, from the staff and sometimes from the patients.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help people feel comfortable with their choices and being able to learn so much to help others.

The difficult part is keeping up with the pace whilst learning everything to do with the job, its not impossible - just a struggle at the start. There will always be someone around to give you support.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Interesting place to work, every day is different, can sometimes be short staffed, but there’s some really good people working there. There’s always something that can be learnt.
Pros
Never boring
Cons
Demanding customers, training could be improved
Specsavers was a fun and good place to work who offer a good range of quality products; frames and contact lenses for customers who shop on the high street.
The strongest people in store are micro-managed by a team of small minded management who do no possess the skills to manage a team of people correctly. Those staff members who are in the pockets of management get an easier ride than the capable colleagues.

I love my colleagues and helping our customers.

I was promised promotions and monthly bonuses but after 5 years, there is nowhere for me to progress to and no monthly bonus as yet.
Pros
Local
Cons
Management Team
i know not every store is the same but some have their flaws for example they only care about money and no care for patients or staff. its also difficult to further your career in some stores
Pros
laid back work place
Cons
very stressful with not much reward.
I only did work experience at spec savers which wasn't a paid job but more so volunteering as i was interested in optometry at the time.
My dad consisted of me waking up at seven in the morning and getting on the bus as work began at eight. i would begin my dad by rearranging the glasses making sure everything is set up nicely before the customers begin to come in. I would also pick up calls for those making appointments.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff being incredibly kind and also being able to witness things like eye tests and how they work and how the glasses are manufactured and made.

The worst part of the job would probably be it being repetitive and having the same routine.
interesting place to work. Fun at times, hard work though. Interesting in the sense that i got to learn alot not about just opticians but the working world.
Read above it says it all. I had a great interview but not much training as I'm new to optics how ever a great understanding from my work colleagues.
great job, varied role, great team,
poor management and directorship

lack of training and support

one to ones and appraisals few and far between

pay reviews non existent
Good company to work for, personally think shop floor staff are underpaid as you need a lot of training/knowledge to do the job. Close knit work place with friendly environment.
I work in a franchise with a great boss and a great team, so enjoy my job
It comes with the challenges of healthcare in the community But we all pull together

Fast paced

We are a busy practice

Proud of our reputation locally