Spar Employee Reviews

United Kingdom820 reviews
It was a quality service. The boss was fantastic, nothing extreme was ever asked for me and the hours worked around my life style. Over all great experience and fantastic job.
I worked with Spar for 8 years as I didn't have many options for employment. It seemed ok at first but slowly over the years I noticed the favouritism/nepotism from supervisors and management, racist, homophobic and sexist "banter" from collegues and a colleague begging for a promotion that they didn't earn on merit .
Pros
I got to leave the homophobia behind
Cons
Too many to list, experience it first hand
I enjoyed my time at Spar, I found my colleagues friendly and the management approachable, and it was a good place to learn new skills. I would recommend Spar as an employer.
Pros
Friendly cooleagues, approachable management
Cons
Could be long hours
Very busy with queues building every minute , never was standing idle always was moving, packing and facing off shelves and checking dates.
Helping customers which improved my social skills.

Cons
No breaks
Worked at local spar for a year. Good staff and hard workers never get chance to move up but laziest people and bullies always get a food on the ladder.

Customers generally nice some grumpy rude but doesn't help when supervisors wont help you and leave people queued all the way to the back of the store.

Enjoyed working with just a few. The rest shouldn't be there.
Pros
Free uniform, cheap items at closing
Cons
Min wage, long shifts, unpaid breaks, always asked to cover last minute and at weekends, poor management
i worked for spar for around 8 years and the job its self was not really hard it could be busy at times and on delivery days would come home knowing you had worked but it was a nice job I was a supervisor so had a bot of responsibility wich I enjoyed i liked getting to know the regular customers
Pros
customers and sme of the staff
it was a franchise so the culture was not the same as different spars and it would rotate to a few other company's so this does not affect spar as whole company
Hours were long, throw you onto the tills if you’re a girl while the boys stand around the back having smoke breaks. They crack up when there’s customers waiting to be served yet when you ring the bell no one comes to help. I was on the deli and the manager is so sneaky, won’t say nothing to your face but will happily go to higher management, when confronted she takes it thick resulting going to higher management again. Double standards, manager won’t confront her friend but will happily tell other members off (usually through text), no communication through anyone, honestly I think my store wasn’t well organised.
Pros
10% discount and fuel
Cons
Unorganised, double standards
Favourism & unprofessional people from top to bottom. Company is full of double standards. Don’t bother wasting your time to even apply for this role.
I worked there a few years ago. The newly trained manager (at the time) zowie, who I worked for was a liar and made things up, such as making up that she had given me my monthly appraisal (we never actually had the appraisal) and scoring me low.
Pros
Other staff were great to work with
Cons
I found it that is very peace full and some costumers are very nice and you see the everyday say you get to know them but you also can have bad days when someone steals or someone try to rob the store.
Pros
Half price
Cons
To long
I only did a trial shift at the spar but from the time I spent there I can see it was a very nice atmosphere to work in and I would’ve loved to have been a part of the team
Pros
Good people
Cons
Customers can be stressful
It was a relaxed and fun place to work. I enjoyed the work and it was a friendly place to work. I worked mostly on the till, also handling delivery’s and putting out stock.And Doing mark downs.
They are very understanding if you have family problems. Lovely people to work along side. Always put the customer first. Try and do our every best in everything we did
Senior Management very difficult to work for, they offer you a good Job in their eyes but as soon as you start working for them their attitude changes... most spars are a franchise owned and therefore employment rules dont apply.
It’s a very nice place to shop and has everything you will need. I only worked a couple off days here as I was helping out for my dad. Over all it is a great shop with happy to help staff on site at all times.
It was a good place to work although at times it was fast paced, stressful and demanding, the staff were friendly and excellent, the team work was also great,
Corrupt bad management. Work life balance not good. Your just a number not a valued member.a work horse. Mind numbing dead end job. Selfish staff. Managers at area level don’t care
Thieves,unreliable pay,lucky to get a holiday,Will not pay holiday owed,take no notice what so ever,they lie to you,can't tell you after 9 months how much holiday you've got left
They do everything bare minimum and basic, no maternity pay etc. They do not care about staff they just want to line the directors pockets, which they seem to do nicely
To learn new different skill. To train new team members for bussines need. Cooperative management but only the break was issue most of time. Most long tiring shift.