Sovereign Housing Association Employee Reviews in Newbury

Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Newbury10 March 2019
If it wasn't for moving areas I would like to think I still be there. Great company, benefits are good and they care about you as an individual. Amazing people work there
Friendly, Welcoming place to work
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newbury18 September 2017
I have been temping here for roughly 7 weeks, and honestly I don't have a bad word to say any it at Sovereign. Everyone is so friendly and inviting. I have defiantly enjoyed my time with Sovereign and will miss it very much. On a normal lunch time, I would go out and get food, then come back into the office and sit with people in the staff room. Where somewhere would normally feel weird, At sovereign they couldn't be more welcoming. I had never done receptionist work before but my mentor was a great teacher, I like to ask lots of question but she was very patience with me. I have been asked to go back for 1 more week to help train the new receptionist. When I was asked I felt nervous and scared as I didn't feel like i could do something like that being a temp. But I had a great reference from both my line manager and also his manager i feel proud to say i worked at Sovereign for the duration of 7 weeks. I would highly recommend applying for a job here. And hopefully in the future i would like to find myself a permanent role within the business.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Productive and Fun place to work
Human Resources Operations (Current Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire16 June 2017
My typical day at work is case management, getting on with a project that I am leading or coaching managers on all aspects of HR.

Management are very flexible and we the work place culture inolves one being given an opportunity to show your skills and be responsible for your own role and make decisons .

The workplace culture is marvelous. There is alot of flexibility in the ways of working and we have an open door culture.

The hardest part of my job is coaching managers to be consistent in their decision making and trying to help them see the true picture of people management. We are going through a Merger at the moment and the hardest part is to create one culture from the 2 organisations.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that there is never a dull day in Sovereign
Wrong Match with Personalities
Strategic Research Manager (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire4 April 2017
Unfortunately my personality was not the right match with my line Manager, and therefore the brief work experience at Sovereign was not a pleasant one.

This is not reflective of the company, merely my own personal experience.
Very friendly place to work with good oppurtunites to progress
Trainee surevyor (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire17 March 2017
Working at Sovereign has provided a great starting point into a management career in construction. The staff are very friendly and willing to provide assistance as and when required.
Great and interesting place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire14 December 2016
I've worked at Sovereign for a long time now but never stayed in the same job for over 18 months so lots of opportunity for progression.

I've been given the opportunity to launch some projects which were very new to me so I feel like the company has given me confidence to progress.

It's quite a personable and friendly place to work.

It will be interesting to see the impact of the merger as we're now an 1,800 strong workforce and operating on a larger scale.
fun workplace, working in the community making peoples lives better and safer.
Neighbourhood Warden Scheme (Current Employee) –  Newbury22 April 2016
Being a Neighbourhood Warden no day is ever the same, take today we are joining a foundation class from a local school and taking them to a local wooded area where they will have fun playing and leaning about the woods and creatures that live their. after helping to escort the children safely we then carry out a foot patrol of a housing estate and if any drugs paraphernalia is noticed while carrying out the patrol then this will be removed by ourselves there and then. we also report back to local housing association things we see while carrying out our patrol. fly tipped items we will remove and take to the local recycling centre damage to roads and pavements we report to the local council. While we are carrying out a patrol we speak with local residents and if there are events happening at community centres in the areas we patrol then we make a visit. In the past Wardens have set up and organised trips for local groups and events such as litter picking for local cub and brownie packs. Part of our role is to also visit youth clubs and were in the past we have given presentations on different topics such as Stranger Danger and Road Safety to name but a few.
Pros
Working with great co-workers in a fun and enjoyable job, Good working enviroment and only working one saturday in four.
Cons
Being made redundant.
Visionary leadership
Head of Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  Newbury18 November 2015
Attracted by a forward looking leadership that continues even today. An organisation open to better ways of delivering great service.
Pros
Innovative
work experience
Organiser (Former Employee) –  newbury28 July 2015
really lovely company. loved my week of work experience.
fun to work there with supported staff. fast company to work for
Good work life balance
Financial Accountant (Former Employee) –  Newbury, ENG6 April 2015
A good company to work for. There is a good work life balance and the company has an overall good communication policy.

The culture allows you to work the way that best suits you rather than having an authoritative stance.

Although some colleagues may come across as insecure as there isn't much help for new starters trying to learn the ropes. This perhaps is due to them feeling insecure in their role. Many seem to have stayed in the same role for a long period of time.
Pros
Flexible as long as targets are met
Cons
Colleagues can come across as unhelpful
interesting and good experience
Connect Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newbury, ENG2 March 2014
very good place to work and get an experience as customer service advisor.
Pros
good team
Cons
dealing with angry customers
Valuable experience in a welcoming environment
Designer (Current Employee) –  Newbury22 April 2013
Learned a lot in this job - good culture and environment.
Typical day can involve many lat minute small jobs that come int and need to be turned around quickly, as well as some bigger corporate jobs that may be ongoing.
Pros
good pay, nice environment, nice culture and ethics
Cons
little room for advancement, limited pay rises
Good package and training. but extra hours expected.
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Newbury Berks30 January 2013
Probably not the right person to ask as was made redundant recently.
Good package and training but they do expect their pound of flesh and extra hours.
Growing fast and taking over smaller associations so have got big.
Consequently have lost personal touch and staff feel they are just a number now. No loyalty to staff now,
But I would say that wouldn,t I.
Pros
good package pension, private medical and salary
Cons
long hours constantly re-organising so regularly have to re-apply for your own job.