Sovereign Housing Association Employee Reviews

Rubbish
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire9 April 2019
Good hours and good rates of pay. Hard work though and not enough hours to get it all done. Start with a 6 month probationary period which is still continuing a year later
Lack of training
Customer Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire9 April 2019
I spent about a month not knowing how to do my job because no one bothered to take the time to train me, or the other new recruits. Most of the emails coming through were too advanced for my lack of training, so I could only work on certain ones.

One day I was told I'd be going on the phones. When I explained that I haven't been trained for inbound phonecalls, my collegue casually said "Oh well, you'll figure it out".
Pros
Hour long lunches
Cons
Lack of training
Awful and poor management
Building Maintenance officer (Current Employee) –  Poole23 March 2019
All positions start off well and goes downhill very quickly. Very poor management false promises and hot tempered to say the least, real shame as there are so good workers watch out for Camera tracking device, no job security as redunancies coming across the beard.
Pros
Starts off well short term
Cons
Middle management
Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Newbury10 March 2019
If it wasn't for moving areas I would like to think I still be there. Great company, benefits are good and they care about you as an individual. Amazing people work there
Sovereign housing
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Wiltshire9 March 2019
Sovereign housing is a good place to work if you've already gone out and learnt everything you need to and its time to slow up, i feel as i cant aim any higher within this company.
Good job but negative environment
Multi Trader (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset3 March 2019
Worked there for around a year and initially was ok but unfortunately due to over management from supervisor upwards it isn't long before the dramas start .
You are sold the idea it's about helping people from upper management but the reality is it is about the money even to the point your safety can be compromised due to sending you to jobs on your own which they know should be VIPs because of tenant issues.
Fundamentally sovereign is restructuring because it is top heavy and for the average trade who deals with a supervisor who is manouvering position to make themselves look good ,it can be very wearing.
The actual work itself is easy but even that can start to become complex due to the 45 minute rule the company has each side of the day .So basically if you don't get on with your planner or your supervisor feels slightly raggy then it ends up a game of cat and mouse and nothing gets done.
I personally found the guys on the ground good guys but I'd say 90 percent had negative thoughts especially towards upper management and supervisors who at times were not even tradepeople themselves were looked on with contempt.
Basically sovereign needs to cut the dead wood out from supervisors upwards they are obviously underworked due to the amount of dramas that are created from supervisors upwards .
So if you can handle the games and your face fits it is a good job ,if not keep away .
Pros
Steady job
Cons
Self important management who are removed from reality
Work placement
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Coventry25 February 2019
I did work placement here for college. Personally I didn’t enjoy it as I was unable to do much except being party of the activity staff I was unable to take part or observe any care, I also noticed in one of the residents room there was a leek in the roof and was dripping through the fire alarm.
Loved working here
Leasehold Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bristol14 January 2019
Great colleagues and manager fantastic, lovely working environment and facilities, plenty of opportunity to progress and get involved in decision making and processes.
Sound Company to work for
Commercial Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire11 January 2019
Took on a temporary assignment while relocating and liked the company so applied internally and have stayed for just over a year now. Good company ethos throughout and great people to work with across the spectrum.
Pros
working hours and flexibility
Customer Contact Advisor (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire31 December 2018
Just annoying that cant keep you on and only as temp, but great people, management is brilliant too, never fail to help. Work load is manageable too..
Poor management Lions led by donkeys. Poor systems , lack of investment in staff
Housing officer (Current Employee) –  South East22 December 2018
This is an organisation that has lost its since of purpose. It's got too big. It spends a lot of time building new homes and I vests nothing in existing homes. A good team and lower managers who are very confused and moral is very low. I.T systems that don't work and fail to meet the needs of the staff. Upper managers think they work for ICI and are very out of touch with social housing.

I would avoid at all costs.
Pros
Cons
Lots
Poor upper management and systems
Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  Hampshire6 October 2018
This is a great company to work for, brilliant work life balance pay holidays etc. The upper management are out of touch with the real world and work with their head in the sand to deal with the real issues. The job is easy for the money you get the operatives are great everyone gets along. The customers are challenging and demand is out of touch with what they deserve or need. The policy’s allow poor managers to keep their jobs and sack the workers. The van fleet is awful and the service from fleet is worse or non existent.
Pros
Salary Holidays job security ease of work.
Cons
It systems, fleet, management and policy’s
Not what it seems
Housekeeping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire4 October 2018
The interview was great, but when I started working and actually saw the filth which had been there for months and needed months of work to get it clean I was shocked. No body I worked with seemed to like their job, 1 headhouse keeper was stuck in a time warp, what a miserable woman, she was like a head teacher, slave labour, clock watching all the time when you were on your break, whiywasnt worth having
Rewarding but hard work
Sheltered Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  Blandford Forum, Dorset7 September 2018
I learned a lot about social housing and the needs it offers to people. It can be challenging on some days with dealing with complaints and troublesome tenants, but on the whole a great job to have and to make a difference in peoples lives.
Avoid
Housing Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon15 August 2018
Very unorganised branch. No management and staff very unhappy. This company treat fixed term workers very negatively to permanent staff. No direction or chance of promotion. Avoid wasting your time with this company.
Cons
Good working environment with excellent working pratices
Accommodation Administrator (Former Employee) –  Berkshire17 February 2018
Temporary position coming to an end

Main Responsibilities

First point of contact for residents reporting maintenance repairs, booking jobs onto Active H systems, co-ordinating jobs and liaising with contractors. Maintaining accurate records ensuring all planned maintenance is carried out within the legal time frames. General customer service, face to face and over the phone, taking rent payments and issuing parking permits.

Achievements

Building good working long term relationships with residents and contractors. Recruitment of new cost effective contractors as well as negotiating prices with suppliers also saving the business money.
Pros
Busy environment and variety of tasks
Cons
Not enough hours in the day
A busy and varied work place
Buildings Maintenance Officer (BMO) (Current Employee) –  Poole, Dorset3 January 2018
Ranges from hands on repairs to facilitating large scale high value projects. Demands practical and organisational skills. No two days are the same, challenges are varied and numerous.
Pros
variety of work and benefits
Cons
Long demanding hours impacting on work life balance
A great employer
Caretaker/security (Current Employee) –  Compton7 December 2017
I have worked for Sovereign Housing for 3 years now and they just keep getting better. The way that staff are treated is really good its a great place to work and rewarding knowing that the company cares about its staff and your not just a number.
Pros
A rewarding job that makes you feel wanted
Cons
wages are getting a bit behind for some of us lower bands.
Do not work here
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire24 October 2017
Worked for this company seemed alright & nice place to work in the beginning, but within a few weeks that all changed colleagues were good people very friendly. Management is not good at all dont know what there doing!!, they will blame you for no reason even if u aint done nothing wrong. They treat you like garbage, dictatorship exisits in that place, beware.. never work for this company ever again....
Pros
Short hours..
Cons
Poor management
So far, so good!
Employment & Training Officer (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire9 October 2017
Great place to work, you can truly be yourself at work and practise your specialism.

Whilst I've seen and heard of others progressing I've not yet had the opportunity to do so as I'm relatively new.

It does take a while for the size of the organisation to sink in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sovereign Housing Association. Our community is ready to answer.