Southwark Council Employee Reviews

Southwark Council
Voids & Lettings (Former Employee) –  London, ENG27 January 2016
Good place to work, good team members.

My primary responsibilities in this role was the fast efficient key to key turnaround and timely lettings of empty homes, ensuring that they were ready to relet and met the Councils lettable standard. Whilst working via the Voids Standard Operating Procedures within the agreed void turnaround targets.
Pros
Team work
enjoyed fun environment
refuse worker (Former Employee) –  London, ENG30 December 2015
i enjoyed working as a team with my co workers
i enjoyed working for the council and helping the enviroment
the hardest part was separating the recycling
enjoyable
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  London23 November 2015
Stock takings, cooking, managing staff, keeping kitchen tidy and clean.
Also took part in courses such as:
Manual handing
customer care
COSSH
Face paced environment which is productive and very customer focused
Operations Team Manager (Former Employee) –  London8 November 2015
A typical day at work as a Team Leader in a face paced environment is to ensure that agents attendance and punctuality is properly managed and to manage the floor to ensure that agents are all logged in to the telephones and ready to take repair queries to minimize call waiting times, abandon calls and be ready to provide a second to none customer service to our customers.

I learned that staff are different in their approach to the service but I always encouraged a best practice approach to enable a satisfactory level of service. Staff needs a manager who will encourage and support them, this motivates them to work to the best of their abilities and feel valued and as a part of the team.

The management is very supportive. I Manage a team of 20 Agents, monitor their KPIs (Key Performance Indicator) which includes, the number of calls taken per hour, their adherence, the call length and time and also the quality of their calls. I monitor, their attendance, sicknesses, lateness and carry out regular 121s.

Regular staff turnover but we do recruit apprentices yearly and very enjoyable and rewarding to be involved with their training and development and share in their success in the end
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Regular Technical difficulties
Fun, but sometimes boring
Finance officer (Apprentice) (Former Employee) –  London13 October 2015
Working here was very good for me as it enabled me to incorporate new skills in the finance era of working. However being young it is not somewhere I would want to stay permanently as the work is very repetitive and can be boring.
Productive and fun
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ENG12 October 2015
I enjoyed the fast pace and pressured environment, it kept the team alive. I most enjoyed working within press office and digital marketing.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Contradicting policys
Productive, secure
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ENG6 September 2015
Inputing and processing data on Northgate / booking systems Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and outlook
• Typing up daily reports.
• Writing up emails to Leaseholders, Tenants, Colleges and members of the public.
• Working with the survey team and update updating relevant databases
• Working on switchboard by transferring calls to other departments
• First aider at work
• Obtained scanned records and uploaded them into the database.
• Answered an average of 50 calls per day by addressing customer enquiries and solving problems.
• Politely assisted customers on the telephone.
• Effectively managed a high volume of inbound and outbound customer calls.
• Addressed and resolved customer complaints empathetically and professionally.
• Defused irate customer situations calmly and courteously.
• Answered a high volume of phone calls and email inquiries.
• Supervised housing repairs contact centre.
• Trained new employees on housing repairs programmes and data entry software.
• Investigated and resolved customer enquiries and complaints in a timely and empathetic manner.
• Ensured superior customer experience by addressing customer concerns, demonstrating empathy and resolving problems on the spot.
• Managed a wide variety of customer service and administrative tasks to resolve customer issues quickly and efficiently.
• Directed calls to appropriate individuals and departments.
• Competent on customer service management systems and databases.
• Managed customer calls effectively and efficiently in a complex, fast-paced and challenging call centre environment.
  more...
• Oversaw call centre employees to ensure customer satisfaction goals were consistently met.
• Effective liaison between customers and internal departments.
• Raising repairs orders and chasing outstanding repairs
Real and educational.
Cremator Technician/ Administrator (Former Employee) –  London13 July 2015
Everyday at work was different and full of events.I learned everyday how to deal with different people at different points in their lives most of which were bereaved.
The management and co-workers offered endless support and knowledge to the team and also to members of the public.
The hardest part of my job was watching people say bye to loved ones and listening to them tell stories while giving instructions on how they want their loved ones to be cremated.
Giving people the hope to carry on and watching them try to do just that was my fulfilment everyday at this job.
Cleaning Operative (Former Employee) –  Southwark, ENG24 June 2015
monday - friday
work for public
good management
excellent co-workers
evening shifts - hardest part of job
night shifts - no traffics
Pros
short hours
Cons
excellent teams
Micromanaged by petty managers, not much fun
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Kennington26 May 2015
I've already reviewed Southwark. I did not like the managers but liked everybody else. I was given too much work and responsibility, much of which should have been borne by the managers. I don't like being negative about others but that's the way it was and everybody except the managers would agree.
Good experience
Customer Service Officer (Housing) (Former Employee) –  London, ENG18 May 2015
Very flexible work shift pattern, gave me the experience to work in a corporate setting dealing with council tenants and build up my confidence and resilience to different types of situations.
Administrator at Trading Standards Department (Former Employee) –  London, ENG16 March 2015
the hours was long but the work was ok the wage was good as well the staff was nice people Cretan day would go home early certain days was long
Challenging but always Productive
Career/IAG Adviser (Current Employee) –  London, ENG14 November 2014
- Challenging and exciting

- Patience

- Understanding

- Coorperative (A joy to work with my colleague)

- Getting Providers to make the changes required for clients

- Getting clients to stick to an action plan
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Difficult clients
canvasser
Canvasser (Current Employee) –  london18 October 2014
I enjoy working as a canvasser i get to meet different people and explore areas of London I didn't know before.
.Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG10 September 2014
I Started with Southwark in 2011 as a Customer Service officer. Over the last 3 years I have gained so much experience in different areas of Environment and Leisure and Housing Repairs. I have gained experience in communication with customers, contractors and other members of the Southwark team. I feel that I have gained extensive knowledge in Housing Repairs and Environment and leisure. Working in a team has improved my confidence and allowed me to obtain skills that are necessary for carrying out our day to day activities. Using CRM, IWORLD and appointment based booking systems I have been able to use my knowledge in different departments within Environment and Leisure and Housing Repairs. This has given me a broader understanding of the service and I feel that I am able to work in any area assertively.

They have all been learning experiences for me and I am continually progressing in my knowledge and understanding.

Environment & Leisure

The best part of my job is working with Customers. One experience that I will treasure was when a tenant called about recycling. She was registered under the NHS disability scheme, she had Clinical Waste which she wanted to dispose. She had been trying for some time to contact the recycling team for sometime to obtain a clinical waste bin. Due to her condition she was unable to speak clearly for the team to schedule a delivery, I was able to apologise for the inconvenience caused and arranged one to be delivered within 48 hours. She was so pleased that she emailed to thank me for my servicesses. These experiences make me more resilient
  more... for the negative calls that I sometimes face.

Housing Repairs

One client was very angry about repairs that had not been done on her property. She was very aggressive and very upset. Through all my experience in Southwark I was able to be understanding, build a relationship with her and explain to her how I intended to help. I left the client with reassurance that the problem would be resolved within 3 working days. I then researched what had happened to her repair and found that the contractors had claimed to have repaired her windows but were unable to send me a report of the time and date that the repairs had taken place. I requested the contractor to re-attend to complete works with full report after completion. I then forwarded this information on to my manager and the client’s window was repaired and she was compensated for the inconvenience caused.

It is very important for me to build a relationship with the client that showed her that Southwark cared after she had felt so upset and let down by the service. After I worked with her she left confidently that it was a mistake and she was reassured that Southwark would and could help her

During my time at Southwark I have been able to build on my skills.
I am organised and like to have things done properly. I have a good memory and make sure that all procedures are done to the best of my ability. I always put in 100% effort into what I’m doing.
I am very fast on the computer and am able to use MS Office, Word power point, Access and send emails, book appointments, write reports and communicate with clients, other workers.
Great opportunity to transform services and improve career development options
Special Projects Officer (Former Employee) –  London21 May 2014
I worked at Southwark Council in several positions over 12 years. There were many opportunities to influence change. My main achievement include

Equality & Diversity and Community Engagement nominated for a UK Housing award using Community facilitators to access excluded communities. This helped to improve the accessibility of housing services and compliance with Equality Act general duties.

Event and Project Management fields I have organised successfully events as large as 10,000. As Chair of the BAME staff group, I have also organised staff conferences and career development events attracting 2000 staff in addition to my full time job.

Establishing learning needs- I have commissioned training for 700 staff to ensure the council complied with the Equality Act. I have worked in partnership with Organisational Development to develop career development. This ranged from helping 200 BAME and female to improve their opportunities to progress from feeder grades into senior management.

Measuring post training impact- I conducted a post training analysis of the race equality training in each of the 16 neighbourhood offices to determine the effectiveness of transferring the learning into the office
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
Not easy to drive change from the centre
Productive,Fun Workplce
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  London, ENG23 January 2014
A typical day at work: Taking calls from customers.
I learnt: To listen to customers,and tailor there needs.
Co- workers: Always willing to help you when .required
Hardest part of job; Helping an abusive customer on the phone.
Most enjoyable part of the job: When customer is satisfied with your help.
Pros
Flexability with hours
very good place to start to look for work
Communal Repairs Administrator (Current Employee) –  London, ENG15 January 2014
A typical day at work is usually very busy and quite full on, going through emails, managing your time, liaising with customers and clients. Iearned about time management and developed excellent people skills. Hard part of the job is trying to prioritize so many projects at one time there is always so much to do.

Most enjoyable part of the job is speaking to various people and networking through the other departments.
Pros
Flexi Time is great
Cons
Career development not so great
Very good
Telecoms maintenance manager (Former Employee) –  London6 January 2014
I enjoyed working with Southwark.

Only downside is it can be a little political at times and this makes identifying targets difficult
Great Work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Housing26 October 2013
Duties speaking to council residents, leasholders, liasing with resident and income officers, contractors, the police. Dealing with rent,tenancy,housing repairs,complaints enquiries. I love speaking to customers and enjoy helping people and also enjoy working with my team makes my job really lovely.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Fix term not perm

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwark Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Southwark Council Reviews by Location