Southwark Council Employee Reviews

Very Productive
Plasterer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 March 2017
My days consisted of tiling walls and floors, including thermos plastic floor tiling. The workplace culture was very friendly and welcoming as everyone got along with everyone. Sometimes you would have so much on your hands that you would be overworked and feel the effects of it. An enjoyable part of the job was having good hours and being able to finish early to come home and see my family.
Pros
Good and easy going hours
Cons
You would be overworked and would feel the psychical effects of it
Sheltered
Sheltered Housing Officer (Former Employee) –  London1 March 2017
This was a temporary role and the benefits were fantastic. There was not a lot for me to learn because I already had experience in this role. Overall it was Ok
excellent
Estate Cleaner (Former Employee) –  london2 February 2017
I found working with Southwark Council very rewarding, great team and management, always prompt with paying the wages. A great place of work.
Pros
supportive management and team
Cons
Good learning kerb of process and procedures of local council
Broker - Temporary post (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station31 January 2017
Worked as an Assistant Broker for Children and Older People Services - under Commissioning Team.
As part of the Brokerage team, set up care packages for older people in the Southwark area. This involved dealing with telephone queries, working closely with social work and hospital teams, as wellw as providers/suppliers in making sure that end service users received the correct care and support in this regard.
Pros
Felt that I was part of a team providing a good service, sometimes under diffucult circumstances.
Cons
Very stressful environment, high workload - always urgent referrals to deal with on a daily basis.
enjoyable
Painter and Decorator (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London17 January 2017
A typical day - Learning painting and decorating, on these days I learned what the correct steps were to paint and wallpaper a room. Also the preparation for painting wood. Whilst working on some projects i had to manage a few staff as a foreman and keep on top of everything, ensuring all tasks are completed on time. I've worked as a team as well as on my own. whist working with other colleagues I always take control of the situation and ensure that work that needs to be done is being carried out as well as keeping every ones health and safety in mind. the hardest part of the job for me was learning the correct way of wallpapering walls to make sure the pattern is matching. the most enjoyable part of the job was the end production and looking over all the work i had done.
Pros
Learning a trade
Cons
Very challenging and innovative place to work
Community safety officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 December 2016
Working always as part of a team.
Learning of new challenges and dealing with the public.
Observing and reporting issues.
Giving the necessary departments reports and suggestions.
Carry work out on Problem solving scenarios
Pros
Free packing
Cons
Normal hours
Productive Workplace
Southwark Council Food Safety Support Officer (Current Employee) –  London4 November 2016
a typical day at work involves me working with my team members to deliver the best servic we can to the members of the public, this means i have to stay focused and be determined to complete monthly goals to achieve are yearly objectives. i have to show excellent customer service skills when speaking with members of the publice and give the best anwesers possible for any queries they have.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Work and happiness
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  South East London2 November 2016
The day starts with the checking of the work schedule for the day, more equipment to site and start working. Making sure all work safety regulations are observed. Every day teaches something new . My supervisor gives me the free hand to operate and always go to him when I could not solve any problem my co-workers I lead presented to me. The hardest part of the job is when people are rude and swear at workers for no apparent reason . The job becomes enjoyable when client say thank you and also when the supervisor walk up to you and say well done.
Pros
Recognition of hard work
Busy
Income Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Tooley Street15 August 2016
Always on the go at work, busy, getting on top of work and driving my team to reach their targets in collection and reduction.
Soutwark Council
Quality Assurance Lead (Former Employee) –  47b East Dulwich Road9 August 2016
Work life balance is good because I worked 36 hour week flexi from 7 to 20:00 daily. I was entitled to Flexi-Leave and progressive annual leave,
A lot of training courses were provided. I was appraised monthly with set targets.
Productive work place
Play worker (Former Employee) –  London23 June 2016
A typical day at work is when the children are motivated to do something creative. I have learned to understand children how they need support to encourage them to do great in classes.
The Management is good. The hardest part of the job is when it is short staffed. The most enjoyable part of the job is when we are creative as a team.
Pros
Able to teach the children how to read
Play worker (Former Employee) –  London Borough of Southwark18 June 2016
the lack of funding seriously affected job satisfaction, courses were limited and often left under staffed. felt sorry for the young people as they were the ones affected most
fun workplace
Interim Contracts Manager -Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  London Borough of Southwark16 June 2016
Each day is varied with challenges to overcome but my team is very supportive to help with these challenges. I have learned a lot regarding contracts in terms of contract law and model forms of contract in particular, NEC3.
Local Authority who ensure's well being of staff and customers
Sheltered/Resident Housing Service Manager (Current Employee) –  London5 June 2016
Provides excellent homes for their customers.
Good training for staff
Borough that is working hard to ensure that employment for unemployed is made available by setting up excellent apprenticeships schemes.
Specialist and Unique work experience
Quality Improvement Officer (Former Employee) –  London16 May 2016
My experience working with Southwark was very pleasant with lots of scope for personal development, also the opportunity to develop new skills
Fun place to work
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  London Bridge13 May 2016
Having not worked within a business office environment for sometime I found Southwark Council to be the ideal workplace for me to re adjust and settle down. I found that the majority of my colleagues were always helpful, friendly approachable but what stood out was the level of focus each member of the team demonstrated on a daily basis.
Pros
Great work / social life balance, great colleagues, dedicated to assisting staff to progress, flexible working arrangements
Cons
Salary could be higher
Geat Place to Work
Operations Team Manager (Current Employee) –  London12 May 2016
Been her in this role for over 3 years. Great working with the people I manage. Need a new challenge

Not one day is the same and days can be challenging
not a bad job
Cleaning Operative (Former Employee) –  London10 May 2016
it is good job to get in to if its your first job and it is easy to learn and everyone there is easy to get along with and the whole experience was very enjoyable
Pros
good working hours
Cons
lack of communication within the company
Productive Environment
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  London Bridge3 May 2016
I enjoyed my various roles in this organisation, from Senior Officer to Compliance Officer. I was equipped with the necessary training to enable me to carry out each role competently and effectively.

There was a level of autonomy given to me in my role, which made me feel as if my opinion mattered.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Lack of effective processes
Could be better
Compliance and Building Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  London4 March 2016
Dealing with contractors in major work contracts and day to day repairs, carry out investigations for complaints, legal disrepair and arbitration issues.

I also mitigate on potential legal issues and procurement calculated risks.
I learned a lot on how to deal and manage with individual staff, contractors and dealing with customers and the general public; also more about building construction.

Work with a good team and the hardest part is getting the required outcome with contractors or customers.

Th most enjoyable part is the friendly atmosphere
Pros
good colleagues
Cons
Not a fair employer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwark Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Southwark Council Reviews by Location