Southwark Council Employee Reviews in London

Good Atmosphere
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  London12 July 2019
Very supportive and good for gaining experience. They offer very fulfilling and well-paying full time roles as opposed to my work experience placement there.
Good place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London21 March 2019
It was a good experience for young adults looking for a way to help out in the community and to gain volunteering experience. Communication between me and management was quick and efficient.
Pros
Choose Hours
Cons
No lunch
productive
Asistant (Former Employee) –  London19 January 2019
I would go to a site and review safety measures before and event was set up after that when the event was running i would speak to the event managers and the general public to make sure any concerns were heard and attended to.
Pros
Self confidence
Offers Great Customer Service
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Southeast London, Greater London14 December 2018
Company is a excellent place for young people or student who are doing further studies or interested in an apprenticeship. Learnt about further career opportunities with the council. Workplace culture is laid back and yet colleagues are monitored via computer system and activities controlled. Colleagues do celebrate birthdays and resignation with cakes and drink. The hardest part of the job is being disrespected by clients and not allowed to respond or terminated calls. Most enjoyable part is the rapport with colleagues when on break.
Pros
Professional development is possible within the organisation because of it's size
Cons
Job is monotonous
Relaxed
Assistant (Former Employee) –  London4 August 2018
It was a relaxed environment but everyone is hardworking. The management is good and the workplace culture is good. The hardest part was meeting deadlines.
Every day is different.
Specialist Family Focus Team (Current Employee) –  London3 April 2018
Working for Southwark is rewarding and challenging in equal measure. Every day is different. The key to success is to keep your head down and do the job your paid for
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lack of training.
Library work
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 March 2018
At the beginning of the day the books that were returned would be shelved and the computer systems would be turned on for the public use. This involved checking if there were any damages or faults.
As the day continued each member would follow the rota and carry out there jobs. If these jobs were completed other tasks would be done instead so that the library is working efficiently.
At this job I learned teamwork and finance skills.
The work place culture was friendly and accepting. It did not take long to fit in.
The hardest part of the job was during exam season where there is a greater influx of people requiring the services.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work in a team and help the public.
Decent place to work
Arborist Team Leader (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 March 2018
Worked here for 3+ years, secure place to work and well run.
Could do with having more freedom with advancement and pay rises however for a council this isn’t likely.
Southwark council are a great council to work for
Informative
Housing Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 December 2017
I only worked there for a couple weeks for work experience. However, I did find the experiance very informative and fun.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming.
Productive working
Contracts Officer/Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  London2 October 2017
This was a very fun and productive place to work. It also had many opportunities for progression. I enjoyed working here and would definitely recommend to parents especially as the flexibility is very convenient.
Pros
Flexible hours
funwork place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  london7 September 2017
typical day would be removing recyclable rubbish from residents bin cupboard. i leaned what is recycling is all about and what is the correct way of recycling
horrible management
Lettings Officer (Current Employee) –  london30 August 2017
My typical day consisted of lettings work, however they then threw me into many other roles which at first i didnt mind however when no one was communication given to me about next moves I started to feel out of sort. Management is terrible and very unorganized. There is definitely a blame culture and staff members can be very unhelpful and rude. Other that the odd majority my team were very helpful and sweet.
Pros
flexi working hours
Cons
unorganised
Great service
Mash Information officer (Current Employee) –  London27 August 2017
Great service to work for. Fantastic people. Very professional approach to helping people even though the London Borough of Southwark is overwhelmed with the demand for their support. Very welcoming service from director to system support.
fun learning curve
youth mentor and recuirtment (Former Employee) –  London2 August 2017
this job allowed me to grow froma boy into a man and also allowed me to learn key factors which allow you to go into the work place I was the youngest person so I have to catch on quickly which allowed me to learn form the mistakes of others and make sure I didn't make the same mistake again
Pros
free lunches and courses
Cons
timetable
Painting and Decorating
Painter and Decorator (Former Employee) –  London1 July 2017
This was refurbishment of properties owned by the Council. It was varied. This involved working with tenants and required being communicative, respective and having good social skills
Campaign Executive
Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 June 2017
A really fun place to work, but after my third department re-org it was time to move on. One of the best teams I've ever worked in. A good place to get that overview of running national local gov campaigns.
Very productive
Gas Servicing Officer (Former Employee) –  Tooley Street, London Bridge12 June 2017
- Quality control and customer satisfaction.
- How to adapt to face-to-face communication and handle conflict.
- Manage time keeping and maintain high standards of customer care.
- The hardest part of my job is being unable to train staff due to tight guidelines.
- Most enjoyable thing about my current post is receiving positive feedback.
Pros
customer service, positive feedback, job satisfaction
Cons
travelling to work
Productive and diverse place to work
PA to Director (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 May 2017
No two day is the same
Learnt Government systems
Great Management culture
Great Workplace culture

Need a more robust IT system
Ensuring policies were completed for the residents
Pros
Achievement
Cons
IT systems
Colleagues great to work with, could be fun at times.
Divisional HR Manager (Former Employee) –  London, UK10 May 2017
Over the years I learned how to get the best out of people by being compassionate and hard when appropriate. The hardest part of the job towards the end of my time there was there were not enough staff within the team to keep ontop of the day to day work activities but still expected to take on projects, I understand that project work goes hand in hand with the posts I have been employed in but sometimes this was at a detriment to other tasks.

The most enjoyable part of the job was becoming friends with my colleagues.
Great employer
Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  London10 May 2017
Worked as a Foster Carer for Southwark Council Caring for a variety of ages of children.

Southwark council were an extremely supportive employer providing me with essential support throughout each of my placements

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwark Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Southwark Council Reviews by Location