Southwark Council Employee Reviews

Productivity is good, as well as workflow.
Housing Solution Gateway Officer Apprentice (Current Employee) –  SE15 4UJ24 April 2019
I think the housing Solution Homeless department provided an essential service for it's customers.

However it does comes across some challenges, which are well managed by the staff members.
Pros
Fullfilling Job
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Good place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London21 March 2019
It was a good experience for young adults looking for a way to help out in the community and to gain volunteering experience. Communication between me and management was quick and efficient.
Pros
Choose Hours
Cons
No lunch
Great people to work with
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Southwark, Greater London7 February 2019
Good public sector environment to work within, with a good work ethic. Varied work where no day can often be the same in a challenging environment, striving for service improvement.
productive
Asistant (Former Employee) –  London19 January 2019
I would go to a site and review safety measures before and event was set up after that when the event was running i would speak to the event managers and the general public to make sure any concerns were heard and attended to.
Pros
Self confidence
Offers Great Customer Service
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Southeast London, Greater London14 December 2018
Company is a excellent place for young people or student who are doing further studies or interested in an apprenticeship. Learnt about further career opportunities with the council. Workplace culture is laid back and yet colleagues are monitored via computer system and activities controlled. Colleagues do celebrate birthdays and resignation with cakes and drink. The hardest part of the job is being disrespected by clients and not allowed to respond or terminated calls. Most enjoyable part is the rapport with colleagues when on break.
Pros
Professional development is possible within the organisation because of it's size
Cons
Job is monotonous
Southwark Council CSO
Customer Service Officer/Housing Repairs Officer (Current Employee) –  Queensroad Peckham7 November 2018
The contact centre is a nice place to work, everyone is treated fairly and you do get support if need be.
They even offer out of hours overtime to staff as a chance to earn more.
Pros
1 hour lunch on some days
good
Business Administrator (Current Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London6 November 2018
good place to work if you have a family or need a flexible job
good progression i have witnessed many progressions in my short time there .
not a lot of social work elements
excellent
Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  southwark11 October 2018
Started as a cover cleaning operative covering my mum whilst she was on holiday.
I received such good feedback from the client they asked if i would be able to help them with a problem school they had locally.
After me agreeing and also getting good feedback from the clients the management requested for me to apply for the supervisors role of which i did and become supervisor then within a year become senior manager
Good Place to work
Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Peckahm3 October 2018
Busy Job worked within the duty team first point of contact for all referrals, supporting the community, hardest job very hectic at times enjoyable working together as a team
Pros
Learn new things
Cons
Very Busy
Productive and fun workplace
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Tooley Street26 September 2018
A typical day at work is meeting email targets, raising invoices, dealing with vendor or customer queries, petty cash processing and the maintenance of the petty cash spreadsheet, constant communication with staff from other departments regarding funds in suspense account, retrieving funds and posting to appropriate cost centre, handing out post via rota system, making refunds to customers for overpayment. E.g. PCN charges and monthly reconciliation for foster care payments.

I have learned how to manage my time and focus on the task while working in a high pressured environment, I have learned to accommodate differences in a work place, I have learn to work in a team to produce an excellent service, I have learn to work to meet the targets set in my work plan and ask for training if needed.

I have learnt that I work hand in hand with management and that my productivity will built trust between management and staff, whilst following the policies and procedures of the workplace. I have also learn that good management is open to valid ideas that can make time at work easier.

The work culture is great. working as a team to meet valuable targets makes me feel I have been productive. work life balance has been a big factor in productivity.

The hardest part of the job is time.

Most enjoyable part of the jobs is finding colleagues/ staff and customers are satisfied with my services.
Pros
Free Lincon theatre tickets for Southwark Staff & Family
Cons
Meeting deadlines when short of staff
Productive, Interesting,Challenging
-Positive Activities for Young People -Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southwark, Greater London13 August 2018
A typical day at work would be arriving at 9am check emails a
voicemail,
Check my to do list, and carry out any tasks from the list.
Attend meetings, Carry out observation monitoring to the organisations that receive funding from the council.

The work place culture was very clickey.
Pros
Excellent training opportunits.Multi agencies working networkong.
Cons
To many layers of management
Relaxed
Assistant (Former Employee) –  London4 August 2018
It was a relaxed environment but everyone is hardworking. The management is good and the workplace culture is good. The hardest part was meeting deadlines.
Gained knowledge and experience
Administration Officer / Business Support Worker (Former Employee) –  160 Tooley Street, SE112 June 2018
No 2 days are the same. Gained knowledge about property valuations and asset management. Most colleagues are friendly and approachable. No real prospect of progression.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Career development
A successful customer focused posistion.
Benefits Officer (Former Employee) –  London Borough of Southwark, Greater London14 May 2018
The daily customer advisory service was always a full on friendly, and informative enterprise.
The communication between staff members was always of a high standard, so that dealing with public as customers would have a satisfactory outcome.
A Typical day at work
sport facility assistant (Former Employee) –  Working in the park29 April 2018
I start work in the morning at 9am.

May sure the building is safe & secure for customers.

Answer the telephone & make booking,

Keeping to health & safety.
Pros
working for the community and in the community setting
Cons
working outdoors
Great job.enjoyed working for them
Estate Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Southwark21 April 2018
Was a good company to work for.had to leave through I’ll health at that time.But well now.Management and team leaders were always helpful,and checked that our work was upto standard on a regular bases.
Pros
Working on your own at your own pace to do work thoroughly and to the standard as required
Cons
Some residents not clearing away there rubbish, so we have to move it
Every day is different.
Specialist Family Focus Team (Current Employee) –  London3 April 2018
Working for Southwark is rewarding and challenging in equal measure. Every day is different. The key to success is to keep your head down and do the job your paid for
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lack of training.
Library work
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 March 2018
At the beginning of the day the books that were returned would be shelved and the computer systems would be turned on for the public use. This involved checking if there were any damages or faults.
As the day continued each member would follow the rota and carry out there jobs. If these jobs were completed other tasks would be done instead so that the library is working efficiently.
At this job I learned teamwork and finance skills.
The work place culture was friendly and accepting. It did not take long to fit in.
The hardest part of the job was during exam season where there is a greater influx of people requiring the services.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work in a team and help the public.
Decent place to work
Arborist Team Leader (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 March 2018
Worked here for 3+ years, secure place to work and well run.
Could do with having more freedom with advancement and pay rises however for a council this isn’t likely.
Southwark council are a great council to work for
fun
Teaching Assist and after school club play worker (Former Employee) –  Dulwich9 February 2018
great job for school leavers and also parents who need part time hours or even older people who wish to work part time. handy for work during both term time and school holidays
Pros
flexible hours, meeting the public, working alongside schools
Cons
low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwark Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Southwark Council Reviews by Location