Southwark Council

Southwark Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom104 reviews
Good benefits, bad work/life balance
Like most public service jobs, the work/life balance isn’t great. You are encouraged to do a lot of over time and they’re always understaffed. However, the management structure is great and there is a lot of support.
Corruption not good for a local council
The Southwark council have rules for management and different rules for normal service workers
If management hits a employee they keep there job and they don’t get disciplined and get away with what they have done to another person so wrong Southwark council has lot of corruption there job 😡
productive, informative, life-changing
People with disabilities are well looked after at Southwark, and the staff are very patient when it comes to training individuals in certain tasks, so that these soon became second nature within a week, and new staff are ultimately made to feel like one of the team.
good work experience place
i really enjoyed my work experience everyone was lovely to me and welcoming they let me visit tenants house to check out there damp and mold situations and also a broken window in a newly built flat. i found that very fun.
Stressing
Very stressful place to work wouldn't recommend if your face dont fit you dont fit the pay is to low you have to work 7 days a week just for stuip money wouldn't recommend
extensive experience
dedicated professional with the extensive experience in Europe and Middle East aims to pursue senior level assignments in Training and Development, Customer Relationship Management, with a reputed organization.
Productive up to date technology with excellent leadership
Very stressful - need to hit your target 100%
Gained excellent knowledge/skills

Great team work

Excellent leadership

Flexible working

Patchless working

Enjoyed flexibility and up to date technology under excellent management
Good for longevity
Good place to work for longevity and flexible hours
Typical 9-5 office environment. I was able to progress quickly due to having a great team.

I would recommend working for Southwark if you are looking for a long term career.
Pros
longevity and comfortability
Cons
repetitiveness, system is always slow, no company benefits
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Southwark Council?
Cleaner, Van Driver
Very good experience when I worked in this company, I had the possibility to go up and change jobs, very good leadership, understandable, with training actions, good relationship between colleagues too, without ever complicating the holiday schedule.
Poorly managed department
Poor leadership, communication and assistance from overworked manager. Head of department only talks to other managers and tends to walk past people tutting. Inadequate software for the role.

Other staff in departments were mainly friendly and good to work with.
Bad to work for
I was suffering from depression when they unfairly sacked me because they didn't believe me that I was being bullied by my boss. I would love my job back.
A decent company to work for.
I was a carer for my Autistic daughter, the support from southwark council was excellent. Information and assistance isn't always easy to find, but once found, it is worth while and of great benefit.
Productive and Fun workplace
Through my work experience at Southwark council i was able to build on my analytical skills and my interpersonal skills. I also was able to get a real insight into a life of a solicitor as i attended client meetings and spoke to clients.
Pros
Travel is paid for
Good Atmosphere
Very supportive and good for gaining experience. They offer very fulfilling and well-paying full time roles as opposed to my work experience placement there.
Productivity is good, as well as workflow.
I think the housing Solution Homeless department provided an essential service for it's customers.

However it does comes across some challenges, which are well managed by the staff members.
Pros
Fullfilling Job
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Good place to volunteer
It was a good experience for young adults looking for a way to help out in the community and to gain volunteering experience. Communication between me and management was quick and efficient.
Pros
Choose Hours
Cons
No lunch
Professional and Ethical place to work
I have worked in Southwark Council through my entire career and I can safely say that I have learned to work professionally and with the highest integrity in this place.

great managers and great support.
Pros
flexible working, great support from managers
Cons
salary not as good, no extra benefits
Great people to work with
Good public sector environment to work within, with a good work ethic. Varied work where no day can often be the same in a challenging environment, striving for service improvement.
productive
I would go to a site and review safety measures before and event was set up after that when the event was running i would speak to the event managers and the general public to make sure any concerns were heard and attended to.
Pros
Self confidence
Offers Great Customer Service
Company is a excellent place for young people or student who are doing further studies or interested in an apprenticeship. Learnt about further career opportunities with the council. Workplace culture is laid back and yet colleagues are monitored via computer system and activities controlled. Colleagues do celebrate birthdays and resignation with cakes and drink. The hardest part of the job is being disrespected by clients and not allowed to respond or terminated calls. Most enjoyable part is the rapport with colleagues when on break.
Pros
Professional development is possible within the organisation because of it's size
Cons
Job is monotonous
Southwark Council CSO
The contact centre is a nice place to work, everyone is treated fairly and you do get support if need be.
They even offer out of hours overtime to staff as a chance to earn more.
Pros
1 hour lunch on some days