Southern Co-op

Southern Co-op Employee Reviews

United Kingdom255 reviews
hard work
it is a varied and demanding environment, I have worked at Southern Co-op at more than one location in different counties with a gap in between and things have not improved in fact things have got a lot worse. Personally I wouldn't want to work for them again.
Pros
there are none
Cons
long hours, expected to work late and then go in early the next day
nice place
good environment - clean store, well stocked, new build, nice location, nice staff, nice bread! I would recommend anyone to apply for work there best wishes
Great experience of a small friendly team
Working as part of a small team and becoming the local convenience store. As part of a small team allowed us to have many roles within store to provide a great customer experience. My main role was morning Baker and weekend supervisor so am able to multitask between till area, deliveries, date checking, reductions etc.
Great company, great people!!!
Great managers, company that cares, really great foundation built whilst at the company! Autonomy and trust within my team! Would recommend them to anyone
fast paced
a lot of managers come and go and get changed around so it was hard to adapt to each and every managers ways.
i learned how to deal with difficult customers.

i learned about the stock control and how to manage the waste.
Good Work life balance
Enjoyable atmosphere in store with a great team.
Able to flex my hours around my family to satisfy all parties.

Management training is really good and company invest heavily in training.
Best job ever
Loved it and would recommed it to anyone who wants a job there staff our friendly and easy to get along with everyone is lovely and shop is always clean and tidy
Very friendly work enviroment
Friendly work place, colleagues and management, enjoyed interacting with customers. Friendly atmosphere through out the shifts, flexible managements, thoroughly enjoyed working with the company.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Southern Co-op?
Good staff working as a team.A
All staff worked well&fairly together to get things done eg...getting deliveries put out,keeping the store clean&tidy,it was a pleasure to work with such a good team of all ages.
Boring and repetitive
Very standard retail job with no variation or challenge. Management is very relaxed and do not strictly follow standard procedures, the training since starting is only was is required for the job and nothing of the extra depth which is intended.

Actual job is very repetitive, everyday is either stacking shelves or on the till. I work in the bakery occasionally however this is just tiring and stressful, for being what must be an important role in the shop (as its hard to get time off from the bakery), only a handful of people in the shop are trained to work in it and the awful hours the pay for the bakery is exactly the same as any other CSA which is only 8p more than the minimum wage.

Having contracted hours can be a benefit as you know when your working and can easily turn down extra shifts you don't want to work, however the lack of flexibility is a major drawback.
Management/Theft/taking advantage of young staff and their disability
From my experience of working for this company, my manager had stolen thousands of pounds and when reported to a higher ranking member they did not care. it seems they are all in on it, and only working a couple of hours a day leaving young members of staff with little training to run the store. The store manager also discriminated the staff on their appearance and threaten other staff to get them to do the managers work for them so they can go home and get full days pay but only work a few hours of the week
Cons
Discrimination and theft
Poor management
The company treat you like rubbish. The stores are open 17 hours per day and most of the day there is 1 person and 1 Duty Manager to serve, fill shop etc.
Hard work but rewarding
Great team community focused
Progression

Supportive higher management

Great work ethnics and culture

Maintaining profit and loss

Having a great team working as one being involved in the community and having a great repour with the customers
Pros
team work
Cons
some long hours
Only really good for students
Good job for people still living at home who want a bit of spending money but for adults who have a house and bills etc to pay for it’s difficult. More than half my pay goes on rent, we had a great manager but now have a store manager who does not understand how this store works.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Pay, management changes, part time contracts
working for coop
Everyday is different,
100% loved this job as it is a community store ,amazing customers, and staff.

SHAME store managment left

I will always work with customer focused jobs because every day is different.
Rife with mismanagement and incompetence
Management is often either lazy or doesn't know how to properly communicate their goals and expectations to the team, leaving the s*** to run downhill as they say. If you like feeling belittled and distrusted for no reason then this is the job for you!
Terrible experience
This is a disgrace of a company. The store managers will force you into accepting any shift they require you to do under the threat of disciplinary action. The store managers do not care about you or your well being, multiple times myself and other colleagues were referred to as 'numbered drones' and easily replaceable by the management team.
In addition to this holiday and time off is almost impossible to have, in my time working for them I was rejected all of my holiday requests for 3 years as they believe you have the right to have any holiday, just to apply for it.

Please stay away from this disgusting and incompetent company.
Pros
Cons
Stressful atmosphere and bullying by management
fun, challenging and rewarding (high job satisfaction)
a typical day at work is generally full of surprises, you never know what kind of people and issues you will have to deal with both good and bad. i learned a lot about communication, people management, retail administration, general people skills and how the procedures that are in place keep the company running smoothly. the hardest part of the job was dealing with upset customers calmly and retaining a cool, level and productive head. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with all of my colleagues in a friendly coopreative enviroment to solve everyday issues with little to no effort.
Fast paced environment
Fast paced environment. There is always something to do, whether it be serving customers at the tills, sorting through the delivery, stocking shelves, rotating stock or helping to keep the store clean.
Fun work environment
I worked both on the shop floor and in the bakery for this job, it was by far the best job i have had so far. the colleagues were great and there was always something to do. Yes, it got busy during the morning and evening rush but the friendly faces of customers made it much more inviting.

the only downside i experienced was the pay. I was 19 at the time of working for the southern co-op and my payrate was much lower than i believe it should have been.

I also wasn't given my final paycheck so had basically worked for free for the last two weeks of my work.
Great Manager, Poor Pay
Our store manager in the Hove branch is fantastic and really cares about his staff, but the pay is out of his control. They pay minimum wage which is a nightmare as we are effectively living in a city. More than half of my monthly pay check goes on rent.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Co-op. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9