Southern Co-op Employee Reviews

An ethical company that focuses more on making a profit for its members.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hove14 March 2019
A typical day consists of either helping the Duty Manager get the store prepared to open early in the morning, serving customers on the till, or working cages of stock that have arrived from the distribution centre. The store l worked in focused on profit before quality of service most of the time meaning if there was a gap on the shelf then it had to be filled. Management was always left to what duty manager was on shift that day. The line manager made brief appearances during the week to delegate tasks. Hardest part of the job for me was having to deal with members of the public who wanted to give the staff a hard time by shoplifting. Enjoyable part of the job was the colleagues I worked with. There would be times where we could discuss the goings on in the world.

Summing up although I left under a dark cloud, I still looked forward to going to work.
Pros
Working with friendly staff and being part of the membership of the society.
Cons
Dealing with awkward customers
People make the job
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  PO19 7TG12 March 2019
Its an easy job to get used too, nothing is too hard and too complicated to achieve.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be the people you work with, which can always make the job go quicker.
Pros
The discount
Cons
Low pay rate: and equality for all ages. Under 18, Under 25
System varies between stores.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey11 March 2019
Worked here for 4 months with 1 month , then 3 months after due to injury. They were nice enough to take me back but had to restart training. Staffing become a problem and for someone contracted 12 hours, some weeks I would he offered 20 hours in overtime. Shifts were extended without any notice or managers asking me. For 12 hour staff, decided could do without the hassle so handed my notice in after being there 13weeks. The next day, they fired me for not meeting their required standards. Always turn up on time, worked hard, good with customers.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Staff problems.
Sales Assistant
Csa (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol28 February 2019
Terrible. Pays well below the real Living wage. Pays duty managers below the real living wage. I have been assaulted, Been expected to do things no worker should have to do and have a unworkable workload. Nothing works and the machines and technology is poor. They only care about negatives and positives are overlooked. We had a dress down day in-store as a charity thing. When a boss surprised us with a visit the same day, he laid into me for not having a name badge or uniform on. I was fuming! Management and head office staff are too hard on employees. Bonus is disappearing. Money is minimum. Stress and workload MAXIMUM. Avoid this job like the plague! You cannot go up in the company structure unless you can drive.
Pros
Cons
Everything. Benefits and bonus are getting almost non-existant.
Poor upper management practises and safety in stores
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire20 February 2019
Upper management demand's are too unrealistic for the pay they offer cashier's and management.

Praise is never given and hard work is not recognised or rewarded, long hour's and high staff turnover due to lack of security when in store to protect stock as well as staff.

Would rather recruit externally for position's than give employee's the opportunity

Deliveries are unsafe due to cage's being damaged and poor stacking ability at warehouse's leading to high chance of damage of stock or injury.

Company is well behind its competitor's in practises and technology.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
high expectation's low pay
Great induction and training programs
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth13 February 2019
Amazing induction and training program, opportunities within the company good benefits flexiable working for store managers set shifts which is few and far between in retail work
Pros
Generous holidays
Behind the times
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex7 February 2019
Company too dependent on staff and expect a 90%/10% work/life balance, paying a poor salary in addition to this. Management have no clue. Always expected to perform duties above your pay grade.
Pros
10% discount in food retail stores
Cons
Long hours, no compliments
It's decent.
CSA (Current Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex6 February 2019
The work isn't difficult but something to do to pass time, the main reason I like my job is because I like the people I work with, if I didn't then I'm sure it'd be very different.
Pros
you can have a chat with people, fairly chill environment
Cons
you only get 10% off for working there, managers are usually more serious than is needed.
Its a job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Yapton, West Sussex3 February 2019
working at coop is not dull nor entertaining its good excersie if you go hunting jobs and tasks. however at the end of the day it'll pay bills and help develop interpersonal skills
Repetative workplace
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex21 January 2019
Although I found the work repetitive it really helped with my self confidence and I learned how to deal with the public and be punctual and well presented.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 January 2019
Very good company and colleagues. Very safe and fun place to work in. Half hour PAID break and the week before payday we get a 20 % off. Overall very nice place to work in :)
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Mostly late shifts :(
Not much support
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Junction Road16 January 2019
Upper management very bad at supprting store staff. Quite cliquey in stores. Good job just depends on team around you. Quite high turnover. You have to fit in with who is there and their way of working. If not it is quite lonely.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short notice rota changes. No appeciation for good work
Awful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romsey, Hampshire6 January 2019
There isn't much good to say about southern co operative, your a number not a person the amount of work you do with no recognition is disgusting if your a CSA you're treated even worse by managers like you're beneath them and lack of promotion unless your a favourite. They cannot keep members of staff and you will begin to dislike your life working here. I would not recommended it at all unless you enjoy drama, gossip and favouritism. Theres no well done just profit profit profit. Would never work for this company again and the collauges are the only ones which will get you through the life of stacking shelfs and being talked to horribly for peanuts. Management is awdul and everyone is out for there self no team work just gossip and lies. the reason why there always looking for new team members is because everyone always leaves. I wish i read the reviews before proceeding with this career wasted a year of my life.
Pros
Collauges
Cons
Just don't waste your time.
No communication, expected to do jobs that is not related to pay, management is no help
Customer Service Assistant, running post office (Current Employee) –  Weston portland8 December 2018
Expected to do jobs that is above pay rate but if goes wrong management throw it back at you, put down to do overtime without being asked first, struggle to get breaks as get forgotten about and moral is really liw
Pros
Local and convenient
Cons
Store run very badly
poor workplace nasty upper management
DUTY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Surrey12 November 2018
unless you can work any hours they want you to work they will try their best to get rid of you in addition to this it also has the highest turnover in a work place ive ever worked in. I have also had to deal with staff complaining about other managers being innapropriate and hitting on them which is probably a first.
Pros
free training and paid travel to training
Cons
always getting robbed
Difficult Workplace
Customer Service Assistant/Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  East Preston23 October 2018
Staff were generally good. Wages were poor and hours were often short. Management were very out of their depth and often relied on the customer service agents to complete their tasks. When promoted to duty manager, I would be doing 75% of the tasks as the staff would do very little or work as a slow pace. This does not apply to all staff members, just a select few. Hours could be negotiable, however, often let down.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sturminster Newton12 October 2018
There was flawsof course but the people, who aren't management, we're the best people to work with, yes the job got tedious but you have to stick it out until I wanted a different career path.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Generally a great place to work
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Eastbourne28 September 2018
Great place to work, pay is about average for retail. The level of work/life balance depends on the store and staffing.

Some stores are small and you work 1 manager to 1 CSA 95% of the time which can be stressful.

As part of the management team you have to take courses which if you're retail/management experienced can be fairly dull but it you're new to the business you could learn a lot.
Great people. Awful management
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bath10 September 2018
Spent over year working for TSC, managed to mess up two of my paycheques, each time never getting an actual apology. Upper Managment is poor and staff communication is also poor. Although some colleagues I met working there are great friends now, that’s the only thing this place has going for it.
Pros
Meet new people.
Cons
Short breaks, distant management, overwhelmed with worked, guilt tripping to do overtime
Dont work there
CSA (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire1 September 2018
This has to be the most badly organised company to work for.
Management are rude and do little or no work.
Its one of those places where if your face fits you will be ok.
It doesn't matter how much work you do there will be no respect. But others can do no work at all and have plenty of respect.
People get promoted who have no experience and no idea how to do the job .
When you finally decide enough is enough and you leave you get no reaction to your leaving and will get underpaid in your final payslip.
Pros
free parking
Cons
no respect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Co-op. Our community is ready to answer.