Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom14 reviews
is challenging, fast pace, good team work, learning oportunities, the most enjoyable part of the job is patient satisfaction, the hardest part of the job is short staff
I joined the trust with a view to helping people and have really enjoyed working with a variety of patients. I was working in a specialised unit so had to learn new skills. The on the job training was sporadic and not uniform across staff. Some nurses didnt know how certain machines worked or operated as they never used them. Very task focused and not holistic or collaborative at times. Refusing to pick up rubbish because it is not their role. What ever happened to pride?

The manager of the unit was dishonest and rude despite a very stressful personal situation. She demonstrated the classic bad management technique of telling people what to do but then not doing it herself. I remember one occasion where she offered to paint peoples nails and I asked and she refused. It is against the policy of the trust to have painted nails.

The unit was clicky and I was not made to feel welcome, not being invited out. There was a real disconnect between the theatre teams and outpatients teams. This was really hard to feel like we were "One Team, Working together."

I had a nurse berate me and berate me until which point I stood upto her. She went to the deputy manager and tried to complain saying that i had been abusive. I had already spoke to them about her and she was removed. I was assured she would be gone but she was back a week later. She did leave me alone after that.

The place is falling to bits in places, water leaking on corridors. Poor standards of cleanliness and management that just don't seem to care. Told me that i was not working within my role but i was. She was
 - more...
Pros
Some staff very nice and patient care is so rewarding
Cons
Long hours, poor pay and rude colleagues
A great place to work. Good team, good management. Fantastic working hours, holidays and pay. Always supportive if you wanted to learn other work areas.
Southend hospital is a high quality health care provider where.customer/patient experience is of the highest priority I was very proud to manage the radiotherapy quality system in conjunction with the consultant physicist. The staff participated with enthusiasm in the running of the quality system as they could see the benefits both for the patients and staff and to have the protocols on PDF to facilitate the processes. The staff are regularly updated on changes to systems and participate in any relevant changes and are trained accordingly. Staff are encouraged to further their continuing professional development and are given the appropriate time out to achieve this to a high standard. Patient information is regularly updated as necessary and patient satisfaction surveys regularly completed at least annually. An audit system is in place which is inspected by the kings fund care quality commission and an independent quality accreditation body
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Multi taski
A typical day at work evolves performing holistic assessment of patient including physical examination to ensure safe delivery of care, great outcome and patient experience. I adhered to my professional code of conduct, the 6C and the hospital policies and guideline to enhance performance.
Everyday is a new learning, as an open learner I embrace learning from any grade of staff, and patient.

The management could be more visible.

The work place culture is to work and give safe care in a caring environment with compassion, commitment, confidence and be accountable.

The hardest part of the job is breaking bad news, cancelling patients who requires further investigation / optimisation before proceeding for surgery.

Sharing knowledge and experience with staff, being valued by colleagues and patient through feedback and thank you cards gives me joy
I worked in Blenheim ward, it was a great time to work in that team. Manager is amazing with firm personality and understanding. It's a busy ward but you can meet excellent colleagues there.
Pros
Work life balance, good pay
Cons
Busy but manageable with team work.
Everyone counts, Everyone is included. SUH has a STAY at Southend ethos and Managers train to actively resolve issues and retain staff. Always jobs to do, training courses to enrol on. An excellent employer with good incentives.
Too many promises, very few met. Not good at training. No job plan for future advancement. Expected to manage unknown situations and never happy with the way they are dealt with. Very long shifts, deducted hours for breaks, but doesn't have regular as such, understaffed, bullying, management doesn't care for employees, etc.
Pros
First job only
Cons
Everything else
Overworked, understaffed, management really dont care about their staff as long as figures and targets are met they are happy. Extremely clicky (not what you know but who you know!)
Pros
Meeting lovely patients
Not the best of places to work despite the hype. Too many chiefs and not enough honest workers. A maintenance division who were plainly useless & overworked doctor/nurses/midwives.
Pros
A decent way to help the needy
Cons
An indecent wage & management
An excellent place to work for permanent staff but awful if your working on the bank, no support from management, very clicky and they will "let you go" at the drop of a hat.
Pros
Patients and staff
Cons
Temporary staffing management
Sit at an available desk, log into a computer, check emails, reply, check messages on the answer phone and deal with them, photo copying or faxing that needs to be done
Pros
There is always something to do
my time at southend university hospital was both challenging and educational. I worked with a team that were always willing to help me move forward. My knowledge and experience with colleagues and patients was both productive and humbling.
Pros
meeting people from all walks of life which has expanded myself in many areas
Cons
long hard but rewarding hours
During some parts of the day, work can become quite stressful and demanding due to the number of samples coming in. I learnt a lot of vocabulary and new skills that would help to develop me should I want to follow this field of work in the future. Co- workers were friendly and treated me like their own. I enjoyed working at the machinery.