SOUTHEND-ON-SEA BOROUGH COUNCIL

SOUTHEND-ON-SEA BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom9 reviews
I spent the first year here as a rolling contract PA and was passed over for another person during a restructure. The reason I was given was that I had no line management but I knew this could be easily rectified. I was given another role after the EA went on long term sick leave.
Always someone different to talk to and learn from, good work life balance offered. Areas to break out if you need time to work quietly. Many different people to share with from different backgrounds
Pros
working from home
Cons
pay
I worked as a Finance Officer for 15 years. The job hours were flexible and I worked as part of a large friendly team.
Job security wasn't good due to government cuts.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Overall a good place to work in. Managers were under pressure and this did filter down to the staff on the ground. good comradeship amongst staff yet very professional.
Consideration for employees comfort and wellbeing to produce an efficient workforce is used. A quiet office is encouraged and observed. Good facilities for the staff, although parking is a big issue.
Pros
Good catering facilities
Cons
Bad expensive parking
This is, for me, a positive and challenging place to work. The positive experiences I have had will stay with me for a lifetime and have supported my learning, not just academically but for my core personality and outlook on life.
Pros
A sense of 'doing good'.
Cons
Low pay
Volunteering at my local library normally twice a week. My favourite task is collecting reservations (e.g. books and DVDs), for people who have reserved them to collect from other libraries. I also deal with other basic library tasks such as issuing and shelving library books, providing general library information, tidying the shelves and library area and signing on new library members. Even when it's very quite, there is often always something to do. Busiest time I'd say is Friday mid-morning, when there is the story and nursery rhymes sessions (provided by other volunteers), as there are often many parents with babies and toddlers returning and loaning out books. The quietest time I often find sometimes is Saturday morning. Overall, I do not regret becoming a volunteer for my local library. It has gained me better confidence in customer service and working in a library environment.
Pros
10 minute walk from home, get on well with the other staff and volunteers, improves my customer service skills, in an environment that suits me (a library)
Cons
Computer system sometimes plays up (which can affect the self-service machines and public computers)
My role is extremely busy and varied, which is the most enjoyable aspect for me personally, although the days can be pretty long.
I have learned a lot of new skills and ways of working, which has been hugely beneficial to me.

Overall it is quite an in-depth, highly senstive role but is pretty enjoyable.
Pros
Busy, Varied, Interesting
Cons
Long Hours, No Overtime
Great people, Council of year for 2011.

Super implementation although it did take longer than planned.

The hardest part of the job was managing expectations and the most enjoyable part was solving problems and delivering new functionality.
Pros
full agresso implementation including hr.
Cons
dedicated hard working staff would benefit from more training.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SOUTHEND-ON-SEA BOROUGH COUNCIL?