Southeastern Railway Employee Reviews

Stressful and Difficult
Depot Manager (Former Employee) –  Hastings28 September 2018
Most of the time trying to manage at Southeastern is spent making sure that applicable blame is apportioned anywhere it can be. Line managers seem to kick rather than coach and never visit the workplace.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Unachievable targets and not allowed to manage
A changed workplace
MG1 HR Trainer/Assessor (Former Employee) –  Kent11 September 2018
My job was to deliver operational training to employees covering mainly railway safety and Conductor/Onboard Manager rules. This training was classroom, practical or live based. I learned a great deal particularly in the areas covering customer service and Learning and Development needs and skills. I managed small and large groups of employees and I was responsible for organising and planning my own training days and schedules. I was also responsible for trainee work related issues such as timekeeping, absence etc, during their time spent with me. Working for the railway was very enjoyable, however like most industries things do change and unfortunately the later changes to the board and senior management were not for the better. The hardest part of my job was having to inform a staff member if they didn't make the grade.The best part of my job was seeing the pleasure on trainees faces once they completed and passed their training.
Pros
Free Rail and discounted travel. Good wages
Cons
No protection for management grades
Great benefits and good security
Yard Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kent25 July 2018
Good place to progress if you have the right attitude, not a place for people that want to progress but have no get up and go though. Need to be self motivated to get things done due to the lack of management support from above.
Overall good salary and benefits and a decent workplace
Great people to work with
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashford16 March 2018
Support was given most of the time,but when it comes putting there values they have set contradict its self I only want help me fellow workmate.for a example if money went missing it would be different story but it did not, all because I didn't for the company laws
Pros
Free train travel for myself and family
Cons
Truth
Not for me
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 February 2018
Not for me, ok job if you don't want to do a lot of work. Great money and perks for travel but for me not enough to do. Do not take this job if you don't like cold weather
Pros
Money
Cons
Shifts
company
area supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tonbridge, Kent10 January 2018
a good company to work for with good benefits and a good management team.
working together as a team or on your own there is always support at hand to help with any situation that may arise.
Never again
Gateline Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London12 December 2017
No job security no personal security HATED it ! Management couldn’t arrange a picnic let alone maintain a whole network. Station staff picked up brunt of delays etc. Worst company
Pros
Wages were amazing
Good team
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  London30 September 2017
i learned that it is important to work as part of a team and deliver a great service together we deliver a better service. staff are great fun and enjoyed working with them
Good employer that seeks to look after its staff
Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent29 August 2017
Southeastern has a lot of negative press, however as an employer they do spend time and resources striving to achieve investors in people awards and then live by those principles.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Customers are very unforgiving and the role is very confrontational
Very Pleasant place to work
Sales (Current Employee) –  Kent17 August 2017
I work in a small village station and find the customers very friendly and pleasant. Station Managers and Area Managers are all on hand if necessary to assist with queries, some are better than others but overall they all want to help. Limited training is provided and you are thrown in at the deep end which becomes a sink or swim issue but you have to learn as you go along by getting told about your mistakes.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
No flexibility in working times
Good local place to work
Customer Sales (Former Employee) –  Chatham14 August 2017
Working shifts could mean an early start or afternoon start answering questions giving information and selling rail products.
Weekly visit by management, work alone or with other employee.
Hardest part is answering questions when you can't give a definite answer delays etc.
Great to have helped someone who appreciates your time and effort
Pros
Free train travel
Cons
Shift work
Being a booking clerk
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath,Welling and Eltham27 July 2017
A typical work day would be to unlock stations/ticket office. Log on to my computer and deal with customer/general publics needs. Cash handling, and selling tickets, giving out customer information. Hardest part of my job was dealing with large numbers of customers when there was service disruption on the train service.Most enjoyable part was meeting new people and getting customer satisfaction.
Pros
Shift work, and being part of a team
Cons
Having to deal with situation which are out of my control
Stressful but fun and long lasting
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chatham, Kent11 July 2017
I joined the railway in May 2000. During this time I did various different roles in an office based environment (apart from when I worked on the platform). Being a Roster Clerk was a skilled job, using specific rostering programs. It could at times be very stressful but we worked well together as a team which helped us to produce some good work.
Pros
Free and discounted train travel
Cons
Very stressful
Productive and fun workplace
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London17 June 2017
Various professions available. Good career prospects throughout.
Opportunities to work with all aspects of delivering reliable trains and good passenger service while giving excellent value for money.
A varied busy workload.
Team Organiser (Former Employee) –  St Pancras, Greater London2 May 2017
Manager was flexible and open to new ways of working. Liaison with other departments could be difficult as everyone is working to own objectives. I enjoyed my time here.
Pros
Free travel on many train services.
Excellent work colleagues
HR Project Support (Current Employee) –  Tonbrigde4 February 2017
From day one I enjoyed working with all the staff including front line staff, managers and directors.
My days involved meeting new staff, training staff, running projects, reporting to senior managers, working with external agencies and managing my own time.
The culture at SE is that most like their jobs and would stay for the duration of their work life.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Productive and nice people to work with
Customer Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southwark5 April 2016
On a typical day, I would be responding to passenger complaints via email and letter. I learned a lot about writing a letter and how to provide excellent customer service. I got on very well with my co-workers and we're all friends outside of work. The hardest part of the job was responding to managing directors letters and the best part was working with my colleagues.
Pros
free train travel
Cons
management not very understanding
Good Place to Work
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Tonbridge7 February 2016
Great team and work with some excellent people. Good benefits and overall making improvements for employees and passengers.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Old Infrastructure
decent work place
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  london victoria28 January 2016
Fantastic place to work. Friendly management and co-workers. I have learned a lot here. learned all routes of southeastern railway towards Kent, Dealing with large number of passengers.

Difficult when there is disruption but can pass on information to the customers as much as possible.

Dispatch trains on time. It's all about team work and safety. you have to make sure you follow rules and regulation an bylaws.

Interesting to see wide variety of passengers and behavior especially on Friday nights.
Pros
free travel
Cons
shift work
A typical day in the life of a Yard P.D.E.
First as a trainee Ground Shunter (Former Employee) –  Slade Green.3 October 2015
Arrive at work always early. 08:00
Book on duty.
Find out If there is anything urgent which needs attending to. Such as sickness or staff shortages.
Assist Y.M.C. with paperwork for the shift. Assist in the running of the Control room until the service is made and has left the depot.
Go through paperwork over the phone with the Production office.
Check with the planners to see if they require any changeovers in service during the shift.
Inform Production of our stock balancing requirements for the shift.
Make up service and ensure that the cleaning targets are met. And the heavy clean units are positioned as early as possible.
Carry out safety check on the required section of the yard as per the rota.
Ensure that all staff working in the yard are wearing the correct PPI and hold the correct safety certificates for the task in hand.
Check with staff for any issues or problems that may have arisen or are likely to arise in the near future I.E. Leave.
Communicate with other sections of the company and depot to assist them in there roles. Such as delay attribution and such like.
Ensure that the correct minimum staffing levels are available for the next 2 shifts. And find cover if there is a shortfall.
Ensure that the Control room is tidy and clear of rubbish (No overflowing bins)
Complete forms and records of activities during the shift.
During this time assist the YMC as required in the forming up of the evening service trains.
Update any notices on the information boards at the booking on point.
Advise KICC if there is likely to be a shortage of stock as required.
  more...
At 16:00 Book on the panel and take over from the YMC.
Complete the dispatch of the final services leaving the depot.
Complete the service sheet as a record of any shortages or late starts from the depot.
Complete the late starts record sheet as required.
Create the paperwork for the on coming shift and highlight urgent items on the stock telex and Genius sheets.
Assist the KICC with reforming defective service trains that they bring into the depot.
Monitor the oncoming staff for drugs and alcohol to ensure company policy is upheld.
Carry out the handover at the end of the shift to the on coming YMC.
Book off and go home. Normally later than shown on the roster.
Get ready for the next shift.
Pros
Good salary, Good Benifits, Friendly atmosphere.
Cons
Sometime a bit same old, Same old, When quiet.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southeastern Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

Southeastern Railway Reviews by Location