Southeastern Railway

Southeastern Railway Employee Reviews

United Kingdom36 reviews
Good money and benefits but not good if you're a parent wanting more time with family. Be prepared to do forced overtime and check your given the proper training for the job
Southeastern treat their staff the same way they treat their customers. Very badly. Very much a toxic culture with no values, no recognition and not an environment that breeds working in collaboration.
Cons
Productive role with good potential but the company takes ages to do anything.

Training is offered regularly but to move up the exams are hard.

There was nothing enjoyable apart from my role.
There was a definite bullying culture from senior managers which manifested by subordinates making decisions based on fear of reaction. There are too many people looking for opportunities to put the knife in.
I really enjoyed and loved working at southeastern until my unfair dismissal. 95% of the employees are really caring and helpful people and always help others when in need.
As a shunter driver at Grove park I saw managers bring in friends and family and quickly get promoted, no one seems to keep control on the middle managers.
I saw some nasty accidents that were swept under the carpet. Money is terrible for doing shift work.
- Good benefits working within the railway industry.
- People are generally nice and easy to get on with.

- The potential progression within the company is great
Great job meet all walks of life. Mind the management though they will stab you in the back if it makes them look good they try to justify their jobs. Mind your backs
Pros
Plenty of free time
Cons
Shift patterns
Worked at Southeastern Railways for a while, very good company to work for. Only problem was the manager who treated me with such contempt, awful environment to be working in.
Pros
Flexi hours
Cons
Contempt manager
Great line manager
Good Team

Great work-life balance

Central London location with great transport links

Could offer better job career advancement opportunities
I have been gateline at variuos stations around Kent and Llondon.i love my role of checking tickets season cards photo I'd to support these ect. The role is demanding at times but very enjoyable . I have made a lot of friends I so wish to join southeastern full time this would make me happy . The station supervisors and managers are very supportive and let you get on with the job in hand I have learnt basic platform duties ie Lewisham and customer service is at the top of this. My overall impression is if you want a career with Southeastern my advice to you is work hard be a team player always and put the customers first remember they pay our wages be it through an agency or the company.
Pros
A great working environment helpfull staffing team
Cons
For me none realy it is what you make of it.
To my own experience some managers at London Bridge Station
does not treat every employees equally as far as my opinion is concern may be because of their long stay in one station.
Pros
no free lunches
Cons
Most of the time trying to manage at Southeastern is spent making sure that applicable blame is apportioned anywhere it can be. Line managers seem to kick rather than coach and never visit the workplace.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Unachievable targets and not allowed to manage
My job was to deliver operational training to employees covering mainly railway safety and Conductor/Onboard Manager rules. This training was classroom, practical or live based. I learned a great deal particularly in the areas covering customer service and Learning and Development needs and skills. I managed small and large groups of employees and I was responsible for organising and planning my own training days and schedules. I was also responsible for trainee work related issues such as timekeeping, absence etc, during their time spent with me. Working for the railway was very enjoyable, however like most industries things do change and unfortunately the later changes to the board and senior management were not for the better. The hardest part of my job was having to inform a staff member if they didn't make the grade.The best part of my job was seeing the pleasure on trainees faces once they completed and passed their training.
Pros
Free Rail and discounted travel. Good wages
Cons
No protection for management grades
Good place to progress if you have the right attitude, not a place for people that want to progress but have no get up and go though. Need to be self motivated to get things done due to the lack of management support from above.
Overall good salary and benefits and a decent workplace
Support was given most of the time,but when it comes putting there values they have set contradict its self I only want help me fellow workmate.for a example if money went missing it would be different story but it did not, all because I didn't for the company laws
Pros
Free train travel for myself and family
Cons
Truth
Not for me, ok job if you don't want to do a lot of work. Great money and perks for travel but for me not enough to do. Do not take this job if you don't like cold weather
Pros
Money
Cons
Shifts
a good company to work for with good benefits and a good management team.
working together as a team or on your own there is always support at hand to help with any situation that may arise.
No job security no personal security HATED it ! Management couldn’t arrange a picnic let alone maintain a whole network. Station staff picked up brunt of delays etc. Worst company
Pros
Wages were amazing
Cons
i learned that it is important to work as part of a team and deliver a great service together we deliver a better service. staff are great fun and enjoyed working with them
Southeastern has a lot of negative press, however as an employer they do spend time and resources striving to achieve investors in people awards and then live by those principles.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Customers are very unforgiving and the role is very confrontational