Southampton City Council

Southampton City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom62 reviews
never had any worries there. complete a minimum of 2 domestic tests a day within the Southampton area. can be frustrating if no one answers but they did have back up work to fill your day. wish I could have stayed longer but needed to move on.
Pros
good rate of pay, good atmosphere.
Cons
can be a bit of a long day
Lost my job over lies and managers having favouritism. When trying to sack an employee for gross misconduct I think the council should at least do better investigations before letting 1-2 head people decide someone’s job.
Pros
Work force
Cons
Managers
A good team that was able to tackle on the challenges heads on with fun and calm approaches. Every challenge had a smooth outcome with every scenario going according to plan.
Busy and fast-paced. Everyone was very friendly and willing to offer support. Very flexible with working hours and accomodating to people who live further away.
would reccomend working here as there are excellent pay rates
there are nice people to work with and who are finding out ways on how as a whole southampton can change. within different areas of southampton, in southampton city council there are different topic to discuss, for example (transport).
I liked it to help out. to welcome people at the docks. to advice them to the correct Bus. To tell about the City and Museums in the Bus. To bring them retour to the Ship and to pack up
Good environment to work in,lots of nice people.No chance for progression at all really and you are just seen as a number by the people at the top.Great job if you want to get by on a ok wage but if you ever want more you have no choice but to leave.Majority of workers are over 40 and it isn't really aimed at taking on younger people.
I was there for only a temporary contract where there was a lot of change and redundancies being made so I do not believe I had a great insight into normal practice as it was an unusual time. Friendly environment and I was happy with the pay.
. As far as i was working it was good for me after i left i don't know that .the hardest part of the job was i used work different court weekdays
Southampton CC are a good employer with their employees welfare a priority .
Training whilst on the job is very good and critical in assisting the Computer Operations side of the business .

Night shifts can be long, however essential in providing 24hour cover for processing letters and data services to other service centres and public.

The staff are supportive and cooperate to reach a team desired goal .
Working in education is at a fast pace and ever changing. It is very rewarding to see children's progression and acheivments. A good work ethic and Growth Mindset is key to being part of a team.
ok in all - good place to work

I felt trusted to do the right thing by managers, This gave me the freedom to work autonomously and deliver the best results possible with minimal micro-management.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low paid
Indeed is telling me to complete this. it keeps telling me there is an error each time I try to submit this. I think they need to ask rather than force people to right this.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
smells
You are but a number. You only get on if you fit in. Managers want the job done whether it can be or not is irrelevant.
Pros
There are no pros apart from there is life outside
Cons
Everyday is different, some projects are to help the community and the city
Front line staff are largely ignored by management, there is a culture of what do you expect me to do about it?
Too much box ticking instead of being out there.

Lack of support
Pros
Paid holiday leave
Cons
Overworked as too few staff
If your a yes person and don't want to move up and your face fits your ok. Only decent thing is the wages. No support system and over worked in some areas. To quick to want to get rid of people if they ask questions.
Pros
Wages
Cons
No two days the same, essential to prioritise workload on a daily basis.
All aspects of Tenancy Management including Court Action where necessary.

Keep up to date with Void turnaround to reduce income loss.

Attend Residents/Tenants Meetings out of hours.

Work with internal and external agencies including Police , Probation, Adult Services, Medical Services, Support Workers, Social Workers and other Council Departments.

Always ensuring professional standards in both oral and written communication and especially provide excellent Customer Service.
Pros
Varied and interesting role.
Cons
High workload meaning less time top achieve everthing.
Everything changes quickly and management have little control over the workload or decisions so your work can shift quickly.

Meetings galore and not productive meetings!
There is a great flexibility in ensuring a good relationship with the work place and your family life. great fun place to work in with really lovely friendly people. very relaxed atmosphere as well.
If you are keen on continuing professional or personal development, thenyou are in the wrong place.
Pros
flexibility in terms of hours; very relaxed environment
Cons
benefits are not useful
I only worked here for a week. I would meet up with a warden and help him/her with tasks such as cleaning and maintenance. This taught me how to follow instructions, how to work well under a budget and to use my initiative. There was also ample opportunity to interact with members of the public during work. Overall the job wasn't very strenuous, everybody was very friendly and helpful
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southampton City Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Southampton City Council Reviews by Location