South and City College Birmingham

Good hours

Good hours

Good cdd

Good money
Students are great to work with and the staff are very helpful. Loved working there and would love to return. Great place to work and is easy to access.
Pros
Finish same time as students
Cons
You start 15 minutes early each day with no pay
It’s a college I go there to study I don’t get paid for learning i go to the college to learn how to work on a car and improve and fix costumers cars.
Supportive team who were friendly and there was lots of humour in the office. Good communication, great line - manager. Senior management in this large college were distant from workers on the ground floor so not fully aware of your job role in reality. My role was new so I was inventing it as I went along so I felt it was not fully understood by management. Good working terms, pension scheme and holidays. Hardest thing is to progress to a higher role?
Great hours, great pay, great people. Work/life balance is good. A college workplace always seems daunting especially when college is somewhere you have just come out of. South and City are great and made me feel welcome even at all the different campuses.
Staff are very friendly and helpful, I was able to develop my confidence with ease and learn core IT. skills. Careers support were very useful and pointed me in the right direction. A good experience overall.
Pros
Near city centre
I enjoyed meeting new people with a wide variety of nationalities and cultures. It was a really rewarding job and the students were lovely. I learned a lot about the ESOL specification
Great company to work for, the staff are are fantastic. Steady workload, (some typical public sector excessive paperwork) and good atmosphere. Some campuses are not in the most 'sort after' locations to work out of but the environment inside makes it very pleasant. For those looking to progress and work in a fast paced environment with potential to climb the ladder fast, this is not for you. Lack of exposure and inclusion at lower levels hinders growth. Overall and nice place, and if you enjoy coming in, doing your job and going home this is perfect. Some improvement to processes and faster development to keep up with industry this would be the best place to work in the West Midlands. New blood at higher levels needed to inject innovation.
Pros
Compassionate Principle, great staff, decent salary
Cons
Lack of progression, slow moving, more innovation
I am currently working for south&city college and have been as security for the past 10/12years at Bordesley campus I have seen staff come and go staff at Bordesley are very helpful same as management .they are best people to work along with its s theriving college with plenty of courses available for the students of all ages
A day work is simply contacting certain students about their attendance towards the college. Furthermore, moving certain instruments around like boxes and typing certain spread sheets where the skills available to me.
Pros
Long break periods
Cons
Lifting Heavy Boxes
The former South Birmingham College took over City College a few years ago to form SCCB, and has now merged with Bournville College resulting in one of the largest colleges in the UK, with sites spread across south and central Birmingham.

The scores were based on conditions a few years ago, but things have got more difficult since in the whole of the further education sector. The teaching contract is still one of the better ones; hopefully the management can keep it that way.
Pros
One of the better teaching contracts
Cons
Variable environments depending on the campus
The overall role was very good, I was able to develop my skills within a professional environment all while gaining a qualification.

I found that I was given many opportunities whilst working at the college, and when needed, was provided with endless professional and personal support.

It's a good way to kick start your career, however, the may not necessarily keep you on following the end of your apprenticeship.
Pros
free parking
When I was doing construction it was a hard working fun day for me really because when I entered into the room I start away got my head down and started building walls after walls never was I late I was all ways on time
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
7 hours
working for sccb was rather enjoyable, I learned about new tools and new methods for completing tasks. I was studying there before I got the job so it made it a lot easier for me to fit in. Staff and management were outstanding.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
travelling distance
I found the employer very unsupportive. I applied for a job but on starting role it was clear the role was not as advertised, I would not recommend this employer at all.
Pros
Cons
Good Salary
South and City College Birmingham is an excellent organisation to work for. having worked in several departments within this company I can say I enjoyed each role. There is substantial support and training given to staff, and colleagues treat each other with respect. The work environment is suitable for getting the job done sufficiently.
Pros
excellent work environment
I start at 7.00 and prepare timber products for the classes for the day. Classes start at 9.00 typically and my day is filled with on going needs of learners and lecturers. I stock take materials required and obtain quotes by talking to suppliers or by email. I look after the budget by keeping a log of expenditure and inform my line manager of the running total. I used to run a team of 5 people, but now we are 3. I organise their timetables and their working day.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Awkward car journey
I was teacher assistant at SCCB, where I really enjoyed. My duty was help the students who found difficulty in leaning maths. I worked with teen age students and it was a really great and ow some experience.
i was a level 2 apprentice, with no previous experience. working has boosted my confidence and improved my skills.

a typical day at work was different everyday, as an assistant administrator i assisted the administrators/managers and other staff with general admin support
Pros
hours
I worked at south and city college by 9 years.
I have good experience and I meet friendly nice people.It was morning job start5.30 And finish 7.30.
Excellent team work from start to finish, teachers cater for the needs of students with different levels; Here to Help point throughout the college, time flies by really quickly
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short breaks