South and City College Birmingham Employee Reviews

Slow Progression
Business Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Birmingham14 May 2019
Great company to work for, the staff are are fantastic. Steady workload, (some typical public sector excessive paperwork) and good atmosphere. Some campuses are not in the most 'sort after' locations to work out of but the environment inside makes it very pleasant. For those looking to progress and work in a fast paced environment with potential to climb the ladder fast, this is not for you. Lack of exposure and inclusion at lower levels hinders growth. Overall and nice place, and if you enjoy coming in, doing your job and going home this is perfect. Some improvement to processes and faster development to keep up with industry this would be the best place to work in the West Midlands. New blood at higher levels needed to inject innovation.
Pros
Compassionate Principle, great staff, decent salary
Cons
Lack of progression, slow moving, more innovation
Best college to work for
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Bordesley Green10 January 2019
I am currently working for south&city college and have been as security for the past 10/12years at Bordesley campus I have seen staff come and go staff at Bordesley are very helpful same as management .they are best people to work along with its s theriving college with plenty of courses available for the students of all ages
Assistant Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 December 2018
A day work is simply contacting certain students about their attendance towards the college. Furthermore, moving certain instruments around like boxes and typing certain spread sheets where the skills available to me.
Pros
Long break periods
Cons
Lifting Heavy Boxes
One of the biggest colleges in the UK
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 September 2018
The former South Birmingham College took over City College a few years ago to form SCCB, and has now merged with Bournville College resulting in one of the largest colleges in the UK, with sites spread across south and central Birmingham.

The scores were based on conditions a few years ago, but things have got more difficult since in the whole of the further education sector. The teaching contract is still one of the better ones; hopefully the management can keep it that way.
Pros
One of the better teaching contracts
Cons
Variable environments depending on the campus
An apprenticeship at SCCB
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Birmingham11 June 2018
The overall role was very good, I was able to develop my skills within a professional environment all while gaining a qualification.

I found that I was given many opportunities whilst working at the college, and when needed, was provided with endless professional and personal support.

It's a good way to kick start your career, however, the may not necessarily keep you on following the end of your apprenticeship.
Pros
free parking
Construction
Construction (Former Employee) –  Ladywood25 January 2018
When I was doing construction it was a hard working fun day for me really because when I entered into the room I start away got my head down and started building walls after walls never was I late I was all ways on time
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
7 hours
good working environment
Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham3 January 2018
working for sccb was rather enjoyable, I learned about new tools and new methods for completing tasks. I was studying there before I got the job so it made it a lot easier for me to fit in. Staff and management were outstanding.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
travelling distance
Poor Employer
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 November 2017
I found the employer very unsupportive. I applied for a job but on starting role it was clear the role was not as advertised, I would not recommend this employer at all.
Pros
Cons
Good Salary
An excellent brand to work for
Student Information Assistant - Exams (Former Employee) –  Birmingham26 October 2017
South and City College Birmingham is an excellent organisation to work for. having worked in several departments within this company I can say I enjoyed each role. There is substantial support and training given to staff, and colleagues treat each other with respect. The work environment is suitable for getting the job done sufficiently.
Pros
excellent work environment
Fun and challenging workplace
Wood Machinist (Current Employee) –  Carpentry & Joinery Department6 September 2017
I start at 7.00 and prepare timber products for the classes for the day. Classes start at 9.00 typically and my day is filled with on going needs of learners and lecturers. I stock take materials required and obtain quotes by talking to suppliers or by email. I look after the budget by keeping a log of expenditure and inform my line manager of the running total. I used to run a team of 5 people, but now we are 3. I organise their timetables and their working day.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Awkward car journey
Great place for learning
Teaching Assistant (Maths) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, UK14 May 2017
I was teacher assistant at SCCB, where I really enjoyed. My duty was help the students who found difficulty in leaning maths. I worked with teen age students and it was a really great and ow some experience.
enjoyed working
Administrator Assistant Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, UK4 February 2017
i was a level 2 apprentice, with no previous experience. working has boosted my confidence and improved my skills.

a typical day at work was different everyday, as an assistant administrator i assisted the administrators/managers and other staff with general admin support
Pros
hours
Friendly workplace
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 December 2016
I worked at south and city college by 9 years.
I have good experience and I meet friendly nice people.It was morning job start5.30 And finish 7.30.
Team Work
Head English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham9 September 2016
Excellent team work from start to finish, teachers cater for the needs of students with different levels; Here to Help point throughout the college, time flies by really quickly
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Best job I've had so far
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG6 October 2015
I worked at the college for over five years, due to reasons I had to leave.
Great set of people to work with. I made loads of friends who I am still in contact with. I worked with an amazing team of diverse people and when we came together it was dynamite!
My working environment was lively, diverse never a dull day. I had a great reception supervisor who was absolutely brilliant.
When I started at the college I was quite shy and reserved but, with the help of colleagues I grew into a very confident woman. Working at the college enabled me to express myself freely. it wasn't all roses and pink bows, there were trying times as well which is expected in any work environment.
There were so many opportunities and benefits not just for staff but also extended to our families.
A great place to work especially if you have a team that fits and you all get along.
Pros
Staff support/ staff benefits, no two day is the same.
Cons
Staff shortages.
Great atmosphere and Staff
Placement Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG30 June 2015
Busy and enjoyable work day with varied activities.
Management in contact but not micro managed.
Hardest part of job to attract students to take up placement.
Pros
Too many to list
Cons
Commuting to site
hard working atmosphere
Pastoral Learning Mentor (Current Employee) –  Walsall, ENG20 March 2015
the job was very hard but great. When working at McDonalds I had many different roles from cooking, cleaning and serving customers
Pros
free dinners
South and City
English Lecturer/ Course Tutor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG25 December 2014
Its quite good to work for this company and I am quite happy but need a more stable job.
Productive, everyday I learnt something new.
Administrator (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG24 November 2014
I enjoyed working there. I used to work on my own and plan my work in order to meet the dead line. I have put one star on a Salary section as this was a volunteer work so there was not salary. Everybody was so friendly and welcoming, they always help you out if you need support. Overall it was a pleasure working there and I would mind to work as an employee.
Pros
Coffee, tea
Cons
considerable
Challenging due to funding cuts.
Business Development Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG7 August 2014
Great College to work for and people of very helpful. But due to looking funding cuts there are internal and external pressures that can be challenging.