South Yorkshire Police Employee Reviews

Working for a (dis)organisation
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Doncaster15 May 2019
Once a great career, now sadly lacking. failing to listen to Officers and staff on the ground. Deceiving the public by appearing to make policing changes such as appearing to show more Officers around. Fail to protect Officers by having them work single crewed routinely and sending them to inappropriate and sometimes dangerous jobs that require a suitable resource.Work life balance atrocious. If you want your relationships to fail apply.Otherwise steer clear.
Pros
good holiday entitlements
Cons
Lack of support, ever changing shifts, wage cuts routine
Exciting productive day at work
Business Support Clerk/Admin assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield21 March 2019
My day at work is very busy and very rewarding to help staff with the requirements they need to do their job we also carry out invoicing paying intermediaries etc
Pros
Flexi time
Satisfying but time consuming and stressful
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire4 March 2019
Very satisfying
You get out what you put in
Stressful
You cant switch off after duty
Its a way of life not just a career or job
Everyday is anew challenge
No room for personal problems
Pros
Set salary
Cons
One mistake and you will pay dearly
Very poor management
Assitant building engineer (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire28 February 2019
Working as part of the Building Engineers based in Doncaster. My line manager was a very poor people person and an even worse manager, he did not get on well with me or the previous Assistant Building Engineer who raised a grievance and was transferred to another area unfortunately I left before my grievance was processed, even most of the contractors that we used said that he was a horrible person and they hated coming to Doncaster.

He did nothing to enable me to grow in my skills and thus I didn't learn much from him, he really made life hard for me working there. I did try to make things work but it was making me depressed and not wanting to go to work which is not good for anyone. Due to these reasons I left.
Cons
Manager
Great People Work There
Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield14 February 2019
It is an improving organisation with the right people leading. It however needs an overhaul of the middle management. The roles and responsibilities of the organisation need to be clarified. A good job is being done in difficult circumstances.
Pros
Great work ethic
Cons
Long Hours
Job Security
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire16 December 2018
Good job security. Busy, fast pace environment. Flexible working location and option of continued professional development. Can be long hours at short notice.
A family
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlas Court15 November 2018
This is an organisation where you ate part of a lathe family

People pyll together and opportunities are thete if you eant yhem.

However there are still some jobs just for yhe 'boys'
Pros
Supportive and exciting
Cons
Pressurised environments
good to gain a lot of knowledge
Corporate Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire17 September 2018
being apart of south yorkshire police allows you to gain a good and varied understanding of the different departments that make up south yorkshir police
Fantastic
Police officer (Current Employee) –  Rotherham13 September 2018
really good work place and never a dull moment. Management was fantastic and the staff I worked alongside were brilliant. I had an excellent time working for this organisation.
Ideal but not satisfying
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Sheffield15 July 2018
Poor communication between supervisors and management to the point where reports was being made by cleaning operatives and no one actioned, except for people going around with a clipboard making there reports 6 months on they hadn’t been actioned through there own reports (shocking).
Pros
Work to your own
Cons
Never praised or appreciated for efforts being made
Syp day
Property Officer/Exhibit Officer (Current Employee) –  Sheffield6 April 2018
My day is very head on and we don't know what will hit until we walk in.Its very fast moving and very busy.It is very stressful but we work as a team so help is always on hand if needed.The hardest part if the job is dealing with members of the public who a lost a family member and returning items of property back to them.Management are good but due to recent cut backs they are under a lot of pressure and doing the work of two people most of the time.Best part of my job is the people I work with as we have a great team.I've learned a lot while I've worked for SYP but the best thing I've learnt is never be afraid to ask for help as I've seen others suffer by bottling feeling's up.
Pros
Flexi hours
Cons
Criminals
Police Constable/Sergeant
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Rotherham and Doncaster7 March 2018
Latterly employed as Custody Officer within a busy Custody Suite. requiring above average knowledge of law relating to detention and questioning of suspects.
Previously I was a duty Sergeant in a main town centre police station supervising and guiding a group of highly motivated police officers before I took control of the training and development of probationary officers in the District.
before promotion I was engaged as a Tutor constable, a first response officer, I was engaged within the Road POlicing Group as a patrol officer, attached to CID and within their Childs Abuse Unit
Pros
Variety of work
Great team spirit
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  sheffield7 February 2018
Great people, happy to help the team out
IT systems need to be updated.
Flexible shift patterns, Sports and Social great for family.
Would work for them again
Contact resolution officer (Current Employee) –  Atlas court25 January 2018
My job role was to answer emergency and non emergency calls from members of the public, and resolve any issues, whether that be over the phone, or by sending an officer out.

Some skills I picked up during my time there was conflict resolution, problem solving, and how to work as part of a team.

The management structure was very simple, and so I always knew who to go to for what. They are very supportive and deal with everything the best they can in line with the workplaces policies.

Everybody in the office is very friendly and it has a good working atmosphere.

The hardest part of the job however was balancing your social life with your work life, due to the shift work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of helping others when they needed it, and the many friends I made throuout my time there.
Pros
Gym in the building
Cons
Shifts
A good place overall to work
PCSO/Business Crime Reduction Officer (Former Employee) –  Barnsley3 January 2018
Attitudes changed and made people demotivated. Too much change and lots of savings added to staffs demotivation. Vehicles not always available to attend incidents. Good job satisfaction and job security overall.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Treated like second class citizens by some staff
Hardwork
Liaison and Project Officer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire11 December 2017
Many dedicated and hardworking people. Typical day is spent working closely with management and colleagues on making the community a better and safer place in which to live.
Pros
Good teamwork and professional
Cons
Long hours- little room for promotion
Good colleagues
Traffic Officer (Former Employee) –  SYP10 December 2017
Nothing to say. This won't let me say less than that so the rest is just waffle upon waffle. As stated my colleagues were fine and work in terrible situations. The organisation was another matter
Pleasant Working Atmosphere
Glass collector (Current Employee) –  the bar, UK2 November 2017
My typical shift at work involves,polishing of champagne glasses,restocking of the bar area and the collection and washing of used glasses. I have learned how to interact better with people on a social level and to take instruction from my peers. I thoroughly enjoy this job and have become a valued member of the team.
Nice culture
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire29 September 2017
Very supportive
offer flexi hours
nice culture
regulated environment
best food for lunch and breakfast
very friendly
nice place to work
the managers are very supportive
a lot of career development
Good management
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire19 June 2017
Ran efficiently and thoroughly, South Yorkshire police provides excellent training and much room for advancement. Starting as a special constable is a great way to begin a career in the SYP.