South Yorkshire Police
Here to help
Coronavirus update

South Yorkshire Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom59 reviews
Fine confidential work that is not for circulation at this current time, I am unable to discuss aspects as still working for this employer. Job is varied and interesting
Pros
Teamwork and looking out for each other
Cons
Na
The shifts are very long however the job is rewarding and the people you work alongside are friendly and hardworking.
A typical day is to read the incidents I have to manage, confirm the resources I have available and liaise with the duty SGT before allocating incidents. Throughout the day, I assess the incidents on my list, update them, make contact with callers (people reporting) and continually risk assess.
My team are tremendous, very supportive. It is very busy, but we all get along very well.
My immediate management are brilliant to work with... every day learning new things keeps the job interesting. There is friendly banter, both within the team and with other teams. I enjoy working there.

Curr
Lovely place to work

Duties include telephone and face to face case management, pre-employment screening, venipuncture, spirometry, audiometry, immunization and vaccination
Pros
sense of belonging
Cons
Volunteering for South Yorkshire Police has allowed me to engage with the public and my peers. It has also helped me develop skills which i will use in later employment.
The job status is good and looks appealing for future career moves, the role interesting but not enjoyable. The management were new and did not understand the roles within the department whilst I was there and there were more managers than staff to manage. I changed career direction totally and left after 15 years with the force and home circumstances.
Very enjoyable job and I worked for them for nearly 7 years until the Social pulled the plug on the funding for the transport to Hellaby so I had to leave.
A divers working environment, that maintains extremely high standards and professionalism. Each working day is very different from the next one, but is very rewarding.
Fair salary but more training is required for a always changing job description. Little back up from management re any complaints from either the public or police officers.
Continually used, under rated, poorly thought off.
The management are not managers they are users.

If you ask most police officers their thoughts they would probaly be the same
Perfectly fine place to work. Nice people. Clean buildings. Good to help the community, be part of something larger and positive. Make a positve difference.
Treated very poorly by management who are more like politicians. The Police Service is run by management that after Sergeant the higher ranks are so out of touch but still make decisions that are detrimental but on the back of it are rewarded with promotion. It’s a crazy way to run a public service. There is very little support and our work is totally undervalued. I often went the extra mile but after years of mistreatment I do not anymore.
I loved working there and getting job satisfaction but things changed at home and I could not give 100%. This upset me as I am a person who wants enjoy her job and give it 100% but at the same time have a work life balance.
Love working for South Yorkshire police worked there for 20 years felt valued. Excellent training given lots of advancement within the company. The pay grades were good and 30 days holiday per year.
I work in a training centre where training is delivered to Police Officers and staff from starting work with SYP and throughout their careers.
After working 30 years as a Police Officer, I now work in the Quality Assurance department of the training centre.
Once a great career, now sadly lacking. failing to listen to Officers and staff on the ground. Deceiving the public by appearing to make policing changes such as appearing to show more Officers around. Fail to protect Officers by having them work single crewed routinely and sending them to inappropriate and sometimes dangerous jobs that require a suitable resource.Work life balance atrocious. If you want your relationships to fail apply.Otherwise steer clear.
Pros
good holiday entitlements
Cons
Lack of support, ever changing shifts, wage cuts routine
Extremely busy and pressured workplace but work with some great people who become friends for life. Great team working ethic but resources not sufficient to meet demand.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Service to public could be better but this is down to resources available due to severe cutbacks
My day at work is very busy and very rewarding to help staff with the requirements they need to do their job we also carry out invoicing paying intermediaries etc
Pros
Flexi time
Very satisfying
You get out what you put in

Stressful

You cant switch off after duty

Its a way of life not just a career or job

Everyday is anew challenge

No room for personal problems
Pros
Set salary
Cons
One mistake and you will pay dearly
Working as part of the Building Engineers based in Doncaster. My line manager was a very poor people person and an even worse manager, he did not get on well with me or the previous Assistant Building Engineer who raised a grievance and was transferred to another area unfortunately I left before my grievance was processed, even most of the contractors that we used said that he was a horrible person and they hated coming to Doncaster.

He did nothing to enable me to grow in my skills and thus I didn't learn much from him, he really made life hard for me working there. I did try to make things work but it was making me depressed and not wanting to go to work which is not good for anyone. Due to these reasons I left.
Cons
Manager
It is an improving organisation with the right people leading. It however needs an overhaul of the middle management. The roles and responsibilities of the organisation need to be clarified. A good job is being done in difficult circumstances.
Pros
Great work ethic
Cons
Long Hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Yorkshire Police. Our community is ready to answer.