South West Trains Employee Reviews

Train driver weymouth to waterloo
Train Driver (Former Employee) –  Weymouth12 May 2017
Great job, throughly enjoyed it, required personal standards, to keep updated of all work and signal disruption on the line, ability to work un supervised liaising with the guard. Unfortunately this was marred by poor back up from management and union when needed.
Pros
Working independently
Cons
Union and Mangement
a very depressing place to work
csa (Former Employee) –  southamton4 April 2017
Must answer so many calls per day cctv camera on you all day times of leaving your work place and using bathroom logged
No fun to work here very low pay
Pros
free travel only if directly employed by them
Cons
1 day off for Xmas every other day worked
Very punctual and performance based
Guard (Current Employee) –  Clapham Junction, Greater London30 March 2017
A typical day consists of signing when rostered to do so, which can vary from 4am to 2pm on any given day. After signing in you collect your schedule card and check what trains you will be on for that shift. Also with the huge network you have all sorts of platforms you will be stopping whether they are curved or short platforms. After collecting your scedule card you mark it up with the necessary information so you know in advance where your low to your high PTI risk is.
Pros
Nice enviroment
Cons
shift pattern compared to other similar jobs
Good busy workplace
Safety, Risk & Change Manager (Current Employee) –  London, UK14 March 2017
I wish to continue my job at South West Trains, but have a weekend job to keep myself busy.

The business have helped me in shaping my understanding in Safety management and have even paid for my Safety qualification.

I enjoy my job as its incredibly diverse and includes areas of Safety for the whole business.
Revenue Protection Inspector
Revenue Protection Inspector (R.P.I) (Former Employee) –  London9 January 2017
Swt is a great company to work for, great pension, good salary, free uniform. Rpi was checking tickets on barriers and trains, making sure correct ticket been issued, if not dealing with the situation.
Pros
hours, pension, salary
Cons
passengers
Enjoyable hard work.
Revenue Protection Inspector (Former Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames5 November 2016
Meeting customers, giving information, selling tickets, dealing with ticketless travel, penalty fares, good teamwork being able to deal with all situations. Report writing and cautioning, taking statements was the hard part of the job, but meeting and dealing with the customers was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free travel, good wages.
Cons
Shift work.
A difficult and demanding job
Revenue Protection Inspector (Former Employee) –  Southampton31 October 2016
An interesting and varied job. However there was stress in it and liability of both verbal and physical abuse. Sometimes management may not back your decisions
Pros
Concessionary rail travel
Cons
Varied shift patterns
Friendly atmosphere with highly skilled staff
MB3 maintenance engineer (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon24 October 2016
Unfortunately for myself, the reason for leaving had nothing to do with the work. It involved a diverse range of fault finding and I enjoyed this very much. For me it was due to the 12 hour shifts rotating between days and night. IT just isn't natural to be doing such a horrendous pattern.

I felt the management were fairly on cue, although it often seemed that they were out of touch with the people at the bottom. They seemed completely oblivious to some of the negative chatter.

Apart from this though, work was usually planned out and well thought of, and the staff there are generally friendly and want to help. There are still a few of the old British Rail workers who are stuck in their own ways...but that will phase out in the next decade or so.

I would go back to work for them if I could just do day work.
Pros
benefits and wide range of work
Can be busy to work at.
Train Despatcher (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth6 August 2016
Can be busy to work at, split on two levels Southern trains,Great Western Trains and of course South western Trains run through this station.
Excellent
Commercial Assistant (Former Employee) –  London27 June 2016
The company has a great etwork of people who are passionate about the rail industry. The company has several perks!
One of the best companies i have worked for
Construction Manager - Station Projects (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke27 June 2016
Team culture and nothing is a problem.
Always support at any time including weekends. A little slow with information but this is the railway.

On contract but hope this will be extended
Pros
cheap lunch and free travel
Cons
covering too many projects all running side by side
It was ok until privatisation
Train driver (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon19 May 2016
Most local management and traincrew were alright to work with
Privatisation only made things worse initially, company management didn't listen to those working the job, axed a lot of drivers, then didn't have enough drivers to run the trains or learn new routes etc
The union was awful
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
Not enough time off
Fun place to work
Rail Operator (Customer Assistant) (Current Employee) –  london21 April 2016
Soutwest Trains is not a bad place to work for anyone that is just starting their career. There are opportunities in the company if you are ambitious.
Ticket Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  London26 January 2016
Typical day at work- helping passengers,
What I have learned- Train Networks
Management- supports staff
Co-workers- Team Players
Hardest part of the Job- N/A
Co-workers always good fun.
Clerical Officer (Current Employee) –  Twickenham8 December 2015
Working with my co-workers is always good fun, as we all get along.
Management does leave you alone to get on with your job, instead of interfering like some companies.
Company cares more about the money than anything else.
Pros
Free travel
productive
train presentation (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, ENG4 December 2015
good company, friendly, hard work, under good management would work there again with different hours and not nights. the hours were just not for me as i was looking to do day work and not night times.
Very good organistion to work within
accounts clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ENG2 December 2015
very big public sector company.
Enjoyed my time there working as a accounts clerk, a very good working team within the accounts department
Cons
only worked part time
service recovery
Duty Manager Strawberry Hill and Staines Depots (Former Employee) –  london10 November 2015
working a 24/7 shift pattern , in varied day to day conditions managing 200 + members of staff, which at times could be highly stressful or manageable.
Pros
great pensions
Cons
on call
Fun and productive
Revenue Protection Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG23 July 2015
A typical day would start at the station barriers dealing with the rush hour. We might then go and work on trains dealing with all types of people and questions. An coming back to the station to cash up.I spent ten years as a revenue protection assistant, among other duties l sell tickets. Dealing with the public at station's barriers. Liaising with bus replacement service and dealing with customers when there are no train services. Overall customer services. I learned a lot in my years about being the face of the company. I learnt and l have been on training about conflict awareness and avoidance. I work sometimes alone or with a team of other revenue protection assistant. I made friends with most of my colleagues some of which last till today. The company's management was very good. I also issue penalty fares which usually is the hardest part of my duties. The most enjoyable part is when you are able to resolve issues raised by customers.
Pros
we used get free lunches on Astcot racing week in June.
Cons
we would stand alone in the cold of open station waiting for customers to arrive from a train.
Full on transport environment
Flagship Duty Station Manager (Current Employee) –  Southampton, ENG12 July 2015
As a Flagship Duty Station Manager, I am responsible whilst on duty for the operational running of the third busiest rail station outside of London Waterloo on the South West Trains network. This is achieved as part of a management team. Three of us are Flagship Duty Station Managers. There is a lot of customer service involved, monitoring of staff and ensuring the train service is performing 'right time'.
I have learned that communication is key for both staff and passengers. This is not always possible during extreme disruption of services and the knock on effect of displaced trains and crews can delay the service recovery.
Management teams work hard to ensure things are run safely and efficiently. The management team that I work with achieve this by daily briefings and detailed handovers when starting shift.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with disruption. The most enjoyable part is knowing that you have assisted in getting travellers to where they need to be on time.
Pros
Travelling benefits.
Cons
Very early day shift starting times.