South West Trains Employee Reviews

hard workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  london waterloo17 October 2017
Its a very busy and challenging environment to work in , with over 100 million people through the station each year , It can be very tiring but also rewarding .
Pros
free Travel
Interesting and enjoyable job
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Esher25 September 2017
Starting at 6 am evey morning and opening up the station ready for the many passengers. Ensuring station was clean and safe. Management very supportive. Loved the whole culture of the railways. The hardest part of the job was being outside in all weathers. I enjoyed that every day was different.
Pros
free rail travel
Cons
very small work force.
Great benefits, quite old school
Digital & Online Marketing Executive (Current Employee) –  london24 September 2017
Can be a challenging environment due to the nature of the business but the benefits including travel are great and its like being part of a family at times.
Good for advancement
Railway Worker (Former Employee) –  Fareham27 June 2017
If you are prepared to work hard there are good chances for advancement through several courses that you can attend by applying for different positions, this will mean shift work that can start really early or finishing very late, however if you are not a go getter and are quite content with a lower level position you might get some condemnation from some management, shall we say you are looked at as dead wood.
Pros
Good pay, free rail travel and good prospects for promotion
Cons
some awful shifts
Train driver weymouth to waterloo
Train Driver (Former Employee) –  Weymouth12 May 2017
Great job, throughly enjoyed it, required personal standards, to keep updated of all work and signal disruption on the line, ability to work un supervised liaising with the guard. Unfortunately this was marred by poor back up from management and union when needed.
Pros
Working independently
Cons
Union and Mangement
a very depressing place to work
csa (Former Employee) –  southamton4 April 2017
Must answer so many calls per day cctv camera on you all day times of leaving your work place and using bathroom logged
No fun to work here very low pay
Pros
free travel only if directly employed by them
Cons
1 day off for Xmas every other day worked
Very punctual and performance based
Guard (Current Employee) –  Clapham Junction, Greater London30 March 2017
A typical day consists of signing when rostered to do so, which can vary from 4am to 2pm on any given day. After signing in you collect your schedule card and check what trains you will be on for that shift. Also with the huge network you have all sorts of platforms you will be stopping whether they are curved or short platforms. After collecting your scedule card you mark it up with the necessary information so you know in advance where your low to your high PTI risk is.
Pros
Nice enviroment
Cons
shift pattern compared to other similar jobs
Good busy workplace
Safety, Risk & Change Manager (Current Employee) –  London, UK14 March 2017
I wish to continue my job at South West Trains, but have a weekend job to keep myself busy.

The business have helped me in shaping my understanding in Safety management and have even paid for my Safety qualification.

I enjoy my job as its incredibly diverse and includes areas of Safety for the whole business.
Revenue Protection Inspector
Revenue Protection Inspector (R.P.I) (Former Employee) –  London9 January 2017
Swt is a great company to work for, great pension, good salary, free uniform. Rpi was checking tickets on barriers and trains, making sure correct ticket been issued, if not dealing with the situation.
Pros
hours, pension, salary
Cons
passengers
Enjoyable hard work.
Revenue Protection Inspector (Former Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames5 November 2016
Meeting customers, giving information, selling tickets, dealing with ticketless travel, penalty fares, good teamwork being able to deal with all situations. Report writing and cautioning, taking statements was the hard part of the job, but meeting and dealing with the customers was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free travel, good wages.
Cons
Shift work.
A difficult and demanding job
Revenue Protection Inspector (Former Employee) –  Southampton31 October 2016
An interesting and varied job. However there was stress in it and liability of both verbal and physical abuse. Sometimes management may not back your decisions
Pros
Concessionary rail travel
Cons
Varied shift patterns
Friendly atmosphere with highly skilled staff
MB3 maintenance engineer (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon24 October 2016
Unfortunately for myself, the reason for leaving had nothing to do with the work. It involved a diverse range of fault finding and I enjoyed this very much. For me it was due to the 12 hour shifts rotating between days and night. IT just isn't natural to be doing such a horrendous pattern.

I felt the management were fairly on cue, although it often seemed that they were out of touch with the people at the bottom. They seemed completely oblivious to some of the negative chatter.

Apart from this though, work was usually planned out and well thought of, and the staff there are generally friendly and want to help. There are still a few of the old British Rail workers who are stuck in their own ways...but that will phase out in the next decade or so.

I would go back to work for them if I could just do day work.
Pros
benefits and wide range of work
Can be busy to work at.
Train Despatcher (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth6 August 2016
Can be busy to work at, split on two levels Southern trains,Great Western Trains and of course South western Trains run through this station.
Excellent
Commercial Assistant (Former Employee) –  London27 June 2016
The company has a great etwork of people who are passionate about the rail industry. The company has several perks!
One of the best companies i have worked for
Construction Manager - Station Projects (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke27 June 2016
Team culture and nothing is a problem.
Always support at any time including weekends. A little slow with information but this is the railway.

On contract but hope this will be extended
Pros
cheap lunch and free travel
Cons
covering too many projects all running side by side
It was ok until privatisation
Train driver (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon19 May 2016
Most local management and traincrew were alright to work with
Privatisation only made things worse initially, company management didn't listen to those working the job, axed a lot of drivers, then didn't have enough drivers to run the trains or learn new routes etc
The union was awful
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
Not enough time off
Fun place to work
Rail Operator (Customer Assistant) (Current Employee) –  london21 April 2016
Soutwest Trains is not a bad place to work for anyone that is just starting their career. There are opportunities in the company if you are ambitious.
Ticket Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  London26 January 2016
Typical day at work- helping passengers,
What I have learned- Train Networks
Management- supports staff
Co-workers- Team Players
Hardest part of the Job- N/A
Co-workers always good fun.
Clerical Officer (Current Employee) –  Twickenham8 December 2015
Working with my co-workers is always good fun, as we all get along.
Management does leave you alone to get on with your job, instead of interfering like some companies.
Company cares more about the money than anything else.
Pros
Free travel
productive
train presentation (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, ENG4 December 2015
good company, friendly, hard work, under good management would work there again with different hours and not nights. the hours were just not for me as i was looking to do day work and not night times.