South Wales Fire and Rescue Service

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service Employee Reviews

Excellent benefits, great culture. Fast paced busy environment whether a Firefighter or Corporate staff. High!y recommended. Career advancement available.
Pros
Free gym, canteen, free parking, pension scheme, fkexi hours
Previous work experience has included the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service as a retained fireman which gave me tremendous experience in handling difficult situations, as well as being able to respond to an alert in the least time possible. Staying calm and acting in a disciplined and controlled manner has been an important skill, as well as, community work such as fitting fire alarms to homes or speaking to large groups in schools or businesses.
Pros
Training, team atmosphere
Cons
Long hours unsociable, restricted location
You must be flexible in the role, it is a part time job that you do around your full time employment. You need to have an open mind and realise even though it's part time, it is an important job with constant training. Also, don't join thinking it will help you get into Wholetime, even with the NVQ it doesn't make a difference!
The actual job is incredible, privileged to do it and enjoy every day on my watch. Let down by an excessive level of over supervision at incidents. An over reliance on holding a "rank" to do anything outside of the station. A further obsession with trying to promote a "corporate" image rather than being quiet professionals, and finally a management culture that is riddled with risk aversion.
I have massively enjoyed my time with SWFRS and would promote working here to anyone, friendly atmosphere, understanding and family friendly culture and a really supportive management.
Pros
flexi time system, nice people.
I love this job and intend on hopefully going whole time in the near future. As a firefighter it can have its ups and downs but it is a highly rewarding job, continually bettering your skills and yourself.
Worked as retained fireman for 23years 7missed 1 letter when I moved house and they wouldn't let me join the pension scheme. I'm disgusted by the attitude they showed. I wrote letters explaining situation ,as good as told tough shi-.
A complete privilege from start to finish. Loved every minute. Wonderful people. First class building. Excellent support and care. Varied workload and top facilities.
Pros
Companionship
Cons
Moved to a rope rescue station to learn new skills. Can be a heavy workload but enjoyable. Also has a heavy rescue tender with a HIAB crane. Another good skill I have acquired.
Pros
Learning Rope Rescue.
Cons
N/a
having the wow factor. training job satisfaction worth while career. helping those in trouble both human and animals. giving advice throughout the community
Pros
well good factor
Cons
During the week of July the 2nd-6th 2018, I attended a work experience placement at South Wales Fire and Rescue Service Headquarters. Amid this week, I conveyed and finished a wide range of tasks. Towards the beginning of the week, I went out to schools to convey presentations, went out to individuals in the local communities and had an extremely good and detailed insight of what the business does. During my opportunity there, I thoroughly enjoyed each minute there and from start to finish, I needed to listen and take instructions from my leaders to complete all tasks that were given to me. Excellent time here!
Pros
Was very well looked after
Cons
Every day is different within the Fire Service and it is a safe secure environment to work within. It is a job where you work with others as a team and we are trained to look out for each other. I have been operational and also worked in a staff position and have enjoyed every minute of my role.
Loved my short stint here as a temporary accountant. The relaxed office environment and the office layout was really lovely. The staff were very friendly. Thank you all.
Pros
Flexible working time, environment
Cons
Temporary contracts available not many permanent
Work hard play hard, opportunities for promotion, assist the public in emergency situations including property fires, road traffic collisions, flooding
Pros
Great team ethic
Cons
Shift work sometimes working over Xmas etc
Amazing colleagues, forward thinking organisation and an inspiring mission. A very exciting place to be right now. A great (and important) mission which attracts many people to the business. The Trust Model is something that people understand, topical too given recent scandals. Good for a short period, you will learn something which can be taken to your next role. A good learning ground for people in their early career to learn project management skills before being snapped up by a bigger consultancy.
great place to work excellent management, working within this sector is very rewarding, always something different happening within the job role, really enjoyed home fire safety checks and helping the public.
Pros
excellent job satisfation
Cons
hourly rate
ongoing job as is a retained contract and my hours are flexible. I enojoy working as a fire fighter it has given me loads of further opportunity with other work and has helped build me as a person
Pros
Amazing job and experiences helping the public
Cons
low income
It was good. I thoroughly enjoyed working there, working as part of the business support department but not an ideal location to commute to daily.
always learning new skills and love being part of the fire service, it is an excellent job and being part of it all knowing i am a fire fighter is a brilliant feeling.
Every day theres something new with this role. Your dealing with different people with different backgrounds, so you must ensure that you treat everyone with respect. We deal with car crashes,fires at homes or it could be a safety visit at schools to young children to make them aware of fire safety.
Pros
free gym