South Wales Fire and Rescue Service Employee Reviews

Let down
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Chepstow, Monmouthshire15 September 2019
Worked as retained fireman for 23years 7missed 1 letter when I moved house and they wouldn't let me join the pension scheme. I'm disgusted by the attitude they showed. I wrote letters explaining situation ,as good as told tough shi-.
Has its moments.
Crew Manager (Current Employee) –  Malpas, Newport24 April 2019
Moved to a rope rescue station to learn new skills. Can be a heavy workload but enjoyable. Also has a heavy rescue tender with a HIAB crane. Another good skill I have acquired.
Pros
Learning Rope Rescue.
Cons
N/a
feel good
Crew commander (Former Employee) –  Various locations3 March 2019
having the wow factor.

training job satisfaction worth while career.

helping those in trouble both human and animals.

giving advice throughout the community
Pros
well good factor
Fun Workplace
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Wales30 July 2018
During the week of July the 2nd-6th 2018, I attended a work experience placement at South Wales Fire and Rescue Service Headquarters. Amid this week, I conveyed and finished a wide range of tasks. Towards the beginning of the week, I went out to schools to convey presentations, went out to individuals in the local communities and had an extremely good and detailed insight of what the business does. During my opportunity there, I thoroughly enjoyed each minute there and from start to finish, I needed to listen and take instructions from my leaders to complete all tasks that were given to me.
Excellent time here!
Pros
Was very well looked after
Every day is different
Fire Crime (Former Employee) –  Headquarters, work from Tredegar5 April 2018
Every day is different within the Fire Service and it is a safe secure environment to work within. It is a job where you work with others as a team and we are trained to look out for each other.
I have been operational and also worked in a staff position and have enjoyed every minute of my role.
Lovely place and organisation to work for
Temporary Accountant (Former Employee) –  Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff9 February 2018
Loved my short stint here as a temporary accountant. The relaxed office environment and the office layout was really lovely. The staff were very friendly. Thank you all.
Pros
Flexible working time, environment
Cons
Temporary contracts available not many permanent
Great career choice
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil30 January 2018
Work hard play hard, opportunities for promotion, assist the public in emergency situations including property fires, road traffic collisions, flooding
Pros
Great team ethic
Cons
Shift work sometimes working over Xmas etc
productive and enjoyable environment
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff20 December 2017
Amazing colleagues, forward thinking organisation and an inspiring mission. A very exciting place to be right now. A great (and important) mission which attracts many people to the business. The Trust Model is something that people understand, topical too given recent scandals.
Good for a short period, you will learn something which can be taken to your next role. A good learning ground for people in their early career to learn project management skills before being snapped up by a bigger consultancy.
professional company
Retained Fire Fighter (Former Employee) –  south wales7 December 2017
great place to work excellent management, working within this sector is very rewarding, always something different happening within the job role, really enjoyed home fire safety checks and helping the public.
Pros
excellent job satisfation
Cons
hourly rate
excellent job and responsibility
Retained Firefighter (Current Employee) –  risca3 August 2015
always learning new skills and love being part of the fire service, it is an excellent job and being part of it all knowing i am a fire fighter is a brilliant feeling.
Productive and enjoyable
fire fighter (Current Employee) –  kenfig hill bridgend9 January 2013
Every day theres something new with this role. Your dealing with different people with different backgrounds, so you must ensure that you treat everyone with respect. We deal with car crashes,fires at homes or it could be a safety visit at schools to young children to make them aware of fire safety.
Pros
free gym