South Tyneside Council Employee Reviews

Great Training & Job Security
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Tyneside19 April 2019
I only left this employment due to the jobcentre pressuring me to work 16 hours. I was only contracted 10 but would've eventually got 16. Great Training, pay slip was always correct... What more could anyone want? I'm still looking on their website for any jobs suitable for me. Would love to work for them again.
Pros
Lots
Cons
None I can think of
Great Work experience
Work Experience - Sports Development Officer (Former Employee) –  South Tyneside26 March 2019
Gaining a weeks worth of work experience as a Sports Development officer with South Tyneside council was a great way to gain more experience in a working environment at a young age. Something that will surely benefit me in my future career choices.
Terrible place to work, labourer thinks he's a manager and staff in general are lazy
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear16 February 2019
Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone due to the negative impact felt day to day, no day goes past without some sort of problem being brushed under the carpet. Workshop staff trying to be supervisory when they truly don't have the qualifications or the ability.
Pros
Some good staff
Cons
Too much complacency
Very rewarding to work with young people. The team is not ready for diversity.
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Whiteleas8 February 2019
Discrimination is spread and well rooted in South Tyneside. It's a culture and the people at the top don't even realise how they fuel it.
What's worse is that, this happens where people are supposed to be nurturing.ie working with young people.
Management can conduct themselves unprofessional and close ranks to create a bullying environment.
You job is not safe as you are always under threat by managers who are insecure in their positions.
It's not a good place to work if you are different and ambitious to do well. The culture is to cut you down and show you who is boss.
Pros
Love working with children, Counsellors and voted members are fair.
Cons
Bullying culture, no consistency, loop holes in system that managers use to drive personal dislikes, close ranks and wont change with the diverse world, poor staff moral, managers and counsellors at odds with each other.
Fun place
Hedworthfield Primary School (Former Employee) –  Jarrow19 October 2018
Hedworthfield primary is a great place to do your work experience. I was in year 10 so didnt get paid so cant fill in any salary parts. I had a fun experience working in the nursery and the office.
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
Stressful position but you are your own boss
Ground Works - CEO (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear21 August 2018
This position was quite stressful dealing with traffic violations and abuse from public. but the plus side is that when you were on duty you wouldn't be hassled by your boss and could manage your patrols with why you wanted to.
Pros
Free Roam
Cons
Abusive public
largest employer in South Tyneside
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear21 June 2018
Fast paced working environment working to deadlines. Lack of management support and training. Flexi-time is good and holiday entitlement good and pension benefits also good.
Pros
flexi-time
Cons
Enjoyed every day working with staff
ICS/Swift Systems Admin (Former Employee) –  South Shields8 March 2018
A real pleasure to have worked for South Tyneside Council. Staff were brilliant, helpful and concerned for the success of the project for the new system implementation.The project team, my contracted colleagues, involved council staff were all efficient, professional people.
Worked with BT (IT partner) and council staff of long standing and experience - all really helpful and cooperative.
Also the area, South Shields, was a nice place to stay and again the people were great.
my first Job
Industrial Cleaner P/T (Former Employee) –  Tyne and Wear22 November 2017
great fun working as a cleaner at my old school. only part time but really enjoyed it.
i took great pleasure in telling off my old teachers for walking on my clean floors.
productive and fun
foreshore cleansing opp / handy-estates (Former Employee) –  South Shields27 October 2017
South TyneSide Council was good to work for each day was something new i loved it and cant wait to get back next season i enjoyed doing tasks such as keeping the beach clean and tidy , litter picking the fair and keeping surrounding estates clean and tidy
Pros
good wadges
Pool Lifeguard
Pool Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Hebburn18 September 2017
Ensure the safety of the service user
Administer first aid when required
Reception duties, take payments, memberships, swimming lesson bookings
Ensure the building is clean
Part-take in staff training sessions
Good
Kitchen Staff Member (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear24 August 2017
great for people with children who have to have school holidays off hard work but great people to work with and friendly atmosphere. great boss and staff
great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  South Tyneside, Tyne and Wear3 August 2017
It was good I learned valued life skills including confidence and public speaking. I took part in residential outings and met with a wide range of other people.
Average
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear4 July 2017
Good place to work, the colleagues were the best part of the job but they did offer great progression and courses to further yourself. The only downfall I can say is the zero hour contracts.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Zero hour contract
Good work life balance and pay was above average
Supervisory Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Tyneside, Tyne and Wear8 June 2017
only worked for a few hours a day supporting on a lunchtime, occasional training and staff meetings increased wage. Support from the employer available whenever needed
good for casual work.
Lifeguard/Leisure Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hebburn, Tyne and Wear6 June 2017
The job is good for casual work when working as a student alongside. The management of the shifts and general place can be poor with a lack of useful staff training at times. Shift times are not bad and they can be flexible where necessary. People are nice to work with.
good workplacr
Child Care Officer (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear5 June 2017
Excellent company to work for good training in house and outside
Positive supervision process
Excellant rates of pay
Good promotions
Very workforce friendly
Pros
flexible
productive workplace
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  South Tyneside30 May 2017
Involved when it was first introduced. I felt like I had made a good impression and gained new skills which gave me opportunities to new lines of work in social work.
Pros
New experience and led to new opportunities.
Productive workplace
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Tyne and Wear30 May 2017
I had gained a lot of work experience and also it was a friendly environment. I was a strong member of the team and created productive work whilst working with south tyneside council.
Pros
Easy to travel to and familiar with other professionals.
Cons
Cut short due to agency work
kitchen assistant
school supervisary assistant (Former Employee) –  south shields28 May 2017
I worked at various schools in south Tyneside, each school was different with some being friendly and some not so friendly.travelling from different locations.the good thing was being off when the kids were off . I enjoyed working with the children
Pros
working during school hours