South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

productive place, great work values and supportive team members
Working in the operating theatres and on other departments within the organisation has given me a greqt deal of insight into working well as a team and developing other skills neccessary in life and in business.
Working in areas that develop good clinical practice and interpersonal skills on many levels has alos helped me to develop as a person.
Pros
Great teams, flexible working when needed
Cons
Long hours, physically demanding work
Tick box, blame culture.
James Cook hospital is continuously short staffed. Quite often to be honest. Management do nothing to try an elevate the problem but bury their head in the sand and expect staff just to get on with the job. Staff are actively told to lie to patients and not tell them we are short staffed, despite a so called ‘open and honest culture’. They are too focussed on a ‘tick box culture’, ensuring targets for CQC are met regarding paperwork etc.. However, they are only concerned with the box being ticked to show achievement and Not concerned with the quality of that information or levels of care.

There is currently a bullying culture throughout the trust when staff are ill. They are not supported in their return to work, and any agreed plans to aid return to work are not stuck to but just used as a means to threaten staff that their job is at risk.

Staff are expected to attend mandatory training in their own time, not during work time. Their are told that they will be given time owing, but this often disappears in the rota system to be never seen again. They operate on a knee jerk reaction policy, ie, staff are not given time for mandatory training, which they are legally obliged to.. However, When this was highlighted and they were given a poor mark in a CQC inspection, suddenly everyone was threatened with file notes if their mandatory training was not up to date.

Equally, it was also identified by the CQC that staff development reviews were not taking place yearly as they should be. Yet again, a push was made to to ensure these were completed. However, these were yet
 - more...
productive and professional
fantastic place to volunteer. gives fabulous experience and skills for future employment. a great group of people who work well together in providing fast and professional work .
Good work life balance
Very flexible with family/partners shifts, not bad money always overtime (25K+) management and colleagues are spot on, 7weeks annual leave to start, enhanced payments for nights and weekend working also it's nice to meet patients and be appreciated.
Pros
Good team, good money, 7 weeks holiday.
Cons
Long 13 hr days
Tight knit, supportive environment, good opportunities to assimilate and improve nursing skills
Having worked with this particular group for almost 15 years, I have always found my colleagues generous and supportive, both professionally and personally. The environment is becoming more challenging as the philosophy and role of the unit evolves, but I would regard Ward 37 as a good place to work, especially if a prospective member of the team wishes to learn and expand upon their nursing skills, as the unit admits a variety of patients with a wide range of health issues, chronic illnesses, but primarily acute conditions.
Pros
Good supportive colleagues, wide range of experiences.
Cons
Very busy (not necessarily a con)
A well run organisation
Despite the operational challenges facing the NHS this employer responds well to change and supports staff to raise concerns. As it is such a large trust it offers a great deal of opportunities for career progression. As with all hospital trusts staffing can be an issue which can impact upon work life balance.
Current employee
I dont know why i still work here, pathetic management who dont listen and dont work weekends.
Broken equipment that never gets repaired unless you do it yourself if possible, poor pay, parking is a joke the company is in liquidation shouldnt it be free to all?

The autovalet for staffis cleaned once a week and chairs are continuous removed in there for staff to sit.

I hope to leave this job soon
Pros
Parking at weekend
Cons
Pay never correct, parking on weekday, pay in general and management
Productive and Busy Work Place
The pathology lab within James Cook Hospital is very fast paced and can be quite stressful at times, the outlook of the hospital is very patient centric and everyone works hard in order to deliver a constant service at the expected level.
However personality conflict can affect the atmosphere within the work place making it unpleasant to work there.

Overall the work is interesting as it uses the application of Science to aid the medical teams treating patients, as well as working with technology to improve efficiency.
Pros
Interesting, Fast Paced
Cons
Long Hours, Conflict
Friendly and supportive environment
I have been supported well whilst working here. I enjoy working for the trus and they provide some good training opportunities.
The hours are long and the shift work can be very difficult if you’re switching for days to nights all of the time.
Pros
3 day working week.
Cons
Mixed shifts
Supplying Hospital Data
All clinical data had to be generated to reflect the performance of the hospitals performance to meet Health Authority Guidelines. It was demanding role to collate and validate data and present meaningful statuary reports to the key standards "Your Guide to the NHS"
Pros
Good Pension
Cons
Maintaining Accuracy of Information
Good workplace
good management support. All staff hard working. Enjoyed the role especially data analysis work. Felt valued and part of the wider team. Nice environment although parking was a problem.
Pros
Line Management Support
Demoralising
I have resigned recently from this trust after taking time off due to work related illnesses
I feel that the management did little in the way of support and made little effort to resolve work related issues .

Increased workload due to poor staffing levels is unsustainable .

Poor staff moral and a general feeling of being pushed to ones limit has meant the staff are now leaving in droves .

The best aspect of the job is the colleagues and friendships formed over the many years .
Pros
Friendships
Cons
Very stressful
Business Orientated Now
Too Business Orientated these days . No interest in patients or staff anymore too interested in money .
I worked at a small community hospital in Thirsk for over 13 years and thoroughly enjoyed my job until South Tees Trust took over and everything changed until eventually they closed the hospital down to save money. - never mind the poor patients and staff
Pros
10%duscount at a few places but not available in this area
Cons
Long hours, low pay, no staff morale
Enthusiastic and professional trust
Excellent place to work, the trust is enthusiastic at putting patient care first and focuses on high levels of patient care, staff are trained to a high level and are a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Car parking
Medical Secretary
I love the job I do but salary is absolutely ridiculous. The pressure and responsibility we have to manage waiting lists and bed rotation apart from general Secretarial duties does not warrant a salary of £16,800. Up to 10 hours a day with half hour lunch and management who don't give a stuff.
Pros
Cons
Where do I start
Excellent environment to work
As a porter, I was trained extensively in each role covered by the department. No two days were ever the same. If your a people person, hard working and willing to take on extra shifts and be flexible, this is the perfect career path and employer for you.

I loved the Three years I spent there and would happily return in a heartbeat!
Pros
Good boss, great working environment, friendly colleagues
Cons
N/a
Stable Employer and Good Co-Workers
Good place to work for stability, great staff to work with. Would recommend this place to work over my 20+ years of experience. The most enjoyable part of the job is the forecasting, trend, variance analysis and working alongside the service management team who you provide the financial advice and guidance too.

The hardest part of the job is the unpredictable work expectations at short notice for non value added activities.
Pros
Stable employer, good pension benefits
Cons
Long Hours