South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust

South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom22 reviews
Great
It was a great experience, and I received amazing training too which allowed me to succeed in my role as a volunteer. The role was also great, and I received support throughout.
You must be able to use common sense
I throughly enjoyed my time with Slam
The work culture Also being a Mental hospital there are very in tune with the mental health of their employees, Which

I found was a great help in dealing with

The Stress full nature of inpatient, and

Outpatients clients.
Busy work place
This was an extremely busy role, where I had to take minutes at all MDT meetings for this role I had to cover several different sites and I had to type up allot of clinical letters using audio dictation. I also had scan all documents that came in and I had book all appointments.

I enjoyed the variety of the role and the dealing with patients , I found that be very rewarding. I found the hardest part of this role was dealing with conflicting tasks and meeting the deadlines .
ok
my team was great. SMT was not so much not very supportive and too much micro management.

loved my team great people and very understanding and supportive
Unsupportive management
The support given to junior staff from the upper management is very poor and staff are generally underappreciated. There are numerous managers with roles that no one really knows what it is they actually do on a daily basis.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Unsupportive and dismissive management system.
Good
I enjoyed working there and it's have a patient's centred approached in place which guide the staffs as a tool. Amazing site both the Bethlehem Royal Hospital and the maudsley
Challenging but rewarding
Dealing with service users with mental health problems. Learnt a lot about the differences with mental health. Very mismanaged. The workplace sometimes very cold and clinical. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the service users.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Good training to build your skills
Working in mhoa could be challenging at times but also very rewarding to achieve making a difference to someone's life. Every day could bring different challenges but we all supported one another. When you have good team you can accomplish so much. I've met so many people from all walks of life and found it so interesting to find out patients life stories.
Former employee
After 20 years plus of service i resigned from my post on sickness following frequent and severe assaults. These incidents were compounded by a lack of suitable trained staff on shift and e.g. staff maintaining composure during incidents.Management support was to ask if i wanted counselling and that i should seek police involvement My GP asked if anyone had been in contact with me to enquire about my well being. I replied they had not and in fact never did.I was required to write in twice in order to obtain a response to my resignation. A termination letter was sent to me with a post it note slapped on simply saying Hi name do you want a leaving do on this date ? As to how i was meant to engage with a post it note i do not know. Despite several requests no references were provided for me. Breaks were difficult to take and were disturbed by patient demands, telephone calls, emergency bleeps and alarms. I was finally paid for working shifts after a five month wait with numerous emails and phone calls. Near to leaving i was given a passed on message that i would not in future have any input into my off duty with a new off duty not reflecting any of the requests i had asked for.This was not helpful as i took a relative to frequent hospital appointments and that of assisting in a community group As i was sick i rang an HR individual asking for an exit interview form however they were unclear as to what this was and was sure i could obtain this from the intranet.!!. Had i felt listened to, valued and looked after i would have continued in service.
Pros
i was left to wonder
Cons
please see comments.
A place with many opportunities if you are motivated
This organisation offers lots of opportunity to develop. It is an equal opportunities employer with a multi-cultural workforce.

As many Trust in the UK there is nurse shortages but the organisation still strives to offer the best possible care to our client group or service users and carer's.

No day is the same and there is enough to challenge and develop you as an individual. If you are intrinsically motivated and passionate about quality care, there are always great developmental opportunities within the organisation, particularly in research and quality improvement.

There are things that we can improve but overall it is a good place to work in terms of personal development, equal opportunity and flexibility.
Pros
Childcare Vouchers, NHS Pension, Centrally Located, Bike Scheme, links to the Institute of Psychiatry
Cons
Shortage of nurses
Not a very good place for central administration
Can't talk for the clinical services but the central services are appalling. Senior line management is done by whitewashing mainly. There are people there that do not justify their salary and nastiness is common. The only good thing to say about the place is if you find people with the same outlook as you then they usually become friends for life due to what you have collectively been through.
Pros
Not a lot is expected of you and good salary
Cons
virtually everything else
Adult Mental Health social activities
As a volunteer, my duty is to assist the management to support social activities to patients from Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) service users in Peckham South London.The activities intended to enhance the quality of service users' lives. I participate in activities, promoting events and workshops Interaction of social activities with service users such as playing table tennis, conversing, dominoes, playing cards, theatre trips and organise wakings and serving them with refreshments, drinks and hot meals reduce their social isolation and loneliness experienced by BME. Workplace culture reflects African Caribbean social activities mentioned above and West Indies hot meal cuisines.
The hardest part of the job is listening about their moving real stories and the effects of their medical condition while the most enjoyable part is when they are enjoying their home made food, listening reggae music and playing dominoes games. I really enjoy the moment and feel I have contributed to their well-being.
Pros
enhancing their quality of lie by simple social activities
Cons
Service users' Unsuitable hours
very educational
This was my first placement as a social work student, this organisation provided me with the opportunity to develop as a student and learning about integrative working and professional boundary
Pros
provided good social work learning and care
Cons
Lack means of providing leadership role to students
Do not work there
There was a culture of promoting junior staff (not those of colour) instead of senior, experienced and capable staff (of colour) - nurses! The nurses did not feel supported. Many nurses did not stay long in their jobs. If one was not the blue-eyed type, then one could forget moving up in one's career.
I do not advise anyone who is a high achiever to work there. It is not what it says on the cover. No diversity in Mnagement/Directors - if there were people of colour there, the establishment found a way to get rid!! Everybody knew this.
Pros
Cons
No support from Management or HR
Innovation
Good place to work, people are friendly and welcoming. The overall direction of IT is one of innovation and the organisation are striving to utilise latest technology to improve healthcare.
Limited Spaces
Lambeth Early Onset,what a place,the receptionists are rude,the care coordinators don't know how to do their jobs and no one cares,no staff return your calls when your distressed,no treatment for client and nil help for families,if your given a doctor to see,your one of the lucky ones.When you look at their website it all sounds so good,words mean nothing,action does.A client would get more help in a third world country
I gained a lot of experience at south London and Maudsley and that experience motivated me to take up my nursing career. However, at times colleagues can be difficult to work with.
Pros
Training Opportunities
Cons
Colleuges can be challenging at times
extrovert can gel well with others, productive, hard working and easy going individual
work in busy admission ward which is the single point of entry for all patients in the unit. in a day admission assessment can vary from 0-7 depending on level of acuity of the ward and patients. it can get busy and while trying to handle the admission there are ward activities to be carried out such as patients meals, medication, daily community meetings, ward rounds, answering calls, attending to patients needs and providing high quality care for patients. Also attending to visitors meeting with carers and also liaising with other professions and wards ensuring that patient care and needs are been met. In the mix of this as a charge nurse also might meet up with junior staff offering supervision and training. Doing daily audits on the ward and deputising the ward manager.

What I learnt: is an unpredictable ward and often things do not go according to plan instead of getting stressed or angry and channel all my energy in other things and have learnt to identify when i need to take time out and also manage my stress well.

Management: is not an individual single sole person role it involves team work constant effective communication, following protocols having standard, its evidence based, audits, monitoring and measuring, people, services and organisation and how you can make develop better service for patients and staff.

my co-workers that we are all different and have different skills and development needs and we work different with each other based either on our preference or interests on that person. I embrace individuality and diversity and equality.

The hardest
 - more...
Pros
tea and coffee facilities
Cons
long distance travelling
Productive and fun
i really enjoyed my work experience with this company, you always had work to do, I learned that working for this company, 'SLAM' (South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust) that they help the public with everyday stresses and that it is not just for mental health issues. My co-workers were brilliant! working together in a team was very fulfilling as you had support, great advice and were always willing to help. Thea hardest part was having to eave the company. i enjoyed everything about it.
Pros
Staff members
Cons
it wasn't long enough
This was a very ongoing working environment.
My previous job was very ongoing which I liked i.e. lots of diary management, arranging lots of meetings, preparing agendas etc, I did like the position, but left because of the style of management.

This was a temporary position and felt that I would like a permanent position now.

The overall rating for this company is 3 stars.
Cons
It was a very good organisation to work for.
I enjoyed working as an Assistant Psychologist and would love another opportunity like this.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
South London And Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Job Title