South Lanarkshire Leisure & Culture

South Lanarkshire Leisure & Culture Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews
Great place to work, friendly staff, fast paced and extremely beneficial work.
best part of the job was the variety of people that I got to work with, hardest part was some shift were last minute but they were usualy beneficil and helped me gain more exprrience.
During coaching sessions I get in around 15 minutes early to set up and get a register etc, when the children arrive we do a warm up, a stretch and then get into some usual activities of the session
It is important to be well rounded and able to work in many parts of the centers etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the public and helping them achieve their Goals
Typical big company, Either too many chiefs trying to micro manage or distanced from staff.
Manger

Gym DO Pool DO Swim Coordinator Admin DO

Gym assistants Lifeguards Facility Staff

Good example regularly used equipment needing replaced could take months to be done.

Leisure industry is customer based.
Good place to work, friendly staff and chance for possible career progression. Good experience to collaborate with internal and external agencies to progress career.
I took up a professional enhancement placement with SLLC in October of 2016 and was responsible for organising disability sport events for those living with various impairments in South Lanarkshire. The experience in itself was valuable and one that I look back on with a sense of accomplishment seeing the young athletes faces light up.
South Lanarkshire Leisure Centre takes great care of their employees and treats them with the respect that they deserve, all of the staff team are easy to approach.
A typical day at work is fun and I learned a lot from co-workers who are very supportive. The management in some facilities is excellent but others are unorganized. The most rewarding part of the job is working with the children.
a typical day would involve opening and processing the mail and dealing with customers over the counter and on the phone. I learned lots of different leisure booking packages. The management can be somewhat inconsistent in their decision making and instructions. The workplace culture is very typical of a local authority organisation. The hardest part of the job can be dealing with awkward customers which is typical for all customer service jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with regular customers and clients and offering good service.
Pros
job for life
Cons
pay is not great although pretty standard for local authority.
During my time working for SLLC, i have been able to see a lot of the job roles within SLLC. And been able to have a try at a few of them.
They are very supportive of your education, and qualifications you want to achieve out with the trust.
i was a play service assistant helping children through play and exercise worked as part of a 4 person team. i really enjoyed this and this made me develop my own skills to move into sports coaching with children and young people with disabilities
I enjoy working in a team environment with outgoing people who have the same interests as me. With this job I have improved my leadership skills by taking my own groups whilst coaching and thus improving my communication skills.
Really enjoyed working here was sad to have to leave due to personal reasons. Friendly Place to work, great hours, nice environment.
Pros
friendly
Cons
nothing
Decent place to work and have been fortunate to be a part of a great team to the stage I'd class them as almost family. However, I believe that the trust employs far too many people on part-time contracts and there are very few opportunities for full-time roles - to the point where you have to think that certain contracts are hardly worthwhile taking due to so little hours on offer. A lot of employees, myself included, are taking on multiple contracts across different roles in order to gain a better salary.

After initial training at the start of employment with the company, it is almost a feeling that you are in a battle to get more training to try and progress rather than management trying to really develop you. Certain courses that are available often end up getting cancelled but often you only find out when you turn up at the location only to find that it has been cancelled, therefore communication is a big issue. At times you can't help but feel that you are working under a "glass ceiling".

It can be a rewarding job when working with the public and helping people to achieve their goals however, as with most roles dealing with the public, you can find yourself on the receiving end of abuse with little support from above.
Pros
Great colleagues, largely a pleasant place to work
Cons
hours can be restrictive for certain roles, management can be non-existent
worked with a great team who worked well together to achieve high levels of productivity focusing on customer service. learned lots of new skills and enjoyed working with the public on a daily basis. plenty of opportunities to be sent on courses to further your skills.
Pros
holidays
Cons
nights/weekends
My roles within these positions are mainly to manage the day to day running of the gym and the sport centres and this included tasks from ensuring the customers had an excellent experience to completing the days financing and organising rotas and covering shifts. As a receptionist I also had to manage the booking system for both the gym and the sport centres as well as be the first line of contact with all customers so making sure that they again had an excellent experience.
Pros
Every day is different
Cons
Unsociable hours
something diffrent everyday, great people to work with, as many hours or as less as you want.
exellent training
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Fantastic place to work but will only ever be part time hours
Pros
Cons
part time
Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Lanarkshire Leisure & Culture. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2