South Lanarkshire Council Employee Reviews

Jobs for the boys
Road worker (Former Employee) –  Larkhall canderside depo17 April 2019
The ones who get ahead have no knees in there trousers and when they get a wee bit of power they expect the same from those below.Thanks but no thanks.The roads department with the council is the pits.
Pros
Time off if you are sick
Cons
You are on call and will work all the hours god sends you have to write off 6 months of the year
great company
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  south lanarkshire2 March 2019
i found the slc a great place to work for even thou i was there a short time,if i was needed else where there wouldnt be a problem finding hours and work
Pros
always work available
Cons
most of the jobs are part time or temp
Productive and ever changing
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, South Lanarkshire21 February 2019
I have been with SLC for 13 years and have had no problems.
The people are friendly and I enjoy the variety of work I get involved in .
I would recommend this place if work to any young person
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
No promotion
neptism still in the council un trustworthy organisation
Seasonal Gardener (Former Employee) –  Strathaven15 January 2019
I was with south Lanarkshire council for three grass cutting seasons and never again, the atmosphere at first is made to seem a lot farer and easier going but once you are reeled in way different, allocation of fulltime jobs are that of an unfair advantage , not based upon merit but who you have family wise working in the council, if you are not also in the clique you are not thought of, if you point out heath and safety breaches you are given a hard time, the fulltime staff do not care about the work input they just want to sit in a van all day, quality of work and pride of what you get in the job is not desired and they just don't care about the public if public make any criticism or rightful complaints its brushed under the carpet, folks do not waste your time going for a job in the organisation and more importantly they create issues and screw your wages up for three months of the year and don't care
Pros
good working hours
Cons
lack of pride, neptism, lack of health and safety, singled out
Underpaid
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, South Lanarkshire15 October 2018
Not paid correctly for what I do I have colleagues on a higher rate of pay than me for the same job.
I think there is Poor management and I am Not treated equally
I was disciplined for an unavoidable absence also therefore I think the policies seriously need looked at.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
underpaid
Painful
Housing Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire11 October 2018
South Lanarkshire council seemed great in the beginning with the perks and salary however in many offices plenty of gossiping and backstabbing was extremely common. Management was terrible little was able to be done with someone like myself who has learning difficulties; I did not feel equal, I was patronised.
Changes ahead
Revenue Assistant - Systems and Support (Current Employee) –  Blantyre, South Lanarkshire11 October 2018
I have worked for South Lanarkshire Council for 16 years and have enjoyed job security, however, advancement is now more restricted due to budget cuts
Irregular work, but can be rewarding
School Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride17 September 2018
Working as a School Support Assistant on the Supply Register was a variable experience: there was no guarantee of regular work. Long gaps between placements were quite common. Job satisfaction varied widely depending upon individual schools' ethos .
Pros
Term time contracts. Working school hours.
Cons
Work not regular.
stable and satisfing job
School Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, South Lanarkshire8 September 2018
My only issue is rate of pay for school support staff even when you have a unique skill i.e. a high qualification in British Sign Language or help assist children with disabilities assisting with meals and personnel care, hoisting etc. in a mainstream school when other support staff who don't do these extra duties get paid the same rate.
Pros
school holidays
Cons
no overtime or extra shifts to make up a decent wage
Brilliant staff.
Council Officer (Current Employee) –  Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire18 June 2018
Great to work for local council , helping the public day in and day out and providing great customer service. Management also very good with staff and competitive pay.
Pros
great workforce
Cons
none.
Okay
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton30 May 2018
Okay but hierarchical at times. Little room for progression unless your service is over 10 years or so. Little support from management and no proper training.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Reliable job with plenty of work to do
Road worker (Current Employee) –  Lesmahagow28 April 2018
Southlanarkshire council is a good reliable job overtime is there if you want it especially in the winter time it can be hard going at times which i like because it keeps me relatively fit i like too be kept busy
Pros
Free work clothing
Cons
Can be long hours doing winter maintenance
i enjoyed my job
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Larkhall, South Lanarkshire13 April 2018
i enjoyed my work with the elderly learning about their lives and knowing i was making a difference by helping them with their daily care, social, metal and all other needs
Pros
council based
Cons
shift work
Good overall environment
customer care and responsibilities of employment (Former Employee) –  Blantyre, South Lanarkshire10 April 2018
I worked as a trainee on part of a further education scheme for most of a year and thoroughly enjoyed myself I feel like I learned a lot and gained a good life experience.
Hard work but rewarding
School Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Strathaven16 March 2018
A typical day at work is challenging but fun and I learned a lot from co-workers who are very supportive. The management in the school I work in is excellent. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the children.
productive work place
Clerical/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Lanarkshire26 February 2018
I enjoyed my time working for south Lanarkshire council as the hours suited and was a fun outgoing and fast passed environment, Unfortunately I was only temporary and there was no further work after I finished.
n/a
School Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Lanarkshire29 January 2018
No training given to deal with pupils who have mental health issues or physical disabilities. Not enjoyable environment to work in. Working conditions were not great.
Warden
Community Warden (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, South Lanarkshire11 January 2018
Responding to anti-social behaviour incidents.
Be able to be able to handle conflict and aggression
Reporting incidents on a weekly basis.
Informing the council and other authorities about environmental problems
Making sure empty properties are safe and secure.
Supporting older and vulnerable people in the area.
Good basic job
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire1 October 2017
The job itself was easy to do and the pay was decent. however when doing overtime i would write down ALL hours completed as you often have to phone wages and chase them every month due to being underpaid.
Job security isn't guaranteed as staff job cuts are made now and again.
Pros
Decent job
Cons
Not enough hours
Overall good
Ground Worker (Former Employee) –  South Lanarkshire6 September 2017
Worked as etf and then sessional work cutting grass cleaneding graves good people to work with no complaints about the staff left here to get my psv license
Pros
Finish early on a Friday
Cons
Working in every whether