South Kesteven District Council

South Kesteven District Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews
Council is good for many reasons. Mine was job security and pension. The job is great for exercise and health and options to.progress later in your career
Pros
Pension
Cons
Appreciation
Took 2 years to get me a contract and after they decided to finally give me one I was offered less money than I was originally on for the previous 2 years. Then decided to bring in a manager and lower my position down from manager who had no idea what was involved and how to do my job and paid this useless manager £30k a year after not even having an interview for the role, no job was even advertised. So in summary no career progression unless you know someone and can be a managers pet. No job security, no loyalty, poorly run and will have no problem pushing loyal employees out so friends and family can come in.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Be a friend or relative and you will get paid way more than what the position should be
The housing department is a poor department. Recently new managers came in from Melton and changed all that was good and have made the department stressful to work in. They have managed to bring phone duty in, which results in housing officers spending a day a week just answering a telephone. Yet the same manager expect housing officers to maintain a patch of 1200 properties each, all asb issues, transfers, successions assessments of tenancy attend meeting, prepare all your own court work and attend court. All garden enquires, estate inspections. Yes thats right all of this on 4 days a week as one day is spent answering a telephone.

If you take a day or anytime off on holiday the work just sits there.

Managers will not promote from within, and 90% of jobs go to external staff giving you no reason to want to stay there as if a job does come up they wont promote internal staff.

Poor department lead by poor team leader / service lead / and managers.

Bullying is common in the department, and numerous staff just take months off for no reason at all leaving the rest under lots of stress.

Avoid this place at all cost!
Whilst I worked for the council for 21 years I was happy in my first job. But was offered redundancy after 16 years. I decided to apply for another job with them in the hope of working until my retirement date. However I was again faced with redundancy and because of the bullying culture and the favouritism that was going on I decided enough was enough. No matter how much you go over and above. It is not appreciated. Don’t put yourself out they do not appreciate it.
Pros
30 days holiday. EAP service.
Cons
No respect from most managers. Managers who do not know their jobs and do not support.
I worked for a short time in housing as a housing officer via agency. I ended my contract early as very poor department.
They expect you out and doing visits as constantly emailed by managers telling you to hit your PI's.

Yet at the same time they are emailing you asking you to sit in the office on phone duty and basically wait for the phone to ring. Which the concept in its self is out dated like the management.

They cannot see that to focus on tenants you need time to be out, my past management experience saw this place was run poorly on day one. Simply to fix, following housing association concept, get office staff to answer phones and allow staff to be field based. In the end I left, very in the past housing council service.
Pros
Nothing comes to mind.
Cons
Stuck in the past council with managers that lack experience and vision.
Worked in Housing as an Housing Officer, place is change shy. New working methods brought in of flex working but managers soon get this changed back. Job should be field based but poor management styles sooner have staff sat in an office than be tenant facing out and about. Lots of stress, poor staff well being.
Pros
Cons
None flexible hours, poor management
Good holiday entitlement good pension scheme suitable hours good sick pay depending on department you work in waste and recycling is easy work once stuck in
The leader of CEO have great vision, but when its comes to getting these ideas and new work styles passed down to staff level it gets stopped. Flexible working has never been fully implemented and old management styles get brought back in which prevent new change being put in place. To much middle management which could go, as they just stop progress and are stuck in the past. Result is lots of staff going off with stress.
Pros
Job for life if you want it.
Cons
Poor managers, flexible working not put in place.
flexible hours which helped working around family life. some very friendly collegues who helped brighten your day. unfortunately a visible divide between office staff and other workers.
Work rate differed depending on where you was located in the area, however the work itself stayed the same. The management was always fair. However with so many employees guaranteed holidays wasn't always there.
Pros
Short days
Cons
No advancement
One of the lowest payed councils in the country, But one of the richest. Full of false promises, if you work in the waste and recycling section there is no chance of carrer progression. As with a lot of companies if your face fits Avoid at all costs
Pros
Early finish
Cons
Low pay, false promises
Fantastic team. Responsive with a good sense of humour and some creative thinking. Resources are always an issue in local authority so prioritising work is the key.

Hardest part was leaving the team at the depot.
It was a good job, I enjoyed meeting new people and talking with the public, the people you work with are always happy and joking and the company as a whole was good to work for.
Pros
Early finish
Cons
Injurys/ illness
Has lost sight of service delivery to customers. Focus on initiatives that don't amount to anything - soundbites and tick-boxing. Top heavy with management.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Treated as a number, not a person, staff morale very low
You need to be fit and able to work in all weathers.
Flexible and a team player.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Short pay
Friendly collegues and staff
Balanced working conditions
A typical workday would involve providing administrational support to the HR business partners and manager. Tasks would involve document drafting, answering the telephone, dealing with queries and filing paperwork. I learned what it is like to work in a HR department, disciplinary and grievance procedures and how to analyse and write reports. Management and co-workers were absolutely fantastic. My whole time at the council was a wonderful experience.
Pros
Staff
Force to quit the post as the parking enforcement operation, including on-street parking enforcement iscontracting out to a privately run company.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at South Kesteven District Council. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7